ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits that flip

USCMBA77

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
When recruits flip they often say "after discussing this with my family" as an excuse. Don't these kids families ever tell them they need to honor their commitments.

There is nothing they will say that will make it easier. Save everyone the time and effort and just say, "I switched to FSU, sorry South Carolina {mic drop....exit left}".

giphy.gif

Last edited:
When recruits flip they often say "after discussing this with my family" as an excuse. Don't these kids families ever tell them they need to honor their commitments.

If you had a kid who was engaged but decided they didn't want to get married would you force them to "stick with their commitment"? Its a big decision and you are allowed to change your mind until pen meets paper.

If you had a kid who was engaged but decided they didn't want to get married would you force them to "stick with their commitment"? Its a big decision and you are allowed to change your mind until pen meets paper.
No I would not force the marriage but I would not say ok son, u have the right to change your mind baby.

Reactions: atl-cock
While I agree that standing firm on a commitment is an honorable thing to do, you have to realize that once a kid enrolls, he is "stuck' there for the foreseeable future. If it's the wrong decision, he can't transfer mid-season. often must sit out another year and will potentially be in his 3rd year of eligibility before he lands at the new school, eligible to suit up and play.
I often think that the "commitment" thing is more for planning for the school rather than any benefit for the player. Maybe we shouldn't have kids "commit" and just have them sign when the time comes. Much less drama and we would actually have something official rather than something equivalent to a middle school promise ring.

Today a commitment means you are the leader at this time. Everyone might as well wait for signing day as team changes are happening more than ever. Several of our current commitments are saying they will still make their final choice on signing day. Even the most recent DL said this just the other day. There really does need to be a better system that works as well for the school as it does for the recruit. Coaches need to be able to plan also. Some kids miss out on a spot with a major school because another has pledged to that school only to back out at the last minute. That other player now has signed with a smaller school who will not give the same level of opportunity. This system really only benefits the top players. JMHO

I am willing to wager that more than half of these kids can not spell commitment .... or tell you what state it's in.

Reactions: idohvac2
Kids are like coaches, they commit to something until a better offer comes along. Coaches jump ship when a better opportunity comes so why would anyone hold it against a teenager for going with what they perceive as a better situation for themselves. Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, FSU, Michigan, etc are tough to go against in recruiting battles head to head with their tradition and success unless the kid grew up a fan or is in state or some other connection. Going to lose the recruiting battle with those schools 9 out of 10 times. To get to that point often times you have to go and get the 3 star that develops and overachieves to get some success to really start getting the 4 and 5 star guys.

Then tell the coaches they can't ever leave a stepping stone job to a job at a bigger school so they can honor their committements too. It works both ways. The bottom line nothing is etched in stone until signing day. We have guys the decommit late in the process too.

I hate losing kids, but we don't want someone that isn't fully invested. You also have to understand that it's a big decision for a high school kid. How many kids in High School found their love of their life? Only to find out how far from the truth it was....

I went to a college only because of an opportunity to place soccer. After my sophomore year I transferred to USC. I wish I had so called "decommited" and started at USC from the start.

A commitment is just a "promise ring" that says "I like you" but am still free to look around.

Signing a LOI is the contract.

There is a lot of pressure on these kids....but ultimately it is their decision that may affect the rest of their lives.

What you really also should think about re "fairness", is that a program that accepts a verbal commitment is not bound to actually follow through. Although it does not happen that often, some programs certainly have "backed off" recruits who had previously committed.

A commitment is really someone saying.."I like your program" and the program saying.."well we like you too."

From the NCAA:

This phrase is used to describe a college-bound student-athlete's commitment to a school before he or she signs (or is able to sign) a National Letter of Intent. A college-bound student-athlete can announce a verbal commitment at any time. While verbal commitments have become very popular for both college-bound student-athletes and coaches, this "commitment" is NOT binding on either the college-bound student-athlete or the college or university. Only the signing of the National Letter of Intent accompanied by a financial aid agreement is binding on both parties.

I personally like the type of guys Muschamp is going after. Look at Edwards this year. He gets guys that want to play ball, and continues to build up instate relationships. The recruiting has improved and will improve.

As a Clemson fan some can argue we are too big for our own good. It now comes to a point where there a certain players that are ignored. We essentially turned our back on the state for SC. This is the same thing that happened when y'all went on that 5-0 run.

I totally understand why these flips leave a bitter taste in the mouths of fans. If you were really committed, you wouldn't keep taking visits and considering other schools. That said, no one will have a problem with it when recruits who were committed elsewhere flip to USC, which also happens just about every year. Naturally, those flips are celebrated while the ones that USC loses are criticized. But, it goes both ways.

A commitment is just a "promise ring" that says "I like you" but am still free to look around.

Signing a LOI is the contract.

There is a lot of pressure on these kids....but ultimately it is their decision that may affect the rest of their lives.

What you really also should think about re "fairness", is that a program that accepts a verbal commitment is not bound to actually follow through. Although it does not happen that often, some programs certainly have "backed off" recruits who had previously committed.

A commitment is really someone saying.."I like your program" and the program saying.."well we like you too."

From the NCAA:

This phrase is used to describe a college-bound student-athlete's commitment to a school before he or she signs (or is able to sign) a National Letter of Intent. A college-bound student-athlete can announce a verbal commitment at any time. While verbal commitments have become very popular for both college-bound student-athletes and coaches, this "commitment" is NOT binding on either the college-bound student-athlete or the college or university. Only the signing of the National Letter of Intent accompanied by a financial aid agreement is binding on both parties.
The term commitment is being misused these days. If an athlete has committed to a school, then there's no need to visit other schools. If you're not ready to commit, simply state that "USC is my current favorite, but I'm still looking around."

I can accept a flip if it comes earlier in the process, but doing it 2 weeks before signing day really hurts a program. It's hard to fill the void that late.

They need an early signing period. That gives a recruit the opportunity to tangibly commit.

No, that is why there is no need for an early signing period, in fact recruiting and getting verbal commitments starts entirely too early. Asking kids at such a young age to make such monumental decisions that way way way way too many people talk about and care about is the problem. A 15 year old Soph makes a commit to a certain school and then two years later decides to rethink is early decision shouldn't be scrutinized by thousands of people on internet chat boards, twitter, etc etc. Let kids be kids, Stop gray shirting, stop early recruiting, we are demanding these kids make adult decisions at way to young an age

Guys this is why it's not smart to jump up and down with excitement over recruiting classes or rankings UNTIL the end of signing day or better yet until they actually arrive on campus and touch the practice field . Commitments in the fall and earlier mean NOTHING . These are 17 and 18 year old Kids . Anything can sway their opinion. . Had a buddy who was commited to FSU since JR year of high school ; he hooked up with some cute sorority girl on his last official visit to UF in Gainesville and flipped to the Gators the next day . Until the fish is in the boat he isn't caught even it was committed to taking the bait .

I can accept a flip if it comes earlier in the process, but doing it 2 weeks before signing day really hurts a program. It's hard to fill the void that late.
THIS
Plus u just left last weekend say committed.
We need early signing that allows students to opt out if the HC leaves prior to enrolling.

Kids are like coaches, they commit to something until a better offer comes along. Coaches jump ship when a better opportunity comes so why would anyone hold it against a teenager for going with what they perceive as a better situation for themselves. Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, FSU, Michigan, etc are tough to go against in recruiting battles head to head with their tradition and success unless the kid grew up a fan or is in state or some other connection. Going to lose the recruiting battle with those schools 9 out of 10 times. To get to that point often times you have to go and get the 3 star that develops and overachieves to get some success to really start getting the 4 and 5 star guys.
Ban this poster! Common sense is not allowed within this discussion forum.

That's why we need an early commitment period, so once you're in, you're in. That way you take a commitment serious and no shopping around and schools stealing players at the last minute with a little cash or parent incentives.

No more troublesome than coaches telling 17 yr olds its okay to dishonor your word...The parents and coaches are setting bad examples for these kids...Just don't commit until you are 100% certain...But when you do, other coaches should leave you alone and parents should have the wisdom to tell other coaches no thank you on in home visits...Fortunately most kids do honor their word...But the alarming practice on both the side of parents and coaches is disconcerting to say the least

On a personal level, I totally agree with this. It really puts certain programs out to dry, late in the game. It's do or die, at this point. But college football is big business. It's cutthroat, unfair and most of the time the rich get richer.

No different than marriage. I bet there are some divorcees (by their own doing) on the board that are suggesting these young men honor their commitment. Hypocritical.

I get the flip but when you are committed since August, it's just not right to flip 10 days out. Really screws the team over.

It sucks that he left us high and dry, but let's play devils advocate with your child. Would if your son committed to So. Miss and was happy to have that offer. But he blew up in shrine bowl week and bigger names came calling that had not been there before. Such as FSU, Bama, or Florida. Would you not let him go to the bigger school or better football school? I certainly would. FSU is just better right now. We will get there but we need to win consistently in the very near future.

It sucks that he left us high and dry, but let's play devils advocate with your child. Would if your son committed to So. Miss and was happy to have that offer. But he blew up in shrine bowl week and bigger names came calling that had not been there before. Such as FSU, Bama, or Florida. Would you not let him go to the bigger school or better football school? I certainly would. FSU is just better right now. We will get there but we need to win consistently in the very near future.
I would caution him against committing. State that Hattiesburg is my current favorite, but I'm still open.

Of course, if USM has a particular academic program of interest that's held in high regard, that can play into the decision. UK is supposed to have a good Pharmacy program.

I wish these kids would stop saying after talking to my parents and praying, blah blah blah. Do they really think people are gonna believe they are just now getting around to asking what theire parents think? Or do really they really wake up and think to thekselves, perhaps i should actually pray on this, after all ive only been commited for 5 months, dont wanna jump the gun and say something to early

I was always taught a man is only as good as his word. If someone committs, they should shut down recruiting and some do but then you have those that love attention.

My take is that signing a LOI is the equivalent of the old indenture system. People make good choices, bad choices, and sometimes desperate choices.

If you are going to commit your life to something (Uncle Sam, College, football, a Mission to the Philippines, a Job in Oklahoma. or whatever), you better make damn sure that you are making the right choice before you sign on the dotted line.

Last edited:
Reactions: viennacocks
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT