ADVERTISEMENT

Caslen - Biggest regret of his life was coming to USC

SCGCock07

Apr 15, 2009
Conway, SC
This exemplifies why USC will never be consistently competitive in football. The BOT voted for this guy to lead our university and he absolutely despised us. Bravo to the Post & Courier for exposing this piece of shit. Sorry admins, but Robert Caslen is a sorry piece of shit.
“The biggest regret of my life is that I went to University of South Carolina,” Caslen told The Post and Courier on Sept. 30. “If I had to do it all over again, I would never have gone to the University of South Carolina.”
In those emails, Caslen, a retired three-star Army general and combat veteran who ran West Point, called USC the most hostile community he had ever encountered.
“This place sucks so bad,” Caslen wrote to then-S.C. State University President James Clark on May 9 as social media criticism grew over his addresses delivered during the previous two days. “I don’t know how anyone can stand it. At some point you have to ask why do you put up with this stuff. It is insane. I don’t know how you can stand living here.”
After USC Student Affairs Vice President Dennis Pruitt sent an email praising the commencement exercises, Caslen replied: “I can’t help but comment on this community and its hostility. By far the most hostile and destructive community I’ve ever been a part of. Not sure how anyone can stand being here, and those of you who have been here a while — I have the utmost respect for your perseverance.”
Post & Courier Article

This guy has already shown the world that he is a classless jerk. He was a 3 star general and obviously used to everything being done for him or handed to him. He was surrounded by yes men in the army and West Point. He is an example of most of the generals, but not all that currently run our military. Yes, I blame the BOT for hiring him, and either they did not do their due diligence or they are just stupid. I imagine it is a combination of the two.

So after being found unqualified by the original search committee, he pulls political strings to get into another chance

Then

Student reject him
Faculty find unqualified
BOT chooses not hire him

He then once again colludes with McMaster and by political cronyism is forced upon the University.

He fails at his job through public and gross incompetence not to mention flagrant plagiarism.

Colludes with chairman of BOT to end run BOT to save his job.

Then plays the poor pitiful me victim card.... “they’re so mean! All I did was wreck the hiring process, with selfish strong arm political cronyism so I could get a job I was unqualified for. Fail at my job. Why are they so mean?”

Not sure how anyone can stand being here, and those of you who have been here a while — I have the utmost respect for your perseverance.”

I mean... That last part...

So after being found unqualified by the original search committee, he pulls political strings to get into another chance

Then

Student reject him
Faculty find unqualified
BOT chooses not hire him

He then once again colludes with McMaster and by political cronyism is forced upon the University.

He fails at his job through public and gross incompetence not to mention flagrant plagiarism.

Then plays the poor pitiful me victim card.... “they’re so mean! All I did was wreck the hiring process, with selfish strong arm political cronyism so I could get a job I was unqualified for. Fail at my job. Why are they so mean?”
Force fed to USC by the same crowd who now actively reject masks and immunizations. Should tell you something about judgment, politics, and temper tantrums.

Our BOT is and has been clueless on multiple levels for some time. And Caslen bad-mouthing a former employer publicly is immature and unprofessional.

It would not have taken much for Caslen to get people behind him - he couldn't (or wouldn't) get out of his own way with the plagiarism incident, alienating Darla Moore, and confusing South Carolina with California - and those are just the public incidents.

We've got an incredible alumni base and some excellent academic programs. Our BOT needs reforming. Make it USC undergrad alumni only, don't put the Governor or Superintendent of Education on the Board, and stop having members based on the state Judicial Circuits. Also, there are 9 lawyers and 3 bankers on the Board and a bunch of old white guys as well. I'm an old white guy myself, but we need more entrepreneurs, tech people, and folks who are dialed in to modern trends to guide the school and choose its leadership (particularly future Presidents and ADs). Unfortunately, the rules and traditions currently in place mean we will only change at a glacial pace.

This exemplifies why USC will never be consistently competitive in football. The BOT voted for this guy to lead our university and he absolutely despised us. Bravo to the Post & Courier for exposing this piece of shit. Sorry admins, but Robert Caslen is a sorry piece of shit.

Post & Courier Article
He wasn’t qualified to lead any school.

Our BOT is and has been clueless on multiple levels for some time. And Caslen bad-mouthing a former employer publicly is immature and unprofessional.

It would not have taken much for Caslen to get people behind him - he couldn't (or wouldn't) get out of his own way with the plagiarism incident, alienating Darla Moore, and confusing South Carolina with California - and those are just the public incidents.

We've got an incredible alumni base and some excellent academic programs. Our BOT needs reforming. Make it USC undergrad alumni only, don't put the Governor or Superintendent of Education on the Board, and stop having members based on the state Judicial Circuits. Also, there are 9 lawyers and 3 bankers on the Board and a bunch of old white guys as well. I'm an old white guy myself, but we need more entrepreneurs, tech people, and folks who are dialed in to modern trends to guide the school and choose its leadership (particularly future Presidents and ADs). Unfortunately, the rules and traditions currently in place mean we will only change at a glacial pace.

Very well-balanced perspective.

Force fed to USC by the same crowd who now actively reject masks and immunizations. Should tell you something about judgment, politics, and temper tantrums.
Being wrong about one thing makes you wrong about all things. Right?

Our BOT members need to take classes on how to hire the right people. Ray Tanner as athletic director is a fine example. Other SEC football programs have left ours in the dust since he has been in position, yet the university still retains him. Heck, not JUST sec programs! Clemson, Coastal to name a few local ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: photon73
As a former military officer I have to say that I am very concerned about the quality, integrity and leadership of our current crop of Flag Grade Officers. This guy is another example of the decline in our military leadership. Not sure why he was ever hired for this position?

I’ve known Bob for quite a while and never felt he was qualified to lead our school. In fact, I worked hard against his appointment here. A real leader would try to change the culture, not whine about it. This says more about him than us.

In all fairness he's probably not 100% wrong.
It’s a little bit of both. It has definitely become hostile, especially on Social Media. But people should see through him as no matter where this happened the place was going to be hostile. You don’t congratulate the graduates from the university of California and treat your biggest donor in school history the way he and others did and not get hostility.

What’s worse is there are people, that despite all of these things, still threw their unwavering support his way. He alienated those folks in this article. It’s clear he made a big mistake coming here, but nowhere near the mistake USC made in brining a man of his character here. His boys told us everything we needed to know when he got shot down the first time. He’s doing exactly what they did. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Last edited:
I’ve known Bob for quite a while and never felt he was qualified to lead our school. In fact, I worked hard against his appointment here. A real leader would try to change the culture, not whine about it. This says more about him than us.
Bob should be out playing golf, but he seems to need a job. What’s up with that?

As a former military officer I have to say that I am very concerned about the quality, integrity and leadership of our current crop of Flag Grade Officers. This guy is another example of the decline in our military leadership. Not sure why he was ever hired for this position?
Retired officer here — I feel the same as you my friend

Post & Courier Article

In hindsight, it wasn't a good fit. He'll go on to bigger and better things.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Post & Courier Article
McMaster railroaded him. No one wanted him.

It can’t be this hard to hire a university president. Find someone who can fund raise first, give a speech or two each year, and maybe make a few “big-picture” decisions.

He got rid of Muschamp so he’s okay in my book. That’s not saying Beamer is a home run hire the book is still out on that.

Amen x 1,000. We are THE business school in this state, yet our BOT is full of lawyers and judges. Yet the cow college up the road has a BOT made up of successful entrepreneurs and business leaders who all bleed orange. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Didn't they keep him on as a consultant after his firing? If so, that arrangement needs to end immediately.

Then

Student reject him
Faculty find unqualified
BOT chooses not hire him

Thank you for not leaving out our McDisaster’s part in it. Many on here will conveniently look the other way because their political loyalties won’t allow them to admit otherwise.

Yeah I get he was forced into the position, but many in the world of academia did not want this guy. How you simply bypass a major requirement is just inexcusable, and should’ve had repercussions for the entire BOT. A Major University Presidential requirement is a PhD. Period. USC has many positions which require a Masters. Also period. You will not get hired if you don’t meet that requirement, but then again, not much political about any of those positions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT