ADVERTISEMENT

The game should be moved.....we have more important things to worry about

The team has a chance in Columbia, they have no chance in Baton Rouge and the local businesses could use the help if the infrastructure can be restored.

We take our bye this week and play LSU on the 24th. LSU moves their game with Western Kentucky to Oct 31st their open date. Then someone ie: the southeastern conference needs to step and pay Old Dominion revenues lost for not playing Western Kentucky.

Reactions: cockylady50
If its moved to Charlotte, do you not think many people will then travel to Charlotte? Many from the same areas where the roads are already closed.. Just means longer routes, etc... If the infrastructure in Columbia cannot handle the traffic, then it is a simple answer.. DO not have the game in Columbia. If the roads can handle it then have the game in Columbia..

Came to the board for just this question. We have tix for the game but my heart has been heavy thinking about sitting there tailgating and at the game with so many around town hurting with loss and uncertainty. These are not people far away - they are here... among us. My family was spared loss. We were barely inconvenienced. For that I'm grateful. Yet most of us are within minutes of the devastation and that devastation continues today. I hope RT calls it or moves it. Otherwise I might find a way to convince myself to put this suffering out of my mind come Saturday morning. It's not time for that yet, I don't think.

Law enforcement doesn't need to waste time directing game traffic while we have hundreds of roads and bridges that are out. Makes no sense at all.

Game needs to be moved. Playing at LSU may be the easiest choice. Law enforcement folks don't need to be directing traffic here on Saturday. They need to be free to help those who need it. I spent time volunteering this week and helping people clear out their houses. It's devastating and Columbia is not going to recover quickly and just be OK in a few days. This will be a long process for things to get "normal" around here again.There are so many people that need help getting everything out of their houses. Bridges and roads need to be inspected etc. No need for folks from out of town to come in and try to drive. FEMA and emergency folks need more freedom to get where they need to go. For those that don't live near here, there's still a lot of bad stuff going on even though the rain has stopped. Plus, it would be good to free up all of the hotel rooms that fans had booked so that folks who lost their homes can find somewhere to stay.

I'm seeing such a defeatist attitude on this Board re: folding our tents and feeling sorry for ourselves. If you feel the spirit, then DO something for those who have suffered losses, but let's try to bring some normalcy back to this community. If thousands can get to work downtown and in Cayce, West Columbia, St. Andrews, etc., thousands can get to the stadium; otherwise, stay home.

Funny - on the news this am they were talking excitedly about the State Fair coming next week and how part of the parking or admission proceeds were being donated. Why no concern there?

I totally agree- but it's not because of a lot of the fans.

It's because of the needless strain it will place on our over-worked law enforcement officials.

There are a lot of these guys that haven't slept in a couple of days already. They are working 12 hours shifts right now- with many more working 16 hour plus shifts - and will the rest of the week.

if they aren't sleeping on Saturday, they will likely be needed in our community.

I think holding a game in Columbia at this point is really silly. (Not even counting the water situation).

The fair has a few law enforcement people but they have their own security and parking personnel to cover games- that are use to doing those jobs.

That's 1 reason.

There are others.

Funny - on the news this am they were talking excitedly about the State Fair coming next week and how part of the parking or admission proceeds were being donated. Why no concern there?

We have almost no chance anywhere

#2 - our chance doesn't matter. A lot of businesses don't even have safe water to use right now - quite a number aren't even open. So this part of your statement is really almost a non issue.

The team has a chance in Columbia, they have no chance in Baton Rouge and the local businesses could use the help if the infrastructure can be restored.

The game should be played it Columbia. That will bring normalcy. Many of the officers that work the games are from outside of the Columbia area and do so on their days off. For example a lot of the upstate suffered very little damage. The only major issue is the water. Many businesses opened on Monday without safe drinking water. I just brought bottled water to work and moved on.

Reactions: 67gamecock
The game should be played it Columbia. That will bring normalcy. Many of the officers that work the games are from outside of the Columbia area and do so on their days off. For example a lot of the upstate suffered very little damage. The only major issue is the water. Many businesses opened on Monday without safe drinking water. I just brought bottled water to work and moved on.

Some of the patrolmen in the Upstate have been moved to the low country to help out. Plus Clemson has a home game on Saturday as well. USC is in a no win situation here, I have a feeling we are playing at LSU. Now if we play at LSU, we should be in charge of the money that the game creates, as this will still be considered a home game for us.

There are plenty of displaced families who would like the distraction. But it is a difficult call. Road closures are a big issue. Safety issues with waters rising and the dams struggling. The local businesses...ie restaurants and hotels are packed.....ice shipped in and bottled water donated to restaurants.

Best I can tell, those that are out their homes are not going back in anytime soon. Every house that flooded will have the bottom floor gutted to the framing. Its not like they are moving back in this weekend. They are in hotels and with families for weeks to months. My displaced friends would like to go tailgate and have some fun. But they are a small subset of the local families displaced.

Its a no win situation for our AD. People are going to complain either way.

Just thinking out loud because I really do not know the answer, but do most Highway Patrol live in the area they serve? I always assumed they covered all of SC and traveled all over SC but it makes sense that they may cover regions or territories and live in these territories.
If they live all over SC and cover all of SC, then making the argument about having a game at W-B will be more taxing on them does not make much sense. I am not trying to be insensitive to the work they have done this past week and thankful for their service. However, this Saturday there are games all over the state. Taters are playing at home and people from all over SC will be attending, even many from the Columbia area. The Citadel is playing Wofford, in Chas., Coastal will be playing Presbyterian in Horry county which is also hit with flooding and road closures..Newberry is playing Mars hill in Clinton and it is there homecoming. A lot of state match ups this weekend that will bring bigger then normal crowds to these other stadiums.

I haven't heard one of these other schools talk about moving their games due to over taxing the SCHP and road conditions around the state.. The taters will require just as many SCHP as USC. All these other schools will require some as well..

For me the determining decision will be if the Stadium has water and sewer. If no sewer then no game....I doubt they could put enough little-johns outside the stadium to accommodate the crowds..

Law enforcement doesn't need to waste time directing game traffic while we have hundreds of roads and bridges that are out. Makes no sense at all.
Just thinking out loud because I really do not know the answer, but do most Highway Patrol live in the area they serve? I always assumed they covered all of SC and traveled all over SC but it makes sense that they may cover regions or territories and live in these territories.
If they live all over SC and cover all of SC, then making the argument about having a game at W-B will be more taxing on them does not make much sense. I am not trying to be insensitive to the work they have done this past week and thankful for their service. However, this Saturday there are games all over the state. Taters are playing at home and people from all over SC will be attending, even many from the Columbia area. The Citadel is playing Wofford, in Chas., Coastal will be playing Presbyterian in Horry county which is also hit with flooding and road closures..Newberry is playing Mars hill in Clinton and it is there homecoming. A lot of state match ups this weekend that will bring bigger then normal crowds to these other stadiums.

I haven't heard one of these other schools talk about moving their games due to over taxing the SCHP and road conditions around the state.. The taters will require just as many SCHP as USC. All these other schools will require some as well..

For me the determining decision will be if the Stadium has water and sewer. If no sewer then no game....I doubt they could put enough little-johns outside the stadium to accommodate the crowds..

+1 . Funny no one is talking about clemmy moving there game to GT. By the way cancel the SC State Fair also.

Reactions: 67gamecock
If you have been following the local news in Columbia, you would have heard the local law enforcement people talking about how other departments from across the state- and other areas have been sending law enforcement to Columbia all week long- at great expense (being away from their own homes and areas of patrol) to their own areas.

That's why it's really silly to hold the game in Columbia at this point. What you've written just isn't the case right now because of the severe damage, and severe impact on local law enforcement and medical responders.

and no - a lot of the law enforcement you see on Saturdays are local people - local responders- local EMS people - many of which by this point already have had no break since last Friday.

Last edited:
Excuse me - but this is really ludicrous.

downtown Clemson, Anderson, Greenville, Easley, and Pickens weren't impacted by serious floods or numerous deaths and injuries. They aren't having to boil their water. They weren't having entire neighborhoods evacuated and those folks living in hotels and shelters - likely to be doing so for weeks or months.

In reality, those areas have been sending resources- including law enforcement people- to the midlands and lower state to help out to give the folks there a little bit of time to get some sleep.

+1 . Funny no one is talking about clemmy moving there game to GT. By the way cancel the SC State Fair also.

It doesn't make sense to have it here this weekend. It would be a loss in revenue anyways and the city itself has so many problems right now. It really is sad and these people need help. It would probably be best for them to play somewhere else. I hope these players are motivated to play for their city and state on Saturday. What an emotional win that would be. It could be program changing.

Reactions: Sending an SOS
If we play the game in in BR, will we have to refund ticketholders to the game that was to be played 700 miles away in Columbia? I see a big financial loss to the university if we get into a ticket refund situation.

the game will not be played in Columbia this weekend and that will be the right call.

IF there was a stadium big enough and available to hold USC's game in the Upstate, then the game would be played there.

One more thing, if Clemson, LSU, and the SEC would agree, we should play our game on Sunday afternoon at Clemson. Do not let a rivalry get in the way. The ratings would be higher on Sunday anyway, since the only college game on.

I say we use this as a bye week. Not play this game at all, and have it listed on the schedule as a 3-0 loss. 20 years from now people will be thinking that had to be a hell of a game.

I say we use this as a bye week. Not play this game at all, and have it listed on the schedule as a 3-0 loss. 20 years from now people will be thinking that had to be a hell of a game.

Not a bad idea, really, but the conference execs would kick Bama to the curb before they would permit such a thing. LSU might get moved out of the Final 4 picture even if they win the SECCG in Atlanta and THAT'S a big loss for everyone. I'm still concerned about the financial loss to USC:
70,000 tickest x $100 average price/ticket = $7,000,000!!!

Newberry playing their homecoming game in Clinton this Saturday? That's a new one on me.

Can't say I disagree with this. It was a tough call regardless for Tanner to make. There are still areas in Columbia without running water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT