ADVERTISEMENT

Offense looks horrible

Much work to do on the Oline I agree…
I’ve got to figure there is little chance we are THAT BAD again next week though.
Going to be a tough challenge regardless

Reactions: cockofdawn
Every play broke down within 2 seconds because we don’t have an offensive line. doesn‘t matter who is calling the plays. Rattler did a great job making plays while running for his life. How many years do we have to go without someone addressing our OL?

Backyard football, no real game planning, Satterfield should have been gone last year.
I am so tired of seeing every promising QB having to run for his life on every passing play. I am so tired of seeing defenders pour through our O-line and shut down running plays at the line while our O-line just stands there and watch it happen. These guys don’t seem to have the desire to protect their QB and running backs.

Is it just me or is there just not as many good offensive lineman anymore? Seems like there are only about 50 good ones every year nationwide. And they all go to the big boys. I read an article a few years ago saying the same thing and I believe that young people that are gifted in size are not interested these days in putting in the effort to learn and play football. Sign of times?

I am so tired of seeing every promising QB having to run for his life on every passing play. I am so tired of seeing defenders pour through our O-line and shut down running plays at the line while our O-line just stands there and watch it happen. These guys don’t seem to have the desire to protect their QB and running backs.
I agree. Terrible Oline play. Terrible. We are lucky we won by the margin we did. If the Oline and the offense stagnates we are in for some big losses.

Backyard football, no real game planning, Satterfield should have been gone last year.
Not accurate. Offensive line is pitiful. They better pick it up soon or we are a 4 win team. Rattler actually looked good and made a lot of plays in spite of the offensive line. They looked like a sieve. Frankly they suck.

Reactions: Jbouton2
A good line coach can motivate these kids to do what's necessary to achieve the goal. However, with the portal wide open, any kid with real potential can just jump ship if they get benched or if the coach is too hard on them. Haven't seen but a handful of lineman who can play regularly their freshman year on a good team. Hard to know what approach to take.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I don't disagree regarding the assessment on the OL coach. BUT, this is Satterfield's 6th season as an OC. He has never produced even a Top 50 offense. And he did not have our OL coach during his first 4 seasons as an OC. Our offense was pathetic last night, barely making over 300 yards total offense. But, maybe, just maybe, the problem goes deeper than our OL coach.

Every play broke down within 2 seconds because we don’t have an offensive line. doesn‘t matter who is calling the plays. Rattler did a great job making plays while running for his life. How many years do we have to go without someone addressing our OL?
IMO, hasn't been addressed since Jim Carlen/Joe Morrison days.

Well the defense looks very capable, and special teams will be above average for sure. The offense has a chance but the Oline must improve. Now after listening to Beamer after the game, it appears Spencer definitely made the wrong decision on several RPO plays which made the line look bad. I'm sure it's a mixture of both. I was impressed with Spencer, I just hope he doesn't attempt to make those bonehead throws each game.

Is it just me or is there just not as many good offensive lineman anymore? Seems like there are only about 50 good ones every year nationwide. And they all go to the big boys. I read an article a few years ago saying the same thing and I believe that young people that are gifted in size are not interested these days in putting in the effort to learn and play football. Sign of times?
That’s because the Madden games don’t feature them. Every kid wants to be patrick Mahomes. I agree with you totally

Next week could be ugly. It is unbelievable that an Oline with this much experience and time playing together could be this bad. They had better improve a bunch before next Saturday to have any chance.

Next week could be ugly. It is unbelievable that an Oline with this much experience and time playing together could be this bad. They had better improve a bunch before next Saturday to have any chance.
The offense is ranked 109 out of 128 teams, ahead of only 2 Power 5 teams, Notre Dame and Iowa. I hope Beamer does not end up regretting not making changes at OC and OL. But, it is only one game.

Same guys from last year, not good then and still not good. Would think some of them would have taken it personally to get better. Arkansas will tell a lot.

Well the defense looks very capable, and special teams will be above average for sure. The offense has a chance but the Oline must improve. Now after listening to Beamer after the game, it appears Spencer definitely made the wrong decision on several RPO plays which made the line look bad. I'm sure it's a mixture of both. I was impressed with Spencer, I just hope he doesn't attempt to make those bonehead throws each game.
GA state rushed for 200 yards, defense looked okay but nothing great. The test will be in two weeks because UGA has a real offense and we will see then if they have improved.

You know could it be that the previous staff just simply did not recruit good o lineman. that is what i think...you can only coach up poor talent so much!

The OL looks too soft.
I would assume that Beamer is going to roll out the red carpet for OL players.

I believe there are good O linemen out there but their job has become more difficult as the years have passed. Defenses are faster, shift a lot, stunt, do things that take away the good blocking angles. Maybe you are correct - not as many excellent linemen as in the past. I do know that the last year I coached we had 5-6 big boys that were smart and raw and could have developed but they’d had rather hunt and fish than go through the rigors of a 12 month program like coaches want them to do now. Can’t blame them. I like to hunt and fish, too.

I actually thought the Oline improved some as the season went along last year. To see us take a step back is a tough pill to swallow. I'd say moreso than last year because I kinda feel the rug was yanked from under us. Life as a Gamecock fan I guess. That said, I do feel like we will get better. Question is how much and will it be enough

I believe there are good O linemen out there but their job has become more difficult as the years have passed. Defenses are faster, shift a lot, stunt, do things that take away the good blocking angles. Maybe you are correct - not as many excellent linemen as in the past. I do know that the last year I coached we had 5-6 big boys that were smart and raw and could have developed but they’d had rather hunt and fish than go through the rigors of a 12 month program like coaches want them to do now. Can’t blame them. I like to hunt and fish, too.
Over the years offenses and defenses have changed and evolved. In the old days most teams ran a power run formation and most defenses ran a 5 or 6 man line. Back then the OTs blocked the DTs and had to be the biggest strongest linemen, but not necessarily the most athletic. The smaller, quicker OLmen played inside as they had to get out quick on LBs or pull to block on outside running plays. Then offenses started changing and going more and more to options and the passing game. As a result defenses adapted and changed. Now we see most teams run a 3 or 4 man DL with very quick and athletic DEs that wreak havoc on offenses. The one thing though that hasn't changed is the Oline. We still see the biggest and less athletic guys playing OT. The thing is they are no longer blocking DTs. They have to block these very quick and athletic DEs and just are not quick enough to do it. What I don't understand is why teams don't move the bigger guys inside and move quicker guys to the outside. That would give you more power in the interior for running inside and give you quicker guys on the outside to block these DEs and to get out quicker to block on for the outside running plays. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Seems like a lifetime. They last guy I remember that seemed legitimate left for another college. Can't remember his name but he was here before Elliot for a short time.

if you’re into some of the nerdy coaching stuff you’ll love this. If not, carry on:

I posted my thoughts on our first drive the other day. I have since re-watched most of the first half of our offense and here are my initial takeaways.
1. We aren't that far away from being pretty good offensively
2. I still don't know if we have a true bread and butter play offensively. It just looks like watching an NFL offense. It's a series of formations and plays that really don't compliment one another at all. It reminds me of a guy who I coached with years ago. He wanted to use every single personnel package and formation available to us in every single game. I hated it, the kids hated it. They couldn't figure out how to line up. I feel like we are trying to "trick" the other team by putting a TE position player out in the wide receiver spot and figure out if they can line up correctly. I'll show examples later.
3. The line didn't block too bad. They weren't great, but a lot of pressures came when we tried to max protect and the backs/TE's whiffed on blocks.
4. Lloyd, as talented as he is, bounces the ball way too quickly. There were a couple of runs where if he sticks it inside, he ends up better off, he was able to out run GA state defenders to the edge a couple times, but that won't be the case against SEC LB's.

The second drive of the game was short. 4 plays.
Play 1, lined up in doubles and ran a jet sweet to A. Brown. Juice Wells misses his block on the perimeter, which forces Brown to turn it up sooner, and he gets tackled by the scraping LB. If Wells makes his block, it's a big play, as we had outside leverage.
Play 2, kind of a lead power play. Lined up in doubles, with dual wing TE's. So doubles bunch. Motioned Kenion from right to left, and he was the lead blocker. He absolutely misses his block, and we get tackled for a short gain. His block was crucial. Lloyd would be one on one versus the safety with that block, because the OL worked really nice double teams and got off on backers.
Play 3, Trips right, and Ga State blitzes their RCB, off our Left. WE faked the snap and even got him to show it early. Rattler never looked over there, just staired down Stoegner, and he pushed off on a stick route. Good timing, and good throw. Both tackles were beat to death on this play. Interior linemen, picked up a nice twist stunt.
Play 4, Doubles formation, short motion from the TE lined up wide, and he runs a crossing route. Everyone else runs a go, to vacate the area. Rattler hit him in stride, but it just wasn't enough to get the yardage back.
End of drive

Drive 3 another 9 play drive, ends with a touchdown
First play is a play action pass that was open- but both Tackles and the TE whiff in protection. Rattler threw it away.
Second play was the scramble and throw to Brooks. The RT and RG picked up a twist stunt by their End and OLB. Rattler didn't need to escape the pocket, but he did and made it work.
Third play was an RPO, we ended up handing it off, which was the correct read. Line zone blocked to the right. What kills the play is both the LG and Center who are doubling the nose leave him and come off to the mike backer. The LG should've been the one to leave, as the backer scraped to him. The TE and LT block it perfectly. The Right side seems to think it's a pass play, as they didn't fire off and attack.
Fourth play is just an inside zone play, we blocked it much better this time, but Lloyd bounces it, probably because of the previous plays result. He gets good yardage, but we had it blocked fairly well inside.
Play 5 is a counter to the right. Everything gets washed down well, but the left guard who pulled absolutely whiffs on his kickout block, and the defender makes the tackle.
Play 6-doubles formation, the corner to our right blitzes, we actually passed their DL stunt off to the next guy, and the line slid the way of the blitz, but the RT was absolutely too late coming off. I'm not sure if that was Rattler's hot read or not (not usually). Sacked
Play 7- we got empty, trips left. Line picks up a twist on the right side well, he missed the wide open corner route for a TD. He throws the slant, which was covered, but did get some yardage. However, in this concept, his read should be the corner, who sat on the slant. The corner route by the Tight End in the slot was behind the corner for an easy TD.
Play 8- three tight ends to our right, single back. Just a wedge block, and the back tries to bounce it. Not much there, should've stayed inside.
Play 9 is the TD off the fake to the FB and toss out in space. The scheme was great. They got man to man, motioned, and sent both receivers across the field to create space. All Lloyd had to do was win the foot race

Reactions: bucketdad
if you’re into some of the nerdy coaching stuff you’ll love this. If not, carry on:

I posted my thoughts on our first drive the other day. I have since re-watched most of the first half of our offense and here are my initial takeaways.
1. We aren't that far away from being pretty good offensively
2. I still don't know if we have a true bread and butter play offensively. It just looks like watching an NFL offense. It's a series of formations and plays that really don't compliment one another at all. It reminds me of a guy who I coached with years ago. He wanted to use every single personnel package and formation available to us in every single game. I hated it, the kids hated it. They couldn't figure out how to line up. I feel like we are trying to "trick" the other team by putting a TE position player out in the wide receiver spot and figure out if they can line up correctly. I'll show examples later.
3. The line didn't block too bad. They weren't great, but a lot of pressures came when we tried to max protect and the backs/TE's whiffed on blocks.
4. Lloyd, as talented as he is, bounces the ball way too quickly. There were a couple of runs where if he sticks it inside, he ends up better off, he was able to out run GA state defenders to the edge a couple times, but that won't be the case against SEC LB's.

The second drive of the game was short. 4 plays.
Play 1, lined up in doubles and ran a jet sweet to A. Brown. Juice Wells misses his block on the perimeter, which forces Brown to turn it up sooner, and he gets tackled by the scraping LB. If Wells makes his block, it's a big play, as we had outside leverage.
Play 2, kind of a lead power play. Lined up in doubles, with dual wing TE's. So doubles bunch. Motioned Kenion from right to left, and he was the lead blocker. He absolutely misses his block, and we get tackled for a short gain. His block was crucial. Lloyd would be one on one versus the safety with that block, because the OL worked really nice double teams and got off on backers.
Play 3, Trips right, and Ga State blitzes their RCB, off our Left. WE faked the snap and even got him to show it early. Rattler never looked over there, just staired down Stoegner, and he pushed off on a stick route. Good timing, and good throw. Both tackles were beat to death on this play. Interior linemen, picked up a nice twist stunt.
Play 4, Doubles formation, short motion from the TE lined up wide, and he runs a crossing route. Everyone else runs a go, to vacate the area. Rattler hit him in stride, but it just wasn't enough to get the yardage back.
End of drive

Drive 3 another 9 play drive, ends with a touchdown
First play is a play action pass that was open- but both Tackles and the TE whiff in protection. Rattler threw it away.
Second play was the scramble and throw to Brooks. The RT and RG picked up a twist stunt by their End and OLB. Rattler didn't need to escape the pocket, but he did and made it work.
Third play was an RPO, we ended up handing it off, which was the correct read. Line zone blocked to the right. What kills the play is both the LG and Center who are doubling the nose leave him and come off to the mike backer. The LG should've been the one to leave, as the backer scraped to him. The TE and LT block it perfectly. The Right side seems to think it's a pass play, as they didn't fire off and attack.
Fourth play is just an inside zone play, we blocked it much better this time, but Lloyd bounces it, probably because of the previous plays result. He gets good yardage, but we had it blocked fairly well inside.
Play 5 is a counter to the right. Everything gets washed down well, but the left guard who pulled absolutely whiffs on his kickout block, and the defender makes the tackle.
Play 6-doubles formation, the corner to our right blitzes, we actually passed their DL stunt off to the next guy, and the line slid the way of the blitz, but the RT was absolutely too late coming off. I'm not sure if that was Rattler's hot read or not (not usually). Sacked
Play 7- we got empty, trips left. Line picks up a twist on the right side well, he missed the wide open corner route for a TD. He throws the slant, which was covered, but did get some yardage. However, in this concept, his read should be the corner, who sat on the slant. The corner route by the Tight End in the slot was behind the corner for an easy TD.
Play 8- three tight ends to our right, single back. Just a wedge block, and the back tries to bounce it. Not much there, should've stayed inside.
Play 9 is the TD off the fake to the FB and toss out in space. The scheme was great. They got man to man, motioned, and sent both receivers across the field to create space. All Lloyd had to do was win the foot race
Good stuff. If you think about it, I'd like to hear your thoughts and an assessment on how we do after the first two drives in the next game or two. When I think back to the Muschcamp era, it appeared the first two drives were heavily scripted and often werent all that bad. In fact things didnt appear to go south until play calling went on the fly soon after. Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on play calling and how we adjust as the game goes along... which imo, could be one of the biggest improvements made over the last staff.

Good stuff. If you think about it, I'd like to hear your thoughts and an assessment on how we do after the first two drives in the next game or two. When I think back to the Muschcamp era, it appeared the first two drives were heavily scripted and often werent all that bad. In fact things didnt appear to go south until play calling went on the fly soon after. Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on play calling and how we adjust as the game goes along... which imo, could be one of the biggest improvements made over the last staff.
Give me a day and I’ll have a write up.

Did Coach White take the day off? They didn't beat us throwing the ball. What I saw was 3 running plays and 5 rushing TDs. It was so easy for them to run the ball . I though we might have a chance, But we couldn't stop the run and they did that almost the entire game.

Did Coach White take the day off? They didn't beat us throwing the ball. What I saw was 3 running plays and 5 rushing TDs. It was so easy for them to run the ball . I though we might have a chance, But we couldn't stop the run and they did that almost the entire game.
Yep on the flip side we averaged a pitiful 1.4 yds rushing. Maybe we know we cant effectively run but we have to have a better rush attack to compete and take pressure off of D.

App State, Kentucky, Cincinnati, etc...all seem to find them. You don't have to be the top rated 7-8 OL in country to be good. As I've stated for a long time on here...we have to start finding the 6'2 291 lb OL that just happen to be the best players on the field everywhere they go. They exist....but find their ways to places like App or MANY other places. We need more AJ Canns and less 3-4 star guys who fit the billl physically can't play dead in a cowboy movie.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT