ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck

That's from observing both teams playing. This really isn't that hard to understand, Tressel consistently beat the best teams he faced Rhule has yet to do that. He lost to some cupcakes last year and this year he has an awe-inspiring record against teams like Rice, UTSA, Stephen F. Austin.

Do you think this team (USC) in year 4 under WM beats Baylor in year 2 under Rhule on a neutral field?

Joe Morrison was 10-1 at New Mexico, National Coach of the Year when he was hired. I don't think Holtz and Spurrier not being pulled away from a P5 school diminished their stature.

Steve Spurrier's final season was 2-4 not 3-9 and he wasn't around for the Citadel game.

South Carolina's in good company in the SEC where championships are concerned. Since the start of the championship game, only 5 teams have won it.

Tell me about Baylor's great season at the end of the season, if they're #12 after playing Oklahoma I'll join the Matt Ruhle fan club.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting USC can't hire a good coach. I'm suggesting that it's far more likely to be one of the following rather than someone who's already in a good P5 job:
  1. Coaches who left the college game but want back in (just like Holtz & Spurrier, or guys like Les Miles at Kansas, Mack Brown at UNC, Chip Kelly at UCLA, Mike Leach at WSU, etc.). USC has landed coaches via that route before and could do so again.
  2. Current up-and-coming coordinators who seem to have HC potential
  3. Head coaches who are proven winners at the G5 level
Any of those sources could produce a good hire.

But put yourself in Matt Rhule's shoes. He's already making millions as a HC at a program that has been in the CFP discussion and had a Heisman winner in recent memory. He's located in one of the most talent-rich states in the country. He just asked his family and several assistant coaches to move from Philly to Texas 2 years ago. Would he really walk away from that and make another job change for anything less than an A-list opportunity? Would he really give up the path he has to the CFP from the Big XII to take on South Carolina's SEC schedule, plus Clemson, every year? It's just not a smart career move and it's therefore not likely to happen. After all, consider how many programs tried to hire either Art Briles or Gary Patterson, yet failed. Same goes for Mike Gundy.

Besides, if you're so convinced that Matt Rhule's record will be unimpressive by year-end, then why would you want him anyway?

Do you think this team (USC) in year 4 under WM beats Baylor in year 2 under Rhule on a neutral field?

If anything I've said gives you the impression that I am enamored with WM at this point I take it back. I think since we beat Georgia at Georgia we certainly could beat Baylor. 3-5 Texas Tech took Baylor to double overtime at Waco. Baylor's like Clemson, they might be playing for the national championship against each other, but who knows how good either one of them are with the schedules they play.

I hope if we have an opening in the head coaching position that we hire somebody with a proven track record and not somebody that hasn't been successful over a long period of time. The woods are full of Willie Taggart, Lane Kiffin, Chad Morris, Tyrone Willingham, and Brad Scott types that were for one reason or another thought to be "hot" coaches. We have gone through our share of bad hires for one misguided reason or another.

If anything I've said gives you the impression that I am enamored with WM at this point I take it back. I think since we beat Georgia at Georgia we certainly could beat Baylor. 3-5 Texas Tech took Baylor to double overtime at Waco. Baylor's like Clemson, they might be playing for the national championship against each other, but who knows how good either one of them are with the schedules they play.

I hope if we have an opening in the head coaching position that we hire somebody with a proven track record and not somebody that hasn't been successful over a long period of time. The woods are full of Willie Taggart, Lane Kiffin, Chad Morris, Tyrone Willingham, and Brad Scott types that were for one reason or another thought to be "hot" coaches. We have gone through our share of bad hires for one misguided reason or another.

If you told me we would win the turnover margin 4-0 (like we did GA) against Baylor, we would def win. While their (Baylors) wins aren't that impressive, they are also not losing to the likes of UT, Missouri, and UNC either.

J/w your thoughts: Give me a few examples of of "proven track record" coaches that you would think be right for the job and would actually take it.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting USC can't hire a good coach. I'm suggesting that it's far more likely to be one of the following rather than someone who's already in a good P5 job:
  1. Coaches who left the college game but want back in (just like Holtz & Spurrier, or guys like Les Miles at Kansas, Mack Brown at UNC, Chip Kelly at UCLA, Mike Leach at WSU, etc.). USC has landed coaches via that route before and could do so again.
  2. Current up-and-coming coordinators who seem to have HC potential
  3. Head coaches who are proven winners at the G5 level
Any of those sources could produce a good hire.

But put yourself in Matt Rhule's shoes. He's already making millions as a HC at a program that has been in the CFP discussion and had a Heisman winner in recent memory. He's located in one of the most talent-rich states in the country. He just asked his family and several assistant coaches to move from Philly to Texas 2 years ago. Would he really walk away from that and make another job change for anything less than an A-list opportunity? Would he really give up the path he has to the CFP from the Big XII to take on South Carolina's SEC schedule, plus Clemson, every year? It's just not a smart career move and it's therefore not likely to happen. After all, consider how many programs tried to hire either Art Briles or Gary Patterson, yet failed. Same goes for Mike Gundy.

Besides, if you're so convinced that Matt Rhule's record will be unimpressive by year-end, then why would you want him anyway?

I don't want Matt Rhule.

If you told me we would win the turnover margin 4-0 (like we did GA) against Baylor, we would def win. While their (Baylors) wins aren't that impressive, they are also not losing to the likes of UT, Missouri, and UNC either.

J/w your thoughts: Give me a few examples of of "proven track record" coaches that you would think be right for the job and would actually take it.

So is Texas Tech, UTSA, Stephen A. Austin better than UT, Missouri, and UNC?

So is Texas Tech, UTSA, Stephen A. Austin better than UT, Missouri, and UNC?

Maybe? It's all Hypotheical. Ut lost to Georgia st. Missouri lost to Wyoming and Vandy. Hypotheically on a neutral field Baylor would be favored(not that it matters) to win.

Again:

8-0
Let’s fire WM and hire PJ Fleck. He’s 8-0 at Minnesota!
They had 498 yards offense with only 177 passing.
Guy can coach. Come on Ray.
Make the move.
I agree with this. He is a little like Urban Meyer, but the guy wins football games. He is winning at Minnesota, but he did the same and put Central Michigan in the Cotton Bowl. I think he is the kind of guy that will win wherever he goes. You just may have to hold your nose on some things with his personal life.

Maybe? It's all Hypotheical. Ut lost to Georgia st. Missouri lost to Wyoming and Vandy. Hypotheically on a neutral field Baylor would be favored(not that it matters) to win.

Again:
\

I'd start with Bryan Harsin, Chris Peterson and Klieman, but I don't possess the mind-reading capabilities of some of the posters on here who seem to know whether or not the coaches would be interested.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
\

I'd start with Bryan Harsin, Chris Peterson and Klieman, but I don't possess the mind-reading capabilities of some of the posters on here who seem to know whether or not the coaches would be interested.

Harsin maybe. Klieman has proved less than Fleck (unless your going to count a league a step up from high schoo)l. Chris Peterson isn't leaving the wast coast, and sure is not going to leave for a job that wouldn't be an "upgrade"over his current.

\

It doesn't take a mind reader to know Peterson isn't available. I doubt Harsin is either, but for enough money maybe.

Harsin maybe. Klieman has proved less than Fleck (unless your going to count a league a step up from high schoo)l. Chris Peterson isn't leaving the wast coast, and sure is not going to leave for a job that wouldn't be an "upgrade"over his current.

Klieman's team just beat Oklahoma. I don't think Minnesota has beaten anybody significant. Saying North Dakota State played in a league that is a step up from high school is ridiculous. Klieman's teams there beat the 5 FBS schools that they played; won 4 out of 5 national championships, received votes for the final AP Top Twenty his last year and ESPN hosted Game Day twice there during his tenure, the only non FBS school ever afforded that honor.

Klieman's team just beat Oklahoma. I don't think Minnesota has beaten anybody significant. Saying North Dakota State played in a league that is a step up from high school is ridiculous. Klieman's teams there beat the 5 FBS schools that they played; won 4 out of 5 national championships, received votes for the final AP Top Twenty his last year and ESPN hosted Game Day twice there during his tenure, the only non FBS school ever afforded that honor.

Also lost to Baylor at home by 3 scores and Ok st this year. Are you only going to give him credit for good wins but just forget his bad losses?

No thanks on a coach who is 52, no D1 success and no ties to the south east for recruiting reason.

Matt Rhule could be recruited here. Baylor may have the singularly dumbest alumni and BOD in the universe. They are nuts even compared to Auburn's bunch. I also think we could go after Auburn's coach (who I would love) for the same reason. They are still talking daily about firing him. Idiots

Another commodity on the coaching network is Mike Norvell. Even though he signed a huge contract, he could be gotten.

Though it may sound strange, I wonder if BMac would be a great head coach instead of a coordinator. He is 1-0. He can recruit and close.

Mike Norvell has proven himself to be a successful head coach. I assume he makes less money than Will Muschamp, who has proven himself to be a failure of a head coach. The logical thing to do would be to replace Will Muschamp with Mike Norvell.

Reactions: Chanticleer37
Norvell would be a great candidate. Given our current offensive personnel, he'd average at least 10 PPG more.

I don't know much about that boy but that PJ FLeck guy reminds me of Dumbo out there, another one of them look at me types. Hell though I'm old I'll take it if it gets us a 10 win season or 2 before I die. Here's what I think's gonna happen based on what I'm hearing from them big wig donors my wifes family knows. Were gonna mess around this yr, probably win 1-2 more and see them bowls on tv. Next yr if we don't do at least 6-6, Champs gone and well go shopping. I can see us going after Les Miles with how hes getting kansas going an I'm sure he'd love to get back into the SEC, I think thats gonna be a good fit.

RAy wouldn’t make the move. We would have to also fire Ray...... but we couldn’t be so lucky...

Yeah yeah!! Then we can have our new AD be turned down by Fleck. That would be brilliant. Maybe we could bring back Hyman and have a Darin Horn type hire. What a brilliant soul he was.

I don't know much about that boy but that PJ FLeck guy reminds me of Dumbo out there, another one of them look at me types. Hell though I'm old I'll take it if it gets us a 10 win season or 2 before I die. Here's what I think's gonna happen based on what I'm hearing from them big wig donors my wifes family knows. Were gonna mess around this yr, probably win 1-2 more and see them bowls on tv. Next yr if we don't do at least 6-6, Champs gone and well go shopping. I can see us going after Les Miles with how hes getting kansas going an I'm sure he'd love to get back into the SEC, I think thats gonna be a good fit.

Keeping this dead weight will only do us harm. If we could have gotten miles 15 years ago maybe. Now? Just not interested.

South Carolina's in good company in the SEC where championships are concerned. Since the start of the championship game, only 5 teams have won

Since the start of the championship game, only 5xxx 3? teams have won it.

Are you saying 15 teams have won the SEC championship game?

I think he's saying only 3 teams have won it since only 3 teams have won it in the current configuration (OSU, Bama, Clemson).

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
no, someone said 5, and only 3 teams have won the CFP National Championships.

I was saying only 5 teams had won the SEC championship (It's actually six) since the start of the SEC championship game 28 years ago. We're still in good company on that one. I could have made that clearer that I was only answering the oft-quoted stat that we've never won the SEC championship.

Gophers and football coach P.J. Fleck nearing contract extension

"With Fleck’s name surfacing for opening jobs (Florida State) and possible vacancies (Michigan State and Southern California), the two sides have been working on new terms for a few months, a source told the Pioneer Press on Monday. The source didn’t know how imminent an agreement could be reached.

Fleck currently makes $3.6 million this year, and $5 million annually would put him in the same ballpark as Nebraska’s Scott Frost, Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz and Ohio State’s Ryan Day in the top half of the conference’s coaches. Fleck’s current earnings put him at 11th in the 14-team Big Ten."

LOL!!! I don't mean to kidnap your post and don't even remember what this thread was about. I came across the Tenn game by accident and started watching. We are bad, really bad. I mean, I sincerely hope folks realize that it's going to be more of the same until it is fixed. Huh, to answer the above question, NO.

PJ has gotten Minnesota a bit better, and with the money they are spending on their football program, they should be getting better. But wake me up when they beat someone with a pulse. Football aside, I find him annoying. Constantly running around in his stupid little fleece and tie. It all just constantly screams....."look at me".

Reactions: SCExile
Yeah yeah!! Then we can have our new AD be turned down by Fleck. That would be brilliant. Maybe we could bring back Hyman and have a Darin Horn type hire. What a brilliant soul he was.

What you do is find the coach you want and make sure he has a good relationship with his AD. Then you hire his AD and charge him with bringing the coach with him.

...Football aside, I find him annoying. Constantly running around in his stupid little fleece and tie. It all just constantly screams....."look at me".
Tell me about it. I have to live with this every day (well, almost every day - I live in MN). I couldn't stand to be in the same room with him for more than 30 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT