ADVERTISEMENT

Professional sports-will you be watching or supporting?

Which sports will you be watching or supporting considering everything political going on

• NFL

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • NBA

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • MLB

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • None, I'm done

Votes: 50 54.9%

• Total voters
Depends. I'm not a big NBA guy anyway, so I have zero issue ignoring them anyway. NFL? It depends on what direction they take. Seems like they want to bow at the throne of the BLM movement. If they stay on that road and try to incorporate a "black" national anthem, and then make a show of kneeling for the real anthem, I am out. To this point baseball seems to have tried to avoid the political stuff as much as possible. Unfortunately, I bet I haven't watched a complete MLB game on TV in 20 years.

Reactions: importcock
I tried to watch the Yankees/Mets game last night. I was asleep by the fourth inning. Football and Basketball are just the only sports that can grab my attention and keep it for 2-3 hours. People need to keep the politics in perspective. In the late 60's, we had Muhammad Ali and the refusal to enter the military. You had athletes like Bill Russell, Jim Brown, and Lew Alcindor supporting Ali. You had the Olympics protests of 1968. People forget that our top basketball player, Lew Alcindor, refused to play, The Black players that did were considered "Uncle Toms". There were the Black Power protests at the medal ceremonies. You had athletes changing their names in the 70's. You even had a National Anthem Boycott in basketball in the early 90's. The 80's were a period of relative calm in sports, but was it a coincidence that most Black people rooted for the Lakers and Sixers and most white people rooted for the Celtics during that time. So, the politics of race has always been something that bubbles to the surface every so often. Many people take it too personal. If you are a good person and do your best to treat people right, nobody is pointing a finger at you and you have nothing to worry about.

Guys like Ali were right, though. It irritates me to hear anyone criticize him for refusing to go to Vietnam. Why should he go fight for a country that not only didn't seek to help people that looked like him, but actively sought to make their lives worse?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
i feel better particularly when they miss short putts, 6 feet or less. I’ve been particularly consistent of late, but I missed one 3’ par putt that still stands out a few rounds ago. I shot 86 at Aiken Country club, and easily could have been 83 or better. I fell in love with the course & the greens are particularly impressive & challenging. I also played hole 14 terribly, and I am so ready to play it again.

check out the Bryan brother’s latest video where he played 9 holes there.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Guys like Ali were right, though. It irritates me to hear anyone criticize him for refusing to go to Vietnam. Why should he go fight for a country that not only didn't seek to help people that looked like him, but actively sought to make their lives worse?
I don't separate Ali and guys of the present. The only difference is time. American society for the most part hated Ali. Time changed opinions. Look at the change in opinion of Kaepernick with one incident and four years. What people fail to do is try to see something from outside their own perspective. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean that people on the other side of an issue are making things up.

I won't watch a minute of any of them. I stopped watching the NFL for a while when the kneeling started a few years back.

Sports used to be about getting away from all this political shit. !

I always get ticked at this kind (your kind) of hypocrisy.

folks hate the politics of things, yet they love watching politics on tv 24 hours a day.

such snowflakes

folks hate the politics of things, yet they love watching politics on tv 24 hours a day.

such snowflakes
It's sort of like what Frank Martin is going through with this SAT thing. Frank always "got it" with his oftentimes Conservative, old-school opinions. The moment he makes mention of the SAT being culturally biased, an argument that has been made since at least the 80's, he needs to go away and he is not a winner anyway.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I have not watched the NBA in years because of all the rule changes (no palming of the ball, 4-6 steps, not 2 , when driving to the basket is Ok, etc.). Social justice statements on their jerseys will speed this decline.

NFL—- watched a little last year and do not intend to watch at all this year. Again, social justice statements are not the place for sporting events. What happens to the team where a player does not place any statements on his jersey. Another Drew Brees situation and down goes the team morale.

Major League Baseball is slow and boring. Speed the game up or the few fans they have will fall asleep.

main reasons—- players have become obnoxious adolescents focusing on themselves and not the team. They make more money in one game than some of their fans in one year or lifetime. I really don’t need them telling me about their social thinking and practices and what I should do or think. 2020 will be the year of many a franchise folding and I will not shed a tear for them or the owners, who caved into their demands.

I also don’t need celebrities, actors, actresses, singers, entertainers, etc., telling me what to think. Just like the games I won’t watch, I will exercise my right to boycott their products.

After watching the news tonight (July 25) and noting the actions of the WNBA players walking off the courts prior to the playing of the Star Spangled Banner and keeping the fans waiting for the game, you can add the WNBA to the list that I will not be watching. Their league is not doing that well and this type of behavior may result in fans deserting the games and the league folding before the end of their season.

Last edited:
Will watch the Braves, not interested in any other team. Haven't watched an entire NBA game since Jordan made his comeback. Will watch the NFL playoffs/Super Bowl, but regular season games are boring.

I hate that politics has infiltrated NCAA and professional sports. I will care the most about the sports that have athletes, coaches, owners, and commissioners that have not incorrectly judged society and are forcing their morality on the public they are condemning.

Baseball and Golf seem to have avoided making the broad based judgements of our society. They are boring sports to watch compared to football and basketball but I appreciate the respect they have shown the fans by not judging them into a moralistic category.

Reactions: mikeypen
I've been gravitating away from sports the last few years anyway. They're escapist entertainment for me. So if they insist on delivering me sermons, I'll find something else to do. The last couple falls, I felt like I wasted some good weekend days that i could have been fishing. I don't see myself buying tickets to any sporting events for some time to come.

Last edited:

such snowflakes
I understand his point. I want sports to get away from the political stuff. When I want political, which I often do, I watch/read that.

I understand his point. I want sports to get away from the political stuff. When I want political, which I often do, I watch/read that.
I agree with Rollerdude because this is a sports site where people can't help but to make things racial or political. Spare me there's nothing else to discuss jargon because there are plenty of sports websites that successfully avoid race and politics, even banning violators. It isnt that these whiners don't want politics with their sports, its that they don't want politics they disagree with along with their sports.

I agree with Rollerdude because this is a sports site where people can't help but to make things racial or political. Spare me there's nothing else to discuss jargon because there are plenty of sports websites that successfully avoid race and politics, even banning violators. It isnt that these whiners don't want politics with their sports, its that they don't want politics they disagree with along with their sports.
I will clear this up for you. Games are for sports. News show is for politics. Sport Forums, I could care less what is discussed. Have a nice day.

Classy comment.

WNBA.......wth? Players from the WNBA teams, the NY Liberty and the Seattle Storm, walked off the court as the national anthem played before their game, Fox News and ESPN reports. Certainly not one of the most watched of sports and this will hurt their brand. Sadly, all that is left for me to watch is golf.....

Rollerdude has been one of the main pushers of political posts. At every chance, there he is along with the others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT