ADVERTISEMENT

S Columbia PA 15. Hammond 0.

I saw Clowney, Xavier Thomas, Zacch Pickens and Shaq Lawson play HS ball. Burch has a lot of work to do. I know it's only one game. But he has been very mediocre. Whenever you saw the four I mentioned greatness would shock you several times each game.

I saw Clowney, Xavier Thomas, Zacch Pickens and Shaq Lawson play HS ball. Burch has a lot of work to do. I know it's only one game. But he has been very mediocre. Whenever you saw the four I mentioned greatness would shock you several times each game.

Yeah, he’s been somewhat underwhelming in the limited time I’ve been watching. That may be attributed to them being down by 29 when I started watching.
Fleming looks good.

Reactions: lawcalcock
As a rule, in this area, private high school football is pretty much a joke when compared to anything above middle of the pack 2A ball. Hammond is a great example. Seems like the private landing spot in Columbia for some recruited athletes, but at the same time not sure how much they are helping their progression playing against their usual level of competition.

These kids who leave their hometowns to join these all star type “academy’s” really do miss out on the experience that comes with playing with the guys you grew up with. To each their own I guess.

These kids who leave their hometowns to join these all star type “academy’s” really do miss out on the experience that comes with playing with the guys you grew up with. To each their own I guess.
I agree and I'm not trying to change the subject. But would you say the same thing for players who skip bowl games like Deebo?

It's just not a high level of football and the fact some out there think Hammond is a top 10 program in this state is a joke. Hammond would get run off the field by Abbeville in AA. They couldnt come close to beating bad 5A teams like Lugoff
Very few teams in SC below AAAAA can hang with Abbeville consistently. Our Hartsville team has played them twice recently at a neutral site (Newberry College) and frankly, we were fortunate to split the two games.

Hammond would get drug by Hartsville also. I'd say any #1 seed from a 2A region would have little trouble with them. But in reality, ESPN's coverage had very little to do with Hammond, or highlighting either program. Just about all of their high school broadcasts are about showcasing prospects of their previous ESPN 300 list.

Not trying to be overly critical but I just went back.and watched the game.No way Burch is the #1 player in the country.Looked pretty damn soft to me.Single blocked alot and did nothing except block one pass.Its one game but you can tell his motor isn't that great.

Not trying to be overly critical but I just went back.and watched the game.No way Burch is the #1 player in the country.Looked pretty damn soft to me.Single blocked alot and did nothing except block one pass.Its one game but you can tell his motor isn't that great.
This is concerning. It may be that if we miss on him, it won't be as big a loss as we thought.

Just like a baby IMG.I think Huntleys parents are pretty well off financially.The others get scholarships.

Best thing about that game was listening to Mike Morgan doing play-by-play football! Not a Todd Ellis basher, I like Todd. But Mike is excellent at calling all 3 sports. Oh well.
A mistake of seismic proportions. And the person who made it still has ties to the program.

Just shows you how really bad SCISSA is in SC. Hammond might be able to compete in AA in SC. Yes, they have a few D1 guys, but the rest of their guys would never see the day for even average AAAAA schooms

Nailed it!

It's just not a high level of football and the fact some out there think Hammond is a top 10 program in this state is a joke. Hammond would get run off the field by Abbeville in AA. They couldnt come close to beating bad 5A teams like Lugoff

Precisely!

He threw 5 INTs and his team never scored.

What was the final score?

How does Hammond manage to get these great athletes in private school when it's over 15k a year to attend high school

54ba4e56-9a07-4ce5-83f6-0bada4bd5549_text_hi.gif

This wasn't even close. I felt bad for Muschamp Jr. Burch and Huntley were not what I expected to see. They will score 80 on Ben Lippen this week. Everyone can use a good humbling from time to time.

The good part is he will probably drop into our hands now. Not sure the other schools will care about him now, based on yesterday.
I almost want to think a coach recruiting Burch, talked him into "taking the day off". I don't feel that is possible though. He was not the same kid that I saw in combine videos. He has alot more speed, quickness and ability; that we did not see Sunday.
For us, he is a "take"; we need all the quality DLs we can get. For the other schools maybe not.
$$$ - Private schools use to provide some Athletic/Academic scholarships in 80s, 90s and early 2000s, I don't know if this is still true.
For those bothered by "possible wasted time" over an inferior FB player, it would be really nice to know "if USC placed him" at Hammond. Or suggested it. For us to be so dependent on getting Burch and losing out on other DLs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garnetskies
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT