ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles pulls out of the team competition. It's unknown at this point if she will compete in the individual events.

Unfortunately it's fairly common for gymnasts to get injured or paralyzed. The vault she did was a bail out, not even what she was trying to compete with that gave her the lowest score in the about 10 years. This isn't the sport that you can autopilot with, unfortunately many young people over the years like the lady in the article wish she had made a similar decision. I rather the headline be Simone Biles drops out of the Olympics competition over Simone Biles possibly paralyzed from the neck down.
It’s fairly common for gymnasts to get injured-ankle sprains, wrist sprains, ACLs, cuts and bruises.

It is NOT common for gymnasts to be paralyzed. You got a stat on that. I’d love to hear it.

Statistically she had a better chance of getting struck by lightning on the way to the arena or her plane crashing on the way to Tokyo. You know it and I know it.

Reactions: bflogger28
It’s fairly common for gymnasts to get injured-ankle sprains, wrist sprains, ACLs, cuts and bruises.

It is NOT common for gymnasts to be paralyzed. You got a stat on that. I’d love to hear it.

Statistically she had a better chance of getting struck by lightning on the way to the arena or her plane crashing on the way to Tokyo. You know it and I know it.
Here is a good research study regarding type and general severity of gymnast injuries. More are considered Major than I would have guessed.

The BBC had an article regarding the "twisties" and mentioned two who had severe injuries as a result...one a broken spine and another who had a broken neck.

Bird is right there. Played in the Olympics with a back so bad he couldn’t sit. But he captained the team, PLAYED IT OUT, and won the gold.

Here is a good research study regarding type and general severity of gymnast injuries. More are considered Major than I would have guessed.

The BBC had an article regarding the "twisties" and mentioned two who had severe injuries as a result...one a broken spine and another who had a broken neck.
Twisties has to be a horrifying phenomenon. Logically, it's hard to imagine how any of those people doing flips in the air have situational awareness in flight.
This could happen to any performer...and may explain some tragic accidents.

My bad...maybe you have trained 14 hours a day for 4 years to do a 2 minute routine/race. My apologies
I have not and I’m willing to bet she did not either…think about 14 hrs a day for 4 years actually totals out to not much time to sleep with training and ALL THOSE ENDORSEMENT COMMERCIALS. Think b4 posting.

I have not and I’m willing to bet she did not either…think about 14 hrs a day for 4 years actually totals out to not much time to sleep with training and ALL THOSE ENDORSEMENT COMMERCIALS. Think b4 posting.
My bad...some have been training for 8 to 10 years to get to this position. You think the elite athletics just woke up one morning and said "Hey. I think I'll go to the Olympics".

My bad...some have been training for 8 to 10 years to get to this position. You think the elite athletics just woke up one morning and said "Hey. I think I'll go to the Olympics".
No, those old Olympian’s trained for 25 hrs a day for 8-10 yrs….thought you already knew that.

So after reading this I stand behind my statement. From the article it clearly states that women were many more times likely to sustain a lower extremity injury (ankle, leg, etc…).

All this “she could have broke her neck” talk is being a drama queen. Could anyone on this board name one gymnast that got paralyzed without looking it up? And how often does it occur?

Greg Louganis could have suffered a severe injury when he hit his head on the diving board. He got stitched up and got back up there and competed.

This is the most glorified I quit of all time.

People want her to be crowned the greatest ever whether she deserves it or not.

At the end of the day, she was a very good athlete.

Some of you are so stupid. "GOAT" literally means "Greatest of all Time". That means, there is one person who occupies that spot in any category. It cannot be objectively argued that anyone is greater than Biles, even if you call her a quitter.

Tom Brady's name is getting bandied about as a real "GOAT" for football. It objectively cannot be argued. If you want to apply arbitrary morality about quitting, what about cheating? Brady and the Patriots were found to have cheated TWICE, does that not matter to you?

Reactions: rogue cock
Maybe Simone should have taken this and when she gets drug tested, she can throw the box at the Olympic Committee.

shopping

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
Only two GOATS, IMO. Jordan and Earnhardt. Two old boys from North Carolina. The rest are pretenders.

Ok. Pile on, now.

I could agree with those two.

By the way, does everyone remember when Jordan quit for two years for mental reasons?

So after reading this I stand behind my statement. From the article it clearly states that women were many more times likely to sustain a lower extremity injury (ankle, leg, etc…).

All this “she could have broke her neck” talk is being a drama queen. Could anyone on this board name one gymnast that got paralyzed without looking it up? And how often does it occur?

Greg Louganis could have suffered a severe injury when he hit his head on the diving board. He got stitched up and got back up there and competed.

This is the most glorified I quit of all time.
Yes, serious injuries are quite common in gymnastics, which is one of the reasons why their careers are so short. Yes, paralysis aren't that frequent but it's frequent enough to be a real concern. On a good day most of Biles routines could lead to a serious injury but especially if she's gets lost in the air and can't tell up from down.

I don't know the names of the people I heard about that got paralyzed off the top of my head because it's not essential information and they aren't usually one of the few household names of gymnastics, but I definitely heard about the this young woman Elena Mukhina who unfortunately had this fate some years ago. I also remember a college gymnast dying doing a bar routine last year and at least a couple times a year you might her a story of some teenager or so who had incident trying practice a move ending badly and none of these people we're likely not doing anything as difficult as what she's doing.

I think I'll listen to the gymnasts who have done this as career who state how dangerous it is to perform with the Twisties than some random internet guy who says it's overblown just because you personally don't think it's dangerous.

You discounted spacial disorientation as some made up issue. Just so you realize it is not made up, try what I suggested. Go fly a plane not knowing how to read instruments in conditions where you have no visual references....let us know how that goes for you.
That's what happened to John F. Kennedy Jr when he crashed in 1998 while piloting his wife and sister in law to a wedding.

Yes, serious injuries are quite common in gymnastics, which is one of the reasons why their careers are so short. Yes, paralysis aren't that frequent but it's frequent enough to be a real concern. On a good day most of Biles routines could lead to a serious injury but especially if she's gets lost in the air and can't tell up from down.

I don't know the names of the people I heard about that got paralyzed off the top of my head because it's not essential information and they aren't usually one of the few household names of gymnastics, but I definitely heard about the this young woman Elena Mukhina who unfortunately had this fate some years ago. I also remember a college gymnast dying doing a bar routine last year and at least a couple times a year you might her a story of some teenager or so who had incident trying practice a move ending badly and none of these people we're likely not doing anything as difficult as what she's doing.

I think I'll listen to the gymnasts who have done this as career who state how dangerous it is to perform with the Twisties than some random internet guy who says it's overblown just because you personally don't think it's dangerous.
Listen to whomever you want. You know why no gymnast is going to say anything other than support….bc they’d be crucified in the media for it. That’s why.

There’s danger in anything you do. Riding a bike, driving a car, taking a swim, walking down the street, etc….

Listen to whomever you want. You know why no gymnast is going to say anything other than support….bc they’d be crucified in the media for it. That’s why.

There’s danger in anything you do. Riding a bike, driving a car, taking a swim, walking down the street, etc….
Don't apply your sensibilities to others. A thief always assumes everyone else is or would be a thief.

This is playing out like a PR failure by the coach and support staff. Simone went public with a self-diagnosis of mental health and “mindfulness”, then later describes symptoms of vertigo and refers to it as the twisties, which it may or may not be.

Reactions: cockofdawn
This is playing out like a PR failure by the coach and support staff. Simone went public with a self-diagnosis of mental health and “mindfulness”, then later describes symptoms of vertigo and refers to it as the twisties, which it may or may not be.
Definitely. If she said she had vertigo, no one would be questioning her motive for quitting.

Vertigo and the "twisties" are both forms of spacial disorientation. Vertigo is the most common form.

FAA, NASA, USAF and USN have a lot of research papers on this issue...some of which can be found online.

Definitely. If she said she had vertigo, no one would be questioning her motive for quitting.
Yea...someone got their wires crossed. It played out like some kind of lack of mental toughness, while it actually is some kind of potentially dangerous spatial disorientation disorder.

Maybe the media is more at fault for this since women's mental health is a hot topic for them.

Vertigo and the "twisties" are both forms of spacial disorientation. Vertigo is the most common form.

FAA, NASA, USAF and USN have a lot of research papers on this issue...some of which can be found online.
But, but, but....I don't see how any of that would make a difference with someone doing this. 😎

giphy.gif

i am sure Biles did not have a clue how much pressure would be on her, I empathize with that, however she should not have quit.
I equate it to this...a baseball team pays millions for a closer. The closer is in a game and for some reason can't throw strikes. Do you leave him in because you paid him millions or do you pull him and try to win the game? Me thinks you pull him to win the game...

But, but, but....I don't see how any of that would make a difference with someone doing this. 😎

giphy.gif
If she dropped out because of what's being described in this thread, she did what any rational person would do. It was portrayed in the media as heroic. It wasn't any more heroic than dropping out for a broken leg.

Reactions: paladin181
If she dropped out because of what's being described in this thread, she did what any rational person would do. It was portrayed in the media as heroic. It wasn't any more heroic than dropping out for a broken leg.
I wouldn't call it heroic...I call it doing what's best for the team. Apparently it worked because they got gold in the all around.

ADVERTISEMENT