ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles pulls out of the team competition. It's unknown at this point if she will compete in the individual events.

I equate it to this...a baseball team pays millions for a closer. The closer is in a game and for some reason can't throw strikes. Do you leave him in because you paid him millions or do you pull him and try to win the game? Me thinks you pull him to win the game...
If the million dollar closer walks off the field without the manager going out to the mound is a better comparison.

Reactions: bflogger28
This isn't true. Their bodies wouldn't be able to take that. Most train fewer hours that normal people work in a week.
There is more to training then the physical part. A lot athletes are now into the mental part of training...yoga, acupuncture, diet...etc. I'm pretty sure their not sitting around playing playstation during the day.

Who's to say her coach didn't have any input in her decision? I'm sure as time goes on more info will come out in this situation.
Again, no coach is going out on that limb and saying anything publicly other than supportive of their decision, even if they think differently in private.

This was her call. And that’s ok. It’s ok to quit if you’re just not at your best. It’s just not ok to do it in the name of mindfulness, self help and mental health if the real reason is you just can’t do it any more.

Reactions: uscg1984
Again, no coach is going out on that limb and saying anything publicly other than supportive of their decision, even if they think differently in private.

This was her call. And that’s ok. It’s ok to quit if you’re just not at your best. It’s just not ok to do it in the name of mindfulness, self help and mental health if the real reason is you just can’t do it any more.
I somewhat agree with your last paragraph...although I find it hard to believe she would use mental health as an excuse. Sometimes your mind just quits and there is nothing you can do about it. My mind quit years ago...<g>

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
There is more to training then the physical part. A lot athletes are now into the mental part of training...yoga, acupuncture, diet...etc. I'm pretty sure their not sitting around playing playstation during the day.

I didn't say that was just the physical part. "Train" usually includes everything. Actual gym time is part of that.

And most people aren't sitting around playing playstation during the day. I know a lot of people that work 60 to 70 hours a week. Just because they are an Olympic athlete doesn't mean they work harder than everyone else. They just focus they work on something different than everyone else.

This is playing out like a PR failure by the coach and support staff. Simone went public with a self-diagnosis of mental health and “mindfulness”, then later describes symptoms of vertigo and refers to it as the twisties, which it may or may not be.

Yeah it’s funny how it took 4 days for this ‘twisties’ BS to be put forth. If that is a well-known thing that happens to gymnasts and the real reason she quit, wouldn’t she have said that initially ? It smells like a rat.

She is without a doubt one of the greatest of all time, as has been mentioned here. Legacies, tho, are often tied to how tough you are in the moment. And, if she felt that it affected her to the point of seriously injuring herself, I am absolutely glad that withdrew rather than risking injury. But mental toughness is part of it, no matter how athletic one is.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” - Mike Tyson

I somewhat agree with your last paragraph...although I find it hard to believe she would use mental health as an excuse. Sometimes your mind just quits and there is nothing you can do about it. My mind quit years ago...<g>

Mental health as an excuse? You've been fortunate not to have mental health issues then. They can come out of nowhere and you can lose total control.

Have you ever had acute back pain or the like that makes you feel like you want to die? Imagine that going on in your brain.

We also now know that trauma in one lifetime can pass done for up to 3 generations. {Holocaust survivor studies} So you can have trauma trapped in your subconscious from issues your grandparents faced.

This is why you're seeing so many go to psychedelics - to unlock the subconscious. If you look at the Johns Hopkins studies, sometimes it only takes one dose to free yourself forever.

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
Not at all it’s not made up, as rogue has stated it’s well documented.
It's well documented that when you are in mid air doing twists and flips that you could possibly get disoriented? Well duh. That's pretty much common sense. Sounds dangerous, definitely a reason to quit once you really realize how dangerous it is. I hated my daughter doing gymnastics, too dangerous in general. So because of that scary situation, she decided to quit because she realizes there's a lot more to life, and she's rich.

Mental health as an excuse? You've been fortunate not to have mental health issues then. They can come out of nowhere and you can lose total control.

Have you ever had acute back pain or the like that makes you feel like you want to die? Imagine that going on in your brain.

We also now know that trauma in one lifetime can pass done for up to 3 generations. {Holocaust survivor studies} So you can have trauma trapped in your subconscious from issues your grandparents faced.

This is why you're seeing so many go to psychedelics - to unlock the subconscious. If you look at the Johns Hopkins studies, sometimes it only takes one dose to free yourself forever.
Bahaha 😂, 3 generations, someone is bull shitting the results on some testing. So you're saying I like to save money because my one grandfather had it rough at times? Or that my grandfather was in the Navy and probably dealt with bad things in WWII? So my issues are because of them? Haha I deal with anxiety in many ways, as do a very large portion of humans, but some "suck it up" better than others.
And I'm not talking about Ms Biles. Just in general.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
aW1T8.jpg

Reactions: cockofdawn
Latest report is that she is on Ritalin, but it is illegal in Japan, so she had to leave it home. She was having withdrawal symptoms.

Bahaha 😂, 3 generations, someone is bull shitting the results on some testing. So you're saying I like to save money because my one grandfather had it rough at times? Or that my grandfather was in the Navy and probably dealt with bad things in WWII? So my issues are because of them? Haha I deal with anxiety in many ways, as do a very large portion of humans, but some "suck it up" better than others.

My grandma got out of Germany as a Jew before WW2. She’s in her late 80s and mean as a firecracker. She’d tell me I’m full of $hit for saying I have trauma passed down from her.

Check out the Johns Hopkins research (as well as many other institutions) for the past 30 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgenerational_trauma

Will you pass the shrooms my way?

Yeah it’s funny how it took 4 days for this ‘twisties’ BS to be put forth. If that is a well-known thing that happens to gymnasts and the real reason she quit, wouldn’t she have said that initially ? It smells like a rat.
I am just wondering if she return's her endorsement money or donates it ? Went into Food Lion the other day and had her poster board all over the store

Reactions: cockofdawn
Intense mental stress and strain has always been a huge part of elite sports. Perhaps it is the primary separator between the champions and the runner ups. It's what makes field goal kickers miss chip-shots that would have won the game, what makes 3rd round leaders collapse on Sunday at a major, and what makes a MLB closer suddenly unable to find the strike zone. You can call it "mental health" if you want to, but the simple fact is there are those who deal with it successfully and those who don't and that's what often separates the winners from everybody else.

When I think of "mental health" in elite sports, I think of the effects of the long-term daily-grind of training and competing. I think such long-term stress is a valid reason to step away from the game, either permanently or temporarily. I suspect Urban Meyer would agree. But Urban Meyer didn't step away at half-time of the national championship game. He didn't wait until he was at the defining moment of his career, the goal that he had worked toward all those years. That's what doesn't make sense to me about Biles' withdrawal from the Olympics for mental health reasons. If she needed some mental health relief from the sport, I don't see how she will get that by stepping down in the middle of the Olympics. It seems more likely to me that something like this could haunt her the rest of her life.

Kurt Angle broke his neck in Olympic wrestling qualifying. He competed and won a gold medal wrestling with a broke neck. I may not be an Olympian, but I can still spot toughness when I see it.

Honestly Angle probably hasn’t been celebrated enough for the amount of courage he showed and still found a way to be the best.

Looks like she has changed her mind and decide to compete again.
She untwisted herself I guess. The "GOAT" conversation will never be about her unless you're talking about those who self proclaimed to be the GOAT when they actually weren't.

On a different note, did y'all see the Charleston chick throw the black power sign up at the games? I see it on the news here now.

She untwisted herself I guess. The "GOAT" conversation will never be about her unless you're talking about those who self proclaimed to be the GOAT when they actually weren't.

On a different note, did y'all see the Charleston chick throw the black power sign up at the games? I see it on the news here now.
When I hear goat I think of a discipline or sport. Sports are to broad to say there is one greatest athlete in my opinion. She is the greatest gymnast of all time and that is just facts.

When I hear goat I think of a discipline or sport. Sports are to broad to say there is one greatest athlete in my opinion. She is the greatest gymnast of all time and that is just facts.
Bahaha 🤣 how you gonna claim she's the greatest and say it's facts. But the sentence directly above that one says you don't believe you can have a "greatest" player. 🤕 Makes my head hurt.

Bahaha 🤣 how you gonna claim she's the greatest and say it's facts. But the sentence directly above that one says you don't believe you can have a "greatest" player. 🤕 Makes my head hurt.

How can you be the most decorated gymnast of all time and not be the greatest gymnast of all time? We measure Jordan by his championships and Brady as well. Even tiger vs jack it’s all about championships. I don’t look at the term “goat” to only mean greatest athlete of all time.

How can you be the most decorated gymnast of all time and not be the greatest gymnast of all time? We measure Jordan by his championships and Brady as well. Even tiger vs jack it’s all about championships. I don’t look at the term “goat” to only mean greatest athlete of all time.
LOL, I guess GOAT means different things to Different people. IMO she truly LOST any consideration for "GOAT" standards when she quit on her team. Just IMO..

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT