ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michelle Childs - USC grad

Precisely, look up the definition of militia. No militias were not regulated by the state at that time that’s ridiculous. You think the militia that the swamp Fox led was regulated by the state? Seriously?

Let me reword it for you in modern English so you can understand. A well regulated militia is needed for the security of a free state. With that said it is the citizens rights to have arms and that right should not be taken away.

It does not say the right shall not be infringed for soldiers it says citizens.

I would encourage you to look up some historical documentation before you make such outlandish claims. Francis Marion was literally commissioned by the state.

So now only are you ignoring the language of the constitution you're just making up historical "facts"

It protects the people's right to bear arms in order to form a "well regulated militia" when needed. People weren't expected to buy guns only when needed and then discard them after use. Or expected to count on the government to provide guns. Especially considering that they just fought a war against their own government.

Unless you can point to me all the historical references to the founding fathers rounding up guns from people that didn't meet your criteria.
Yes, the law was written so militia members did not have to worry about their weapons being taken from them by the federal government to prevent their service in the militia.

In no way was it written to prevent the government from enacting and enforcing gun laws.

Last edited:
Even Scalia wrote in Heller " it is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”
But he also wrote, “ The Court holds that the first clause of the Second Amendment that references a “militia” is a prefatory clause that does not limit the operative clause of the Amendment. Additionally, the term “militia” should not be confined to those serving in the military, because at the time the term referred to all able-bodied men who were capable of being called to such service.”

Reactions: mikeypen
Yes, the law was written so militia members did not have to worry about their weapons being taken from them by the federal government to prevent their service in the militia.

In no way was it written to prevent the government from enacting and enforcing gun laws.

Pretty sure if that law read "the right of the people to have an abortion, shall not be infringed", the left would be claiming ANY law would be an infringement.

Actually, that's what the left already claims.

Pretty sure if that law read "the right of the people to have an abortion, shall not be infringed", the left would be claiming ANY law would be an infringement.

Actually, that's what the left already claims.

The point is you're the one claiming you actually follow the constitution when you don't. Liberals admit they take into account the evolving norms of society.

The point is you're the one claiming you actually follow the constitution when you don't. Liberals admit they take into account the evolving norms of society.

Nothing about my stance on the 2nd involves me not following the Constitution. Quite the opposite. Shall not be infringed is pretty clear.

And "norms of society" don't just bypass the Constitution. If society isn't happy, then society need to get the support to amend the Constitution like has been done in the past.

Only a dull, ignorant despot would think the 2nd Amendment does not apply to the individual. Talk about ignoring part of the Amendment, indeed. Only tyrants and terrorists ignore this part: "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

And imagine, the SCOTUS was only one terrorist short in both Heller and McDonald of turning this into a nation where you were nothing more than a subject of the government.

1. What advantage was gained by rioting and looting?

2. So comparing something to The Holocaust isn’t really an issue. Regardless of which side does it, it’s an issue. It likely didn’t kill any of your family members, so maybe that makes it less of an issue to you.

3. You still get to breathe, it’s just people prefer you not breathe on them so that they don’t get sick and possibly die. That’s the name of the game. Trying to keep most people breathing without the need for a ventilator.

1. The left constantly used the unrest to claim it was proof that people wanted to defund the police and to swing the election. Notice how most of the left wing violence stopped after they got what they wanted in November. Many governors and mayors let to go in order to push their agenda. As they chanted, No justice, no peace.

2. The Holocaust comparison has been used by quite a few drama queens on all sizes. Doesn't make it the official position of the entire "right". Quite a few more on the left compared Trump to Hitler. Even our own Jim Clyburn did it. It's a lazy argument, no matter which side does it.

3. The gov and a few nut jobs don't get to decide HOW I breathe, especially since we now know that anything less than N95 is a waste of time. If you are concerned about the air you breathe, you get a N95 and have at it.

Reactions: Cybercock
No, I actually got passed on by USC school of law because in the early 2000's USC was trying to catch up with the minority ratio. So I got to see more than one person with a lower GPA and lower LSAT get into the law school because we were filling a "quota". Federal funds were going to get taken away if USC didn't comply. I got accepted into several other law schools, so no biggie. It still doesn't bother my love for USC sports. Everyone says being a white man is an unfair advantage, the hell if that is the case for most of us average guys.
So, you were going around violating the privacy rights of minorities just to fulfill your claim that you are a persecuted white guy. If you didn't get in because of that, then you were far below the mean with regard to applicants. I feel a school can pick the students they want as long as they meet a minimum standard. So, I have never bought the "woe is me attitude" in this area. You, also, missed a dynamic in the acceptance of minority law students. You forget those who had been accepted to law schools with better reputations but stayed as a result of financial incentives. I fit that criteria. I was all set to go to Emory or Cornell, however, the financial offer to remain in the state was too good to pass up.

I like Garland a lot. I think he's actually one of the least political AG's we've had. If anyone had a "right" to be political, it would be Garland. The way he was treated, as even some Republicans in Congress have admitted, was wrong and was 100% political.

John Ashcroft - He fought culture wars more than strict political ones.
Alberto Gonzalez- fairly political. Was seen as taking orders from Bush more than Ashcroft. His rep was hurt because he tried to find a way to justify torture to please the Bush Administration.
Eric Holder was very political- and served 8 years so his impact was influential.
Jeff Sessions was very political. But his tenure was short so it wasn't as impactful.
Bill Barr was quite political but not as political as Sessions or Holder in the overall scheme of things.

Garland, on the whole, is much more like Barr than Sessions or Holder.
Don't cast your pearls before swine, haha. People on this board probably think Matlock was attorney general.

Reactions: uscwatson21
If she is qualified then I would be happy to see her on the Court.Much prefer a judge not from one of the Ivy's we have more than enough of that perspective all through govt.Very disheartening that this process has become so political.

No, I actually got passed on by USC school of law because in the early 2000's USC was trying to catch up with the minority ratio. So I got to see more than one person with a lower GPA and lower LSAT get into the law school because we were filling a "quota". Federal funds were going to get taken away if USC didn't comply. I got accepted into several other law schools, so no biggie. It still doesn't bother my love for USC sports. Everyone says being a white man is an unfair advantage, the hell if that is the case for most of us average guys.
I know. History hasn't been kind to the white male.

But he also wrote, “ The Court holds that the first clause of the Second Amendment that references a “militia” is a prefatory clause that does not limit the operative clause of the Amendment. Additionally, the term “militia” should not be confined to those serving in the military, because at the time the term referred to all able-bodied men who were capable of being called to such service.”

Well, I wasn't really talking about militias in my post.

I was referencing that the court has ruled that states can have certain gun restrictions, and laws - as all of of them do.

"In September 2020, Childs granted a preliminary injunction that blocked South Carolina's absentee ballot witness requirement. A United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit panel initially blocked the injunction granted by Childs, but the full appeals court reinstated it during an en banc session. Ultimately, the injunction was struck down by the Supreme Court of the United States." - Wikipedia.

Childs' is perfectly fine with opening the doors to possible fraudulent voting. Interesting to see so many of you agree with her position. What's ironic, is that the SAME Governmental Branch she wants to join, struck down her ignorance just over a year ago. God help us.

Could care less that she attended USC. A bad judge is a bad judge.

Last edited:
Seems like you're leaving off the dependent clauses in the language for a reason.

Like I said, show me where the founders fathers, after writing this, went around and took the guns from the people it didn't protect due to your mythical dependent clauses.

Spoiler alert: Didn't happen, because there were NONE that it didn't protect.

Like I said, show me where the founders fathers, after writing this, went around and took the guns from the people it didn't protect due to your mythical dependent clauses.

And if there were a dependent clause...and there isn't...the militia aspect would be dependent upon "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It’s a shame you can’t comprehend why this logic is faulty.

A classmate broke into my car when I was in high school. When he has children can I punish them for the crime?
You guys have to stop crying about not being the last guy on the bench of a 12 man basketball team. I know if I was on the margins to the point of being passed up for a potential quota pickup, I would be too embarrassed to tell anyone. Diversity is important. Does a football team operate efficiently with 15 Wide Receivers and no one to block? Any smart business is not going to continue peeling off the same profile time after time and expect to succeed.

You guys have to stop crying about not being the last guy on the bench of a 12 man basketball team. I know if I was on the margins to the point of being passed up for a potential quota pickup, I would be too embarrassed to tell anyone. Diversity is important. Does a football team operate efficiently with 15 Wide Receivers and no one to block? Any smart business is not going to continue peeling off the same profile time after time and expect to succeed.
Agreed. I hate to insult the university, but the minimum requirements to get into USC school of law are pretty low. To lose out to a diversity spot means you had an extremely low LSAT.

That's a lot of words to say you are okay with some level of racism.

Scalia’s option was the perfect example of him having an opinion and and trying to use originalism to justify the opinion. Not making a decision based on originalism.

Stevens clowned him and Thomas by intentionally writing an originalist dissent that exemplified their hypocrisy.

Agreed. I hate to insult the university, but the minimum requirements to get into USC school of law are pretty low. To lose out to a diversity spot means you had an extremely low LSAT.
Shouldn't be that way with the Supreme Court. Its not law school or a basketball team.

Shouldn't be that way with the Supreme Court. Its not law school or a basketball team.

I actually don’t completely disagree with you there. It was wrong to say you’re specifically picking someone based on gender and race.

it may hurt the democrats in the midterm elections.

That's a lot of words to say you are okay with some level of racism.
Is it racist when two white walk-ons sit on the bench, many times the son of a coach, knowing they will never play. Is it wrong for Brandon Martin to get so much playing time because his Dad is the coach. Maybe, but I don't see it as a big enough issue to say something has to fundamentally change. There is a level of nepotism, racism or whatever you want to call it in anything. Do you have a problem with a white male making $10,000 more on average a year than their black counterparts with the same education and experience. It's a fact. It happens. I don't like it, but I have to find a way to work around that $10,000 problem. There is never going to be some utopian society where the most qualified, able person always gets the job. Someone always is going to know someone. Someone always is going to have a well situated relative. You work to make it better, but you don't go around looking for every single racial slight to say, "Oh, I am persecuted". Racism is an issue, but crying over who is more mediocre is just as big an issue to me. When you strive for excellence, you are not at the margins wondering whether someone got the last spot over you.

Is it racist when two white walk-ons sit on the bench, many times the son of a coach, knowing they will never play. Is it wrong for Brandon Martin to get so much playing time because his Dad is the coach. Maybe, but I don't see it as a big enough issue to say something has to fundamentally change. There is a level of nepotism, racism or whatever you want to call it in anything. Do you have a problem with a white male making $10,000 more on average a year than their black counterparts with the same education and experience. It's a fact. It happens. I don't like it, but I have to find a way to work around that $10,000 problem. There is never going to be some utopian society where the most qualified, able person always gets the job. Someone always is going to know someone. Someone always is going to have a well situated relative. You work to make it better, but you don't go around looking for every single racial slight to say, "Oh, I am persecuted". Racism is an issue, but crying over who is more mediocre is just as big an issue to me. When you strive for excellence, you are not at the margins wondering whether someone got the last spot over you.
I'm married to a Filipina and have a mixed race child. I'm against anything that would be racist or unfair.

I'm married to a Filipina and have a mixed race child. I'm against anything that would be racist or unfair.
Good for you and like my Dad always told me coming up, "Fair is a festival that comes around every October". The areas of unfairness in the world are endless. You work to change those that are pervasive, but you don't, at least I don't, sit around crying about them. In this country, all a white guy has to do is stay within the 70th percentile of his peers and he is good. Pretty good odds if you ask me. Instead of crying about the one black guy that may or may not have got a position over you. Think about all of the white guys you lost out to and maybe look yourself in the mirror over that.

Good for you and like my Dad always told me coming up, "Fair is a festival that comes around every October". The areas of unfairness in the world are endless. You work to change those that are pervasive, but you don't, at least I don't, sit around crying about them. In this country, all a white guy has to do is stay within the 70th percentile of his peers and he is good. Pretty good odds if you ask me. Instead of crying about the one black guy that may or may not have got a position over you. Think about all of the white guys you lost out to and maybe look yourself in the mirror over that.
I'm not just concerned about myself. What if my son grows up and wants to get into a certain med school or perhaps an engineering graduate program and he loses one of the last couple of spots because of his race or some other subjective reason? You can say he was mediocre because he was one of the last being considered, but if he were still more qualified than another candidate that got that spot due to race, gender, religion, socioeconomic status, etc., being a factor, it still wouldn't be fair.

I just have a problem with any sort of racism or unfairness.

Biden's job as President is not to be fair in picking a nominee.

His job is to pick who HE thinks is best qualified for the position given the circumstances. He recognized, like Reagan did in 1980 when he said he'd be picking a woman, that it was way past time for a black female.

If Presidents were "fair" in selecting nominees, every choice would be the "next person up" from certain appeals courts or the runner up the last time they had a selection (if they had one before). But that's not the way it works.

This is a difference of philosophy.

Some people value having the people making such important decisions over everyone's lives being somewhat representative of the overall country because they believe it adds credibility to their decisions.

Those same people believe that having a supreme court of - for example- say 9 white men would eventually cause the population to devalue the court in such a way that it's decisions are eventually ignored.

With the country quickly becoming even more diverse - and it escalating fast, some people believe this is important.

I'm not just concerned about myself. What if my son grows up and wants to get into a certain med school or perhaps an engineering graduate program and he loses one of the last couple of spots because of his race or some other subjective reason? You can say he was mediocre because he was one of the last being considered, but if he were still more qualified than another candidate that got that spot due to race, gender, religion, socioeconomic status, etc., being a factor, it still wouldn't be fair.

upon what specific measure would your son be more qualified than someone else? What is that magic criteria?

What med school or graduate program makes decisions based on one criteria?

upon what specific measure would your son be more qualified than someone else? What is that magic criteria?

What med school or graduate program makes decisions based on one criteria?
You're being intentionally obtuse, rollerDave. If my son had, say, higher MCAT scores, or a higher GPA, or a longer list of science credits, but was denied because someone else was behind him in those areas because of race or gender, that is wrong. Just because you're okay with some racism or sexism, that doesn't make it right.

What were you thoughts on Donald Trump spending years promoting the lie that our first black President was illegally in office and wasn't a citizen of the United States. Did you sense any hint of racism or unfairness there?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT