ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier speaks the truth

coop#

Nov 7, 1999
Later in the interview, Spurrier was asked about Clemson and Dabo Swinney, who has led the Tigers to two national championships in the past three seasons. Spurrier is very familiar Swinney after coaching against him while leading South Carolina.

“Well, he’s recruited extremely well, and his players, they don’t get in trouble,” Spurrier said of Swinney’s teams. “They follow the rules. You know, he doesn’t have any bad apples there. He makes sure he doesn’t bring them in. I remember several years ago one of the guys missed curfew at the bowl trip they were at and he was home the next day. Dabo ran him, he said we got rules and we’re going to enforce them. Simple as that. He’s done a super job recruiting the nation, and the fan base there, they pack 80,000 plus every game at their home field. It’s hard to find a ticket at Clemson.”

Spurrier later noted the high expectations at Clemson as well.

“They think big, I tell you that, Mike. They don’t think, ‘Oh man, we will be lucky to win one.’ Now, they think they’re supposed to win championships, and national championships even now.”

Later in the interview, Spurrier was asked about Clemson and Dabo Swinney, who has led the Tigers to two national championships in the past three seasons. Spurrier is very familiar Swinney after coaching against him while leading South Carolina.

“Well, he’s recruited extremely well, and his players, they don’t get in trouble,” Spurrier said of Swinney’s teams. “They follow the rules. You know, he doesn’t have any bad apples there. He makes sure he doesn’t bring them in. I remember several years ago one of the guys missed curfew at the bowl trip they were at and he was home the next day. Dabo ran him, he said we got rules and we’re going to enforce them. Simple as that. He’s done a super job recruiting the nation, and the fan base there, they pack 80,000 plus every game at their home field. It’s hard to find a ticket at Clemson.”

“They think big, I tell you that, Mike. They don’t think, ‘Oh man, we will be lucky to win one.’ Now, they think they’re supposed to win championships, and national championships even now.”

We just have to give credit where credit is due, The Ole Ball Coach is a straight shooter for sure. They have discipline and run a tight ship and recruit guys that aren’t going to get in trouble because they can. I wish we weren’t at a point where we’ll take them regardless as long as they are good.

I wish we were looking to win multiple sec Championships 1st and then work towards the playoffs. They have it all right now and we are hoping to get there but we hope they fail more. So we can catch up some and they fall some. It’s going to be tough for a while or until we get a coach that wins.

This season is going to be tough on us. I hope we win 7 but we could not make a bowl this year. I’m always positive but it looks a little bleak to be honest.

Link???

Reactions: humble servant
We just have to give credit where credit is due, The Ole Ball Coach is a straight shooter for sure. They have discipline and run a tight ship and recruit guys that aren’t going to get in trouble because they can. I wish we weren’t at a point where we’ll take them regardless as long as they are good.

I wish we were looking to win multiple sec Championships 1st and then work towards the playoffs. They have it all right now and we are hoping to get there but we hope they fail more. So we can catch up some and they fall some. It’s going to be tough for a while or until we get a coach that wins.

This season is going to be tough on us. I hope we win 7 but we could not make a bowl this year. I’m always positive but it looks a little bleak to be honest.
No way we win more than five games

Hate to say it but get ready for a FSU/90’s era longevity run from Dabos team. Basically set up the same way it was for Bobby.
Had I known our 5peat would be followed by this.
I may have forfeited that period to do the same to Clemson’s current period. It’s sickening!

Unless va tech, Miami, and FSU rebound, there is no competition for them. Sickening

You gotta love the shameless plug though, kinda like Georgia, OSU, UF, great facilities, but gotta keep improving that recruiting, to get to the top, just leave it it at that. Now Clemmons, they’re awesome!!! Dabo runs the cleanest, most disciplined program ever!! Hell, what would Spur know about discipline? His players for several years were discipline problems, and even the coaching staff had little at times, and didn’t even like each other (or do their jobs) the last couple of years. We know how it really is up there, Dabo the arguing speeder, Lakip way past the gateway drugs, Jamie Cumbie beating a student within an inch of their life, DeAndre McTowelrod, BUT, winning trumps EVERYTHING. Now recruits Mamas see this and think, I love that my baby won’t get into any trouble!!!

I think it’s the full of $&@%ness that annoys me the most. Oh, ex-players don’t matter I guess.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th.../acc/clemson-university/article226797979.html

Last edited:

If we win five or less it’s time for Champ to take the train . Losses to anybody other than Bama , Clemson , UGA , and TAMU are completely unacceptable. If UT and UF are already ahead of us after basically rebuilding then we are failing . Honestly if we go 2-9 I think he’s safe because Tanner will hide behind the schedule . If Next year is a struggle he will use the “Starting a new QB” excuse . If he’s still here after that we might as well come to terms that the Spurrier success was an aberration and our program is just happy to participate. Champ can change all this by stepping up and knocking off some big boy teams this year . He’s gotta show he can do that .

SOS is full of SOS, taters get in a lot of trouble, it is just covered up with the help of the local yokels. Why all of the love for Dabado from SOS? That B1tch left us in a dumpster by not recruiting for several years then skipping town when the taters were ready to pounce on us.

Thanks for retiring early SOS. So great you advertised it and killed our recruiting. I wish I could celebrate the man for what he did for us, but what really hurts is what he did to us.

I think the Clemson players are pretty good guys. Just acknowledge it and move on. Maybe some stuff is covered up.

At least Carolina doesn't deal with those issues anymore either. Holtz's teams were embarassing.

Clemson's success is a tough pill to swallow, however it also helps us in some ways. First and foremost, CU showed everyone a school from SC can compete and win at the highest level. Second, they raised the bar and I fully expect USC to meet the challenge, hopefully sooner than later.

I've always had the opinion that beating a strong CU team is far better than beating a weak to average CU team.

Kudos to them, let's get after them now!

Wish Spurrier would do us all a favor and just not talk about Clemson. Doesn’t have anything to do with him. He doesn’t do that with FSU or Georgia... it’s not that big of a deal. But would be nice if he’d just pass on praising them.

That is the thing about SOS, he loves to talk. He doesn’t feel any where near the same attachment to this university like he does for UF, and i get that, it is his alma mater. But he raves about Duke if you give him a chance, and i just do not see that with this program.

Thanks for retiring early SOS. So great you advertised it and killed our recruiting. I wish I could celebrate the man for what he did for us, but what really hurts is what he did to us.
If Ray had accepted his resignation 2 years and then 1 year earlier, we would not be where we are now. Ray does not want to have to hire a new coach now, just as he did not want to back during Spurrier's last 2 years.
Spurrier will talk down us until he passses. Sorry, but I blame Tanner for that.

Reactions: MJDaGod6Rings
Unless va tech, Miami, and FSU rebound, there is no competition for them. Sickening
Why not us?

Somebody said above that Clemson's current success is looking like Bowden's run at FSU, especially when they had no competition in the ACC and ran roughshod through that conference. Except that through all those years of dominance, FSU only one two national titles because, more often than not, another elite in-state out-of-conference team beat them. During the golden age of FSU football, Bowden had to deal with 2 elite opponents in his own state. I'm ready for us to give Clemson an elite in-state team to deal with every year. I don't think there's going to be any serious competition for them within their conference.

Damn, I miss the good ole days when we all hated Clemson and would never say anything nice about them. This Clemson penis envy is hard to take. Guess I'm old school. Go Gamecocks!

I hate them because they are redneck scum, they cheat at will and eat ice cream (I am lactose intolerant) screw those sheep headers!

Why not us?

Somebody said above that Clemson's current success is looking like Bowden's run at FSU, especially when they had no competition in the ACC and ran roughshod through that conference. Except that through all those years of dominance, FSU only one two national titles because, more often than not, another elite in-state out-of-conference team beat them. During the golden age of FSU football, Bowden had to deal with 2 elite opponents in his own state. I'm ready for us to give Clemson an elite in-state team to deal with every year. I don't think there's going to be any serious competition for them within their conference.

I agree but we need the right leadership. I hope I’m proven totally wrong but I don’t think we have it currently.

Baloney. Clemmons players don't get in trouble???? They are all shielded from any unless tested for ostarine or maybe cocaine like their kicker did.

For some reason I smell sarcasm in Spurrier's comments

USCALUMNI

Why are posts like this on our board???? And why does anyone care about what SOS has to say about Clemson??? Yea, I’m sour on both topics.

I don’t. Except that I meant it 100% when I said a week or so that SOS still has more pull in his pinkie than Dabo does, and college football still misses him greatly. I’m not naive enough to think his words still don’t have influence. Recruits are as easily influenced at 17 as they were when they were 5, so they think, even USC’s former HC loves Dabo’s program. What has he ever said about Muschamp? I guess he said he could be the winningest USC coach ever, but he’s already has the most wins ever in his first 3 years, and the fan base is nowhere near satisfied overall imo, not if you read this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: CliffordII
I don’t. Except that I meant it 100% when I said a week or so that SOS still has more pull in his pinkie than Dabo does, and college football still misses him greatly. I’m not naive enough to think his words still don’t have influence. Recruits are as easily influenced at 17 as they were when they were 5, so they think, even USC’s former HC loves Dabo’s program. What has he ever said about Muschamp? I guess he said he could be the winningest USC coach ever, but he’s already has the most wins ever in his first 3 years, but the fan base is nowhere near satisfied overall imo, not if you read this board.
He probably still blames Will for bringing down his beloved Gators. As for his record here, I doubt he cares. In his mind he retired 2 years, before he walked away and forced Tanner's hand to do something.

Reactions: lostcock
SOS is full of SOS, taters get in a lot of trouble, it is just covered up with the help of the local yokels. Why all of the love for Dabado from SOS? That B1tch left us in a dumpster by not recruiting for several years then skipping town when the taters were ready to pounce on us.
the coach that led us to the best time ever in Carolina history...maybe if we had been a little more patient with sos, the would have rebounded, reloaded the staff and then reloaded the team...he did it once...why not again...

If we win five or less it’s time for Champ to take the train . Losses to anybody other than Bama , Clemson , UGA , and TAMU are completely unacceptable. If UT and UF are already ahead of us after basically rebuilding then we are failing . Honestly if we go 2-9 I think he’s safe because Tanner will hide behind the schedule . If Next year is a struggle he will use the “Starting a new QB” excuse . If he’s still here after that we might as well come to terms that the Spurrier success was an aberration and our program is just happy to participate. Champ can change all this by stepping up and knocking off some big boy teams this year . He’s gotta show he can do that .
If we go less than 5-6 Tanner and his whole
house needs to go, except Martin et al.

Why are posts like this on our board???? And why does anyone care about what SOS has to say about Clemson??? Yea, I’m sour on both topics.
Agreed...why can't SOS just shut up?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT