ADVERTISEMENT

New University President?

I still can't find it but did find this:

their study based on faculty voter registration along with partisan affiliation of federal contributions listed in the 2019 Federal Elections database.

That doesn't sound like self reporting but it would help if I can find the citation you are talking about and actually read what it says. But like I said, there are a lot more articles out there than just this one. Meanwhile, try to find a study that shows college professors give overwhelmingly to Republicans. Bet you cannot.
It is the actual underlying study referenced in the article and made into a sensational headline by the Examiner. I quoted from.the study. Follow the link mentioned in it. The assertion is so over the top (90% of university professors, nationally BTW!) that I had to go and see how they were making the claim. It looks like the "reporter" did not read it carefully either, or at least didn't want to point out the flaws in the study, but I guess that is "advocacy" journalism these days. When I was younger, reporters tried to be more balanced. I already outlined why I think the claim is very dubious at best, and I'm trying to be polite.

Last edited:
Is being polite a problem for you? Did you find any OTHER studies that refute it? Have you even looked? Do you even care?
Already gave you my refutation in detail above. I even quoted the study you referenced. It's fine if you don't want to debate it. Don't want to waste more time on it than I already have. Wish you well anyway. Go, Gamecocks.

Seems to me that the State University of SC should have as its number 1 goal the education of its population! To strive to be an Academic Elite University is a worthy goal but secondary to moving from the bottom of the rankings of states in education.
West Virginia University uses that model and they are the laughing stock of state universities...I say we raise the stock of our university and thus those South Carolinians who want to go to the State University of South Carolina will put in the work necessary to put themselves in a position to get accepted...we should not have an open enrollment....is the public school education in North Carolina ranked higher than South Carolina? IF so, how much? You think UNC Chapel Hill would lower their standards to accommodate their public school systems?

I would expect a pragmatic approach to business, mathematics, and the sciences. History, literature, and philosophy, not so much.
One segment of the BLM movement wants to drop Math from the curriculum due to the fact race can't be tied to Math....the one thing about Math is, is that it builds from Simple Math to Multi-Variable Calculus and beyond...if a student starts floundering in Pre-Algebra/Algebra, IMO it would be hard to get to Geometry, Calculus and beyond...I wish this was stressed more in the public schools that if you are going to far in the mathematics field, you MUST realize all the math classes you are taking is building to the next...You just can't simply go from making a C in Calculus to making an A in Multi Variable Calculus...Trust me I KNOW from experience...

Reactions: king ward
...the one thing about Math is, is that it builds from Simple Math to Multi-Variable Calculus and beyond...if a student starts floundering in Pre-Algebra/Algebra, IMO it would be hard to get to Geometry, Calculus and beyond...I wish this was stressed more in the public schools that if you are going to far in the mathematics field, you MUST realize all the math classes you are taking is building to the next...You just can't simply go from making a C in Calculus to making an A in Multi Variable Calculus...Trust me I KNOW from experience...

Good discussion.

Why do you think students don't know this already? I think this is obvious- and teachers tell students this constantly.

My high school senior loves computers and wanted to study computer science in college like my other child does now but he's had such a problem in Pre-Calculus (he passed but it was very hard on him) that he's given up on computer science.

Now, I tried to prevent him from giving up on it 100 times but he keeps referring to the pre-calculus class as the reason he's not going to pursue it- even though computer science is clearly what he's good at. He knows he'll have to take more math. I've told him he can do it if he focuses and all he needs to do is pass those classes in college but he thinks it's not possible to pass calculus and calculus 2 in college based on his experience with pre-cal in high school.

My current college junior didn't ace calculus but it came a bit easier and now as a college junior, he's passed those classes and currently has a 3.5 GPA in Computer Science.

I really think kids know quickly after taking a couple of high school math classes that it builds on itself.

I regularly teach at the Business School and spend time in other classes there. I have never seen any faculty member “indoctrinate” anyone. In fact the faculty is rather moderate and doesn’t push an agenda. The only agenda is to teach the kids to the best of their ability and get them jobs. This 90% quote is garbage and doesn’t fit with my real world experience.

People watch too much cable news and listen too much talk radio.

If you listen to some of that junk, you think every college professor is forcing their beliefs on everyone. It's so silly. I mean, how does one "FORCE" their beliefs on someone anyway? I am still unaware how someone truly forces someone to believe what they believe. I've had a lot of people attempt that with me, but it's never worked yet.

As I have said numerous times and say again- college students are ADULTS. They aren't children. They choose where they go to school.

BTW- do these folks think that the colleges out there that are known to be more Conservative think those professors or schools never "indoctrinate" anyone? I mean I've received some of their literature here at my home with marketing pitches like "Come to where your beliefs will be upheld and supported."

Good discussion.

Why do you think students don't know this already? I think this is obvious- and teachers tell students this constantly.

My high school senior loves computers and wanted to study computer science in college like my other child does now but he's had such a problem in Pre-Calculus (he passed but it was very hard on him) that he's given up on computer science.

Now, I tried to prevent him from giving up on it 100 times but he keeps referring to the pre-calculus class as the reason he's not going to pursue it- even though computer science is clearly what he's good at. He knows he'll have to take more math. I've told him he can do it if he focuses and all he needs to do is pass those classes in college but he thinks it's not possible to pass calculus and calculus 2 in college based on his experience with pre-cal in high school.

My current college junior didn't ace calculus but it came a bit easier and now as a college junior, he's passed those classes and currently has a 3.5 GPA in Computer Science.

I really think kids know quickly after taking a couple of high school math classes that it builds on itself.
It's an ascending order of difficulty for most people, but if you're headed into to certain fields, you aren't going to skirt those disciplines. I knew after Algebra III/Trigonometry that I needed to go in another direction.

It's an ascending order of difficulty for most people, but if you're headed into to certain fields, you aren't going to skirt those disciplines. I knew after Algebra III/Trigonometry that I needed to go in another direction.

Same- and Geometry was very hard for me too.

I mean I had good teachers, but I think they went way too fast for me. I needed teachers that went slow (which would have angered 80% of my classmates).

I think I could have really done better had my teachers went much slower - show an example, let me do an example, show an example, let me do an example. But it doesn't work like that.

Reactions: king ward
Same- and Geometry was very hard for me too.

I mean I had good teachers, but I think they went way too fast for me. I needed teachers that went slow (which would have angered 80% of my classmates).

I think I could have really done better had my teachers went much slower - show an example, let me do an example, show an example, let me do an example. But it doesn't work like that.
You are correct...my professors asked it anyone had questions and of course no one did...we moved on...Once I got into the higher levels of Math, not as many A's or even B's but a whole lot of C's, D's and F's...back in those days, they posted final grades on the professors office door....

IMO someone who majors in Math up to the PHD level has my RESPECT over any other majors...yes including medicine....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT