ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, looking ahead for the rest of the baseball season...

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
Ok, I just jinxed them... But, I think we just made a case to play in the Regionals after beating LSU, 2 out 3 against Vandy and beating #5 Ole Miss so far...

We need to take two out of three against Ole Miss, beat CofC, Sweep Mizzou, Beat USC Upstate and sneak a win on the road against TAM... That would give us 33 wins for the season..

For us to host a Regional, then we need to win 3 or 4 games in the SEC Tournament...

They are playing extremely well right now. But, this is still a very fragile team. They have the potential to win them all, and could just as easily lose them all. The key to our recent improved play has been the return of key players from injuries. But, we still have at least 3 who are playing through some form of injury (Taylor, Row, and Stokes). Add Campbell to that mix as a player who still has not recovered from a previous injury, but can still be inserted into the lineup in key situations if necessary.

If this team can stay relatively healthy from here on out, we will be fine even though our starting pitching is obviously the weak link going forward. However, our bullpen has been outstanding, and pleasantly surprising for the most part. In fact, IMHO, they have been so good (and Kingston appears to have figured out the roles each best serves) that we only need our starters to give us 4-5 innings per game. Anything more than that is gravy.

Ok, I just jinxed them... But, I think we just made a case to play in the Regionals after beating LSU, 2 out 3 against Vandy and beating #5 Ole Miss so far...

We need to take two out of three against Ole Miss, beat CofC, Sweep Mizzou, Beat USC Upstate and sneak a win on the road against TAM... That would give us 33 wins for the season..

For us to host a Regional, then we need to win 3 or 4 games in the SEC Tournament...
I don't think we need to do all that to host. If we win the next 3 series and the mid week games, I think we host. A sweep would be gravy but 2 out three should get it done.

The committee should take into account some losses where we had so many key players out. The team you see now is playing like a top 10 team especially on offens and I love how our bull pen is developing. The RPI isn't great but it will jump if we keep winning.

I do agree if we lose a series , we may need to make some noise in Hoover. Its just nice to be playing some great baseball again, and being able to have this type of discussion.

I don't think we need to do all that to host. If we win the next 3 series and the mid week games, I think we host. A sweep would be gravy but 2 out three should get it done.

The committee should take into account some losses where we had so many key players out. The team you see now is playing like a top 10 team especially on offens and I love how our bull pen is developing. The RPI isn't great but it will jump if we keep winning.

I do agree if we lose a series , we may need to make some noise in Hoover. Its just nice to be playing some great baseball again, and being able to have this type of discussion.
last I looked, rpi was in the lower 40's. one would think that would get you in.

last I looked, rpi was in the lower 40's. one would think that would get you in.
I'm thinking in terms of hosting. Those midweek losses to the likes of PC, Citadel and Furman really ballooned it. There were some really bad losses but we're a much better team now.

Reactions: king ward
Let’s win this game today and see what we can do on Sunday....

All of a sudden, we’re a hitting team.,, Putting up double digits...
You could see this coming a while back in my opinion. It just took us getting healthy and some stability in the lineup.

Stokes, Row, Hopkins, and even Campbell make this team dangerous. Without two or three of those guys in the lineup, it's a big drop off.

If we had been healthy all year, we would already be in the thick of the hosting conversation. We've whipped up on a possible national seed these last 2 games. Hopefully this team is peaking at the right time.

With the teams we have beaten and come from behind to beat lately there is not a team we can't beat right now. We have consistently gotten better and it's all attitude and good coaching along with health. What has happened to this team is border line miraculous.

You could see this coming a while back in my opinion. It just took us getting healthy and some stability in the lineup.

Stokes, Row, Hopkins, and even Campbell make this team dangerous. Without two or three of those guys in the lineup, it's a big drop off.

If we had been healthy all year, we would already be in the thick of the hosting conversation. We've whipped up on a possible national seed these last 2 games. Hopefully this team is peaking at the right time.
That....and the players buying into the physical and mental approach Kingston has been trying to make at the plate. Shorter, more compact swings and simply making contact with the ball. It looks as though it has become second nature to those in the lineup. If it continues and they don't fall back into old habits, we will be better than fine.

That....and the players buying into the physical and mental approach Kingston has been trying to make at the plate. Shorter, more compact swings and simply making contact with the ball. It looks as though it has become second nature to those in the lineup. If it continues and they don't fall back into old habits, we will be better than fine.
I agree with you. The hitting approach is light years better than last year. This team has the potential to rival some of Tanner's best hitting teams and may be even better. We had a total of zero .300 hitters last year. This year we have 3 guys batting over .350 and 5 over .300. Cortes would be there if he hadn't started so slow.

Coach Kingston has even gotten more into launch angles and exit speed technology. He's improved this team tremendously since last year. I feel really good about this staff going forward.

After the Presbyterian game you said that Kingston was the wrong man for the job . OP:p

You must be drunk or stupid...

I’ve never said Mark Kingston was the wrong man for the job.., Like for you to post a link where I said that...:mad:

Now if you change the the name to Chad Holbroken and you would be correct...

To host we'd have to be a top 16 seed. We'd have to win all games the rest of the way and win Hoover. I don't see our RPI getting that high without winning Hoover.

To host we'd have to be a top 16 seed. We'd have to win all games the rest of the way and win Hoover. I don't see our RPI getting that high without winning Hoover.
RPI is a major factor in determining the top 16 seeds, but there are a lot of other factors the selection committee will consider.

Winning these series against top competition can override a slightly higher RPI than some of the other teams. Some of those bad losses can be overlooked to an extent when they consider a depleted lineup at the time.

This team is hot and playing well. We're racking up quality wins. I'd be willing to bet we get a regional if we win the next two series and the midweek games. We might have to make some noise in Hoover if we do much less than that.

Last edited:
1st thing is to get in the tournament without depending on some freaking committee. If USC is on the bubble they won’t get in. Just seems to happen that way for USC Athletics.

Reactions: thisisnextyr
There's serious baseball yet to be played but right now there are a lot of teams pulling against us to get in the post season. If you didn't know better when watching our games you wouldn't know which team was a top 10 team. I'm not greedy enough to want to host a regional just get in one and see what happens.

RPI is a major factor in determining the top 16 seeds, but there are a lot of other factors the selection committee will consider.

Winning these series against top competition can override a slightly higher RPI than some of the other teams. Some of those bad losses can be overlooked to an extent when they consider a depleted lineup at the time.

This team is hot and playing well. We're racking up quality wins. I'd be willing to bet we get a regional if we win the next two series and the midweek games. We might have to make some noise in Hoover if we do much less than that.

Our RPI is 32 currently

It’s amazing how much things have changed in the past few weeks. It looked like it would take a miracle to even make a regional. Now the talk is about what we need to do to get a top 16 seed and host. Wow
I’ll be glad if we just make a regional, and see what happens. This team has really grown since opening day against vmi, and are much more fun to watch lately.

The midweek losses are hurting us a lot.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
The midweek losses are hurting us a lot.
I agree. They've put us in a tight spot and don't leave much margin for error.

Would have been huge to sweep Ole Miss from an RPI standpoint but at least we won the series. Even with the loss we might sneak into the top 30 RPI. Still holding out hope for a regional but we can be a thorn in somebody's side if we have to travel.

I think it was Bride who said last week that they had been using a pitching machine since the PC game that can't be hit with a long swing. Looks like muscle memory is starting to set in. I am very impressed this coach identified what seemed to be a team wide problem and is taking the necessary steps to correct... something Holbrook couldn't or wouldn't do. I'm quickly becoming a big fan of his. With that said, he still has a couple of guys pulling their head off the ball and they all could be better bunters when called upon to do so. But based on what he has done so far, I have no doubt he'll get those issues fixed as well.

Upstate won’t be an easy out if Whitney is pitching. Kids pretty good.

They don't have any games this weekend, so they are going to throw everything they have at us.

giphy.gif

Better beat them for more reasons than our postseason hopes.

They don't have any games this weekend, so they are going to throw everything they have at us.
Why don't they have any games this weekend?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT