ADVERTISEMENT

Putting USC 1st

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
Ive listened on and off this wk to 107.5. Ive read a little on this board. I hope and pray that the boo birds arent the majority of USC fans. Ex USC players on 107.5 have said booing is NOT helpful in any way/shape/form to the team or the program. So while i understand people are frustated, look at the big picture.
1. Coach Muschamp is in his 3rd year at USC. He walked into a program left broken by Coach Spurrier. Like it or not, we as USC fans drank the koolaid the last few years of Spurriers tenure. Yes Spurrier did great things initially at USC, but hung it up 3 years or so before he actually left. That is not Muschamps fault.
2. I hear people complaining about "120 years of bad football" at USC. Once again, not Muschamp's fault. He's been here 3 years. Give him time.
3. I hear people throw up how much they spend on tix and that this money gives them the right to boo. 1st of all, buying tix is your choice. If u dont want to spend the money next year, dont. But b an adult at the games.
4. Lastly, if u r a true fan, believe Coach Muschamp when he says he is going to build a championship team in Cola. Support him, support the team, support the recruiting effort. This year is a step back but in the big pic, i believe we r on the right path.
GO COCKS. FOREVER TO THEE

I knew what I was signing up for when Joe passed away.

I’m not going anywhere and will still be at my tailgate spot until........... I can’t. My 67 year old uncle (& best friend) who started taking me to games when I was 5 ( circa 1981), still tailgates with me, along with his best friend who’s a young 65. They taught me what it means to be a Gamecock.

I can admit to missing Skai, but I don’t see us eating crow for too much longer

Reactions: GarnetGhost
With all due respect, who the F are you to tell me what I should believe? Champ is not a good coach. That is a fact. He’s proven it in seven years. If that’s not good enough for you, that’s your business. But don’t tell me what I should do or how to think.
This is how you talk to a lady? Just because you put "with all due respect" in front of it doesnt give you permission to be an asshole. Talk to her like she is in front of you and her husband is standing beside her.

I think some people actually believe that if Coach "Insert your savior coach's name here" came here that he'd have drastically different results (see Kirby Smart @ UGA) and I just completely disagree with that.
The fans that are screaming the loudest I think forget a few things:

1. Every other school is trying to improve and vying for top recruits/talent and is pursuing the next level of their own program...so with all of that going on it can be hard to make drastic jumps. This just isn't for South Carolina - its true for many schools like us.
2. It took Steve Spurrier until his 6th year here to have success. So that that coach you named above and Steve Spurrier in 2006 was as good as they come and it took him 6 years. I hear the rebuttal of "well he won some big games and beat Clemson" - who gives a crap really...to me that argument doesn't hold a lot of water. Was Clemson a national championship caliber program when he was playing them those years? Of course not.

I think the best thing overall is that we continue to recruit well - we have a good class building we need to hold on to - and I'm in the camp of giving the staff more time and support. Even at the beginning of the year you had people saying "wow, did we luck out and get the Muschamp FL thought they were getting" and all that but now the talk has immediately turned sour. Too many people can't stick with something and see it through and I'm willing to do that with coach. Give him his contract time and reassess where things stand after that.

I think some people actually believe that if Coach "Insert your savior coach's name here" came here that he'd have drastically different results (see Kirby Smart @ UGA) and I just completely disagree with that.
The fans that are screaming the loudest I think forget a few things:

1. Every other school is trying to improve and vying for top recruits/talent and is pursuing the next level of their own program...so with all of that going on it can be hard to make drastic jumps. This just isn't for South Carolina - its true for many schools like us.
2. It took Steve Spurrier until his 6th year here to have success. So that that coach you named above and Steve Spurrier in 2006 was as good as they come and it took him 6 years. I hear the rebuttal of "well he won some big games and beat Clemson" - who gives a crap really...to me that argument doesn't hold a lot of water. Was Clemson a national championship caliber program when he was playing them those years? Of course not.

I think the best thing overall is that we continue to recruit well - we have a good class building we need to hold on to - and I'm in the camp of giving the staff more time and support. Even at the beginning of the year you had people saying "wow, did we luck out and get the Muschamp FL thought they were getting" and all that but now the talk has immediately turned sour. Too many people can't stick with something and see it through and I'm willing to do that with coach. Give him his contract time and reassess where things stand after that.

You are right , Clemson was not on the level they are now . On the flip side the East isn’t what it is now . Last years 9-3 team wouldn’t have won 4 games against the competition in Spurrier’s early years . I agree with most of your points , however the difference is Spurrier still beat thems that were way more talented . He beat UF and UT his first year and they were head and shoulder more talented than we were . Honestly those Clemson teams that we beat 5 years were on paper way more talented than we were . Other than Michigan , who choked the game away , who has Muschamp beaten that he shouldn’t have beaten ?? 2016 Tennessee maybe but that team was on the verge of implosion . He’s gonna get at least one more year regardless. Who knows , if he can hold this recruiting class together he might make some Noise in 2020 . Next year is gonna be ugly . If he gets off to a good start in 2020 , I think he may be ok , if we underachieve again , he will be gone before Thanksgiving . Bottomline is until he proves otherwise , he is still gonna be the guy who couldn’t get it done at UF . Either way he will have at least another 2 years come hell or high water .

With all due respect, who the F are you to tell me what I should believe? Champ is not a good coach. That is a fact. He’s proven it in seven years. If that’s not good enough for you, that’s your business. But don’t tell me what I should do or how to think.
Well obviously someone needs to help you with your thinking. What part of disrespecting players, coaches and everything Carolina is going to help convince better players to come here? You may not agree with where we were 3 years ago but progress has been made. But making wholesale changes in coaches every 3 years will certainly not work, that I can guarantee.

Reactions: PC31
I wasn't there booing but considering how much each fan spent, how loud they got in the first half to get the defense fired up and the offense responding with a big fat goose egg, I can understand some people's frustration with the product. I'm personally irritated with the local press emphasizing the fan's booing instead the coaches and team taking responsibility for an underachieving 3-3 record with plenty of losses still to come-unless a miracle occurs.

Reactions: Carolina86
I wasn't there booing but considering how much each fan spent, how loud they got in the first half to get the defense fired up and the offense responding with a big fat goose egg, I can understand some people's frustration with the product. I'm personally irritated with the local press emphasizing the fan's booing instead the coaches and team taking responsibility for an underachieving 3-3 record with plenty of losses still to come-unless a miracle occurs.
But that would force them to maybe be a little bit *gasp* critical of the product on the field, instead of all sunshine and roses and "wait til next year".

Well if he's going to build a championship team he better start figuring out how to beat Kentucky, A&M and the taters. Otherwise the only championships we will be winning and playing for is the Birmingham Bowl championship.

Reactions: Cockaboossss
Ive listened on and off this wk to 107.5. Ive read a little on this board. I hope and pray that the boo birds arent the majority of USC fans. Ex USC players on 107.5 have said booing is NOT helpful in any way/shape/form to the team or the program. So while i understand people are frustated, look at the big picture.
1. Coach Muschamp is in his 3rd year at USC. He walked into a program left broken by Coach Spurrier. Like it or not, we as USC fans drank the koolaid the last few years of Spurriers tenure. Yes Spurrier did great things initially at USC, but hung it up 3 years or so before he actually left. That is not Muschamps fault.
2. I hear people complaining about "120 years of bad football" at USC. Once again, not Muschamp's fault. He's been here 3 years. Give him time.
3. I hear people throw up how much they spend on tix and that this money gives them the right to boo. 1st of all, buying tix is your choice. If u dont want to spend the money next year, dont. But b an adult at the games.
4. Lastly, if u r a true fan, believe Coach Muschamp when he says he is going to build a championship team in Cola. Support him, support the team, support the recruiting effort. This year is a step back but in the big pic, i believe we r on the right path.
GO COCKS. FOREVER TO THEE
He said the same thing at Florida...how did that work out?

Reactions: ddw1263
I think most are frustrated because it's year 3 and we have a very experienced offense but they don't look polished. Our offense should be carrying our young defense but time and time again the offense puts the defense in a bad spot. Take the A&M game for example, you can NOT have 3 and outs against that team. They lead the SEC in time of possession, that's what they want to do. They don't get in a hurry and you don't have but so many possessions. Another thing fans don't understand, me especially, is how I'm the world do we look so unprepared at the start of games? A game here or there, sure, but week after week? I'm glad our coaches make adjustments but you have to do that as the game goes on because many times by the second half it's too late. We need to script our first possessions better too. You don't need to throw it 50 yards downfield 3 straight downs and waste a possession!

4 different OC’s , all with pretty impressive track records of proven results at other programs ( excluding our current OC), Same HC .... Can’t get it done . Can’t score . FOUR DIFFERENT OC’s !!! I’ll let you guys figure out who’s the problem .

Just another "IMHO" reply here, and after reading many articles from The State, several articles that Shoe has posted here on FGF that are primarily available on The Insiders and quite a few write-ups from other newspapers and websites, and with all of that coupled with my very own experiences as a 51.5 year old University if South Carolina alumnus and lifelong Gamecock in general, I offer the following:

Folks, what we have here can be simply, and quite accurately, referred to as a repetition; albeit such in different mode(s) and procedures.

For clarification, here we are in 2018, albeit within a very, VERY similar overall situation as we were in 2005 - SOS's first season here (well, actually "there" from my current perspective!) as our "Ball Coach".

Now y'all give that a little thought; specifically about our overall position post Coach Holtz's tenure here.

Knock him, negate him as much as you will, but what Lou Holtz did here post the disasterous Brad Scott tenure of failure, what Coach Holtz did and was able to do here was miraculous!! What he (Holtz) left behind post his tenure here, while by no means was perfect, was absolutely wonderful in regards to his display of what is possible here!! By all means review Holtz's time/seasons here. No, he wasn't miraculously perfect. But what he did in regards to cleaning up Scott's residual debris of failure was absolutely wonderful!

What Holtz left behind was a wonderfully fitting challenge for Steven Orr Spurrier! What SOS left behind, while again another situation lacking in potential, is a wonderful challenge in acquiring legendary success to the right "Coach". If given time, then I do believe that Champ can achieve such! The ball is now on his court - lets all give the man time to achieve what WE ALL, as fans and alumni, so desperately desire AND deserve!!!

But ladies and gentlemen, it took SOS time to thoroughly blend his modis operandi into our program; it took time for our program to adjust to SOS's means and methods.

All things considered, here we are in a very similar situation, albeit within its 3rd season!

In conclusion here, folks it's going to take T-I-M-E. Just as we did with SOS, just as sCUm has done with Datboy, and quite similar to what UK has done with Mark Stoops (whom is currently within his 6th season in Lexington), is exactly what we're going to have to do in order to get back to our full potential, and to achieve our hopes and desires!!

Time people. Time. I mean sans us somehow miraculously hiring the likes of Nick Saban and his entire staff, then ladies and gentlemen, its going to take time!! In fact, at least 5 more seasons before Coach Muschamp's interval here can be fairly and completely ascertained and evaluated.

By no means am I saying that his 8th year (remember, we're currently in his 3rd) be the deadline. I do believe that improvement MUST be apparent and clearly obvious during his actual 5th year (i.e. 2020). Rather, I am simply saying it will take at least 5 more years (8 years total) before Muschamp can minimally match, and hopefully excel past SOS's success here!

In conclusion: T-I-M-E. Its going to take time. Improvement must be apparent by 2020, and of course hopefully in 2019. If not, if we're worsening, then adjustment(s) must be made. If progress is apparent and steadily flowing, then by all means shall Champ's ship be allowed to sail!! But we've got to give the man and his means time!! Time AND support!!!

So, having written the above book here, then BOOM!! Y'all now have my humble opinion, so by all means Have At It!!! I guess we'll see what we'll see from here on out; I mean it is what it is, so lets keep rolling, backing our team and players, and lets stay committed as the wonderful fans that the vast majority of you are!! Lets support our team as the clock keeps ticking folks, and there is absolutely NO sense in consistently booing our boys people!! Such makes us appear as if we lack class and integrity!!

Peace 'n out! Y'all feel free to slaughter me now; for I am and always will be, Forever to Thee!!!!

Last edited:
Clemmons won the Atlantic and or the conference and played in a couple of BCS bowls when we were kicking their arse. Watson was the only missing piece imo, I guess a more experienced Watson I should say, and they definitely grew up on the DL. Maybe not NC level, but not 10th in the conference either. I feel pretty confident at least 1-2 of those Gamecock teams could’ve beaten the 15-17 Taters. But anyway, I won’t boo, but people can do what they want to. In my opinion, waiting on Muschamp is waiting for something that isn’t going happen. He may recruit well, but they can’t “coach ‘em up.” We’re seeing that weekly. We aren’t devoid of talent

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT