ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier speaks the truth

No way we lose to Florida if they resemble the team that played Saturday, if we do we need our you know what spanked!! Florida & Miami both sucked, if Miami had a QB that could throw the ball within 3 seconds they would have won easily because of their defense.

What if we resemble our last game?

Muschamp inherited a 3-9 team from the prior SOS year,
Went 6-7 his first year.
Went 9-4 his 2nd year.
Went back to 7-6 his third.
If he is not still clawing his way out of the cellar what would you call it? Overall 22-17.
I already stated my factual points on Spurrier’s RECORD at USC, JUST USC, not anywhere else.
I reiterate, he quit two years before he left, the record proves it.

I am not disputing that Spurrier was trending downward and stayed too long. As I mentioned, we can blame Tanner for that as well.

I'm just disagreeing with the idea that we should abandon our love of Spurrier and all he did here because it ended disappointingly. We went 3-9 the year HBC left, but it's not like he's the first coach that had a bad record one year or even multiple years. Pretty much every decade of Carolina football has featured multiple bad seasons, so I don't know why you would have so much acrimony for the guy who is unquestionably our greatest coach by a country mile.

Let's face it...we've been trying to claw out of the cellar for the better part of 120 years. I guess I don't understand why you're singling out Spurrier.

We just have to give credit where credit is due, The Ole Ball Coach is a straight shooter for sure. They have discipline and run a tight ship and recruit guys that aren’t going to get in trouble because they can. I wish we weren’t at a point where we’ll take them regardless as long as they are good.

I wish we were looking to win multiple sec Championships 1st and then work towards the playoffs. They have it all right now and we are hoping to get there but we hope they fail more. So we can catch up some and they fall some. It’s going to be tough for a while or until we get a coach that wins.

This season is going to be tough on us. I hope we win 7 but we could not make a bowl this year. I’m always positive but it looks a little bleak to be honest.

JC, get a grip.

I am not disputing that Spurrier was trending downward and stayed too long. As I mentioned, we can blame Tanner for that as well.

I'm just disagreeing with the idea that we should abandon our love of Spurrier and all he did here because it ended disappointingly. We went 3-9 the year HBC left, but it's not like he's the first coach that had a bad record one year or even multiple years. Pretty much every decade of Carolina football has featured multiple bad seasons, so I don't know why you would have so much acrimony for the guy who is unquestionably our greatest coach by a country mile.

Let's face it...we've been trying to claw out of the cellar for the better part of 120 years. I guess I don't understand why you're singling out Spurrier.

It'd be kind of like being married to a girl for 10 years and having some amazing times and making incredible memories, only to find out part way through your 11th year that she'd been sleeping with your best friend for the past 2 years. The last actions would likely outweigh all the previous good ones.

It'd be kind of like being married to a girl for 10 years and having some amazing times and making incredible memories, only to find out part way through your 11th year that she'd been sleeping with your best friend for the past 2 years. The last actions would likely outweigh all the previous good ones.
My, my, my.
That right there is a Dayum good retort!

I don't understand this way of thinking. You say that Muschamp is clawing his way out of the cellar, but his overall record to date is right on par with our historical averages. Spurrier is the one who was the only outlier in our program's history. Joe Mo had one 10 win season, and that was it for our program. Spurrier gave us three 11 win seasons in a row.

Did Spurrier stay on too long? Yes, but you can thank Tanner as much for that when he talked Spurrier out of retiring. I think it's ludicrous to act like he's erased from the history books here because it ended badly. We won 3 games his final season, then 6 games, then 9 games, then back to 7. That's Gamecock football in a nutshell for over 100 years, and it's been a lot worse before than that.

Spurrier is the only coach to ever make us a legit contender and the only coach to assert dominance over our rivals. Nobody else has done jack compared to him, and a whole lot of other coaches lost plenty of games before he quit recruiting well.
Tired of this crap! I know for a fact that Tanner only attempted to talk Spurrier out of retiring once....Spurrier's last year when he quit mid season. Some are simply looking for scapegoats....other than Spurrier....to blame our decline on. All of it rests squarely on Spurrier's shoulders. Tanner is not it.

Why am I singling out SOS? Because he happens to be the Last one to stick it to us.
Good gosh did you expect me to stay up all night to list them all?

Wrong. You can not blame Tanner for that. Spurrier....and if you want to add his wife you can....are solely the ones to blame. Period. Only time Tanner tried to convince Spurrier to stay was to finish out the year he quit mid-season.

Tired of this crap! I know for a fact that Tanner only attempted to talk Spurrier out of retiring once....Spurrier's last year when he quit mid season. Some are simply looking for scapegoats....other than Spurrier....to blame our decline on. All of it rests squarely on Spurrier's shoulders. Tanner is not it.

I really don't get it. In his myriad of interviews since stepping down, Spurrier has repeatedly said HE let things get out of control. HE failed to hire good assistants. HE failed to give the necessary attention to recruiting. HE lost control of the team. I think the Spurrier apologists merely see those statements as him sacrificially taking the bullet for things that really weren't his fault.

It seems that some are just happy that Spurrier showed you can win big here. Yes, he absolutely showed you can win at a high level here, but he was negligent in doing what was necessary to maintain that success. So, really, what good is it in the end?

Spurrier and Swinney are the tortoise and the hare. While Spurrier was out golfing and having a good time while resting on the laurels of his success, Dabo used the defeats as motivation to get better. And now he's won more titles than Spurrier. It's a cautionary tale if there ever was one.

It seems that some are just happy that Spurrier showed you can win big here. Yes, he absolutely showed you can win at a high level here, but he was negligent in doing what was necessary to maintain that success. So, really, what good is it in the end?

What "good" were the only three 11 win seasons in our history? What "good" was the only five bomb win streak over Clemson in our history?

You guys have every right to be angry about how it ended, but don't act like that in any way outweighs the highs that Spurrier brought us. He brought us highs that we never sniffed in over 100 years. It ended badly and returned us right back to the same level every other coach in Carolina history has kept us at, including Muschamp.

Nobody is apologizing for how Spurrier quit. Newsflash....that's a chance you take when you bring in an older coach way past his prime like we did with him and Lou. That said, HBC gave us some magic that NOBODY in our history has ever given us. If he took it away in the end, then so be it. Don't act like he put us below our normal place in the pecking order on his way out, though. And for god's sake he shouldn't be brought up at all with relation to Muschamp entering year FOUR.

After reading the other thread about Sparky Woods, then scanning this thread, I think I have it figured out. If you're a nice guy, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, our fans will commend you. If you have success at USC, with the most wins and you beat your rival five times in a row, if you make a poor decision and step down, you're a dirt bag.

Glad I figured that out.

What "good" were the only three 11 win seasons in our history? What "good" was the only five bomb win streak over Clemson in our history?

You guys have every right to be angry about how it ended, but don't act like that in any way outweighs the highs that Spurrier brought us. He brought us highs that we never sniffed in over 100 years. It ended badly and returned us right back to the same level every other coach in Carolina history has kept us at, including Muschamp.

Nobody is apologizing for how Spurrier quit. Newsflash....that's a chance you take when you bring in an older coach way past his prime like we did with him and Lou. That said, HBC gave us some magic that NOBODY in our history has ever given us. If he took it away in the end, then so be it. Don't act like he put us below our normal place in the pecking order on his way out, though. And for god's sake he shouldn't be brought up at all with relation to Muschamp entering year FOUR.

In sports, success is only good/meaningful if you build off it. Fond memories don't amount to much.

What should be especially maddening to fans is that Spurrier proved he could do it here...then he just quit doing it. It'd be one thing if even he was unable to turn us around...join the list of every other coach who has been here. But he did show you can win at a high level here and then just stopped doing what was necessary to win.

By the very nature of things, sports is "what have you done for me lately."

Fond memories don't amount to much lol.

If Carolina football fans were dependent upon "what have you done for me lately" then they would have bulldozed Willy B 50 years ago. We aren't exactly Duke basketball or Bama football. There never has been a "lately" except for when HBC was here.

If you guys want to hate Spurrier and ignore that he's by far our greatest coach then eat your hearts out. I guess we have the future with Will Muschamp to look forward to now. Eyeroll

Last edited:
Later in the interview, Spurrier was asked about Clemson and Dabo Swinney, who has led the Tigers to two national championships in the past three seasons. Spurrier is very familiar Swinney after coaching against him while leading South Carolina.

“Well, he’s recruited extremely well, and his players, they don’t get in trouble,” Spurrier said of Swinney’s teams. “They follow the rules. You know, he doesn’t have any bad apples there. He makes sure he doesn’t bring them in. I remember several years ago one of the guys missed curfew at the bowl trip they were at and he was home the next day. Dabo ran him, he said we got rules and we’re going to enforce them. Simple as that. He’s done a super job recruiting the nation, and the fan base there, they pack 80,000 plus every game at their home field. It’s hard to find a ticket at Clemson.”

Spurrier later noted the high expectations at Clemson as well.

“They think big, I tell you that, Mike. They don’t think, ‘Oh man, we will be lucky to win one.’ Now, they think they’re supposed to win championships, and national championships even now.”
As long as Clemsux is winning, Florida’s rival isn’t doing well! It’s a game to Spurrier. Just like he left our team.

So remind me again who Spurrier was "cheating" with? Face it. He got too old for the modern recruiting game and has freely admitted as much -- along with his other mistakes. Give it a rest.

Reactions: SOSUSC
So remind me again who Spurrier was "cheating" with? Face it. He got too old for the modern recruiting game and has freely admitted as much -- along with his other mistakes. Give it a rest.
Yeah that was really not a very good comparison. Granted, my wife has never cheated on me (that I know about lol), but I don't see the point in equating that kind of cruelty to simply fading into retirement.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

I really don't get it. In his myriad of interviews since stepping down, Spurrier has repeatedly said HE let things get out of control. HE failed to hire good assistants. HE failed to give the necessary attention to recruiting. HE lost control of the team. I think the Spurrier apologists merely see those statements as him sacrificially taking the bullet for things that really weren't his fault.

Spurrier and Swinney are the tortoise and the hare. While Spurrier was out golfing and having a good time while resting on the laurels of his success, Dabo used the defeats as motivation to get better. And now he's won more titles than Spurrier. It's a cautionary tale if there ever was one.

Yep and he kept cashing those checks. The way I see it, he owes us about $8,000,000.00.

Reactions: rogue cock
We hate every former coach except Morrison who died before we could hate him and Carlen who got fired for extracurricular activities before we could hate him.

Spurrier:
Our only seasons of 11 wins - three times
Our only SEC division title
Our only EOY top 10 finishes ever
Our only EOY top 5 finish
Over half of (5 of 9 our bowl wins in our entire history
Our only win over a #1 ranked team
2 of our only 3 wins over top 5 ranked teams
Our only 5 bomb over Clemson
Our only 4 bomb over Georgia
Our only 4 year stretch of being ranked EOY
Our only season ever of beating 5 EOY ranked teams.
Beat these "blue bloods": Bama, Michigan, Nebraska, Miami

Made us relevant on the national scene for the only time except 1984 when we crashed and burned 2 of the last 3.

Yeah, let's hate on him some more

Later in the interview, Spurrier was asked about Clemson and Dabo Swinney, who has led the Tigers to two national championships in the past three seasons. Spurrier is very familiar Swinney after coaching against him while leading South Carolina.

“Well, he’s recruited extremely well, and his players, they don’t get in trouble,” Spurrier said of Swinney’s teams. “They follow the rules. You know, he doesn’t have any bad apples there. He makes sure he doesn’t bring them in. I remember several years ago one of the guys missed curfew at the bowl trip they were at and he was home the next day. Dabo ran him, he said we got rules and we’re going to enforce them. Simple as that. He’s done a super job recruiting the nation, and the fan base there, they pack 80,000 plus every game at their home field. It’s hard to find a ticket at Clemson.”

“They think big, I tell you that, Mike. They don’t think, ‘Oh man, we will be lucky to win one.’ Now, they think they’re supposed to win championships, and national championships even now.”

Spurrier is honest in his opinion. I have to commend him for that.

If we win five or less it’s time for Champ to take the train . Losses to anybody other than Bama , Clemson , UGA , and TAMU are completely unacceptable. If UT and UF are already ahead of us after basically rebuilding then we are failing . Honestly if we go 2-9 I think he’s safe because Tanner will hide behind the schedule . If Next year is a struggle he will use the “Starting a new QB” excuse . If he’s still here after that we might as well come to terms that the Spurrier success was an aberration and our program is just happy to participate. Champ can change all this by stepping up and knocking off some big boy teams this year . He’s gotta show he can do that .

Well there will always be excuses. The schedule, the team is young and inexperienced, the QB will be better next year, and on and on. There are USC fans who can easily get a doctorate in excuses. But the blame will never be on Muschamp, or RT for hiring him.

Whether we like it or not the slide started when RT took over the reigns of the Athletic Department. Has RT made one good hire?

Reactions: Goose cock

Very poor analogy.

Spurrier talks out of both sides of his mouth.......and when he coughs, it comes out shit!!!!!Sick

I would sell my soul...well, almost to just win 1 National championship. We can’t even win our division. We have never demanded anything as a fanbase or alumni base. They do up in dem hills. I don’t know where the crazy excuses come from but we have the market cornered. I can’t imagine what I would be like if we ever won a National championship.

Every fan deserves the feeling one gets when the team they pull for reaches the pinnacle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT