ADVERTISEMENT

Six years, 24 mil for Marshall at Alabama

Which is why South Carolina didn't offer him a job because he was asking for too much.

they can afford it. And if they pay it they will be in the final four within 5 years.

This post was edited on 3/30 7:18 PM by waxed_floss

Originally posted by saltlifeGamecock:
Hearing AL is considering offering Marshall this "type" of contract. Comments?
He deserves every cent of it if he continues his winning ways....

They'd be better served getting more fans to their basketball games and improving their basketball facilities.

Actually Cockhorn, that was a point introduced by his side. Facility upgrades, commitment to the sport promotion, extras, etc. Keen insight.

Actually Cockhorn, that was a point introduced by his side. Facility upgrades, commitment to the sport promotion, extras, etc. Keen insight.
He'll always be second fiddle behind football in Tuscaloosa. Not so in Wichita.

CBS reported 6 years, $20 mil, which is still not chicken feed but its not $4mil a year

hell, if it were me I would have made that offer to Marshall before we hired Martin, that was exactly the kind of act we needed to make to show the entire college basketball world that we were getting serious about competing, and not the crappy half-measures we have been taking. Now, most likely he's going to Tuscaloosa who we have to play every stinking year, which is going to be a major stick in our collective eyes when he takes his team and whips our asses for the next ten years.

Originally posted by jackrabbit slim:

Originally posted by DirtyCock99:
Marshall is headed south... Just a little more west than Alabama.

Nope. That will be Shaka Smart.

That depends on who you believe in the media... But, if it is Smart to Texas. I'd put good money on Marshall staying in Wichita.

Originally posted by dcdayday:

Which is why South Carolina didn't offer him a job because he was asking for too much.
This is so completely and utterly wrong I don't know where to start.

More incorrect info on why Hyman passed on offering or even interviewing him twice.

Originally posted by goldengamecock:

More incorrect info on why Hyman passed on offering or even interviewing him twice.
Whatever Hyman's reasons were, they shouldn't have gotten in the way of hiring someone who could have led USC out of its MBB doldrums.
Marshall was never caught with a dead prostitute or a live boy in bed. He may have an abrasive personality but I don't care. FM's personality isn't exactly a choir boy's but he's a winner.

Marshall didn't get a call when Horn was hired, but the second time around USC reached out, but wasn't offering enough money to continue the conversation.

Originally posted by ToddFlanders:

Marshall didn't get a call when Horn was hired, but the second time around USC reached out, but wasn't offering enough money to continue the conversation.
This is the truth. I have heard this from more than one member of the BOT.

Originally posted by alston:

How is it that a pgm like Wichita St. can outbid USC for a MBB coach? Just another example of Hyman head being cheap and not focusing on his job. After all, he wouldn't want a USC MBB coach that might beat UNC in a regional.

I would guess that since Wichita St doesn't have a football program they throw all their money at basketball.

Marshall has his eye on Syracuse... just my opinion. He'll get big money but I don't see him going to a football school like Bama. He's in a better position to win a title where he is now.

I would have guessed TX would be more in the game but they seem set on Shaka Smart right now. Marshall met with the AD from Bama yesterday in Wichita. Battle and he discussed the position and such. Guess we'll see over the next few days.

Originally posted by CaliCock:

CBS reported 6 years, $20 mil, which is still not chicken feed but its not $4mil a year

hell, if it were me I would have made that offer to Marshall before we hired Martin, that was exactly the kind of act we needed to make to show the entire college basketball world that we were getting serious about competing, and not the crappy half-measures we have been taking. Now, most likely he's going to Tuscaloosa who we have to play every stinking year, which is going to be a major stick in our collective eyes when he takes his team and whips our asses for the next ten years.
gmwashere

20 mil seems reasonable for Bama. They have the scratch.

Look at it this way. What have we shelled out to coaches in the last forty friggin years to get zero NCAA tournament wins? Hyman got Horn off the sales rack and he ended up taking a mediocre program and turning it into an epic dumpster fire. What a bargain.

Golden.. you are correct. .But "whys" and " what ifs" of erroneous remarks will continue.

This post was edited on 4/1 12:02 PM by bosoxcock

Good one Orig....

Nice to see Cali getting a dose of his own medicine.

Re: But it was the SC power players' dumpster which often is

more than enough for certain segments of the SC support group......see football circa 1977-81, 1989-90s for example.

SC seems to have invented the Jerry Jones syndrome among boosters.

Originally posted by Cock-Vader:
Marshall has his eye on Syracuse... just my opinion. He'll get big money but I don't see him going to a football school like Bama. He's in a better position to win a title where he is now.
He may indeed have his eyes on Syracuse, especially since he is not from there and has no connections to the Syracuse program.

Originally posted by AtlasShrugged:

He may indeed have his eyes on Syracuse, especially since he is not from there and has no connections to the Syracuse program.
What were his connections to Wichita St?

Originally posted by AtlasShrugged:

Uncalled for sarcasm notwithstanding, allow me to explain. The Syracuse job will be open in three years. The longer Marshall holds out, the more money he is worth. He has NO reason to leave Wich. St. for anything less than a top 10 basketball job. Syracuse fits the bill. However, if you disagree, yay for you. That's why I said in my original post - and I quote - JUST MY OPINION.

Personally, I don't care where he goes or doesn't go. The woulda, coulda, and shoulda stuff is irrelevant. I was amazed at the amount of money to be put on the table for a non-revenue generating sport. Only places like WS can get revenue out of that sport. No competition.

Personally, I don't care where he goes or doesn't go. The woulda, coulda, and shoulda stuff is irrelevant. I was amazed at the amount of money to be put on the table for a non-revenue generating sport. Only places like WS can get revenue out of that sport. No competition.
Football and men's basketball are actually the only two revenue-generating sports at most schools. There are rare exceptions, such as a handful of elite baseball programs and women's basketball programs, but in general those two are it. The NCAA Tournament brings in crazy amounts of money. Hell, the marketing opportunities afforded the participating schools makes it worth showing up without receiving a cut of the cash.

The revenue-generating nature of men's basketball is basically what tore apart the old Big East. The non-football members hitched their wagon to basketball and the NCAA tournament, while the football members made a play for the major bowls and TV contracts. Both sides were making major dollars and both sides wanted conference rules favoring them (because, dammit we're the ones making all the money!).

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:

Football and men's basketball are actually the only two revenue-generating sports at most schools. There are rare exceptions, such as a handful of elite baseball programs and women's basketball programs, but in general those two are it. The NCAA Tournament brings in crazy amounts of money. Hell, the marketing opportunities afforded the participating schools makes it worth showing up without receiving a cut of the cash.

The revenue-generating nature of men's basketball is basically what tore apart the old Big East. The non-football members hitched their wagon to basketball and the NCAA tournament, while the football members made a play for the major bowls and TV contracts. Both sides were making major dollars and both sides wanted conference rules favoring them (because, dammit we're the ones making all the money!).
Good post, IMO, 4thgengamecock. The old BE started off as a basketball league. Football was sponsored much later.

Ideally, an athletic conference should be made up of "like-minded" schools in the same general geographic region. Schools which sponsor D-1 football are generally not "like-minded" with those who do not.

4th, I agree in theory. But most 5 majors only "make" a mil or so. I read that these programs generally speaking break even or actually lose money when all is said and done. As I alluded, BBQ only conferences do make money, but nothing close to that generated by "major" conference football programs. Period.

^^^rock walls...one entrance^^^

Originally posted by jerryusc:
Originally posted by alston:

How is it that a pgm like Wichita St. can outbid USC for a MBB coach? Just another example of Hyman head being cheap and not focusing on his job. After all, he wouldn't want a USC MBB coach that might beat UNC in a regional.
...much less his new team, which would be in the same conference.

4th, I agree in theory. But most 5 majors only "make" a mil or so. I read that these programs generally speaking break even or actually lose money when all is said and done. As I alluded, BBQ only conferences do make money, but nothing close to that generated by "major" conference football programs. Period.
I would argue that it's not totally about the money you make directly from the program. The marketing from the tournament is what you're really after. It's one of the most-watched events in America, maybe a half-step down from the Super Bowl. Teams that do well get major publicity just for showing up. Florida Gulf Coast saw a massive surge in applications the year they went to the Sweet 16.

More applications means more admissions. More admissions means more students. More students means more alumni. And more alumni means more of those sweet, sweet, donor dollars. That's really where schools make bank on basketball.

You Marshall bashers just won't admit it...but you know now you were wrong.

Honestly, no one knows how the man will do once he signs with a big program. But one things for sure...he's gonna make a lot of money.

He loves USC and in hindsight we should've given him the chance.

ima hang up and let y'all keep at it.

Originally posted by Bigger_Stronger_Faster:
You Marshall bashers just won't admit it...but you know now you were wrong.

Honestly, no one knows how the man will do once he signs with a big program. But one things for sure...he's gonna make a lot of money.

He loves USC and in hindsight we should've given him the chance.

ima hang up and let y'all keep at it.
If he is a great coach why is he not going to Alabama ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT