ADVERTISEMENT

Suggestions for the A.D.

I have been saying all of this on FGF for years. Some even dismissed it as conspiracy theory. Clemson has long sought to control the statewide media to elevate themselves and demonize USC in every way. The State News has had an anti-Gamecock sportswriter as long as I can remember. Back in my days at USC (1977-1981) it was Herman Helms. CU works at this constantly.

I'd like paths & tailgating areas around river highlighting a already great ballpark! While we're at it Ray, how bout an bridge over Bluff, a lot of families would love that including football players.
Priority now, however, is getting our football program fixed and not letting what happened in Nov. (and, Mon. a week ago) happen again while under his watch! Totally unacceptable! We could & should not have let what was going on with us help THEM - our rival - which it strongly DID! We're were sinking & they were building right before our eyes after we had them totally in control until then! First things first and THIS has to be first & foremost on our agenda or we'll keep lagging behind! What starts with them takes care of the rest IMO and we were getting there (No. 4) when the wheels quit turning and took full advantage!

Reactions: RaginRooster
No problem with some ADs being on the committee. Which year did DRad unfairly get Clemson in the playoff? This year, last year or both? Why didn't Arkansas get in the playoff? Their AD was chairman of the committee the first two years. Surely that's enough to warrant an automatic bid in this corrupt system you speak of.

Well, I read that Ohio State's AD just joined the selection committee for next year's playoff. Who decides who's on the committee? Why does OSU need anyone on the committee? Do the school's lobby for their AD to be on the committee? These are things that make me go hmmmm!

Reactions: RaginRooster
The problem is that there should be more than 4 teams in the playoffs. We need 16 teams - the winner of each conference and then 6 at-large teams.
This isn't even probable. These are college kids that have classes. Also by the time the season is over all teams are tired and have key players injured. To play for the NC they play 14 games. Between practice everyday and travel to away games these kids can't be expected be fully healthy and not struggle in their classes. The bowl season already has way too many games. Used to you had to have 7 wins to qualify for a bowl, now it's 5. These kids need the season to end by New Years so they can heal and focus on their academics

So true. This present system is no better than the "selection" of the National Champ at the end of the year. It's STILL "selection" about who makes the final 4 and it's totally ruined the bowl system imo!
If the bowl system gets "ruined" at the expense of a proper playoff system, that's fine with me. If all but a dozen bowl games survive implementing a proper playoff, I'm okay with that too. Bottom line is that the playoff games should operate independently of the bowls; higher seed hosts the playoff games, and the championship game is held at a neutral site, just like FCS does it.

See the linked article from 7 years ago - still holds true in many respects.
Wetzel's playoff plan: Money talks

This isn't even probable. These are college kids that have classes. Also by the time the season is over all teams are tired and have key players injured. To play for the NC they play 14 games. Between practice everyday and travel to away games these kids can't be expected be fully healthy and not struggle in their classes. The bowl season already has way too many games. Used to you had to have 7 wins to qualify for a bowl, now it's 5. These kids need the season to end by New Years so they can heal and focus on their academics
Every NCAA division sans FBS, and the NAIA have a proper playoff. Why should FBS be any different? Otherwise, push for a playoff reduction in NAIA, FBC, & NCAA divisions II & III.

Every NCAA division sans FBS, and the NAIA have a proper playoff. Why should FBS be any different? Otherwise, push for a playoff reduction in NAIA, FBC, & NCAA divisions II & III.
Do you think those other sports are as violent as football. Hell even Bama's great defense was struggling in the second half of that game. How many games do you think these kids should be required to play and not affect their academic status

Well, I read that Ohio State's AD just joined the selection committee for next year's playoff. Who decides who's on the committee? Why does OSU need anyone on the committee? Do the school's lobby for their AD to be on the committee? These are things that make me go hmmmm!

Ok. Who should be on the committee? Random people with no ties to any of the 128 FBS schools? Maybe we should let the Russians pick the top four teams.

Ok. Who should be on the committee? Random people with no ties to any of the 128 FBS schools? Maybe we should let the Russians pick the top four teams.

It's real simple. Either have ALL of the AD's or NONE of them. They have Condi Rice for goodness sake so I'm sure that they can find enough capable people without giving one school an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.

Do you think those other sports are as violent as football. Hell even Bama's great defense was struggling in the second half of that game. How many games do you think these kids should be required to play and not affect their academic status
Um, I AM referring to football. Football in the NAIA as well as all NCAA divisions.

FBS is the ONLY collegiate football division that does not have a true playoff. Either expand the FBS ersatz playoffs to a true 16-team event, or reduce the playoffs in the other divisions to a four-team event.

I honestly have no idea how many games a college student should be required to play. I'm merely stating/asking that why should it be different in FBS than all other collegiate divisions?

It's real simple. Either have ALL of the AD's or NONE of them. They have Condi Rice for goodness sake so I'm sure that they can find enough capable people without giving one school an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.

But Condi Rice taught at Stanford and is from Alabama. Is that not a conflict of interest? The point is anyone they pick will be associated with the sport in some way, and could therefore be accused of malfeasance. That's why they have a decent number on the committee and rules about recusing themselves so no one voice can have undue and possibly unfair influence. There is no evidence that any of them have conducted themselves less than honorably.

Sounds like a good conspiracy theory when you typed it, but there are no facts to support your claim.

I don't know that it's "improbable" when they're playing in bowls anyway. Whatever - there needs to be a better REAL "playoff" system than the "still-selected" one they have picking 4 teams! That's no way to do it with teams with the same records (some winning their conference) getting left out. And the SOS has lessened in importance which makes the selection even more questionable!

Reactions: Jpcooper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT