ADVERTISEMENT

OT: France to ban the internal combustion engine in 2040.

I'm sure the post-apocalyptic hordes marauding across Europe like a Mad Max movie will take that into consideration. Jk?

Reactions: cocky4
giphy.gif

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
The French do make their own cars. Peugeot, Citroen and Renault are all popular French vehicle companies in Europe. Bugatti also is French.

Well, unless they've improved their cars, none of them are worth a crap. I won't let someone park one of the cars made in France in front of my house let alone buy one. If they are no better than they were mechanically a few years back.

I don't even know of a dealership that sells any French cars in the WNC area. Not saying there are no dealerships but I certainly don't know of anyone who owns a French made car.

Last edited:
The French do make their own cars. Peugeot, Citroen and Renault are all popular French vehicle companies in Europe. Bugatti also is French.

There use to be a French made car by the name Semica, that was the most worthless excuse for a car I personally ever drove. A friend of mine in college owned the car and he constantly had problems keeping it running.

Well, unless they've improved their cars, none of them are worth a crap. I won't let someone park one of the cars made in France in front of my house let alone buy one. If they are no better than they were mechanically a few years back.

I don't even know of a dealership that sells any French cars in the WNC area. Not saying there are no dealerships but I certainly don't know of anyone who owns a French made car.
A Bugatti dealership in WNC! Ha! That would be a sight to see.

There use to be a French made car by the name Semica, that was the most worthless excuse for a car I personally ever drove. A friend of mine in college owned the car and he constantly had problems keeping it running.

Oh boy, please tell us more about a car your friend had 60 years ago.

And if you don't know about Bugatti then there's nothing to discuss. You'll just be making a fool of yourself.

Then again, I do love how you golden oldies only knowledge of France and Europe is based on 75 years ago and what you're fed on Fox News. Try to step into the modern era sometime and turn off the history and military channel.

Those electric vehicles should do well the next time they get invaded. I guess we'll have to send our reprehensible combustible engine tanks over to save them when that happens.

Oh boy, please tell us more about a car your friend had 60 years ago.

And if you don't know about Bugatti then there's nothing to discuss. You'll just be making a fool of yourself.

Then again, I do love how you golden oldies only knowledge of France and Europe is based on 75 years ago and what you're fed on Fox News. Try to step into the modern era sometime and turn off the history and military channel.

It wasn't 60 years ago, in fact it wasn't even 50 years ago. BTW, I don't need to make a fool of myself when you do it to yourself.

But, let me ask you this, if the French cars are so great how come there are none in the US to speak of? And also smart guy, I made it abundantly clear in my post "Well, unless they've improved their cars, none of them are worth a crap. I won't let someone park one of the cars made in France in front of my house let alone buy one. If they are no better than they were mechanically a few years back". But since you are such a smart guy I thought you could have deduced that from my comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: cocky4
I do not doubt that the French will do this and probably the EU as a whole will follow suit. They are at the front of the line of doing things not because they make sense or will work....but because that is the way they want to world to be. That mindset has worked well for them so far.

Some of you are not paying attention
This is the trend for future cars. Volvo already announced by 2019 all cars will be electric and/or hybrid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...mes-first-major-car-manufacturer-go-electric/
Volvo is Chinese owned. The Chinese, and the French for that matter, are probably trying to cut ties to Middle East oil, besides the obvious smog concerns in mainland China. Cutting consumer oil needs frees up oil for strategic military reserves.

Reactions: Jeremiah Bullfrog
It wasn't 60 years ago, in fact it wasn't even 50 years ago. BTW, I don't need to make a fool of myself when you do it to yourself.

But, let me ask you this, if the French cars are so great how come there are none in the US to speak of? And also smart guy, I made it abundantly clear in my post "Well, unless they've improved their cars, none of them are worth a crap. I won't let someone park one of the cars made in France in front of my house let alone buy one. If they are no better than they were mechanically a few years back". But since you are such a smart guy I thought you could have deduced that from my comment.
Give him a break. He was just repeating what Bill&Hill told him.

Bugatti is owned by German Volkswagen and before the Veyron Bugatti hadn't produced a car worth a crap since before WW2.

French cars are notoriously bad in their design, aesthetics, and functionality. Most still being built with a peasant farmer in mind.

I appreciate the French for many things but autos are not on my list.

nothing wrong with having a goal. It is entirely possible to continue to improve the electric and hybrid engines. I have larger vehicles but recently rented a small car. I loved that 42 mpg. IMO it works fine with small cars but how well do they work with larger heavier vehicles. I know we have electric trains but that is a different situation.

nothing wrong with having a goal. It is entirely possible to continue to improve the electric and hybrid engines. I have larger vehicles but recently rented a small car. I loved that 42 mpg. IMO it works fine with small cars but how well do they work with larger heavier vehicles. I know we have electric trains but that is a different situation.
I think there will always be a need for the combustion engine in some capacity. Moving in a greener direction doesn't necessarily mean we will have electric freight trucks.

Reactions: king ward and DC-99
I do not doubt that the French will do this and probably the EU as a whole will follow suit. They are at the front of the line of doing things not because they make sense or will work....but because that is the way they want to world to be. That mindset has worked well for them so far.

I would not say it has worked very well. France has a 9.5% unemployment rate, compared to Germany's 3.9%. .

Reactions: Jpcooper
So, lets burn a whole lot of coal and fossil fuels to create that "clean" electricity. But, tell me this, how is the government going to replace its lost revenue from the gasoline tax when everything is electric? This is the problem the US is facing because of greater fuel efficiency mandates. If anything, the government should want worse gas mileage so that it collects more taxes. Are they going to charge per mile? How do you enforce? Put a GPS in every car that the government can monitor? Is the mileage tax paid monthly, quarterly, yearly? The only reason we have decent collection of FICA/FUTA/SALES taxes is that the store/owner is responsible for collecting. How many consumers avoid this by using cash/barter? Get ready for your taxes to go up significantly higher in the future ...

So, lets burn a whole lot of coal and fossil fuels to create that "clean" electricity. But, tell me this, how is the government going to replace its lost revenue from the gasoline tax when everything is electric? This is the problem the US is facing because of greater fuel efficiency mandates. If anything, the government should want worse gas mileage so that it collects more taxes. Are they going to charge per mile? How do you enforce? Put a GPS in every car that the government can monitor? Is the mileage tax paid monthly, quarterly, yearly? The only reason we have decent collection of FICA/FUTA/SALES taxes is that the store/owner is responsible for collecting. How many consumers avoid this by using cash/barter? Get ready for your taxes to go up significantly higher in the future ...

Tax structure is and has always been a moving target. Every change in the supply, ownership or employment chain means that the tax structure should change to maintain adequate taxes to support the services we all expect and demand.

Might be a difficult concept for some to swallow but most countries with higher taxes than the USA also have a higher overall quality of life that is not as stratified as ours.

South Carolina's new gas tax bill includes a road use fee that is double for hybrids and quadruple for electric cars, which is fair considering the loss of revenues from reduced gas taxes. French cars were sold in the US for many years, but they all pulled out due to poor quality and sales. The German cars were so much better, then the Japanese cars came along and put the French out of business. I rented a Peugeot in France last year and found it to be a good car as far as driving and fuel economy. It had a 6 speed manual transmission and was fun to drive, but I have not idea about reliability, this was a relatively new car. It was interesting that the majority of the cars in France were Mercedes and BMW's.

Old news. Was announced 7/6/2017. WOW and NASCAR was gonna announce a 500 kilometer race around the Arc de Triumph, to replace Darlington.
Not convinced they'll get to 100% fully-electric cars, but a conversion to a combo of hybrids and EVs is entirely achievable. Plus, you have to remember, France has already weened itself away from oil and coal for electricity production, so doing the same with vehicles is not that big of a reach for them. The vast majority of their electricity comes from nuclear plants, with hydroelectric and other renewables coming in 2nd, ahead of coal and far ahead of oil or even natural gas...

Electricity_production_by_sources_in_France.png

Reactions: aj&uscgrad

Well, that was both ignorant AND wrong.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
Volvo is Chinese owned. The Chinese, and the French for that matter, are probably trying to cut ties to Middle East oil, besides the obvious smog concerns in mainland China. Cutting consumer oil needs frees up oil for strategic military reserves.
Umm, dude, French and military are mutually exclusive. "I'd rather have a German division in front of me, than a French one behind" - Patton

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT