ADVERTISEMENT

So, our football recruiting class is ranked 30th overall and 12th in the SEC.

I'm encouraged with the new hires.
They may be an improvement over what we had. But I think just the fact that Beamer is the HEAD coach sets a limit on quality college coaches that would be willing to work UNDER him. Most college football coaches are definitely alpha males. Little Shane has beta written all over him. An alpha can definitely spot a beta.

Okay, but now think about what you JUST said.

In other words, Wanting to suddenly have more money than the big dogs or the middle level SEC teams isn't a strategy either.

Forget the trolling, forget the silly implications that some people pay more than others, take two seconds, and THINK for a minute. Read this next part like it's from an anonymous poster you've never heard of if it helps.

The premise of the thread was to ask, IF WE ASSUME A TALENT DISCREPANCY, due to NIL or recruiting or whatever, do we have the staff to compensate or overcome that? No discussion of money, it's an assumed loss for this thread.
If there was confirmation that Beamer is a poor coach, then it might be a good direction to pay a bailout and try again. I have seen little evidence of this.

His 1st season was pretty good considering what he was left with. No one expected anything and we were predicted to finish last or 2nd to Vandy for last. Instead, he won the Steve Spurrier Award that year along with other recognition.

His 2nd year was quality in the end. It started slow primarily because Rattler did not hit his stride until 8 games into the season. Rattler had more INTs than TDs going into the Vandy game (8th). I see that as a coaching positive that they were able to get him to become a better decision-maker and leader.

Last season was riddled with NIL-Portal Losses and injuries. We've never been a deep team and cannot afford to lose our best talent. Despite that, we were very competitive in most SEC games. I think that once again speaks to coaching.

Beamer's buyout is going to be between $10-20 million regardless of when it happens because of these contracts. Why waste that money on another coaching hunt until it's necessary? The idea of finding a coach that can do more with less is an ageless talking point in sports forums. In the SEC, it's certainly been more of an enigma than reality.

Reactions: Ward Jr
If there was confirmation that Beamer is a poor coach, then it might be a good direction to pay a bailout and try again. I have seen little evidence of this.

His 1st season was pretty good considering what he was left with. No one expected anything and we were predicted to finish last or 2nd to Vandy for last. Instead, he won the Steve Spurrier Award that year along with other recognition.

His 2nd year was quality in the end. It started slow primarily because Rattler did not hit his stride until 8 games into the season. Rattler had more INTs than TDs going into the Vandy game (8th). I see that as a coaching positive that they were able to get him to become a better decision-maker and leader.

Last season was riddled with NIL-Portal Losses and injuries. We've never been a deep team and cannot afford to lose our best talent. Despite that, we were very competitive in most SEC games. I think that once again speaks to coaching.

Beamer's buyout is going to be between $10-20 million regardless of when it happens because of these contracts. Why waste that money on another coaching hunt until it's necessary? The idea of finding a coach that can do more with less is an ageless talking point in sports forums. In the SEC, it's certainly been more of an enigma thanI reality.

I don't necessarily disagree.

I, like many others, am cringing at the upcoming schedule, looking for teams I feel confident we can beat. I am concerned we may be struggling for bowl eligibility again.

Then, he gets a 5th year. If he does decently this year, we have a shot at some momentum. If we struggle, I am concerned two rough seasons in a row will hurt recruiting and portal activity a lot, making that 5th year a doozie.

By then, one way or the other, I don't think they'll be too much debate. But I think that's long enough to satisfy the thought that we wouldn't do it till it's necessary?

What this boils down to, and I admit it, I'm looking at the program as if we're going to struggle this year, but this year hasn't happened yet. Beamer has a chance to turn the thing around, but this is going to be a hard year to do it.

(We could go for pages about the coaching. Was Rattler not performing until 8 games later bad for the staff because of the 1st 8 games, or good because of last few?, etc.)

Reactions: turncock
They may be an improvement over what we had. But I think just the fact that Beamer is the HEAD coach sets a limit on quality college coaches that would be willing to work UNDER him. Most college football coaches are definitely alpha males. Little Shane has beta written all over him. An alpha can definitely spot a beta.

Interesting take.

To add to the mess, (as I said in the last post) if you think about this program if we struggle this year. How hard is it to hire coaches to a staff with 2 bad years in a row? Alpha/beta thing aside, now you're asking assistants to come into a shaky situation. (Hot seat)

We need to avoid that badly, but to do so, we need to at least make a bowl in a season where we probably won't be favored in more than 4 or 5 games. We need to steal some.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
I believe most of us recognize the state of the world of college football, and have so for some time. Consequently, as things now stand for USC, we are in a world of hurt. I don't see it (money deficit) changing. Evidently, we even trail Clemson.

I would really like to see those numbers for each school, but I don't know if we'll ever get a real good picture.

But yes, we are at a disadvantage in this NIL world. We need a major CFB reset, because I don't think we're going to wish ourselves into monetary competitiveness.

Reactions: gamecock stock
I don't think we're going to wish ourselves into monetary competitiveness.
Spot on. I have always tried to be realistic with everything in my life. Anyone on this site can say they are going to get a date with Charlize Theron. Nice. Good luck with that. Go for it. But, you KNOW it's not going to happen. You have to know your limitations in life and, then, adjust.

Reactions: Lurker123
I don't necessarily disagree.

I, like many others, am cringing at the upcoming schedule, looking for teams I feel confident we can beat. I am concerned we may be struggling for bowl eligibility again.

Then, he gets a 5th year. If he does decently this year, we have a shot at some momentum. If we struggle, I am concerned two rough seasons in a row will hurt recruiting and portal activity a lot, making that 5th year a doozie.

By then, one way or the other, I don't think they'll be too much debate. But I think that's long enough to satisfy the thought that we wouldn't do it till it's necessary?

What this boils down to, and I admit it, I'm looking at the program as if we're going to struggle this year, but this year hasn't happened yet. Beamer has a chance to turn the thing around, but this is going to be a hard year to do it.

(We could go for pages about the coaching. Was Rattler not performing until 8 games later bad for the staff because of the 1st 8 games, or good because of last few?, etc.)

Agree. However, that's not really a Beamer issue. Most of the teams we've ever fielded would be sucking wind with these new schedules, especially when your talent is getting plucked.

I do disagree that Beamer needs to turn things around. I think he's doing a good job with the hand he has been dealt. It wasn't his fault that he lost all of those players last season and experienced those injuries. I thought the staff tried to make the best of it for the most part. Though playcalling was a little ragged and predictable at times.

Beamer's teams look better coached than Muschamps to me. They are more entertaining and competitive. I think it would be a mistake to start chasing something we don't even know exists. Ward Jr is right about Spurrier and Holtz. Those are different periods in time and many factors aligned when they were at SC which had very little to do with good coaching. Plus, they didn't have to commodate for losing star players each season.

It hasn't been discussed much but losing Mario to the portal at the end of last year was a big blow. That guy was primed to have a big season and we really could have used that breaking in a new QB.

Spot on. I have always tried to be realistic with everything in my life. Anyone on this site can say they are going to get a date with Charlize Theron. Nice. Good luck with that. Go for it. But, you KNOW it's not going to happen. You have to know your limitations in life and, then, adjust.

Adjust how exactly, Stock? Today's talent wants to be paid. If you want to get in a league where coaching can do more with less, better head to Conference USA where competition against cut-throat and you can build a good squad with far less to no money.

The big leagues are changed forever unless they reform the system. All the NIL and open portal has done is increase the gap between the traditional powerhouses and everyone else.

Beamer's buyout is going to be between $10-20 million regardless of when it happens because of these contracts. Why waste that money on another coaching hunt until it's necessary? The idea of finding a coach that can do more with less is an ageless talking point in sports forums. In the SEC, it's certainly been more of an enigma than reality.

Quality take.

Adjust how exactly, Stock? Today's talent wants to be paid. If you want to get in a league where coaching can do more with less, better head to Conference USA where competition against cut-throat and you can build a good squad with far less to no money.

The big leagues are changed forever unless they reform the system. All the NIL and open portal has done is increase the gap between the traditional powerhouses and everyone else.
Ward I've made it so clear previously that you already answered the question. We are not talking about now, obviously. We are talking about down the road, if it comes to that.

We will do the best we can now and always regarding money, knowing that we are now and always will be at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Agree. However, that's not really a Beamer issue. Most of the teams we've ever fielded would be sucking wind with these new schedules, especially when your talent is getting plucked.

I do disagree that Beamer needs to turn things around. I think he's doing a good job with the hand he has been dealt. It wasn't his fault that he lost all of those players last season and experienced those injuries. I thought the staff tried to make the best of it for the most part. Though playcalling was a little ragged and predictable at times.

Beamer's teams look better coached than Muschamps to me. They are more entertaining and competitive. I think it would be a mistake to start chasing something we don't even know exists. Ward Jr is right about Spurrier and Holtz. Those are different periods in time and many factors aligned when they were at SC which had very little to do with good coaching. Plus, they didn't have to commodate for losing star players each season.

It hasn't been discussed much but losing Mario to the portal at the end of last year was a big blow. That guy was primed to have a big season and we really could have used that breaking in a new QB.

I suppose im not as keen to give Beamer too much of a pass though. Injuries happen to everyone, and every team is dealing with portal madness right now. We do lose talent, but with just Rattler alone, we gained a guy who practically carried the team.

I guess I am hitting the spot where the reasons keep coming, and they're more than starting to sound like excuses.

I see another disconnect that is basically expectations. The schedule is tough, but it always is. Our relative strength is why our expectations have gone from 8 ish wins to hoping for bowl eligibility.

Perhaps my expectations are unreasonable. Maybe this is our new norm, and Beamer is as good as plugging in another coach. The word "settling" has been bantered about. I am just not there yet, so I'm still frustrated.

Edit: Go ahead and add that I was not a fan of the hire to begin with. I felt it was WAY too much like a fantasy of duplicating Dabo. So when you think a mistake was made up front, the struggling and excuses don't go over as well either.

So when you think a mistake was made up front, the struggling and excuses don't go over as well either.
In the business world (well, before the DEI business world) mistakes can be seen as a problem. In the business world problems have to be dealt with. Like immediately.

Because we can read post history and see exactly what was said in the past.

Watson said in Oct 2022 that Beamer should be fired after the 2022 season since he was definitely going to be fired at the 2023 season. Said it was early, but the right thing to do. His girlfriend slurper123 agreed but argued that it wasn't going to happen because decision makers weren't even going to consider it.

lol when did I say he was definitely going to be fired?

I've long known our administration is incompetent.

I assumed the lack of a link meant your version of history would be "creative", and I was right.

So here's the link where I agree Watson's post. I said I didn't agree with everything, but that part doesn't count i guess, leaving you to conveniently pick and choose what I meant.

But the really funny part is few posts above that where I state, quite clearly:

Discussing the firing of Beamer this year is premature, imo.

Probably the real reason you suddenly forgot how to paste a link.

Lmao
Guess you actually CAN'T read post history and see exactly what was said.

Wow. Look at how accurate I was in that post.

Correctly called how
  1. The next OC wouldn't be a great hire
  2. Clayton White would begin to take heat once Satterfield was gone
Pretty much the only thing I got wrong was that Beamer and White would get UT and Clemson's signals from Michigan. But who would have known that Michigan would share their resources?

I suppose im not as keen to give Beamer too much of a pass though. Injuries happen to everyone, and every team is dealing with portal madness right now. We do lose talent, but with just Rattler alone, we gained a guy who practically carried the team.

I guess I am hitting the spot where the reasons keep coming, and they're more than starting to sound like excuses.

I see another disconnect that is basically expectations. The schedule is tough, but it always is. Our relative strength is why our expectations have gone from 8 ish wins to hoping for bowl eligibility.

Perhaps my expectations are unreasonable. Maybe this is our new norm, and Beamer is as good as plugging in another coach. The word "settling" has been bantered about. I am just not there yet, so I'm still frustrated.

Edit: Go ahead and add that I was not a fan of the hire to begin with. I felt it was WAY too much like a fantasy of duplicating Dabo. So when you think a mistake was made up front, the struggling and excuses don't go over as well either.
Well put, Lurker. I would just add they not only felt they were duplicating Dabo but also Frank. It's rare that the son of a legend goes on to duplicate Daddy's success. The Bowdens and Mike Shula failures come to mind.

I found it and posted the link. Her version of history was a little "creative". Which is why she conveniently forgot how to post the link to the thread she was referring to.

Who would have thought she'd be loose with the truth, and have another tantrum blow up in her face?

Edit: nevermind, you read it.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscwatson21

LOL. Literally right here. And the other site idiot agreed with you.

https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/beamer-should-be-fired-if.380977/#post-6134052

"We're going to be having the same conversation next year with Beamer that we had with Satterfield this year. When it's pretty evident you're going to need to fire them after the next season, you might as well fire them after the current year."

And if clowns like you had your way, we wouldn't have a historic win over Tennessee and would be sitting on a NINE GAME losing streak to Clemson. That's why emotional bitches like you two don't get to make those kind of decisions.

"It was pretty obvious Satterfield wasn't going to be successful last year. Instead of just cutting ties, we gave him an extra year and how did it work out? The same is going to apply with Beamer next year. The only reason to justify the Beamer hire was that he supposedly had a great network and could hire great coordinators. That didn't happen in the first round of hires. Satterfield is a clear bust and I think the only reason White isn't getting more heat is how badly Satterfield has performed."

Wow. Look at how accurate I was in that post.

Correctly called how
  1. The next OC wouldn't be a great hire
  2. Clayton White would begin to take heat once Satterfield was gone
Pretty much the only thing I got wrong was that Beamer and White would get UT and Clemson's signals from Michigan. But who would have known that Michigan would share their resources?

LOL. You got EVERYTHING wrong. As usual.

LOL. You just can’t ever admit that you’re wrong.

I was spot on. We went 5-7 this year and looked awful. Fans are starting to see through Beamer and after this season our fanbase is going to be ripped apart after another 6-6 season at best.

I think you need to go back and reread the thread. Your interpretation isn't really accurate, as usual.

No wonder you never wanted to provide the link, and only did so after I found it and made a fool out of you with it. Consider me shocked you doubled down on making sh!t up AGAIN.

Last edited:
LOL. You just can’t ever admit that you’re wrong.

I was spot on. We went 5-7 this year and looked awful. Fans are starting to see through Beamer and after this season our fanbase is going to be ripped apart after another 6-6 season at best.

Hard to argue with you in this instance.

You're right about the meme queen too. It's odd for someone so often wrong to be so emotionally wrapped up in convincing people she's not an idiot.

Reactions: uscwatson21

The impact of the portal is completely different based on where you are positioned and your resources at hand. It's amazing you still don't get this. For many teams, the portal and NIL are a dream scenario. We're just not one of them. Again, Spurrier or Holtz would have probably quit on the spot if they lost 4 of their 5 best players after any given season.

Reactions: turncock
The impact of the portal is completely different based on where you are positioned and your resources at hand. It's amazing you still don't get this. For many teams, the portal and NIL are a dream scenario. We're just not one of them. Again, Spurrier or Holtz would have probably quit on the spot if they lost 4 of their 5 best players after any given season.

If you believe this, it makes even less sense for you to want Beamer to be the HC. If you're saying our NIL can't compete, it's even more important to have a competent HC.

He went 5-7 with the greatest QB in Gamecock history. He's projected to go 5-7 this year as well. What more needs to be said?

Much more. First off, Rattler was not our greatest QB by any measure. He was a gun slinger who didn't have a supporting cast in 2023 because other teams bought those players that were instrumental in the 2022 surge. It was self-evident on the field. If we don't lose those players, you're losing your mind right now because we're most likely coming off another 7 or 8 win season.

Much more. First off, Rattler was not our greatest QB by any measure. He was a gun slinger who didn't have a supporting cast in 2023 because other teams bought those players that were instrumental in the 2022 surge. It was self-evident on the field. If we don't lose those players, you're losing your mind right now because we're most likely coming off another 7 or 8 win season.

What's the excuse for this year going to be?

It doesn't seem as if Beamer can't openly address these implications. A few years ago several schools, including Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss, went on a media tour about these issues and being on the short end of the stick. Their donations began to flow in and they now appear to have a very competitive program as a result. All we have are ads from Garnet Trust asking us to donate if we're serious about football.

It doesn't seem as if Beamer can't openly address these implications. A few years ago several schools, including Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss, went on a media tour about these issues and being on the short end of the stick. Their donations began to flow in and they now appear to have a very competitive program as a result. All we have are ads from Garnet Trust asking us to donate if we're serious about football.

Kids also want to play for Lane Kiffin. The same high profile transfers don't want to play for Beamer.

Beamer has spent plenty of money on NIL. We just haven't gotten much out of it sans Rattler.

Kids also want to play for Lane Kiffin. The same high profile transfers don't want to play for Beamer.

Beamer has spent plenty of money on NIL. We just haven't gotten much out of it sans Rattler.

This is comedy? Kiffin is openly bragging about their NIL program to lure more recruits. Too bad Beamer doesn't get that same latitude, but it's probably because we don't have it to throw around like Ole Miss.

Watson has mentioned that playing for Kiffin has part to do with that, and that is true.

But I wonder how much money is out there? Meaning, are their tons of gamecock fans out there that just don't know where to send their money? Is there some stash of cash out there we haven't tapped into yet?

Or, after a couple years of this, are we starting to settle into the long term levels of giving?

Beamer could certainly try to help his cause with media requests for money. I'm just not sure there are a lot of people who will start giving that aren't already giving. Surely some would respond with more or some giving, just not sure of its amount.

Watson has mentioned that playing for Kiffin has part to do with that, and that is true.

But I wonder how much money is out there? Meaning, are their tons of gamecock fans out there that just don't know where to send their money? Is there some stash of cash out there we haven't tapped into yet?

Or, after a couple years of this, are we starting to settle into the long term levels of giving?

Beamer could certainly try to help his cause with media requests for money. I'm just not sure there are a lot of people who will start giving that aren't already giving. Surely some would respond with more or some giving, just not sure of its amount.

Ole Miss has a similar situation to Clemson. They have an intimate campus and dedicated alumni. The Oxford area (and Mississippi in general) have become wealthy via land ownership over the past 30-40 years. That's been the hottest property in the South. Comparing us to Ole Miss or Clemson is like comparing a private airport to a public one. Our comparables are more like Starksville, Raleigh or Blacksburg.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT