ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina High School Football Playoffs

The vd capital of sc? ………drive east to Lancaster & sleep easier☺️
Off topic, for sure, but you and I had a conversation last year about eggnog and fruitcake. You recommended a brand of fruitcake I wasn’t familiar with. Do you remember what the name of it is?

Gray Collegiate eviscerating Silver Bluff 42-7 in the third quarter.
Their state championship was a forgone conclusion after they beat Abbeville. The Gaffney vs Dutch Fork game is one I’d like to see. They were scheduled to play during the season, but it was called off because of the tragic passing of the Dutch Fork player.

Off topic, for sure, but you and I had a conversation last year about eggnog and fruitcake. You recommended a brand of fruitcake I wasn’t familiar with. Do you remember what the name of it is?

Gawd, it’s Benson’s outa Bogart, Ga.

Look at the cake vs the rectangular cut. Slightly different in composition, makeup, ingredients?
Can only find it here in Ingles’s. (makes Clayton taste like cardboard), ……….reminds me of what my grandmas’ ladies club did in 60-70’s.

Now, nog is a different animal………best low fat nog I’ve found, hands down is Publix. Note: this yr only offering it in half gallon vs quart. Got one cooling in the refer.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
I thought that was Easley's title...back in the day, kids would go over to the other side of Greenville so as not to get caught....we called it at the time, "Sleezley"....it's much better now..lol

No, no, the Easley girls were ez, but clean. Too many snake handlers across the saluda for them not to be.

Now, Gaffney is another animal. Trust me I’ve done some investigative work & can’t find/figure out why the girls up there earned their mark……..my best guest, close to the Queen City & ez enforcement allowed the biz to thrive there??

Not too many years back, the rent for playing at WB was $56,000. The schools would rather have that money in their coffers (at the time of 4 classes and 8 teams playing, the rent would cost $7,000 per school, for example) and Benedict offered a good deal, can’t remember, maybe rent free if they could charge for parking and have concessions. If 20,000 fans show up for the games at $15 per, that’s $300,000. The SCHSL takes 20% off the top, leaving $240,000. Pay $60,000 for rent at Williams Brice (I’m sure it has increased) and you’re down to $180,000 divided by 10 schools. I don’t know what other expenses would be deducted. If you take a team and put them up for a night, say from Beaufort (2-3 hour drive?) and feed them 2-3-4 times and you transport the band and cheerleaders and all else, you will be lucky to break even for playing in a state championship game. And that’s if a good crowd shows up. The schools/teams that are hurting for budget would rather play a smaller venue and have their money for their programs. When the 1A and 2A pulled out (went to Benedict) now you divide that high rent by 6 schools, it’s even tougher. I think players would prefer the excitement of a packed house and Benedict does have good facilities.

$100,000 to rent Willy B for the day

• Wow
Reactions: Brace1
I thought that was Easley's title...back in the day, kids would go over to the other side of Greenville so as not to get caught....we called it at the time, "Sleezley"....it's much better now..lol
I still call Easley that and I call Pickens Hickens. Hickens County but you’re right it’s definitely gotten better there.

Southside Christian finishes off Bamberg-Ehrhardt 28-0 to capture the 1-A state football championship. Non-traditional high schools will win 40% of the available state public high school championships this year.

And now we await the Clash of the Titans.

Reactions: chief2791
Schools like gray shouldn't be allowed to compete in state championships.
It’s going to take a lot of heat from the general public before anything changes. I hate it for Silver Bluff (Aiken) Bamberg and the other public schools that were eliminated by these all star private schools that participate in the public school playoffs.

But even the other public schools have their recruiters. Dutch Fork has had better recruiting seasons than my Gamecocks lately.

It’s going to take a lot of heat from the general public before anything changes. I hate it for Silver Bluff (Aiken) Bamberg and the other public schools that were eliminated by these all star private schools that participate in the public school playoffs.

But even the other public schools have their recruiters. Dutch Fork has had better recruiting seasons than my Gamecocks lately.
I’m with you.

Several years later We beat northwestern at home. I jumped on the field and ran our giant flag through their post game team meeting. I was almost expelled.

Now 21-0 Southside Christian in the third. Another non-traditional school showing out in the public school playoffs.
From what I’m reading, this is their 3rd State Title since 2015? Program began in 2006. Time to add them in the traditional power category.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT