ADVERTISEMENT

SMU trolling TCU and Gary Patterson pretty hard

Drew Davison

@drewdavison

This didn't sit well with Patterson. "They take a song that you wrote about COVID and getting back to families and they make fun of you. If I had the time, I’d go out and get all the copyright laws and I’d get after their ass but I’ve got Longhorns on my mind right now."

TCU football coach rips SMU for staging flag-planting that led to coach’s injury​

TCU football coach Gary Patterson didn’t hold back his feelings on SMU and coach Sonny Dykes for the postgame scuffle that followed Saturday’s game in Fort Worth.

Patterson said TCU special assistant Jerry Kill was diagnosed with a concussion after being knocked over twice during the fight, including once by his own players. Multiple video angles from the fight show that Kill had been knocked over by his own players.

Patterson said he couldn’t substantiate which team knocked Kill over the second time, or whether a SMU player used a helmet to cause an injury, as Patterson alleged during his postgame news conference.

Patterson pointed out that one of SMU’s videographers from its media department had been positioned to film the entire thing.

“You don’t think it was planned? They had a media person from their office that was out filming the flag getting set in the middle of the field,” Patterson said. “It’s OK. But don’t tell me there wasn’t a plan somewhere there.

“A guy [Kill] got hurt. Why I’m upset about it, a guy got hurt that things like that usually cause seizures. A guy got hurt. He got pushed down by our kids once on film in the middle of it and he got hit because I’ve got the proof to show it.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article254567612.html

I would’ve loved to see SMU somehow get into the Big XII. Obviously, they know how to play the money game and would compete rather quickly, if not rise toward the top.

I would’ve loved to see SMU somehow get into the Big XII. Obviously, they know how to play the money game and would compete rather quickly, if not rise toward the top.
LOL. Uh no they wouldn't. They are reveling in beating TCU because TCU has beat them 18 out of the last 22 times they have played. SMU hasn't beaten Texas since 1985. SMU hasn't beaten Oklahoma since 1968. They haven't beaten Oklahoma State since 1950. Baylor has beat SMU the last 13 times they have played. Texas Tech has beat SMU the last 15 times they have played. Realistically, SMU would have as much chance competing in the Big 12 as it would the SEC. Actually better, they might beat Vanderbilt in the SEC. In the Big 12 they go o-fer the conference almost every year. This isn't the Eric Dickerson days when they were openly paying players and got the death penalty for it. SMU downsized football after that. They are a small private school, with just over 6,000 undergraduate students and play in a stadium that seats 32,000. There are a dozen high schools in Dallas-Fort Worth with bigger stadiums.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
LOL. Uh no they wouldn't. They are reveling in beating TCU because TCU has beat them 18 out of the last 22 times they have played. SMU hasn't beaten Texas since 1985. SMU hasn't beaten Oklahoma since 1968. They haven't beaten Oklahoma State since 1950. Baylor has beat SMU the last 13 times they have played. Texas Tech has beat SMU the last 15 times they have played. Realistically, SMU would have as much chance competing in the Big 12 as it would the SEC. Actually better, they might beat Vanderbilt in the SEC. In the Big 12 they go o-fer the conference almost every year. This isn't the Eric Dickerson days when they were openly paying players and got the death penalty for it. SMU downsized football after that. They are a small private school, with just over 6,000 undergraduate students and play in a stadium that seats 32,000. There are a dozen high schools in Dallas-Fort Worth with bigger stadiums.

There is not a single Hs stadium in Texas that have bigger Hs stadiums than 32,000. Also, TCU is a private school that never has drawn high attendance either, but they have proven they can compete in the Big 12.
SMU also has an enrollment that is larger than TCU.
Put SMu in the Big 12 and they will recruit better and gain more fan interest. They did go through some awful times after The Death Penalty including allowing 95 vs Houston once. Still, the program has absolutely improved recently

Reactions: caughtlookin
There is not a single Hs stadium in Texas that have bigger Hs stadiums than 32,000. Also, TCU is a private school that never has drawn high attendance either, but they have proven they can compete in the Big 12.
SMU also has an enrollment that is larger than TCU.
Put SMu in the Big 12 and they will recruit better and gain more fan interest. They did go through some awful times after The Death Penalty including allowing 95 vs Houston once. Still, the program has absolutely improved recently
TCU's undergraduate enrollment is 10,222.
SMU's undergraduate enrollment is 6,827. Maybe you are counting SMU's graduate students. Lots of downtown Dallas business people get masters at SMU.
TCU takes a lot of pride and effort in their football, SMU consciously downsized football after the death penalty.
The present SMU team would get killed in the Big 12. I guess you can speculate how they would be different if they joined the Big 12, recruiting better, etc. But you could say the same thing about them joining the SEC.

If the NCAA would have done what they should have back then, we could be discussing clemson and their demise from the death penalty also just like smu.
That's my thoughts on this topic. 😬

If the NCAA would have done what they should have back then, we could be discussing clemson and their demise from the death penalty also just like smu.
Clemson definitely deserved it. But after the NCAA saw what a football death penalty meant to the non-revenue sports they kind of decided never to drop that hammer again. But SMU my god! They had to keep paying players after they got busted because the players had signed contracts!

What’s the scholarship limit for football? I honestly don’t know, but I have no doubt SMU could hang in the Big XII. Past records mean nothing although they’ve won over 32% each against mighty Texas (22-47-4) and TT (16-33). Both are 6 times the size of SMU. The Mustangs have done even better against TCU (42-51-7) and Baylor (36-39-7). They’ve only faced OU (1-5) and OSU (2-4) 6 times each, not much to go on.

Not to mention, a lot of these losses were during the BS death penalty years handed down on a little ole 6,000 enrollment school. The NCAA didn’t have the balls to do it to any of the “bigger” schools who were doing the same damn thing. But all of those other Texas schools sure were nervous of them.

Again, I believe SMU could more than hold their own, especially when you factor in the NIL setup now.

What’s the scholarship limit for football? I honestly don’t know, but I have no doubt SMU could hang in the Big XII. Past records mean nothing although they’ve won over 32% each against mighty Texas (22-47-4) and TT (16-33). Both are 6 times the size of SMU. The Mustangs have done even better against TCU (42-51-7) and Baylor (36-39-7). They’ve only faced OU (1-5) and OSU (2-4) 6 times each, not much to go on.

Not to mention, a lot of these losses were during the BS death penalty years handed down on a little ole 6,000 enrollment school. The NCAA didn’t have the balls to do it to any of the “bigger” schools who were doing the same damn thing. But all of those other Texas schools sure were nervous of them.

Again, I believe SMU could more than hold their own, especially when you factor in the NIL setup now.
You have it backwards, all of SMU's wins were before the death penalty, when they were relevant. In recent years they haven't beaten a single Big 12 team except for TCU. Texas Tech has beaten them the last 15 times they have played. Baylor the last 13. SMU is o-fer the Big 12 in the last 20 years except for TCU. Most of us think the death penalty handed out to SMU was unfair, or at least disproportionate to what other equally guilty teams were hit with. But it killed their football program as far as being big time. SMU would be murdered in the Big 12.

FAe6J2aXMAszi_L

Well, after SMU’s 42-34 win over TCU, you can now find a new SMU billboard on west-bound I-30 in Fort Worth…

The NCAA didn't create the death penalty until after Clemson's case. The Clemson violations were one of the reasons they created it.

You have it backwards, all of SMU's wins were before the death penalty, when they were relevant. In recent years they haven't beaten a single Big 12 team except for TCU. Texas Tech has beaten them the last 15 times they have played. Baylor the last 13. SMU is o-fer the Big 12 in the last 20 years except for TCU. Most of us think the death penalty handed out to SMU was unfair, or at least disproportionate to what other equally guilty teams were hit with. But it killed their football program as far as being big time. SMU would be murdered in the Big 12.

That’s exactly what I was saying. The death penalty caused a lot of the losses and all of the losing streaks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT