ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier speaks the truth

We used to love it when HBC spoke the truth. Now we're asking ourselves why Steve Spurrier is talking. That's who he is and what he does. Always has been that way.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Dabo's plan started in 2008 to hear him tell it. Last 3 years of the 5, Dabo was winning 9-11 games. He just could not beat us and FSU back then.
Coincidentally both programs went through coaching changes. To me, Clemson's run is not so magical. It's simple, the Acc went to hell and their two rivals started sucking at the same time. Add to the fact that it is 0 doubt that Dabo cheats in recruiting, you have your recipe for success. They probably got lucky to beat Bama that first time, but they do deserve respect for dismantling them last season.

Difference between them and us is even when they sucked they still thought they would win a championship every year. We hope for 6 wins.

I would say the difference even when they sucked is the FANBASE expected to win championships. Biggest difference between us and them is they don’t settle for OK . We embrace it . I love my team and my school but it’s a damn fact . I am 100% convinced that if LSU demolished Clemson in the crazy bowl comeback that Dabo would have been let go . Losing to SOS constantly and then getting blistered in a bowl game might have done him in . Even in the Tommy Bowden days their fanbase expected a team that could compete nationally . Hell if Tommy Bowden would have had the same record here we would have named a street after him . Sucks but it is what it is

I would say the difference even when they sucked is the FANBASE expected to win championships. Biggest difference between us and them is they don’t settle for OK . We embrace it . I love my team and my school but it’s a damn fact . I am 100% convinced that if LSU demolished Clemson in the crazy bowl comeback that Dabo would have been let go . Losing to SOS constantly and then getting blistered in a bowl game might have done him in . Even in the Tommy Bowden days their fanbase expected a team that could compete nationally . Hell if Tommy Bowden would have had the same record here we would have named a street after him . Sucks but it is what it is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Orange_Bowl

Things change. Clemson won’t stay on top. We’ll beat Clemson again. It’s just hard to accept where things are now when you bleed garnet. Just keep cheering and hoping. Things always change.

Not sure we “embrace”OK,but that’s what it’s been for decades,as a Gamecock fan-OK,or worse.Went back to record vs Clemtech, starting in 1976,year after the exquisite Jeff Grantz led 56-20 smackdown.Since then,series record: taters 24 wins,us 8.Then the glorious Spurrier blip on the radar at 5-0.Now back to 0-5,unfortunately familiar territory.Despite that fact,I’ve always enjoyed following my team,though results not often to my liking.And I have no desire to make myself miserable if Clemson’s program is superior to ours,regarding success.Basically the story for my adult life,and am still a Gamecock.
And as far as Spurrier is concerned,I have only feelings of thanks to him,for doing what no USC coach has done here.

I would sell my soul...well, almost to just win 1 National championship. We can’t even win our division. We have never demanded anything as a fanbase or alumni base. They do up in dem hills. I don’t know where the crazy excuses come from but we have the market cornered. I can’t imagine what I would be like if we ever won a National championship.

Reactions: MJDaGod6Rings
Spurrier won seven conference championships and one national championship. And he quit.

So in this case a quitter did indeed win.
Then he came here and quit two tears before he left, without notice; leaving recruiting and a whole season in shambles.
And I know he had two 11 win seasons here, but the way he quit spoiled his legacy and our football program for years.
Muschamp is just now clawing our way out of the cellar Spurrier dug for us.

If Ray had accepted his resignation 2 years and then 1 year earlier, we would not be where we are now. Ray does not want to have to hire a new coach now, just as he did not want to back during Spurrier's last 2 years.
Spurrier will talk down us until he passses. Sorry, but I blame Tanner for that.
we need a new ad, tanner is a joke as a ad.

Reactions: cocknjax
Then he came here and quit two tears before he left, without notice; leaving recruiting and a whole season in shambles.
And I know he had two 11 win seasons here, but the way he quit spoiled his legacy and our football program for years.
Muschamp is just now clawing our way out of the cellar Spurrier dug for us.
I don't understand this way of thinking. You say that Muschamp is clawing his way out of the cellar, but his overall record to date is right on par with our historical averages. Spurrier is the one who was the only outlier in our program's history. Joe Mo had one 10 win season, and that was it for our program. Spurrier gave us three 11 win seasons in a row.

Did Spurrier stay on too long? Yes, but you can thank Tanner as much for that when he talked Spurrier out of retiring. I think it's ludicrous to act like he's erased from the history books here because it ended badly. We won 3 games his final season, then 6 games, then 9 games, then back to 7. That's Gamecock football in a nutshell for over 100 years, and it's been a lot worse before than that.

Spurrier is the only coach to ever make us a legit contender and the only coach to assert dominance over our rivals. Nobody else has done jack compared to him, and a whole lot of other coaches lost plenty of games before he quit recruiting well.

No way we win more than five games
You do realize we play 12 games, don't you? Now let's think about this. If we win half of the games we are scheduled to play, that would give us how many wins? Six. Right? And if we when 3/4 of those 12 games, how many wins would we have? Now that's 75% of 12. The answer is 8.

Coincidentally both programs went through coaching changes. To me, Clemson's run is not so magical. It's simple, the Acc went to hell and their two rivals started sucking at the same time. Add to the fact that it is 0 doubt that Dabo cheats in recruiting, you have your recipe for success. They probably got lucky to beat Bama that first time, but they do deserve respect for dismantling them last season.

You could also say Bama got lucky to beat Clemson in 2015, remember the onside kick?

FSU wiped the floor with Clemson in 2013, but Clemson was legit by 2015. Who knows how long it will last. Nothing lasts forever.

Not sure we “embrace”OK,but that’s what it’s been for decades,as a Gamecock fan-OK,or worse.Went back to record vs Clemtech, starting in 1976,year after the exquisite Jeff Grantz led 56-20 smackdown.Since then,series record: taters 24 wins,us 8.Then the glorious Spurrier blip on the radar at 5-0.Now back to 0-5,unfortunately familiar territory.Despite that fact,I’ve always enjoyed following my team,though results not often to my liking.And I have no desire to make myself miserable if Clemson’s program is superior to ours,regarding success.Basically the story for my adult life,and am still a Gamecock.
And as far as Spurrier is concerned,I have only feelings of thanks to him,for doing what no USC coach has done here.

Amen Brother !!! Without Spurrier this program is what it has been for 100 years ... a blip on the radar nationally . Here’s the problem , no other fanbase supports a mediocre product as passionately as all of us , myself included . Go to Wake Forest , Georgia Tech , Vandy , etc etc and see what the stands look like . Why would the BOT and AD make waves when that Stadium is packed and they are selling merchandise like Popeye’s Chicken sandwiches right now no matter what our record is . I’ve been to Tuscaloosa in the Shula days before Saban and it was crickets and some of those were 8-4 seasons . Look at FSU last year . My buddy has been a season ticket holder for 30+ years and he said it looks like a juco crowd in Talley . The reason we have no tradition or long term success is because we are ok with ok and wait until next year . Honest question ..... if Spurrier would have hung on for 4 or 5 more years like Bowden at FSU and finished around .500 every year do you think there is any way in hell Ray would have fired him??? No freaking way . Spurrier could have coached here until they had to wheel him out of the locker room . Watch what happens if Saban has a few 8-4 seasons . Les Miles would have gotten a building named after him in Columbia , they ran him out of town in Baton Rouge . That’s the root of our problem .

That is the thing about SOS, he loves to talk. He doesn’t feel any where near the same attachment to this university like he does for UF, and i get that, it is his alma mater. But he raves about Duke if you give him a chance, and i just do not see that with this program.

Spurrier knows the impact of what he says before he speaks it. After Dabo took PEDs to the playoff last season, you would think he would avoid commenting on Dabo and Clemson since he had a career that condemned cheaters and it was him as Florida's coach that played a role in getting that Mike Dubose staff fired at Clemson that Dabo was on.

While Im on a rant here’s an argument I hear over and over .. We have no tradition or history of success so it’s unfair to compare us to the Bama’s , OSU’s , Auburn’s etc etc etc . LSU was a middle of the road team much like us until Saban took over and essentially built a Powerhouse . They were losing recruits to Texas , Bama , FSU and Saban Locked the state down . UF was very much the same before Spurrier built the Dynasty in Gainesville . Notre Dame had not been relevant in decades before Lou turned them around . Bowden at FSU , McCartney at Colorado during the 90s , even Pete Carroll and Jim Tressell rebuilding Southern Cal and OSU the list goes on and on . We can’t just fall back on the excuse . Clemson’s last Title was three decades ago . Dabo, love him or hate him to his credit built the program . Is Muschamp the kind of transcendent coach that can build a program from ashes ?? Jury is still out . He works like a madman , he builds top notch facilities, he is raising the talent level ; a lot of great things . Just don’t know if I’m sold on him being an Empire Builder like Saban , Spurrier , etc etc and I think that is what it will take here . If we would have hired Spurrier out of Duke before UF got to him , who knows where we would be now .

When Dabo needed a DC, they went out and got among the best in the game and paid big $$. That move is what turned the tide for them as a program.

When we needed an OC, we promoted an unproven position coach from within.

Not saying McClendon won't work out, but it just highlights the difference in philosophy.

We seem to ask "what can we do with what we've got?" while Clemson asked "how much will it take to get what we need?"

When Dabo needed a DC, they went out and got among the best in the game and paid big $$. That move is what turned the tide for them as a program.

When we needed an OC, we promoted an unproven position coach from within.

Not saying McClendon won't work out, but it just highlights the difference in philosophy.

We seem to ask "what can we do with what we've got?" while Clemson asked "how much will it take to get what we need?"

Totally agree . When Muschamp got canned we should have made him the highest paid DC in history and who knows what would have happened . I know he had Auburn ties but Money talks . Also if Tanner REALLY meant what he said about Muschamp “Being the Guy” why not bring him in and let him learn how to score points from the greatest offensive mind in College football history and when Spurrier hangs up the visor we got our coach . Spurrier hated recruiting , Muschamp excels at it . Seemed like a perfect plan . Can’t imagine after Whammy’s revolving door defense in 2014 that Spurrier would have not been on board . Guess we will never know .

That is the thing about SOS, he loves to talk. He doesn’t feel any where near the same attachment to this university like he does for UF, and i get that, it is his alma mater. But he raves about Duke if you give him a chance, and i just do not see that with this program.

Before Spurrier makes a public statement that Dabo follows the rules, he should go check the Will Grier file on his PED suspension and check how Florida handled and contained it then compare it to Clemson and Dabo's investigation and defense. They never found a source and let the players attend the College Football Playoff. The rule breakers with the PEDs in their urine were not sent home in that case and the Clemson defense of the players is one that will open the door for more PED useage in college football.

You can listen to the interview on a Mike Bianchi podcast.

It is strange hearing Spurrier say teams need top 5 recruiting to win big. When he was winning big at Florida he always made a point to talk about how other teams he was beating were always stated to have recruited better players than him.

Before Spurrier makes a public statement that Dabo follows the rules, he should go check the Will Grier file on his PED suspension and check how Florida handled and contained it then compare it to Clemson and Dabo's investigation and defense. They never found a source and let the players attend the College Football Playoff. The rule breakers with the PEDs in their urine were not sent home in that case and the Clemson defense of the players is one that will open the door for more PED useage in college football.

It is strange hearing Spurrier say teams need top 5 recruiting to win big. When he was winning big at Florida he always made a point to talk about how other teams he was beating were always stated to have recruited better players than him.

In his defense, a lot has changed with recruiting and recruiting rankings since the early/mid 90s. It's far from an exact science, but it's light years ahead of where it was 25 years ago.

At least for the last 10-15 years (maybe more) every single team that has won a national title has had at least one Top 10 class in the four classes prior to winning. Most have had multiple and most have had classes in the top 5.

Bottom line: if you even want a shot at a title, you need a top 10 class.

Reactions: agantt
In his defense, a lot has changed with recruiting and recruiting rankings since the early/mid 90s. It's far from an exact science, but it's light years ahead of where it was 25 years ago.

At least for the last 10-15 years (maybe more) every single team that has won a national title has had at least one Top 10 class in the four classes prior to winning. Most have had multiple and most have had classes in the top 5.

Bottom line: if you even want a shot at a title, you need a top 10 class.

And in Clemson's case, PEDs.

Elite pass rusher, multiple elite WRs, elite QB, physical RB with breakaway speed, Physical OL/DL with depth, Cover CBs with lenght, skill, that can takcle will get your there. Don't know if that will get a top 10 class but it will win. Plus you can get those players in 2 classes. To me if you overlap the best players in 2 consecutive classes and it meets those needs, they can win big.

I don't understand this way of thinking. You say that Muschamp is clawing his way out of the cellar, but his overall record to date is right on par with our historical averages. Spurrier is the one who was the only outlier in our program's history. Joe Mo had one 10 win season, and that was it for our program. Spurrier gave us three 11 win seasons in a row.

Did Spurrier stay on too long? Yes, but you can thank Tanner as much for that when he talked Spurrier out of retiring. I think it's ludicrous to act like he's erased from the history books here because it ended badly. We won 3 games his final season, then 6 games, then 9 games, then back to 7. That's Gamecock football in a nutshell for over 100 years, and it's been a lot worse before than that.

Spurrier is the only coach to ever make us a legit contender and the only coach to assert dominance over our rivals. Nobody else has done jack compared to him, and a whole lot of other coaches lost plenty of games before he quit recruiting well.
Muschamp inherited a 3-9 team from the prior SOS year,
Went 6-7 his first year.
Went 9-4 his 2nd year.
Went back to 7-6 his third.
If he is not still clawing his way out of the cellar what would you call it? Overall 22-17.
I already stated my factual points on Spurrier’s RECORD at USC, JUST USC, not anywhere else.
I reiterate, he quit two years before he left, the record proves it.

Quitters never win.
We are the only ones that will say that. The rest of the Country will always see him as a winner. And all of our opponents will say he was smart to leave.
Spurrier taught the NFL (Washington) that he would quit on a team when he wanted to resign. Dan Snyder, Redskins owner watched him not coach his team anymore. A full year, over last half of one and the start of the next season.
When he wanted to resign, Ray said NO and we paid for it over his last 2 years. Not saying Spurrier did wrong or right, just saying that is what happened. Wonder how long it will take Ray next time around.

Went 6-7 his first year.
Went 9-4 his 2nd year.
If he is not still clawing his way out of the cellar what would you call it? Overall 22-17.
I already stated my factual points on Spurrier’s RECORD at USC, JUST USC, not anywhere else.

It's been noted before, but we haven't really beaten anyone of note. Champ has more or less broken even. I think it's been stated on here that he's won every game we've been favored and lost the others. Hasn't beaten a ranked team.

Muschamp was at Fla. when the Grier incident took place.
It will accomplish nothing good to dig into many coaches past. Fla., Texas and Auburn skeletons could come back to bite us.

Muschamp was at Fla. when the Grier incident took place.
It will accomplish nothing good to dig into many coaches past. Fla., Texas and Auburn skeletons could come back to bite us.

Muschamp was gone. It was Jim McElwain and Will G. was suspended for a year by the NCAA for taking an over the counter weight gain product. He was not kicked off the team, he decided to leave on his own.

Went 6-7 his first year.
Went 9-4 his 2nd year.

Muschamp has beaten absolutely no team with a pulse. That 9-4 record was built on wins over Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas. All 3 were in near revolt against their coaching staffs.

Muschamp has beaten absolutely no team with a pulse. That 9-4 record was built on wins over Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas. All 3 were in near revolt against their coaching staffs.
Yeah I have to agree although I'll give him the Michigan win. My biggest problem is the defense he puts out. Doesn't scare anybody. Wasn't he sold as some king of defensive genius?

If we win five or less it’s time for Champ to take the train . Losses to anybody other than Bama , Clemson , UGA , and TAMU are completely unacceptable. If UT and UF are already ahead of us after basically rebuilding then we are failing . Honestly if we go 2-9 I think he’s safe because Tanner will hide behind the schedule . If Next year is a struggle he will use the “Starting a new QB” excuse . If he’s still here after that we might as well come to terms that the Spurrier success was an aberration and our program is just happy to participate. Champ can change all this by stepping up and knocking off some big boy teams this year . He’s gotta show he can do that .

No way we lose to Florida if they resemble the team that played Saturday, if we do we need our you know what spanked!! Florida & Miami both sucked, if Miami had a QB that could throw the ball within 3 seconds they would have won easily because of their defense.

No way we lose to Florida if they resemble the team that played Saturday, if we do we need our you know what spanked!! Florida & Miami both sucked, if Miami had a QB that could throw the ball within 3 seconds they would have won easily because of their defense.

Yeah that same Florida team that beat us last year got destroyed by Missouri in the Swamp the week before .

Reactions: humble servant
I never said he did.
If you reread my post and see that I was responding specifically to another poster,
about SOS and Muschamp. I do not believe Muschamp is a game day coach, nor do I believe he can right the ship at the USC!
I truly hope I am wrong, but maybe Ive been around this program too long.

It's been noted before, but we haven't really beaten anyone of note. Champ has more or less broken even. I think it's been stated on here that he's won every game we've been favored and lost the others. Hasn't beaten a ranked team.
I agree with your first sentence. The record shows you are about right on the rest.
I wasn’t boasting Champs mediocre Record.

We are the only ones that will say that. The rest of the Country will always see him as a winner. And all of our opponents will say he was smart to leave.
Spurrier taught the NFL (Washington) that he would quit on a team when he wanted to resign. Dan Snyder, Redskins owner watched him not coach his team anymore. A full year, over last half of one and the start of the next season.
When he wanted to resign, Ray said NO and we paid for it over his last 2 years. Not saying Spurrier did wrong or right, just saying that is what happened. Wonder how long it will take Ray next time around.
I agree with you for the most part. Further let me stir a new pot while I am at it.
I wonder if our new Pres. will encourage Mr Tanner to look around?
And give Martin a raise?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT