ADVERTISEMENT

Pumper Logic Explained

JamesRob

May 31, 2012
Beamer Preseason: Get in the boat, get excited, we're going bowling this year! First year coach with unknown coordinators? Don't ask questions, just blindly follow. Little Shane's energy will push us through and he REALLY wants to be in Columbia!

Ugly win at ECU: A win is a win, the offense will figure it out. Satterfield is a mix of Riley and Joe Brady, what can go wrong?

Barely escape Vandy: Well what did you idiots expect? This team would go 0-12 with Muschamp, 4 wins is better than 2 wins last year. Ignore the all SEC schedule last year, doesn't matter. Little Shane needs 5 years to turn this around.

End of Season 1: 1-7 in the SEC isn't a shock, Little Shane needs 10 years to turn this around. We knew this team was terrible, Satterfield is the only thing holding us back. He deceived little Shane, can't blame him. Shane can't call plays, he was confused on what to look for in an OC.

The Kentucky game was the eye opener for me. When you get 3 turnovers AND LOSE, that’s telling. That game could have and should have been won. I think he lost the fans for the rest of the year with that game too because attendance has been poor ever since.

The Kentucky game was the eye opener for me. When you get 3 turnovers AND LOSE, that’s telling. That game could have and should have been won. I think he lost the fans for the rest of the year with that game too because attendance has been poor ever since.
Certainly could have and likely should have. Everything else being equal, a finished product on the sideline leads us to a gritty win.

One game? One game that was within a touchdown, lost the fans? Pretty crappy fans if so. Kentucky won because they had a 100 more yards, ten more first downs, 15 more plays and an outstanding 144 yard rusher. That offset the three turnovers. Not hard to work out. Kentucky is a 6-1 team, hardly a reason to lose the fans if a close loss. IMHO, Muschamp loses that game by 20.

One game? One game that was within a touchdown, lost the fans? Pretty crappy fans if so. Kentucky won because they had a 100 more yards, ten more first downs, 15 more plays and an outstanding 144 yard rusher. That offset the three turnovers. Not hard to work out. Kentucky is a 6-1 team, hardly a reason to lose the fans if a close loss. IMHO, Muschamp loses that game by 20.
Not all games are won or lost on statistics alone and this was a classic example. And what would or would not have happened with Muschamp on the sideline IMHO can never be ascertained. If you're trying to make the point that it's too early to give up on Beamer, I can readily endorse that

There's a place to stand between the "pumpers" and "pessimists."

For better or worse, Beamer is the coach at USC and, barring some major scandal, will continue to be for the next couple of years at a minimum.

We can bang on the keyboard all we want. However, the reality is that he's got the keys to the kingdom and he'll make the calls for now.

Personally, I've been pleasantly surprised at the consistency of the defense given the offense has been so bad. UT lit us up for a half, but the DC coaches made good adjustments in the 2nd half to keep it respectable.

We obviously need far better play from the OL and QB positions. Overall play calling has been spotty to poor. The penalties have been excessive and ill-timed. And Beamer's aggression, while a welcome sight, has been a bit excessive as well. Kicking a field goal in the 2nd Quarter of the Vandy game would have maintained the momentum we had going into the 2nd half, and the result would have likely been much different in the end.

Overall, it looks alot like what was expected so far and certainly consistent with what the odds makers believed going into the season. Let's let Beamer get some of his guys in the game in the next year or two and see what happens. If it's more of the same, we get louder and hopefully move forward from this staff.

Settle in, this is a three to five year rebuilding job. Gonna be some quieter stadiums and cheaper tickets for awhile, but we will get there. And, if you have followed me on this site for twenty three years, you know I have been the opposite of a sunshine pumper.

But, there comes a time to realize we ain't all that in football at SC, and Muschamp drained us dry. That's a deadly combo. Gonna take awhile to work through it.

If you hire a HC with no experience, he better have that experience and be ready to be a HC. Doesn’t make sense? Neither does the hire, but in the apparent age of CEO HC, you better hire people to make you look good, or stop clapping…..

Gamecock fans have been among the most loyal fans in the nation. Maybe, finally the fans are saying don't expect us to show up, and scream, and cheer if the university continues to mismanage the football program.
Stupidly loyal with almost zero ROI, and wayyyy too many of those folks think we would/should be lucky to be 7-5 on the regular with the occasional NYD bowl, and that we don’t deserve a top HC. Horseshite. We don’t get a $45 million a year split, and pay $3 million per? News to me. Should be LINED up down Bluff Road…..

Reactions: willhoit123
The OP and his cohort who posted second are two of the biggest pessimists on the board. If you gave them a sack of money, they would bitch about having to carry it. I hear Coastal has an opening for bandwagon games. Some things have been better this year. The defense, generally. Special teams are definitely better. The team doesn't quit. Offense took a step back. let him get a couple of recruiting classes in then revaluate

Beamer Preseason: Get in the boat, get excited, we're going bowling this year! First year coach with unknown coordinators? Don't ask questions, just blindly follow. Little Shane's energy will push us through and he REALLY wants to be in Columbia!

Ugly win at ECU: A win is a win, the offense will figure it out. Satterfield is a mix of Riley and Joe Brady, what can go wrong?

Barely escape Vandy: Well what did you idiots expect? This team would go 0-12 with Muschamp, 4 wins is better than 2 wins last year. Ignore the all SEC schedule last year, doesn't matter. Little Shane needs 5 years to turn this around.

End of Season 1: 1-7 in the SEC isn't a shock, Little Shane needs 10 years to turn this around. We knew this team was terrible, Satterfield is the only thing holding us back. He deceived little Shane, can't blame him. Shane can't call plays, he was confused on what to look for in an OC.
Doomer logic: I don't care if we've had incredible single season turn around in two phases, I choose to only focus on the one that's underachieving and expect a first year coach working with a team that had already beaten the preseason predictions 8 games into his first season. I also choose to believe that even though defense shot up 50 spots in team rankings and special teams went from only being good at punting to the top rated special teams unit in the country, that this coach can't possibly do the same thing on offense if given a couple of years. I root against my team to lose so I can thump my chest about being right, I predicted we'd only win 2 or 3 games and have already been proven wrong and I will never accept the Beamer hire but if we got Chadwell, I'd be happy to be in the same place until I slowly over the course of 5 years realize that the spread option will never work in the SEC and I could've known that if I just watched what happened everytime Chip Kelly played a team with a pulse, with the exception of LSU earlier this year.

You tell me though, what did you think the win total would be and what did you expect it of this defense? I'll tell you what I expected, I didn't think the OL would struggle this much with the zone run. I thought Tennessee would be a wreck even though I knew they had less positions of weakness I thought they'd still be bogged down with locker room cancer. I predicted 9 wins assuming Doty would be healthy, I expected reasonable improvement from the OL, serious improvement from the WRs and that Smith and Prunty would make it next to impossible to throw on us but of course Prunty never played a game and Doty got hurt so I started figuring weed be at 7 and I wasn't sure we'd top Kentucky, was just hopeful. Of course wrong about Kentucky, which I thought I could be but chose optimism, wrong about Tennessee but their culture is put of our control. I knew Georgia would be what they are, I knew TAMU would have our number in the trenches and we'll see that Saturday and I anticipate Florida to be bad for us. That optimism that I had before our roster even turned into this doesn't mean it was an expectation, but you clearly expect we won't go bowling so tell me how you've reached that decision already and tell me how this roster not going bowling prices Shane can't coach.

I hate Muschamp as much as the next Gamecock but he never lost a game to Kentucky by more than 14 and most games were much closer than that.

Gamecock fans have been among the most loyal fans in the nation. Maybe, finally the fans are saying don't expect us to show up, and scream, and cheer if the university continues to mismanage the football program.
But that is a different rationale than we lost a game to Kentucky by less than a TD.

The bigger point is one 16-10 loss to a 6-1 team can't be why all the fans quit.
Fair point and you’re right. It shouldn’t be.

I think the bigger reason is people are just burned out from us being so bad and the truth is we’re not any better. We will win more games because we played non conference games, but if we played 10 conference games this year we would be every bit the 2-8 we were last season.

Seriously how many times can people say the same crap over and over again?
You tater tots should be more concerned about Pittsburgh and that ass-cutting that coming Saturday for ya. Count me out for this crap

No. It’s absolutely insane to blame the new guy for 100+ years of mediocrity. People on here sound like bitter old men screaming “get off my lawn”. Good grief. It boggles the mind.

Hey, if you want to blame anyone, blame Spurrier. He taught us to quit clapping for moral victories so we did and now we don’t accept them. You can’t have it both ways. Beamer needed that win badly, an upset in his first years gets him all the fan loyalty he can stand.

Seriously how many times can people say the same crap over and over again?
You tater tots should be more concerned about Pittsburgh and that ass-cutting that coming Saturday for ya. Count me out for this crap

You have zero self-awareness. How many times can pumpers put their hands over their ears and yell Tater? So predictable and you call me repetitive, LOL.

You aren’t helping, you are enabling failure. This is why USC Alumni/fans get the worst ROI of any power 5 fanbase in the country. No fanbase supports more and has less to show for it than us.

Argue that Mr. status quo.

If you hire a HC with no experience, he better have that experience and be ready to be a HC. Doesn’t make sense? Neither does the hire, but in the apparent age of CEO HC, you better hire people to make you look good, or stop clapping…..
This isn’t the age of the CEO head coach. Shane Beamer ain’t dabo swinney and he damn sure ain’t no Bobby Bowden. 99% of college HCs have a side of the ball they’re experts on and come from...and they are always still involved behind the scenes with that side.

I’m not in objection to less than stellar attendance, makes getting to the tailgate spot a whole lot easier.😄

Reactions: SCexpat38
Doomer logic: I don't care if we've had incredible single season turn around in two phases, I choose to only focus on the one that's underachieving and expect a first year coach working with a team that had already beaten the preseason predictions 8 games into his first season. I also choose to believe that even though defense shot up 50 spots in team rankings and special teams went from only being good at punting to the top rated special teams unit in the country, that this coach can't possibly do the same thing on offense if given a couple of years. I root against my team to lose so I can thump my chest about being right, I predicted we'd only win 2 or 3 games and have already been proven wrong and I will never accept the Beamer hire but if we got Chadwell, I'd be happy to be in the same place until I slowly over the course of 5 years realize that the spread option will never work in the SEC and I could've known that if I just watched what happened everytime Chip Kelly played a team with a pulse, with the exception of LSU earlier this year.

You tell me though, what did you think the win total would be and what did you expect it of this defense? I'll tell you what I expected, I didn't think the OL would struggle this much with the zone run. I thought Tennessee would be a wreck even though I knew they had less positions of weakness I thought they'd still be bogged down with locker room cancer. I predicted 9 wins assuming Doty would be healthy, I expected reasonable improvement from the OL, serious improvement from the WRs and that Smith and Prunty would make it next to impossible to throw on us but of course Prunty never played a game and Doty got hurt so I started figuring weed be at 7 and I wasn't sure we'd top Kentucky, was just hopeful. Of course wrong about Kentucky, which I thought I could be but chose optimism, wrong about Tennessee but their culture is put of our control. I knew Georgia would be what they are, I knew TAMU would have our number in the trenches and we'll see that Saturday and I anticipate Florida to be bad for us. That optimism that I had before our roster even turned into this doesn't mean it was an expectation, but you clearly expect we won't go bowling so tell me how you've reached that decision already and tell me how this roster not going bowling prices Shane can't coach.
Dumbest post I’ve seen this year. Incredible turnarounds? We played an all SEC schedule last year...and thus far have struggled beating shytty ECU and Troy....and beat a team that is so bad nobody can remember their name (EIU)....and we came back from brink of death to beat Vandy at home....come on man

Settle in, this is a three to five year rebuilding job. Gonna be some quieter stadiums and cheaper tickets for awhile, but we will get there. And, if you have followed me on this site for twenty three years, you know I have been the opposite of a sunshine pumper.

But, there comes a time to realize we ain't all that in football at SC, and Muschamp drained us dry. That's a deadly combo. Gonna take awhile to work through it.
To work through and get to what? 7-5 seasons cause if you think a 3-5 year rebuilding job is gonna have us 2nd in the east that isn’t happening.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Dumbest post I’ve seen this year. Incredible turnarounds? We played an all SEC schedule last year...and thus far have struggled beating shytty ECU and Troy....and beat a team that is so bad nobody can remember their name (EIU)....and we came back from brink of death to beat Vandy at home....come on man
Did we or did we not improve defensively and on special teams? We have less talent on defense and a far better defense than last year and of you don't admit that then you're an idiot.

Edit: I'll even give examples, UGA and Kentucky are better offensively this year than last year, we had more NFL talent on defense last year than this year, we held both well below what they did last year. I'm not even gonna get into the turnovers we forced this year. Now would you like to say why you don't think the defense is better?

Last edited:
You predicted 9 wins and demand others explain themselves?
I explained why. I based it on the OL progressing, a healthy Doty and Prunty. I said after Doty got hurt and Prunty left I changed it to 7 wins. From the point Prunty transferred out and Doty got injured the only thing I was really wrong about in terms of record is Tennessee not being a dumpster fire. It was all there in my post and if you didn't get that then you need to work on reading comprehension. It's called transparency and again, I changed when I realized we'd be working without Prunty and Doty. So yes, I explained my logic including why I dropped my expectations and want to know whether his prediction involved us having a defense jump 50 spots and 4 wins to this point because I'm almost certain he bet on 3 for the season.

Did we or did we not improve defensively and on special teams? We have less talent on defense and a far better defense than last year and of you don't admit that then you're an idiot.
Uh...I don’t know because I can’t compare a full all- sec schedule to a partially played schedule featuring Eastern Illinois, Troy , ecu and Vanderbilt.
Mae do have less talent everywhere on the team....but we’ve been prison raped by 2 of the 3 SEC teams with a pulse...and UK had the game in hand the entire time. But you might as well compare this year to the 83 Miami hurricanes because that schedule has more in common to this year than last year

Uh...I don’t know because I can’t compare a full all- sec schedule to a partially played schedule featuring Eastern Illinois, Troy , ecu and Vanderbilt.
Mae do have less talent everywhere on the team....but we’ve been prison raped by 2 of the 3 SEC teams with a pulse...and UK had the game in hand the entire time. But you might as well compare this year to the 83 Miami hurricanes because that schedule has more in common to this year than last year
No, it's not like comparing us to the '83 Miami hurricanes, because we played UGA and Kentucky both last year and they both fielded worse offenses last year and we outperformed what we did to both of them without Robinson, Dixon and Ernest Jones. Second UGA is boat racing everyone this year and third there is no coach we could hire that would eliminate our inexperienced DBs and DL that was outweighed by their offensive line, which has two former 5 stars and 2 former 4 stars by the way. Our DL has some great pass rushers and while Pickens and Ellis weigh enough to be DTs, you'd want to pair either of them with someone between 320 and 340, you tell me which coach we could hire that would magically make one of our DTs 340, you can't hold that against the coaches and they still managed to limit the impact of that glaring shortcoming.

Edit: corrected auto-correct, Ernest but Everest

Reactions: WingchunCock
Did we play Vandy, EIU, Troy and Ecu as 4 out of our first 7 games? You think that is An SEC -comparable schedule? Those are four bad football teams....as evidenced by their W/L record and their performances vs our team.

Did we play Vandy, EIU, Troy and Ecu as 4 out of our first 7 games? You think that is An SEC -comparable schedule? Those are four bad football teams....as evidenced by their W/L record and their performances vs our team.
It's not enough to account for the 50 spots rise, but fine, it's 20 spots higher than the 2019 defense that also had a healthy Mukuamu, who was banged up all of last year, Jaycee Horn who didn't finish last year, DJ Wonnum in addition to Enagbare who we still have, TJ Brunson, Fennel and Kinlaw. Congrats we're still better than the 2019 team that was loaded with second and third year starters in the secondary, two more professional DL including the best DL we've had since Clowney and a hell of a contributer in Fennell.

Edit: forgot to mention, Brunson is alsoa pro and the only guy we know has an NFL future we have now that we didn't have then is Burch and he's not a starter.

What’s the point of being a fan if you can’t look at your own team through rose-colored glasses? You should always be hoping for the best and thinking the next recruit or coach is what’s going to lead to the breakthrough. Because again, what’s the point? Fanaticism isn’t realism - the only people that should be “realistic” about sports are the ones whose livelihoods depend on it.

What’s the point of being a fan if you can’t look at your own team through rose-colored glasses? You should always be hoping for the best and thinking the next recruit or coach is what’s going to lead to the breakthrough. Because again, what’s the point? Fanaticism isn’t realism - the only people that should be “realistic” about sports are the ones whose livelihoods depend on it.
So wanting the school to do its due diligence and hire the best candidate and then actually win is a bad thing? We should just close our eyes and cheer and blindly give? Like it or not its business now.

So wanting the school to do its due diligence and hire the best candidate and then actually win is a bad thing? We should just close our eyes and cheer and blindly give? Like it or not its business now.
What coach would would correct or size at DT, youth at QB and inexperience in the secondary. When you really look at it we are 4 and 3 and the only game our extremely bad offense really could've changed for us is Kentucky. All position groups are probably playing at their ceiling for their talent size and experience except for the OL and maybe QB, so what coach would have done better with this roster we have now? Kentucky was the only game we can reasonably expect to lose and they have an all blue chip secondary, only one loss and are in season 8 or 9 with Stoops. We've had huge turnarounds on defense and special teams and the only phase we haven't is offense. What really is a reasonable expectation for season one?

Reactions: WingchunCock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT