ADVERTISEMENT

Caslen - Biggest regret of his life was coming to USC

Wasn't a fan of Trump as a person but this current adminstration is making him look like Roosevelt.

It's as if they are intentionally doing everything wrong: Ecomony, Border, Foreign affairs/Afgan debacle/China/Iran, COVID/Overriding FDA decisions, Censorship/Misinformation, Identity Politics, etc.

Someone has to be pulling the strings because all of this is directed at division and is terrible policy. If he continues at this pace, he will definitely secure himself as one of the worst Presidents in history.

Last edited:
Reactions: vacock#
I was in favor of fairness toward him when his name was advanced. I will always be in favor of fairness. That said, his acquisition was a stupendous blunder of breathtaking proportions, and the machinations used to bring it about were as ham-handed as anything I have ever seen. It was a complete debacle. I will say no more.

My biggest problem is that those of us who knew Caslen warned the University and the BOT how poor a candidate he was. I’ve never met someone who has burned more bridges than Caslen. Yet he was hired over strong objections of those who knew him.

My biggest problem is that those of us who knew Caslen warned the University and the BOT how poor a candidate he was. I’ve never met someone who has burned more bridges than Caslen. Yet he was hired over strong objections of those who knew him.
My West Point friends loved him.

Reactions: GMClemson33
You say that like it’s a bad thing! Ha
i don
Wasn't a fan of Trump as a person but this current adminstration is making him look like Roosevelt.

It's as if they are intentionally doing everything wrong: Ecomony, Border, Foreign affairs/Afgan debacle/China/Iran, COVID/Overriding FDA decisions, Censorship/Misinformation, Identity Politics, etc.

Someone has to be pulling the strings because all of this is directed at division and is terrible policy. If he continues at this pace, he will definitely secure himself as one of the worst Presidents in history.
What does Biden have to do with Caslen? Biden was not President when Caslen was at USC.

i don

What does Biden have to do with Caslen? Biden was not President when Caslen was at USC.

Cognitive dissonance? On the previous page of this thread you "like" the quote below:

"I am a Biden supporter in that I want him to do a good job, same with Caslen. But alas."

Cognitive dissonance? On the previous page of this thread you "like" the quote below:

"I am a Biden supporter in that I want him to do a good job, same with Caslen. But alas."
I did want Caslen to do a good job and no I did not initially want him hired. Yet, Biden has nothing to do with the USC Presidency. I don’t think Caslen’s problems had anything to do with cognitive issues. He was not a good fit from day one. If someone wants to link him to a politician…it should be our GOVERNOR!

Last edited:
Declaring the entire state insane is not a "different voice", it's your typical liberal disdain and hate that isn't anything new or "progressive". It's not a "viewpoint", it's hateful, smug liberal bullshit.

And NOBODY is less likely to listen to a different voice than a liberal. We see how libs handle "different voices" in government. In corporate America. In the military. On social media. In academia. So spare me the "different voice" line of crap. We've seen how places turn out when people listen to those voices. If you prefer that, have at it, but don't declare the state insane because we don't.

But we know, Bush's fault. lol. That one never gets old. Guess who else voted to go into both Iraq and Afghanistan? And allowed it to fester for 8 years as VP? And completely botched the withdrawal in every possible way conceivable?
There's a general lack of "listening to the other" in contemporary society, whether one is liberal. conservative, or somewhere in between.

We have to re-learn how to respect the other and re-learn how to disagree in an agreeable manner.

There's a general lack of "listening to the other" in contemporary society, whether one is liberal. conservative, or somewhere in between.

We have to re-learn how to respect the other and re-learn how to disagree in an agreeable manner.
I'd love to see it, but media profits from extreme polarization. Media never had it so good. They've figured out the formula and won't be letting up.

I'd love to see it, but media profits from extreme polarization. Media never had it so good. They've figured out the formula and won't be letting up.
A lot due to Rupert Murdoch, who is no idiot. After he was doing a lot of the same in Australia and the UK and was all but kicked out for his antics, he found a place who would protect his brand of journalism....and has been laughing all the way to the bank ever since. Then social media came along and respect and collegiality dropped off the face of a cliff.

There are many interesting replies here. I’m at West Point grad, grew up in South Carolina and I’m a diehard Gamecock fan. Got into West Point and graduated after attending South Carolina on a one year prep scholarship. As a lieutenant, my roommate served under LTG Caslon and always said he was a superb leader. My 21 years of leadership experience in both the military and business tell me that the truth is always in the middle. I hoped Caslen would be a good fit but clearly he was not.

The military does not integrate much with academia, politicians, or the business community. Academics mostly snub their nose at military service members as war mongers or unable to achieve scholastically. The military industrial complex is real and the command structure is insular; not that different than academics and professors with tenure who have never worked in business, law, the medical field, or other for-profit organizations.

We’d all be better served to love one other and try to learn more about those around us and not criticize or judge each other.

We’d all be better served to love one other and try to learn more about those around us and not criticize or judge each other.

Is this directed to the USC folks, or Caslen? That's a serious question...Caslen's recent comments don't exactly align with your sentiment but I don't suppose you are talking about him?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Is this directed to the USC folks, or Caslen? That's a serious question...Caslen's recent comments don't exactly align with your sentiment but I don't suppose you are talking about him?
I read it as he was directing it at all parties. He's not wrong. I struggled leaving JAG and going to work for a large firm as did some of my friends who went to work for the government, whether it was the DOJ or the FBI. It's a totally different world and mindset.....very rigid.

Reactions: atl-cock

What happens when one side is provably wrong on a particular topic? Sometimes there are topics with binary choices that don’t do well with compromises. Possible was to handle it is to put distance between the two groups of people.

Force fed to USC by the same crowd who now actively reject masks and immunizations. Should tell you something about judgment, politics, and temper tantrums.
That is a very bold and immensely stupid summation to the folks who rejfuse to take the shot or don’t believe in the mask. I’ve personally had the shots and wear the mask when I deem necessary but not all people believe as I do. Do I call them names or say things about their maturity or how smart they are? Hell no !!!!! I respect them as I do you and understand everyone must live their own lives. People like you are the problem the ones who think you know it all or people must believe and do as you do. That’s belief is immature ignorance at its best. You have a good day friend

Reactions: rogue cock
A lot due to Rupert Murdoch, who is no idiot. After he was doing a lot of the same in Australia and the UK and was all but kicked out for his antics, he found a place who would protect his brand of journalism....and has been laughing all the way to the bank ever since. Then social media came along and respect and collegiality dropped off the face of a cliff.

Wrong. Murdoch didn't cause any of this. The media did this to themselves, there and here. They decided to be a mouthpiece for the Dems instead of real journalists. The media stream media is infested with libs that give one point of view and skew coverage to benefit the dems. All about controlling the narrative. We know this for fact because it was completely exposed in the DNC leaked emails in 2016. They literal email and ask the DNC how to "frame" a news story.

Wrong. Murdoch didn't cause any of this. The media did this to themselves, there and here. They decided to be a mouthpiece for the Dems instead of real journalists. The media stream media is infested with libs that give one point of view and skew coverage to benefit the dems. All about controlling the narrative. We know this for fact because it was completely exposed in the DNC leaked emails in 2016. They literal email and ask the DNC how to "frame" a news story.
Read his history. In Australia, he aligned with the liberal Labor Party. He will play whichever side he can get the most out of at the moment. In the UK, he went a bit too far....and eventhough he personally denied any knowledge of what was going on, several upper level members of his organization were going to testify against him. He got out while he could.

Read his history. In Australia, he aligned with the liberal Labor Party. He will play whichever side he can get the most out of at the moment. In the UK, he went a bit too far....and eventhough he personally denied any knowledge of what was going on, several upper level members of his organization were going to testify against him. He got out while he could.

None of that is the fault of Murdoch. Foxnews came to prominence because our media decided to pick a side and become a wing of one political party. Again, that is fact. Now, if you want to say that things would be less contentious if Foxnews didn't exist and the Dem own mainstream media could gaslight everyone without an alternative voice, then I won't argue that. But thankfully, that isn't the case.

None of that is the fault of Murdoch. Foxnews came to prominence because our media decided to pick a side and become a wing of one political party. Again, that is fact. Now, if you want to say that things would be less contentious if Foxnews didn't exist and the Dem own mainstream media could gaslight everyone without an alternative voice, then I won't argue that. But thankfully, that isn't the case.
Whatever....my opinion is that all sides of the political spectrum have fault in the discontent, but I am so tired of belaboring the point with the die-hard believers of those sides.

That is a very bold and immensely stupid summation to the folks who rejfuse to take the shot or don’t believe in the mask. I’ve personally had the shots and wear the mask when I deem necessary but not all people believe as I do. Do I call them names or say things about their maturity or how smart they are? Hell no !!!!! I respect them as I do you and understand everyone must live their own lives. People like you are the problem the ones who think you know it all or people must believe and do as you do. That’s belief is immature ignorance at its best. You have a good day friend

And based on hard data, it's becoming more apparent that the mask wearers (particularly those that do it outdoors and/or when by themselves) are not the sharpest tools in the drawer.

Whatever....my opinion is that all sides of the political spectrum have fault in the discontent, but I am so tired of belaboring the point with the die-hard believers of those sides.

Discourse and politics have gone hand in hand since forever.

But you put the blame "A lot due to Rupert Murdoch" and that is ridiculous. And the only thing worse than being a "die-hard believer" of one of those sides is being one and pretending like you aren't.

What are you talking about?

Fox News is literally known for turning "news" into "entertainment"

I nominate this for post of the year. Politicians (and people) used to listen to the other side and do what was best for the country. Now days, it's what color Jersey you wear.

Reactions: rogue cock
What are you talking about?

Fox News is literally known for turning "news" into "entertainment"

That's just a lib excuse because they don't fall in line with the rest of the lib nut job media. Foxnews gets it right more often, by FAR. Not even close.

I was talking about both. This was a bad fit. I am not particularly happy with Caslen’s remarks nor our student and administration’s acceptance of him from Day 1.

What happens when one side is provably wrong on a particular topic? Sometimes there are topics with binary choices that don’t do well with compromises. Possible was to handle it is to put distance between the two groups of people.
That's where respect for the other comes into play, regardless of who's right and who's wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT