ADVERTISEMENT

So we need a new AD?

So wait those 3 coaches and Muschamp were the only available coaches. Well, I guess it makes sense then since you put it that way. I always pick the proven failure over the unknown myself. I like to know what Im getting. I like risk aversion.
The children in his family are very wise indeed.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Both of our last 2 AD's coaching hires had hits and misses.

On the toilet bowl end Mike McGee hired Buffet Brad and Susan Waviloss. On the other side he hired Lou Holtz who had a few good seasons.
On the toilet bowl end Eric Hymin hired Darren Horn. On the other side he hired Dawn Staley.

Other school AD's have their coaching hire hits and misses as well.

If we replaced Ray Tanner with a new AD that AD would probably have some hits and misses as well so I think we should just keep Tanner.

Reactions: goldengamecock

On the toilet bowl end Mike McGee hired Buffet Brad and Susan Waviloss. On the other side he hired Lou Holtz who had a few good seasons.
On the toilet bowl end Eric Hymin hired Darren Horn. On the other side he hired Dawn Staley.

If we replaced Ray Tanner with a new AD that AD would probably have some hits and misses as well so I think we should just keep Tanner.
McGee also hired Spurrier.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
It's not that it's a sucky job. It's just that people need to realize that these coaches that they want aren't looking to end their careers here. Most of the ones mentioned that people wanted last time would have been here a season or two at best before bolting for their dream job. The irony is that when we were looking for a DC, CWM was mentioned a great deal for that position, along with being made HCIW. But the masses have conveniently forgotten that.

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to do something so not-Carolina and stick with a coach for a while, let him build a staff around him, and see what happens.

SC does not fire coaches like other schools. We hang on longer than we should in most cases. Frank Martin has been here 7 seasons and going on his 8th season. Spurrier was here 10 years - and clearly stayed too long. The only coaches we fired deserved to go - except George Felton and Richard Bell. (and Bell was fired for insubordination because he refused to fire assistants)

Unless you believe we should have kept Woods, Scott, Holbrook and Horn.

I don't know what the president will do. I just know Ray Tanner isn't going anywhere.
Okay, I assume that means the Board is planning on hiring a president that has no say in running the athletic dept. Otherwise you have no way of knowing what the new Prez will do.

Okay, I assume that means the Board is planning on hiring a president that has no say in running the athletic dept. Otherwise you have no way of knowing what the new Prez will do.
The BOT gives the extensions, so it doesn't matter. Chances are the new president will not be that concerned with athletics anyway.

The BOT gives the extensions, so it doesn't matter. Chances are the new president will not be that concerned with athletics anyway.
It's 200 million dollar organization and the most visible for the university. It's 100 percent something they care about.

Make Tanner the Vice President of Buildings and Grounds. Hindsight says that is what he should've been when we promoted him. It seems that his focus has been on this all along. He darn sure hasn't done anything with the athletics programs.

Make Tanner the Vice President of Buildings and Grounds. Hindsight says that is what he should've been when we promoted him. It seems that his focus has been on this all along. He darn sure hasn't done anything with the athletics programs.
I'll give credit where do - he's done a hell of job improving that aspect.

It's 200 million dollar organization and the most visible for the university. It's 100 percent something they care about.
Sports exist because of the university, not the other way around. You think the tail wags the dog....not the case.

Reactions: rogue cock
Sports exist because of the university, not the other way around. You think the tail wags the dog....not the case.
I've worked at a university for a long time, including years working in the the athletic dept. I know exactly how it works.

Your posts don't reflect that.
I'm posting from the perspective of someone that actually works in a university and deals with these same issues day to day. What about you?

Our old baseball coach was a legend, for instance. He's one of the most successful coaches in the last twenty years and everyone loved him. But guess what: He's bass fishing now. That's how it goes in the grown up world when you don't win.

I'm posting from the perspective of someone that actually works in a university and deals with these same issues day to day. What about you?

Our old baseball coach was a legend, for instance. He's one of the most successful coaches in the last twenty years and everyone loved him. But guess what: He's bass fishing now. That's how it goes in the grown up world when you don't win.
Yes, I have worked at USC as a matter of fact. I wasn't born yesterday, and I didn't just start posting here either. I might just know a little bit about what I'm talking about also.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
LOL. Good luck with this thread. People on this board like to bash our AD whenever we lose a game, but have no idea what an AD is responsible for. The flamers also couldn't name five AD's in the world, and the few they could name aren't leaving their current job for Columbia.

Truth is, AD's have very little to do with wins and losses. We have the right guy. If WM does his job, great! If he doesn't, whoever AD is will fire him and we'll be somewhat disappointed on how many established coaches actually want this job over others.
See Tom Herman/Justin Fuente/etc.

Only slam dunk hires over the last 3 AD's were Tanner and Spurrier. Truth is, Spurrier wanted to be in the SEC and only job that made sense was us. He was coming here regardless who AD was. Problem is, when you hire a coach on his last leg, it often doesn't end well. And it didn't.

Mark Kingston was one win from Omaha in his first year and some want to critcize him in an obvious rebuild in year 2?!? Wake up and get a dose of reality. He needs at least 4 years to show what he can do.
you cant argue with facts in here..the know it alls that think tanner is the problem will have none of that..matter of fact, they don't like tanner because he left the baseball program, they don't like Muschamp because he didn't win at florida and their Clemson buddies are ragging the hell out of them and they don't like Kingston because he aint tanner...does that about sum it up?

Reactions: rogue cock
It amazes me how so many on this board completely exonerate Ray Tanner from responsibility for the on-the-field success of his programs. He hires, manages and fires the coaches. Where else in employment is the boss not responsible for the performance of the folks that report to him/her. Come on. Apply some logic.

I fault Tanner for the back seat he took to Spurrier running our program into the ground more than I fault him for Mushcamp. I am nervous about WM's ability to be a success but also agree he has not been given enough time. This year is tough for him because we could be significantly improved as a team with not many more wins on the field. Not sure the fanbase will be ok with that.

The biggest dings on Tanner is him armchair watching the downfall of our program under Spurrier and the current dumpster fire situation with our once elite baseball program. Two VERY legitimate critiques of RT. I had grave concerns he was the right choice when he was hired with zero AD experience. Those concerns have grown after observing him for 7 years on the job.

Same here, Spurrier had the program right where we wanted it to be. With the right hire to replace Spurrier, we were set up for a long time. That's when Tanner completely failed in his duties. He let a top ten program turn to crap. He should have been prepared. It's true that he couldn't fire the HBC but he should have convinced him to step down.

Same here, Spurrier had the program right where we wanted it to be. With the right hire to replace Spurrier, we were set up for a long time. That's when Tanner completely failed in his duties. He let a top ten program turn to crap. He should have been prepared. It's true that he couldn't fire the HBC but he should have convinced him to step down.

This is my biggest issue with Tanner. We appeared totally unprepared for post spurrier, as if that was never going to happen.

This is my biggest issue with Tanner. We appeared totally unprepared for post spurrier, as if that was never going to happen.

To quote a great saying in basketball; "Don't get caught watching the paint dry".

Tanner got caught watching the paint dry.

Major league mistake by a rookie AD.

So, in your opinion Tanner was a slam dunk hire as AD? Please! He was the easy hire, not the best hire. Just like Chad was the easy hire and not the best hire as RTs replacement. Want an example of a slam dunk hire at USC? Try using Hyman instead.

Ray Tanner was the hire and still is. Holbrook had to get his shot because he deserved it and had proven himself to be a proven coach and recruiter. Holbrook's problem was he recruited players to play small ball and then didn't steal and obviously did not practice bunting. Two things that are needed for small ball.

Very few people have mentioned names for their choice. Still waiting. That was the intent of my question. Easy to say RT is the problem , I disagree however.

And Tanner basically did the same thing or very similar to our baseball program. Legit weak performances by the AD related to our two best mens programs.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Let's see. We wanted a homer A. D.. We've had 2. We did not like either and demanded they be fired.We wanted a professional AD. We had McGee a professional imo. We had the guy who went to A&M . Didn't like either one of them. Announcers. We had a professional after Bob. Did not like him. We wanted a homer many demanded. We have a homer. Few like him.

Gee, I hope he gives John Palms a call before he accepts the job:

"I wish I had known the importance of athletics (football) to a school like Carolina (SEC member)."

- John Palms

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Gee, I hope he gives John Palms a call before he accepts the job:

"I wish I had known the importance of athletics (football) to a school like Carolina (SEC member)."

- John Palms
Palms was a very good president who happened to think that physics was more important than athletics. You know what, IT IS.

Ray Tanner was the hire and still is. Holbrook had to get his shot because he deserved it and had proven himself to be a proven coach and recruiter. Holbrook's problem was he recruited players to play small ball and then didn't steal and obviously did not practice bunting. Two things that are needed for small ball.

Your reasoning is very interesting. Tanner was the right hire and Holbrook deserved it. Very, very interesting.

Palms was a very good president who happened to think that physics was more important than athletics. You know what, IT IS.

We can have BOTH! Palms admitted he was wrong on the matter of putting more emphasis on sports (he didn't think he put ENOUGH emphasis). We have got to stop this nonsense of mismanaging athletics (particularly football) and get it done right!

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that colleges and universities find themselves painted into a corner because they have allowed athletics to get out of control. Now there is no way to put the tooth paste back into the tube. There is too much debt on facilities to rein athletics in. They have to pay the debt and the only way is to be successful and draw the crowds and donors to pay the debt. Also to try to draw back athletes now would bring public disapproval If there was ever a case of the tail wagging the dog this is it. The most important purpose of a university is not athletics but the truth of the matter now it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT