ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles pulls out of the team competition. It's unknown at this point if she will compete in the individual events.

As I proposed to someone else who is skeptical. I will teach you how to take off and land a small plane and then will find an airfield that will allow you to solo. Take off over the ocean in IFR conditions and see how that goes for you. If its just "convenient" you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
I think the reason why many people are skeptical is because the “spatial disorientation “ story took about 4 days to be revealed. If that had not come after “mindfulness” and “mental health” then Biles would have been given the benefit of doubt.

I think the reason why many people are skeptical is because the “spatial disorientation “ story took about 4 days to be revealed. If that had not come after “mindfulness” and “mental health” then Biles would have been given the benefit of doubt.
Perhaps.

There’s no glory in being tough anymore.

Everyone is wired different. I have a close friend who has been an ER Doc for over 20 years.

He's mentioned on several occasions people can come in with their body and/or spine mangled with virtually no pain - and it's not a function of interrupted pain signaling. Others come in with severe pain with virtually no sign of any damage through visual or X-ray tests. He also has stated this can transcend both age and gender.

A great deal of the "toughness" we've come to admire is actually heightened pain tolerance via unique cytokine profiles/genetics. This phenomenon can also be observed with the use of functional MRIs. (fMRIs)

Everyone is wired different. I have a close friend who has been an ER Doc for over 20 years.

He's mentioned on several occasions people can come in with their body and/or spine mangled with virtually no pain - and it's not a function of interrupted pain signaling. Others come in with severe pain with virtually no sign of any damage through visual or X-ray tests. He also has stated this can transcend both age and gender.

A great deal of the "toughness" we've come to admire is actually heightened pain tolerance via unique cytokine profiles/genetics. This phenomenon can also be observed with the use of functional MRIs. (fMRIs)
People on the Autism spectrum some times can handle pain differently than others. It's all about how the body communicates with itself in regards to pain or any other feeling in general.

Reactions: PaleoCock

Right. Toughness means being able to withstand more pain, be it mental or physical. I'm not diminishing their experiences- they just can't handle it. If I'm in a stressful situation, I want the person next to me to be able to withstand mental and physical stresses.

Right. Toughness means being able to withstand more pain, be it mental or physical. I'm not diminishing their experiences- they just can't handle it. If I'm in a stressful situation, I want the person next to me to be able to withstand mental and physical stresses.

Agree. But it's pretty common to have a very talented player with a low pain threshold.

Reactions: bflogger28
As much as it pains me to say it. Federer is the ambassador and DJ is the GOAT.

Barring injury, DJ will likely end up with 25+ slams and also holds a winning head-to-head vs. Federer.
He has got to putt better and CARE. I love DJ but he seems to give up if he isn’t in the lead or adversity strikes. I hope I am wrong.

He didn’t blame it on mental illness, and he didn’t get called heroic, brave, or courageous for quitting.
So he is just a wuss? I guess that is more honorable? I guess I don't understand why some people throwing out the adjectives really matters.

Reactions: rogue cock
So he is just a wuss? I guess that is more honorable? I guess I don't understand why some people throwing out the adjectives really matters.

In his case, I think he quit to rest up and recover for the US Open. Federer and Nadal didn’t even go to the Olympics for that reason.

It’s not admirable what he did, and it’s also not admirable what Biles did. The difference is that Biles initially claimed she quit due to her mental health, and then she had her ass kissed and was widely praised for being heroic and courageous when in actuality she quit or choked or whatever happened with her.

It wasn’t a mental health issue, and we now know that. It took a few days for her PR team to come up with this crap about having the ‘twisties’. If that was really the case, why didn’t she just say that in the beginning instead of talking about mental health? She was lying either then or now.

In his case, I think he quit to rest up and recover for the US Open. Federer and Nadal didn’t even go to the Olympics for that reason.

It’s not admirable what he did, and it’s also not admirable what Biles did. The difference is that Biles initially claimed she quit due to her mental health, and then she had her ass kissed and was widely praised for being heroic and courageous when in actuality she quit or choked or whatever happened with her.

It wasn’t a mental health issue, and we now know that. It took a few days for her PR team to come up with this crap about having the ‘twisties’. If that was really the case, why didn’t she just say that in the beginning instead of talking about mental health? She was lying either then or now.
Because she would have been asked a million questions

Nadal had a foot injury after the French Open. Djokovic was going after a Golden slam and couldn't pull it off and threw a hissy fit, including an unwarranted throw of his racket into the stands. Also there was discussions of Biles getting the lost in the air within the first 24 hours of the team finals and even watching the replay of her in the air you can see she looks confused and a little scared. Just for the record a sudden mental block causing you to lose skill overi in something like the Twisties or the Yips are often correlated with mental health.

Just saw that she is going to compete on the beam. Hardly a place where the twisties would be good. I hope she doesn't injure herself. I mean that sincerely. I never wish anyone to be injured

Reactions: bflogger28
If on championships alone, a gentleman named Bill Russell says hello with his 11 rings Also one of the classiest guys in sports
IMO, (and only MY OPINION) a GOAT makes people around him better. Cornbread, Mchale Parrish were nothing without BIRD, but hey, that is My opinion.. If you honestly think Tim Duncan was better than Bird, so be it!!

200w.gif
ae4d912b-62df-48dc-a9d7-720b33294bf0-USP_Olympics__Gymnastics_-_Aug_3_2.jpg

I will give Simone (AND ESPN) one thing....... They truly did as CNN and MSNBC told them, they took away ANY Spotlight from Suni Lee for winning all around GOLD, and gave it straight to Simone as planned!!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
They can't because they saw a headline and have already made up their mind about something they don't follow .

As I see it, Biles is the most decorated gymnast of all time, despite being one of the most hyped and marketed athletes going into Rio she still had 4 gold medals and 1 bronze medal performance out of a possible so 5 medals in a max 6 events. One of the best performances ever in a single Olympics,more that even Nadia and every other gymnast listed throughout this thread has done.

She has won championships with broken toes and with kidney stones. She also came from a broken home with a lot of drama with her birth parents and siblings. She has anchored the US gymnastics team for the past 8 years despite being the victim of sexual abuse that was being covered up by the same people she had helped make look good for the better part of a decade.

Even at these Olympics she managed to land a vault despite not being in the right mindset and the difficulty was enough to keep team USA in medal contention. She has been nothing but supportive and and encouraging to the rest of Team USA in every event since she stepped down. She hasn't tried to make the situation all about her or become a victim. I see a young lady with a lot grit who has overcame a lot and still has succeeded anyway. I see no reason to question her dedication to her team or the sport because as history has shown she has gone above and beyond for US gymnastics even when they didn't have her back.
Great post. But your facts are ruining all of the agendas in this thread.

IMO, (and only MY OPINION) a GOAT makes people around him better. Cornbread, Mchale Parrish were nothing without BIRD, but hey, that is My opinion.. If you honestly think Tim Duncan was better than Bird, so be it!!
Not sure where you thought i said Duncan was better than Bird. I never said that. I never mentioned Bird or Duncan. I said if you count championships Bill Russell had to be in the mix. Wilt and Magic would be in that conversation also as would Jordan, Kobe and Lebron. Today's players are bigger stronger and faster. It's hard to compare players of different generations

Reactions: rogue cock

I've never seen so many people get worked up over a 24 year old gymnast...and most the people who are complaining are supposedly the ones who said they have boycott the Olympics and aren't watching. 🤔

You out there doing loops or something? I'm not a pilot, but a few of my friends are. My cousin is one of Carolina's pilots. I've never heard this talked about before. We've done a lot of flying over the last 30yrs. Grazed the top of a fence post in a pasture one time. A few other questionable moves as well. I'm sure it's possible to get what you're saying, but if it's happened to you twice, are you sure flying is the right thing for you to be doing? Just asking a serious question. Not being a butt.G
That's a nice gig your cousin has. I am sure your friends and cousin are very familiar with the condition, even if they don't talk about it. I never have before this thread came up.

I haven't experienced it in over 20 years. My first was when my dad was teaching me how to fly by instruments and we got into heavy clouds....and fortunately my dad took over the controls. My second was withing a couple of years after getting IFR certified and we were flying to Tampa at night from the Gvl Downtown Airport, got disoriented over the Gulf on a pitch black night...dad helped me work through the procedure and I was fine thereafter.

If none of your friends or cousin have experienced it, I hope they never do. It isn't fun.

I will give Simone (AND ESPN) one thing....... They truly did as CNN and MSNBC told them, they took away ANY Spotlight from Suni Lee for winning all around GOLD, and gave it straight to Simone as planned!!
Yea...and Fauci had to be in on this...guess he was busy cooking up the Echo and Foxtrot variants for the Dems.

Reactions: JeffTweedyFan
Not sure where you thought i said Duncan was better than Bird. I never said that. I never mentioned Bird or Duncan. I said if you count championships Bill Russell had to be in the mix. Wilt and Magic would be in that conversation also as would Jordan, Kobe and Lebron. Today's players are bigger stronger and faster. It's hard to compare players of different generations
I asked somone to GIVE me five better than Bird. Duncan, Malone, Jabbar were on "said" list. Sorry.. It was PALEOCOCK..

Last edited:
Yea...and Fauci had to be in on this...guess he was busy cooking up the Echo and Foxtrot variants for the Dems.
You are SO SO Correct. Anything to keep America locked in their Basement depending on Govt. GRADLE TO GRAVE!! Test everyone!!! Well except ILLEGALS coming in, they are ok!! (lol)

I asked somone to GIVE me five better than Bird. Duncan, Malone, Jabbar were on "said" list. Sorry.. It was PALEOCOCK..
I would put Bird in the top 5 as a pure shooter. I doubt Bird could guard Wilt on a one on one situation. No one mention Pete Maravich but would put him in line with Bird. There are just too many athletes out there I would put above Bird. If I need a 3 pointer then Bird would be one of the first person I called.

Five Olympic versus 1. And Phelps was favored to win that event and didn't even make it to the stand. The longevity of a swimmer is greater than a gymnast.

Biles is the most decorated gymnast in history and has 4 elements named after her, and should add another this Olympics. That is more than any gymnast ever. She is without a doubt the greatest gymnast of all time.
Shannon Miller was until Yesterday, but she is white, so she cant be a GOAT..

Bingo. When the story comes that late, it is a sign of trying to control the story. Also, she brought up Nassar when that was dead. Was it in attempt for sympathy? Absolutely. By the way, she comes back in an event where she is not favored to medal. Why? She would have been labeled a choker to come back in the events where favored to win gold. By the way, we still have heard no mental diagnoses. Yet, she runs to an interview to get her face on TV with a smile faster than anyone.

That's a nice gig your cousin has. I am sure your friends and cousin are very familiar with the condition, even if they don't talk about it. I never have before this thread came up.

I haven't experienced it in over 20 years. My first was when my dad was teaching me how to fly by instruments and we got into heavy clouds....and fortunately my dad took over the controls. My second was withing a couple of years after getting IFR certified and we were flying to Tampa at night from the Gvl Downtown Airport, got disoriented over the Gulf on a pitch black night...dad helped me work through the procedure and I was fine thereafter.

If none of your friends or cousin have experienced it, I hope they never do. It isn't fun.

How do you deal with it when flying alone? Didn't the pitcher Roy Holiday crash his experimental plane and died because of getting disoriented? Now I think they found stuff in his system. Not saying that caused anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT