ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive staff changes

I would not worry about Kimrey going anywhere if I were you . This is his 1st college job and he was on no ones list when Beamer hired him and still isn’t .
Guys Malzahn was hired from High School ranks as an Assistant Coach of Arkansas under HC Houston Nutt.

Chad Morris was hired from the High School not by the taters, someone else.

I am not saying Coach Kimrey is like one of these.
But I am saying some of us have a tendency to sometimes underestimate some of our coaches, Kimrey in mind.

Coach Kimrey has huge connections in our State from his and his Dad's HSHC Jobs.

I would trust Kimrey to Call our Plays better than Satterfield.

How is Stepp considered a great coach? I thought we were inept at WR myself and Arkansas didn't miss a beat. Honestly, I'm not sure who on this staff performed above average...maybe White...maybe.
He is a Great Coach. Josh Vann finally stepped up didn't he.

Coach Stepp isn't responsible for the Recruiting Failures of Muschamp and his staff.
Stepp isn't a Miracle Worker. He can't wave his Magic Wand and Zapp our Wrs with Talent and Athleticism.

He is a great Recruiter too. We need to hold onto him.

Guys Malzahn was hired from High School ranks as an Assistant Coach of Arkansas under HC Houston Nutt.

But I am saying some of us have a tendency to sometimes underestimate some of our coaches, Kimrey in mind.

Coach Kimrey has huge connections in our State from his and his Dad's HSHC Jobs.

I saw those Springdale teams in person and Kimrey’s teams too. It isn’t a fair comparison. Malzahn was at the highest level in Arkansas doing what he did, Kimrey beat up on tiny private schools who did not have Hammond’s dedication to athletics. Springdale also competed and beat some great teams nationally.

Malzahn also had Texas coaches coming to him to get information on his HUnH offense that at the time was unheard of. Now we see this HUNH all over CFb
Gus then came to Arkansas as Oc and in year 1 took a team with a losing record the previous 2 years and had them leading Florida in the 4th quarter of the SEC Championship game. Gus also popularized the “Wild Hog” that nearly every team has copied since.

If a younger Tom Knotts was out there in SC then I think that would be a better comparison. Kimrey just had a nice setup at Hammond and that school will continue to dominate due to their commitment others won’t match

I saw those Springdale teams in person and Kimrey’s teams too. It isn’t a fair comparison. Malzahn was at the highest level in Arkansas doing what he did, Kimrey beat up on tiny private schools who did not have Hammond’s dedication to athletics. Springdale also competed and beat some great teams nationally.

Malzahn also had Texas coaches coming to him to get information on his HUnH offense that at the time was unheard of. Now we see this HUNH all over CFb
Gus then came to Arkansas as Oc and in year 1 took a team with a losing record the previous 2 years and had them leading Florida in the 4th quarter of the SEC Championship game. Gus also popularized the “Wild Hog” that nearly every team has copied since.

If a younger Tom Knotts was out there in SC then I think that would be a better comparison. Kimrey just had a nice setup at Hammond and that school will continue to dominate due to their commitment others won’t match
this is all very correct. B. Bentley would've been a better comparison too....but yeah EVERY body has "borrowed" from Gus and a lot of college (and some pro) football looks today like it does because of him.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It comes down to whether you are willing to make the tough decisions as university too. How many schools would make a baseball coach AD, with minimal experience in athletic administration, just because he won 2 championships in baseball? Very shortsighted and the easy way out.
I doubt that RT's CWS championships had anything to do with his hiring as AD.

Unlike many posters, I do appreciate your acknowledging that he had athletic administration experience prior to his hiring. I don't know that I would call his experience minimal. Insufficient perhaps.

I've been calling for that since the Missouri game.

I doubt that RT's CWS championships had anything to do with his hiring as AD.

Unlike many posters, I do appreciate your acknowledging that he had athletic administration experience prior to his hiring. I don't know that I would call his experience minimal. Insufficient perhaps.
I can agree with the word "insufficient".

Reactions: Lakecock1
I've been calling for that since the Missouri game.
I could go with Kimrey. I'm just glad we have extra weeks to prepare for UNC like the extra week we had to prepare against Florida. We had our best offensive performance of the year against Florida. And the fact that UNC has a weak defense like Florida has, also helps.

I understand. I'm thinking more in line for the bowl game only. Besides, we already KNOW what Sat can't do. Kimrey is an unknown.
Yes, I Kimrey ONLY for the bowl game. After that, break the bank and get a real OC. Sadly, we all know it won't happen. That's why I don't share your optimism about the bowl game.

I understand. I'm thinking more in line for the bowl game only. Besides, we already KNOW what Sat can't do. Kimrey is an unknown.
The only thing that bothers me is that Roper was fired before the bowl game against Michigan and BMac took his place - it was an audition of sorts. The offense looked good in the second half with BMac calling plays. We hired him. Then the offense went south.

The only thing that bothers me is that Roper was fired before the bowl game against Michigan and BMac took his place - it was an audition of sorts. The offense looked good in the second half with BMac calling plays. We hired him. Then the offense went south.
I said then that hiring BMac was a mistake. He basically called a quarter and a half of decent football that was largely aided by Michigan turning the ball over 5 times. (Credit to Skai Moore and our D though.)

But it was typical of Muschamp to hire a rookie OC that no one else wanted so he could keep him under his overly-conservative thumb.

Believe that BMac also did well taking over at UGA for a bowl game and did well.

Guess its actually different when they have to install their own offense and then call the plays for it.

I said then that hiring BMac was a mistake. He basically called a quarter and a half of decent football that was largely aided by Michigan turning the ball over 5 times. (Credit to Skai Moore and our D though.)

But it was typical of Muschamp to hire a rookie OC that no one else wanted so he could keep him under his overly-conservative thumb.
To be fair, he did hire Werner to assist him, but BMac was simply too confident in his own abilities to consult with Werner. Too bad....because BMac could have learned a lot from Werner's experience and success.

To be fair, he did hire Werner to assist him, but BMac was simply too confident in his own abilities to consult with Werner. Too bad....because BMac could have learned a lot from Werner's experience and success.
That experiment should've ended with Werner completely taking over game planning and playcalling duties by the end of that season.

But if we're being honest, none of it would've mattered. Muschamp just couldn't keep his grubby hands off the offense. And that's why he'll never be a P5 HC again.

Reactions: gamecock stock
If we were to have an opening, I would hope there is enough sense to hire someone with proven, successful coordinating experience. The fact that UGA was not willing to keep BMac on, should have been the canary in the coal mine for Muschamp. Yes, we beat Michigan in that bowl game. But I didn't see anything in that game, overall, that gave me confidence in BMac as OC. I guess it's irrelevant because SAT will be the OC for the bowl, and possibly for next season.

That experiment should've ended with Werner completely taking over game planning and playcalling duties by the end of that season.

But if we're being honest, none of it would've mattered. Muschamp just couldn't keep his grubby hands off the offense. And that's why he'll never be a P5 HC again.
For personal reasons that are pretty well known, Werner didn't want the OC position....he didn't want to spend the time on the road recruiting.

Never have seen anything definitive on Muschamp's involvement with the offense. Some "insider's" say he left it alone, some don't, some say he was hand's off until it was apparent it wasn't working. Who knows. Water under the bridge at this point.

Reactions: TAV31
For personal reasons that are pretty well known, Werner didn't want the OC position....he didn't want to spend the time on the road recruiting.

Never have seen anything definitive on Muschamp's involvement with the offense. Some "insider's" say he left it alone, some don't, some say he was hand's off until it was apparent it wasn't working. Who knows. Water under the bridge at this point.
I'll never believe he was hands off. He had five OCs between here and Florida (six of you count both of Roper's stints). All of them were unimaginative, disjointed, conservative and just overall crappy. He was the one constant.

Just because he didn't actually say, "I want to run play X here" doesn't mean he wasn't the one telling his OCs to slow things down, play conservative, run out the clock at the end of the half instead of trying to score and punt on 4th and short deep in the opponent's territory.

Like the old saying goes: Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy fire.

Reactions: Bwellbaseball
He said offense. So, it has to be Stepp....right? I was in Gainesville the last few days around Gator fans. I'm telling you, those people mean business. They are not putting up with mediocrity. They demand the very best down there. I was kind of envious to be around them. I told them I had hoped for either Napier or Caldwell but, was still hopeful on Beamer. They indicated they put lots of money into booster club, buying tickets, etc and were not going to put up with the crap they had in recent years. Like I said, i was kind of envious of their determination. I wish we had that attitude.

By the way, one of them told me that Spurrier has started a restaurant down there.
really? you think we dont have fans like that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT