ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Most Overrated Sports Superstar?

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
In any sport, current or past, what “Superstar” do you have as the most overrated? This thread is sure to create some debate.

I’m even nervous to say one because I know I’ll get blasted! I’ll just say it this way, if a lot of players shot the ball 30 times a game, they would’ve had numbers like Allen Iverson.

Never thought he made his team better either. Still a great player, just felt he was overrated. Think he falls into the great player and fun to watch category.

Wow this one is gonna tick people off but .... Mike Tyson . Really love Mike but here is why .... Name one GREAT fighter that he beat . Ali had Frazier , Foreman , Norton , Spinks etc etc . Sugar Ray had Duran , Hagler , Hearns . In my opinion Tyson only fought two great fighters in his career , Holyfield twice and Lennox Lewis . He lost all three fights and got Knocked out twice . As much as I loved Mike back in the day , I think his aura is bigger than his accomplishments . Ok I’m ready for the onslaught . Can’t really blame him for the lack of competition.

I’m even nervous to say one because I know I’ll get blasted! I’ll just say it this way, if a lot of players shot the ball 30 times a game, they would’ve had numbers like Allen Iverson.

Never thought he made his team better either. Still a great player, just felt he was overrated. Think he falls into the great player and fun to watch category.

I think what makes AI so impressive is what he was able to do at his size . I agree he was slight overrated but was there ever a tougher more ferocious player than him ?? He took an absolute pounding his entire career .

He took a pretty shity 76er's team to the finals. He had to have made them somewhat better.

I think what makes AI so impressive is what he was able to do at his size . I agree he was slight overrated but was there ever a tougher more ferocious player than him ?? He took an absolute pounding his entire career .

Agree it had to do with size. But that’s where opinions differ. At that level I just don’t consider size typically. But others do. That’s why these conversations are always so intriguing and it’s almost impossible to ever have a clear beat because of what people value.

Would’ve been interesting to see what he could’ve done in the football field as a QB. Always remember Bobby Bowden saying he was the best he had seen.

He took a pretty shity 76er's team to the finals. He had to have made them somewhat better.

;) No doubt. Not saying he sucked by any means. And he led them there, no doubt. Probably had a lot to do with the Eastern Conference at the time too. Post-Jordan...not too many good Eastern Conference teams for a while until the Pistons finally broke through.

By saying his team wasn’t better I should’ve said teammates.

Kind of reminds me of James Harden. Oh hell, I just named another. Harden will win MVPs and put up gaudy #’s. I never see him winning an NBA title. Great player though.

Last edited:
Wow this one is gonna tick people off but .... Mike Tyson . Really love Mike but here is why .... Name one GREAT fighter that he beat . Ali had Frazier , Foreman , Norton , Spinks etc etc . Sugar Ray had Duran , Hagler , Hearns . In my opinion Tyson only fought two great fighters in his career , Holyfield twice and Lennox Lewis . He lost all three fights and got Knocked out twice . As much as I loved Mike back in the day , I think his aura is bigger than his accomplishments . Ok I’m ready for the onslaught . Can’t really blame him for the lack of competition.

Feel like 80’s Mike was the real deal. 90’s post-prison Mike fought for the $. Never thought much of the Holyfield matchups. Those fights were terrible on both accounts. If not for the ear we’d probably never talk about them.

Reactions: funktavious
I think you make a legitimate point about Tyson. When he was in his prime, the heavyweight division was fairly weak. It would have been great to see him against some top flight heavyweights before he went to prison to see just how he measured up.

I’ve got to go with James Harden. There’s no doubt he has impressive numbers, but between his traveling step back and poor playoff performances, I just think he’s vastly overrated for the attention he gets.

Reactions: Carolina4

Tyson was not a good boxer. He had an incredible punch so it was fun to watch his matches waiting for him to connect. But he had little boxing skill other than that powerful punch. He is basically like the first baseman who hits for a .212 average , but smashes 42 home runs. Fun to watch bat, hoping for that long ball, but not the greatest baseball hitter.

Tyson was not a good boxer. He had an incredible punch so it was fun to watch his matches waiting for him to connect. But he had little boxing skill other than that powerful punch. He is basically like the first baseman who hits for a .212 average , but smashes 42 home runs. Fun to watch bat, hoping for that long ball, but not the greatest baseball hitter.

How about Butterbean? :)

Reactions: Burninlove
I know people will kill me for this but Dean Smith. All that talent and only 2 NC in 40 years of coaching. And he knew all the refs by their 1st name.

You know, I love the man but have always felt Spurrier underachieved by only winning one title. He had a hard road with 90’s FSU and the Nebraska Dynasty. I don’t think he’s overrated, but underachieved.

For me it's Chipper Jones. But maybe that's because during my long career as a Braves fan, almost every time Chipper came up to bat in a clutch situation with me watching he didn't produce.

That said, Chipper has HOF numbers and he's in the Hall, but the Braves only have one WS to show for that. I put some of that on him. Great player, yes. Absolutely. But overrated none the less.

I know people will kill me for this but Dean Smith. All that talent and only 2 NC in 40 years of coaching. And he knew all the refs by their 1st name.
This was actually one of the first names that popped into my mind when I read the title. He was certainly an innovator and influencer. Got to the finals 5 times, to the Final Four 11 times...but yeah, 2 titles sticks in my mind. During an era that featured far less parity UNC had some RIDICULOUS talent.
As for a more original "Most Overrated"...I'll go with NFL=Troy Aikman...NBA=Karl Malone...MLB=Derek Jeter.

Reactions: jeff2001
For me it's Chipper Jones. But maybe that's because during my long career as a Braves fan, almost every time Chipper came up to bat in a clutch situation with me watching he didn't produce.

That said, Chipper has HOF numbers and he's in the Hall, but the Braves only have one WS to show for that. I put some of that on him. Great player, yes. Absolutely. But overrated none the less.
I think any Mets fan might disagree.
I would say overall the Braves as a franchise underachieved in postseason. But considering I suffered through the 80’s as a fan I won’t complain about having only one World Series.

This was actually one of the first names that popped into my mind when I read the title. He was certainly an innovator and influencer. Got to the finals 5 times, to the Final Four 11 times...but yeah, 2 titles sticks in my mind. During an era that featured far less parity UNC had some RIDICULOUS talent.
As for a more original "Most Overrated"...I'll go with NFL=Troy Aikman...NBA=Karl Malone...MLB=Derek Jeter.

Jeter is bold. I’m not even disagreeing... just that so many Yankees fans who worship him and NYers not known to be the most reasonable folks in the world. Somebody check on Jon Snow in the morning to be sure he survived the night?? ;)

Chipper is easily top 5 ever at his position.

Jetter is much more overrated.

Reactions: wentzel25
Chipper is easily top 5 ever at his position.

Jetter is much more overrated.

Are you saying Chipper is top 5 overrated or best?

If best, and I love Chipper, but hard to say he’s best at his position considering he started at SS, moved to 3rd, then OF, and didn’t he even play 1st?

Which reminds me...Mike Piazza! Good hitter...absolutely terrible catcher.

Are you saying Chipper is top 5 overrated or best?

If best, and I love Chipper, but hard to say he’s best at his position considering he started at SS, moved to 3rd, then OF, and didn’t he even play 1st?

Which reminds me...Mike Piazza! Good hitter...absolutely terrible catcher.

I consider him top 5 3rd basemen of all time. Brett, Schmidt, Jones,.......

Feel like 80’s Mike was the real deal. 90’s post-prison Mike fought for the $. Never thought much of the Holyfield matchups. Those fights were terrible on both accounts. If not for the ear we’d probably never talk about them.

It’s to bad we never got to see Tyson V Evander in both their primes . The fight was scheduled and then when Tyson went to prison it killed the fight . I actually really enjoyed the first Holyfield fight . By that time Tyson’s attitude had turned a lot of people off and I was ecstatic to see Evander dominate him . I’m still convinced that Tyson did the bite because he knew he couldn’t win the second fight . Evander had already rocked him and I think Mike did it to get out of the fight without getting KOed again. A Tyson vs Holyfield fight pre prison would have been Epic . They were both well past their primes when they finally fought . If you think about it , boxing kinda died after Tyson and Holyfield . Heavyweight division has been a joke since they retired .

Chipper also made some of those moves "for the team" which I dont think many other superstars would do.

Football - Tony Romo, Julio Jones
Basketball - Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard
Baseball - Stephen Strasburg, Bryce Harper

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT