ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Tanner confirmed back for 2020 along with Muschamp

They are not going to come out and say that he will be fired if asked... Big nothing burger..

I am just as disappointed as everyone else is on the season going South, but my goodness, cut the guy some slack. We have been without our senior starting QB since game 1, the backup QB is a true freshman that has been banged up, and the 3rd string QB has been injured. Also, there were key injuries at RB, WR, and elsewhere. Throw in an incredibly tough schedule and it’s hard to see how any coach we could reasonably have hired over Muschamp would have done better under these circumstances.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Regardless of what is said this was strictly a financial decision and not about staying the course or having faith in the quality of the coaching. We simply cannot afford to do anything this year. PERIOD.

I used to think there were two kinds of posters on FGF: the optimists (sunshine pumpers) and the pessimists (realists). Now, I must add a third: the insane. Giving Muschamp more time is just that; insane. Expecting different results by changing nothing may not be the definition of insanity, but it is close.

Those of us who were skewering Muschamp earlier this season were labeled as taters by many of the pumpers and late adopters.

Seems most sane people have finally realized: tater trolls are posing as pumpers. They want Muschamp and co. here.

You have to be a special kind of ignorant to believe our program is improving.

I am just as disappointed as everyone else is on the season going South, but my goodness, cut the guy some slack. We have been without our senior starting QB since game 1, the backup QB is a true freshman that has been banged up, and the 3rd string QB has been injured. Also, there were key injuries at RB, WR, and elsewhere. Throw in an incredibly tough schedule and it’s hard to see how any coach we could reasonably have hired over Muschamp would have done better under these circumstances.

Win the games you are supposed to. And be competitive in the ones that you aren't.... Excuses are what breeds mediocrity... and that is all we as a football program are... full of excuses as to why we underachieve each year....

Reactions: Elgringo
They are not going to come out and say that he will be fired if asked... Big nothing burger..
I agree, this is not a guarantee Muschamp will be back. If the team quits on him and we have truly embarrassing performances the next two games, things might change. Likewise, upset Clemson and.... ha... never mind.

Those of us who were skewering Muschamp earlier this season were labeled as taters by many of the pumpers and late adopters.

Seems most sane people have finally realized: tater trolls are posing as pumpers. They want Muschamp and co. here.

You have to be a special kind of ignorant to believe our program is improving.

I would say we have more talent at SOME positions than 4 years go. But there are glaring weaknesses at other positions.
  • no depth at WR
  • no depth at RB
  • no one to play deep safety

I agree, this is not a guarantee Muschamp will be back. If the team quits on him and we have truly embarrassing performances the next two games, things might change. Likewise, upset Clemson and.... ha... never mind.

I don't think so. Big losses in our last 2 games are already factored in to this announcement. This is strictly a financial decision.

A new excuse every single year. Muschamp can't score points, here or Florida. The numbers don't lie.

No, no, no! Remember we used 'injuries last year as our go-to excuse.
Wibutt used our Freshman QB as another excuse, Of course he forgot to consider that UNC was an 11 point underdog, with a Freshman QB, playing his first college game ever, under a first year coaching staff. The the REAL fallacy of his statement is made obvious, after Hilinski played, a blind man could see that he should have been the starting QB, and Bently should have been sat down during the UVa game, for Scarnechia, as well as during the UNC debacle.

I don't think so. Big losses in our last 2 games are already factored in to this announcement. This is strictly a financial decision.

I'm talking about more than just a loss by a lot of points, I'm talking about a breakdown that makes it almost impossible to bring the coach back. Granted, it's unlikely, but the season isn't over until it is over. Thank goodness this one is almost over.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
The sensible thing is to fire Tanner and focus on making a great AD hire, and then let him deal with Muschamp during / after the 2020 season.

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record on this, but I truly believe that is the best approach.

We can hope that is what the administration is planning to do.

Meanwhile, pump unicorn farts into the media.

I’m a troll because I want the Gamecocks to win but I don’t think a knee-jerk reaction like firing Muschamp is the answer? Can we not disagree on how to improve the program without calling each other trolls?
This is year four, not "knee jerk."

As for the pearl clutching about being called a troll - you are a new poster that came on to stir the pot. The shoe fits.

The sensible thing is to fire Tanner and focus on making a great AD hire, and then let him deal with Muschamp during / after the 2020 season.

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record on this, but I truly believe that is the best approach.

Agreed. Tanner can't be trusted with another hire.

Reactions: howard13

That is the most sensible thing to do ... that's why we won't do it. The University is part of the good ole boy network. There's too much back slapping and self-congratulatory "we are masters of the universe" going on for that to happen. The program is run by politicians and rich people who don't give a crap about the average fan or about winning. It's about who they can share their air conditioned box seat with while they watch the "other" team play. That's why they propose to build more luxury seats instead of up-grading the concessions or the bathrooms for the rest of us.

Great News...

1) For all Sec opponents
2) For all Clemson coaches, players and fans
3) For all ACC teams who end up playing us during the season and in Bowl games

BINGO !!!

Its time to revolt against the board of trustees!!
Plain and simple!! No more money, period!! No more fan support, period! Enough of the fanbase has had it with bad sports teams since Tanner has been here. WE need to organize an active boycott now!

Tanner has been either the AD or coach for the greatest moments for each of the 4 major sports teams. Back to back CWS wins in baseball? Head coach Tanner. WBB national champions? AD Tanner. MBB Final Four? AD Tanner. And our biggest upset ever in football (over UGA just a few weeks ago) - Tanner still the AD. So how is Ray Tanner so bad?

I think this is Champ himself on our board! Name fits and all

Reactions: gamecockballfan
Tanner has been either the AD or coach for the greatest moments for each of the 4 major sports teams. Back to back CWS wins in baseball? Head coach Tanner. WBB national champions? AD Tanner. MBB Final Four? AD Tanner. And our biggest upset ever in football (over UGA just a few weeks ago) - Tanner still the AD. So how is Ray Tanner so bad?
He had nothing to do with either BB programs. If anything he’s probably hindered the Men’s program.

Also beating Bama will always be the biggest upset in school history but just like the win over Bama a we followed up that win over Georgia with a heaping helping of disappointment.

I wont even respond with an answer to this dumbass post. You are probably 14 years old.

I wouldn't expect them to say any different if they weren't willing to pull the trigger right now. That's all I'm going to read in to it.

I would say we have more talent at SOME positions than 4 years go. But there are glaring weaknesses at other positions.
  • no depth at WR
  • no depth at RB
  • no one to play deep safety
More importantly there is no sign of competition at any position. As in... Oh wait , if I play like sh*t someone will take my spot. That’s what we had under Spurrier and we overcame many injuries.

Win the games you are supposed to. And be competitive in the ones that you aren't.... Excuses are what breeds mediocrity... and that is all we as a football program are... full of excuses as to why we underachieve each year....
I never like that mantra or mentality, we’re supposed to win every game.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
Tiger Guy here:

This announcement pleases me.

I'd predict a 6-6 season next year and a fairwell to Tanner after the season. THEN Champ gets ANOTHER year while the new AD ,evaluates Boomboom. Coaching search will start in Early 2022.

Tiger Guy here:

I'd predict a 6-6 season next year and a fairwell to Tanner after the season. THEN Champ gets ANOTHER year while the new AD ,evaluates Boomboom. Coaching search will start in Early 2022.
I hear you. But Ray doesn't have to "retire" in coordination with football season. He could retire before or during the 2020 season, which would strip Champ naked of job security.

Reactions: hopefultiger19
I feel like our BOT is made up of Clemson, Florida, UGA and Tennessee alumni. App St will probably represent us now along with A&M and Arky. Who is making the decisions for this university. Would be the same if Putin was our president.

Tiger Guy here:

I don't see the next AD appointed being a wishywashy to the point of using a year to evaluate type person. No, 6-6 or not, someone is gonna come in blazing.

Reactions: hopefultiger19
The fact they had to put this out before the end of the season speaks volume. This is present moment damage control. Means absolutely nothing.

If the right replacement candidate were to emerge after the season is over, they would likely consider swallowing the 18mil buyout. Otherwise, they'll likely give him another year, see what transpires and let that buyout simmer while they quietly search for a good fit.

Thanks again, Ray.

The problem with not replacing Tanner and Muschamp is, what has either guy ever done to convince you that they know how to fix their problems?
Tanner? Don't get me started on his mediocre adventures as an AD. And I only say mediocre because of the success of non-revenue sports that pretty much only parents of players care about.
Muschamp? This part is ridiculous, to me. At Florida, he hired 3 OCs and none of them worked out...then he re-hired one of them when he got to Columbia. When that brilliant move didn't work, he replaced him with a WR coach who had never been an OC before, because he was scared he'd leave for Georiga. McClendon's unit is the weakest on the offensive side of the ball, his powerful recruiting couldn't even convince his own family member to come to Columbia, and his offense has flat out stunk against FBS opponents since the Clemson game last year.
Follow that up with all of the injury problems Muschamp had at Florida while Jeff Dilman was S&C coach. So, what does Muschamp do here? He hires the same guy who contributed to his demise in Gainesville. Now, this is the 2nd straight year we've seen a side of the ball decimated by injury.
Muschamp clearly has no idea how to make important staffing decisions.

Reactions: Cocky 45
All those are legitimate reasons to support the Muschamp and Tanner IF and that's a big IF, we were losing hard fought close games against the middle to upper level SEC teams. Teams like Florida, aTm, UGA, (who we somehow upset), Missouri, etc. But when we lose to UNC with a freshman QB and a first year coaching staff; or get totally embarrassed by a 2-5 Tennessee team that lost to Georgia State AND an Appalachian State team that although they are a good team for their class, shouldn't be a problem for any SEC team, those excuses absolutely don't work. A tough schedule has nothing to do with our disappointment with this team. I think all of us somewhat expected to have a somewhat poor record this year. I myself expected us to lose to UGA, Bama, Clemson, and possibly aTm and Florida. But I Also expected us to beat UNC, Tennessee, Appalachian State, and truthfully I would have considered aTm, Florida and maybe Missouri tossups. But not only are we losing the games we are expected to but we're losing to teams that we should not. And on top of all that is how poorly prepared and motivated we look. From start to finish Appalachian looked better than us. They literally man handled us. No one on their roster would start for us even with our injury situation. And that lies squarely at the feet of the coaching staff. So after 4 years of Muschamp we're no better than we were when he arrived. All we've done is swapped the Citadel for Appalachian State. So no, your excuses don't hold water. And yes, I do believe someone else would have done better instead of him.

Reactions: aceman39
6-6? Riiiiggghhht.

Something wrong with that?

I have you down with the following:

UF, UGA, Clemson, A&M, and LSU as probable losses.

Tenn, Mizzou, and Ky as tossups.

Vandy, Coastal, ECU, and Woffard and probable wins.

I figure the chances of winning one you shouldn't will balance out a WTF game (see this year App State (and UNC I suppose) canceling out the UGA win).

Mizzou will be worse you have them at home and I think you win at KY. I'd give the advantage to Tenn even though they will come to WB.

That's 6-6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT