ADVERTISEMENT

No matter how you think of the NFL today, it will never be the same from years to come when watching

Should not be a forced thing. It should be something that unifies all of us that live here, a thing called patriotism.
That's correct. It shouldn't be forced. So you agree that people that want to kneel should be able to kneel and not face any repercussions. Glad we agree.

WOW !!! Best post I've ever seen on this issue !! You nailed everything . So according to some people those guys who are in the beer line or in the Bathroom, or playing on their phones during the anthem should all be held to the same standard correct ?? Great post .
in the restroom? SMDH

That's correct. It shouldn't be forced. So you agree that people that want to kneel should be able to kneel and not face any repercussions. Glad we agree.
No the thought was if they enjoy living in this country of freedom and self improvement, they should do nothing less than stand instead of showing how bad you think the country is by kneeling.

Michael Bennett says "I think the first step to even being able to even have a conversation is making sure that Colin Kaepernick gets an opportunity to play in the NFL.”

I want to play in the NFL…. I’m like Colin Kaepernick, can’t play a lick but I can whine on how the team should play and how the Offensive Coordinator should do his job…

I’m sorry, but standing up for the American Flag and National Anthem has nothing to do with the First Amendment.. It has everything to do with the decency, love and respect we hold inside of ourselves and how we were taught by our parents to respect everyone and ourselves as human beings; like holding the door for a lady, saying yes ma'am and no ma'am, getting permission from a girl’s father to marry his daughter and no matter how you’re treated by a girl, you are taught to never, I repeat never hit a girl… That’s why we stand up for our Flag and the National Anthem… It’s the right thing to do to honor the men and women of this country and how our parents brought us up…
F' em I dont do that any longer. Fantasy nope. TV nope. Can't support the Thugs any longer.

First, thank you for your service. Second, I voted for Bush and a few Dems in my life also, but I have been too busy building a business over the years to be a political groupie. As far as your statement about the flag on the dome I lived through those times also, it did go up to commemorate the Centennial of the Civil War. It can be argued that it stayed up for the reason you stated. For anyone to claim that Democrat Gov. Ernest Hollings put the flag up to make a point to blacks is laughable. So you are the one that needs to get your head out of your ass.

nope. You are wrong

829752.gif

Reactions: DC-99
The bottom line is that if any event has things like the National Anthem or prayers as a part of the event it is going to be ripe for dissenters. The only choices for solving this issue in a free nation is to either 1). Eliminate them. 2). Continue them and let the divisiveness continue.

Personally I prefer choice 1 but understand someone picking choice 2 as long as the kneeling or other demonstrations don't bother them. But a 3rd choice of forcing people to act a certain way for these events is not acceptable.

I much prefer choice 1 because it only takes one goofball to get mad at one silent demonstrator and start a fight.

Well # 1 is NOT going to happen.

The NFL will be just fine. Sorry to hurt some feelings in here but the league is stronger than ever. This crap with our POTUS calling NFL players s.o.b.'s has actually spiked interest. Go ahead and watch re runs of I love Lucy but this guy right here will be watching some football. Can i get an Amen?

If he is better than the starters for at least 6 teams then why isn't he getting a job? Sorry, you are incorrect on this. As i said, if he was good enough teams wouldn't care what Trump said if they thought he could help them win. Bottom line business, period! Oh, and don't worry, Trump will still be in charge a couple of years from now.

Well one problem CK had before he was relegated to 2nd string status per some on the team reported he wouldn't work hard and study the playbook, hence not being effective on game day. I don't care how much potential talent one has that type of work ethic is not going to get you a job.

Reactions: caigmaster
The NFL will be just fine. Sorry to hurt some feelings in here but the league is stronger than ever. This crap with our POTUS calling NFL players s.o.b.'s has actually spiked interest. Go ahead and watch re runs of I love Lucy but this guy right here will be watching some football. Can i get an Amen?

Hell No!

Reactions: king ward
I'm not ambivalent. But I recognize the right of a person to participate or not to participate when acting as a private citizen. I also recognize that not everything a person does is strictly in his role as a private citizen.
When you are at work are you a private citizen or a public citizen?

I always determined public to mean that you are employed by the government in some capacity. A congressman at work in the Capital, e.g., would be a public citizen. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Reactions: Jpcooper
When you are at work are you a private citizen or a public citizen?

I always determined public to mean that you are employed by the government in some capacity. A congressman at work in the Capital, e.g., would be a public citizen. Perhaps I am mistaken.
You are a private citizen, but your conduct is regulated by policies set by your employer and your personal freedom is likely to be restricted thereby..

We get it. You value the NFL more than you do your flag or your country.

Michael Bennett says "I think the first step to even being able to even have a conversation is making sure that Colin Kaepernick gets an opportunity to play in the NFL.”

I want to play in the NFL…. I’m like Colin Kaepernick, can’t play a lick but I can whine on how the team should play and how the Offensive Coordinator should do his job…

I’m sorry, but standing up for the American Flag and National Anthem has nothing to do with the First Amendment.. It has everything to do with the decency, love and respect we hold inside of ourselves and how we were taught by our parents to respect everyone and ourselves as human beings; like holding the door for a lady, saying yes ma'am and no ma'am, getting permission from a girl’s father to marry his daughter and no matter how you’re treated by a girl, you are taught to never, I repeat never hit a girl… That’s why we stand up for our Flag and the National Anthem… It’s the right thing to do to honor the men and women of this country and how our parents brought us up…

I quit watching a few years back The parity is killing the league. Who wants to watch for a few hours and have the game decided by a field goal. Parity will kill it just like PC is killing our society.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
NFL and CK aside, traditional values and respect in this country are falling aside every year. We are all told that we have to "accept" everyone's beliefs no matter what they are. IMHO...It's a shame that some of the things that you described above are now considered offensive to some and are now being frowned upon. I travel a good bit in my profession and am often "corrected" when I say "Yes sir" or "No ma'am". It's even offensive to some women for a man to hold the door open for them because it's a "sexist" move. Unfortunately, politeness and doing what is "right" is no longer "accepted". Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter and our American independence day are all offensive to some and it's just a matter of time before they are all protested too.

I went on a blind lunch date at the request of an older gent I respected who thought one of his employees and I would be a good match. Turned out to be a nightmare. The lunch conversation was a bit strained, so I must have said something's offensive early on, and when I walked her to her car to open her door, she said, "I can open my own door, thank you!" With that I bid her a not-so-fond farewell. Funny, she didn't have any problem allowing me to pay the check though! It's no wonder women like this wind up single most of their lives with so many mixed msgs they send. Even if they are great looking, men don't know how to treat them.

I will leave you with scripture to ponder...

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 “Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.”

Again, enjoy your Saturday!
It's ironic that many would have used this scripture to describe Obama a year ago. Maybe it's inherent in the job until that notion of "total equality and acceptance" is achieved.

I seriously can't read more than about 5 posts on this topic without getting totally exhausted. I'll tell you what I think is sad; 2 years ago, I couldn't have guessed the race of one poster on GC, and it wouldn't have mattered if I could have. Today, and this isn't 100% true, I believe I know more about people's race than I care to. What I cared about was that we all have one common interest, and that was all things Gamecocks.

I went on a blind lunch date at the request of an older gent I respected who thought one of his employees and I would be a good match. Turned out to be a nightmare. The lunch conversation was a bit strained, so I must have said something's offensive early on, and when I walked her to her car to open her door, she said, "I can open my own door, thank you!" With that I bid her a not-so-fond farewell. Funny, she didn't have any problem allowing me to pay the check though! It's no wonder women like this wind up single most of their lives with so many mixed msgs they send. Even if they are great looking, men don't know how to treat them.
That was my sister. She said you were NOT a great looking man.

No the thought was if they enjoy living in this country of freedom and self improvement, they should do nothing less than stand instead of showing how bad you think the country is by kneeling.
It's funny how people like you like to talk about how great freedom is but in the same breath you want to cry about people who do something you don't like and how you'd like to restrict their freedom to do said thing.

It's fine to say you disagree w the way they are protesting. But it's not fine to say or imply that people should be forced to stand for the National Anthem.

You are a private citizen, but your conduct is regulated by policies set by your employer and your personal freedom is likely to be restricted thereby..
And your personal conduct MUST be regulated/contained at work for obvious reasons. But forcing your employees to act a certain way about politics or religion is an incredibly bad idea.

It's funny how people like you like to talk about how great freedom is but in the same breath you want to cry about people who do something you don't like and how you'd like to restrict their freedom to do said thing.

It's fine to say you disagree w the way they are protesting. But it's not fine to say or imply that people should be forced to stand for the National Anthem.
I don't know about forced. I'm saying they ought to have enough patriotism in their blood stream to want to stand to be glad they are in the freest nation on Earth.

Last edited:

I quit watching years ago, long before any of this. Too many crybaby millionaires.

I don't know about forced. I'm saying they ought to have enough patriotism in their blood stream to want to stand to be glad they are in the freest nation on Earth.
So do you think they should be forced or not? Your opinion?

So do you think they should be forced or not? Your opinion?
No one is forcing them to do anything. They won't be locked up for not standing.

The bottom line is that employers have a right to be represented the way they want to be represented. They want what's best for their business and the employees in any business are going to be expected to do what ultimately leads to profit.

Reactions: Jpcooper
No one is forcing them to do anything. They won't be locked up for not standing.

The bottom line is that employers have a right to be represented the way they want to be represented. They want what's best for their business and the employees in any business are going to be expected to do what ultimately leads to profit.
There are many things you could force your employees to do that might lead to more profit. That doesn't make it right.

So if you are the owner of a company, do you force employees to stand for the National Anthem or risk discipline? Force "patriotism"?

Take it out of the employee handbook if you're not going to enforce the standing rule! Problem solved

Fake news.

NFL games averaged 15.1 million viewers through Week 7, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News. That's down 5.1 percent from 15.87 million viewers during the same period last season and off 18.7 percent from 18.35 million viewers during the same period in 2015.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...ll-kaepernick-trump/kyfaiyz0x9rm19cxtn994edwr

Reactions: cockofdawn
There are many things you could force your employees to do that might lead to more profit. That doesn't make it right.

So if you are the owner of a company, do you force employees to stand for the National Anthem or risk discipline? Force "patriotism"?
I personally wouldn't care if they were patriotic or not, but I'd expect them to do whatever it is I think my customers expect from them. If my business catered to people that hated America, I'd expect them not to stand. If my business catered to people who love America, I'd expect them to stand. Business is about making money. These football players are out there to make money for the people who own the teams...nothing more.

I personally wouldn't care if they were patriotic or not, but I'd expect them to do whatever it is I think my customers expect from them. If my business catered to people that hated America, I'd expect them not to stand. If my business catered to people who love America, I'd expect them to stand. Business is about making money. These football players are out there to make money for the people who own the teams...nothing more.
good point, how many are they gonna lose by standing for the NATIONAL Anthem of the Greatest nation on earth, verses disrespecting it??

This is not about hating America. But your answer is that you would force your employees to act in a certain political way because you think you'll make more money. And don't try and act like this isn't political and is just like any other business decision because it's not.

People are pathetic that would sell their soul and force political beliefs to make more money.

good point, how many are they gonna lose by standing for the NATIONAL Anthem of the Greatest nation on earth, verses disrespecting it??
If the National Anthem wasn't a part of the game to start w no one would even notice. The NFL could do like college, play it before the players come out on the field and after a few weeks or years this subject would disappear.

This is not about hating America. But your answer is that you would force your employees to act in a certain political way because you think you'll make more money. And don't try and act like this isn't political and is just like any other business decision because it's not.

People are pathetic that would sell their soul and force political beliefs to make more money.
I wouldn't force my political beliefs on an employee. I just expect them to make the customers happy.

If I own a chevrolet dealership, I expect the sales people to love chevrolets while they're on my lot selling them. If they want to love fords or toyotas when they go home, I'm fine with that.

I wouldn't force my political beliefs on an employee. I just expect them to make the customers happy.

If I own a chevrolet dealership, I expect the sales people to love chevrolets while they're on my lot selling them. If they want to love fords or toyotas when they go home, I'm fine with that.
You still aren't getting it. Loving Chevys and forcing employees to act in a certain political manner is not analogous.

You still aren't getting it. Loving Chevys and forcing employees to act in a certain political manner is not analogous.
Both are about pleasing the customer while at my place of employment, and both help me make money. If I don't make money, I can't keep employees. If you think the NFL owners really give a rats ass about who stands or kneels, then you're very naive. They care only about the effect it has on their profits.

Anyone who cares about the political beliefs of another person, or whether they stand or kneel, is wasting their time.

If you were a business owner and an employee wanted to express their beliefs by wearing a shirt with a confederate flag on it, would you be okay with that?

Last edited:
Both are about pleasing the customer while at my place of employment, and both help me make money. If I don't make money, I can't keep employees. If you think the NFL owners really give a rats ass about who stands or kneels, then you're very naive. They care only about the effect it has on their profits.

Anyone who cares about the political beliefs of another person, or whether they stand or kneel, is wasting their time.

If you were a business owner and an employee wanted to express their beliefs by wearing a shirt with a confederate flag on it, would you be okay with that?
The owners don't care about their beliefs. That's correct. Their primary concern is making more money. Correct again. But forcing someone to act a certain way on a political matter to make money is a terrible thing in a free country.

If I'm an owner, no you can't be disruptive in my workplace in regards to a confederate t shirt or anything like that. But knowing that is a problem I also wouldn't force them to act a certain way re: the national anthem or anything else of that nature. That's the deal, "you don't cause a political stink here at work and I won't force you to act in a certain political way either".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT