ADVERTISEMENT

Things many of you don't want to hear

I have seen so many posts on here about how we're behind in talent and need 3-4 years to catch up.

1. The problem is, we're not going to catch up. Two of the top tier programs in the country are basically within 150 miles of us. In today's college game, a 9-3 season is meaningless for 99% of college teams. Once you lose a game, your shot at a playoff berth is 0, unless you're Alabama or Clemson. Kids want to win championships, and today's kids are not the patient kids of years ago. They whine and transfer if they don't play immediately. The best kids aren't going to come here, if they want to win. Many of you need to accept the fact it would take a catastrophic melt down in uga and Clemson for us to catch up. Maybe hillinski is the real deal, and maybe a top tier qb can give us the chance to catch up, but I'm not confident with them pulling in higher ranked QBs.

2. Jake Bentley is a mediocre QB. I know some of you had great hope after his freshman campaign, but he just hasn't developed. He can hit wide open guys, but doesn't make the tough throws against good teams. He is okay, but he just isn't as good as some people think he is or hope he will be. Many of you will disagree, but the evidence is in the film. He makes some great throws here and there, but overall he's just okay. I love his leadership, his work ethic, and his willingness to admit when he hasn't played well. He is a great kid, and a good QB, but he's just not great.

3. I'd love to see them put in Joyner. I know he isn't a great passer, but his ability to move the pocket and gain yards with his legs could outweigh some passing deficiency. Teams don't respect Jake's mobility, so it makes us one dimensional When we're in passing downs. They would at least have to use a player to spy Joyner, which could leave one less pass defender. Plus, Jake's probably got one or two more years, so Joyner could have more years to grow in the offense.

4. I have not seen this "new offense" that was promised. It's exactly the same. That is undeniable. I kept wondering in the off-season.... Muschamp just kept saying we would play with "tempo", but he never said up tempo. My supposition is that he was trying to appease the complainers by using misleading language. We definitely played with tempo.. The exact same tempo we have always played with. Ssssssslllloooowww. On a side note, I think we tried too hard to force the ball to debo. I think Edwards is better. When he caught passes, he trucked defenders and fought for yac. He's the real deal.

5. I hope they'll give hillinski a chance next season. If he's as good as advertised, he'll beat Jake out. But, I don't think they'd play him over Jake even if he is better in practice.

Feel free to disagree and let's have a cordial debate. I'm willing to change my mind. I've been a gamecock for 36 years, and I love the program, but I don't think we'll get back to the 2013 season in the foreseeable future.

Right now, would take wins on the road against Kentucky, who has beaten us four years in a row, and Vanderbilt. Think that will be necessary with this team to get to a bowl game. But winning those games is going to be tough though, as both of those teams are playing well.

I agree. Very nice man. Exemplary baseball coach. Hillbilly.
Nothing wrong with a hillbilly. Saban, Jimbo and Bowden are all hillbillies from WV.

Some guy named Terry Don hired a guy with an even odder name at Hillbilly U and it worked out for them.

Ray doesn’t need to sound like a Wall Street hedge fund manager to do a great job for SC. Just needs to make the right hires, manage the finances and then get out of the way.

SOS left a talent void that was obvious to most everyone. Muschamp has improved our talent and each class he's brought in has been better than the previous one. That being said, a lot of our talent is young, Horn may be our best DB as a true Fr.? LOS was one area where we were whipped yesterday, and the third quarter play was pathetic from both sides if the ball.

We have good recruiters and coaches, but making chicken salad out of chicken shit will take time!

Soooo wait till year after year after next? Meanwhile, I have buried many a Carolina Alum and rabid Gamecock fan who passed away waiting.

OP may or may not have been around in the early 80's. Good to remember that those same two rivals (Georgia and Clemson) won consecutive national championships (UGA - '80, CU - '81), and yet that dominance did not last forever. Carolina closed the gap and both UGA and CU had lean years over the next couple of decades. Someone earlier mentioned that things are cyclical, and that is spot-on.

Carolina is light-years ahead of where we were in the early 80's in so may ways:

* Institutional stability President Holderman was Trump-like in his megalomania and instability - he was toxic to the athletic department, and in combination with an always meddlesome State Legislature, Carolina's athletic programs suffered greatly in those days. Our current president is not only completely sane, but is a huge backer of our AD, our coaches and our programs. Beyond that, he and the last couple of presidents before, going back to Palms, have managed to keep that meddlesome legislature at bay.

* Stability within athletic department leadership: One strong AD rather than the fractured environment we used to endure, including three separate athletic directors at one time - the main AD - Dietzel/Carlen, the Director of Basketball Operations (McGuire), and a third AD for spring sports.

* Conference affiliation: SEC membership alone makes USC incalculably better off than we once were, as we wandered through the wilderness of major independent status.

* Facilities: No comparison to where we were in those days.

OP's other points are not without merit, but the doom and gloom of the first point is a little over the top.

I was born in the early 80s, so my earliest memories of Gamecock football are Brandon Bennett memories.

I agree that things are cyclical. Perhaps I was hyperbolic, but I should say I don't think we'll catch up in the immediate future. Maybe in 6-7 years uga and Clemson will fizzle. I hope before that, but I don't see them going anywhere soon.

I was born in the early 80s, so my earliest memories of Gamecock football are Brandon Bennett memories.

I agree that things are cyclical. Perhaps I was hyperbolic, but I should say I don't think we'll catch up in the immediate future. Maybe in 6-7 years uga and Clemson will fizzle. I hope before that, but I don't see them going anywhere soon.

It’ll take a scandal. In the past there were a bunch of storied programs and accomplished coaches. How many current coaches have National Titles now? Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Jimbo...and Meyer might be at the end of his career soon depending on how some of this stuff he has going on goes.

The landscape of CFB just shifted as much as it ever has and Clemson and Georgia are in 2 of the best 4-5 positions.

Wasn’t long ago we had won 4 of 5 from UGA, and 5 in a row against Clemson. We had a coach at the end of his career, they got guys just beginning. I can’t see what shift would take place to knock either of these teams off their pedestal long-term other than a down season here and there...except a scandal / major violations.

Need a few more coaches to come up the ranks and challenge them, but who are they??? Could be years before we see the next proven guys. Lincoln Riley is already in one of those 4-5 positions.

Reactions: Judson1
I
Need a few more coaches to come up the ranks and challenge them, but who are they??? Could be years before we see the next proven guys. Lincoln Riley is already in one of those 4-5 positions.

Thing is you already know what established guys can do. See Jimbo Fisher.

The next Saban is a coordinator somewhere now (well guys like that don't come along often).

But you want to know something? All the hot names have pedigrees, accomplishments, worked for the best.

But until they actually get a HC job you don't know what you have. Some rise to the top, some get canned pretty quick.

And everyone does the best job they can to research those guys, but the "It" factor is something that only can be recognized after they have the job.

Thing is you already know what established guys can do. See Jimbo Fisher.

The next Saban is a coordinator somewhere now (well guys like that don't come along often).

But you want to know something? All the hot names have pedigrees, accomplishments, worked for the best.

But until they actually get a HC job you don't know what you have. Some rise to the top, some get canned pretty quick.

And everyone does the best job they can to research those guys, but the "It" factor is something that only can be recognized after they have the job.

Right. The issue is it could be 5-6 more years before we know who those guys are. Just that much more time for Smart, Dabo, Riley to separate themselves assuming Saban, Meyer aren’t coaching any longer. Jimbo is the one that has a title that I don’t see factoring in near as much.

Last edited:
I have seen so many posts on here about how we're behind in talent and need 3-4 years to catch up.

1. The problem is, we're not going to catch up. Two of the top tier programs in the country are basically within 150 miles of us. In today's college game, a 9-3 season is meaningless for 99% of college teams. Once you lose a game, your shot at a playoff berth is 0, unless you're Alabama or Clemson. Kids want to win championships, and today's kids are not the patient kids of years ago. They whine and transfer if they don't play immediately. The best kids aren't going to come here, if they want to win. Many of you need to accept the fact it would take a catastrophic melt down in uga and Clemson for us to catch up. Maybe hillinski is the real deal, and maybe a top tier qb can give us the chance to catch up, but I'm not confident with them pulling in higher ranked QBs.

2. Jake Bentley is a mediocre QB. I know some of you had great hope after his freshman campaign, but he just hasn't developed. He can hit wide open guys, but doesn't make the tough throws against good teams. He is okay, but he just isn't as good as some people think he is or hope he will be. Many of you will disagree, but the evidence is in the film. He makes some great throws here and there, but overall he's just okay. I love his leadership, his work ethic, and his willingness to admit when he hasn't played well. He is a great kid, and a good QB, but he's just not great.

3. I'd love to see them put in Joyner. I know he isn't a great passer, but his ability to move the pocket and gain yards with his legs could outweigh some passing deficiency. Teams don't respect Jake's mobility, so it makes us one dimensional When we're in passing downs. They would at least have to use a player to spy Joyner, which could leave one less pass defender. Plus, Jake's probably got one or two more years, so Joyner could have more years to grow in the offense.

4. I have not seen this "new offense" that was promised. It's exactly the same. That is undeniable. I kept wondering in the off-season.... Muschamp just kept saying we would play with "tempo", but he never said up tempo. My supposition is that he was trying to appease the complainers by using misleading language. We definitely played with tempo.. The exact same tempo we have always played with. Ssssssslllloooowww. On a side note, I think we tried too hard to force the ball to debo. I think Edwards is better. When he caught passes, he trucked defenders and fought for yac. He's the real deal.

5. I hope they'll give hillinski a chance next season. If he's as good as advertised, he'll beat Jake out. But, I don't think they'd play him over Jake even if he is better in practice.

Feel free to disagree and let's have a cordial debate. I'm willing to change my mind. I've been a gamecock for 36 years, and I love the program, but I don't think we'll get back to the 2013 season in the foreseeable future.
I think you are a 110 percent correct youleft our what sorry coaching we have as a RB coach and what a dumb butt we have for OC markmy words sorry offisensive coaches are going to get Muskrat right out of town

I...Here we are. Here will be remain. Watching 5 in a row turn to 6 maybe 7??? We have to stop this cycle at some point. We all love our ole baseball coach, but we need someone in here fixing this now because if the next hire we focus on making isn't our AD, then you can bet our grandchildren will be looking at the same old doormat SEC east team that we have become.
Well, Kentucky just snapped a 31-game losing streak to Florida. You think they aren't having a high old time today? Just think, that could be us celebrating in another couple of decades - or possibly our survivors.

Reactions: USCLaw85
Well, Kentucky just snapped a 31-game losing streak to Florida. You think they aren't having a high old time today? Just think, that could be us celebrating in another couple of decades - or possibly our survivors.

Yeah, breaking a 31 game losing streak to Kentucky is going to be awesome.

Reactions: king ward

Clemson gave us the blue print. Why not copy what they did and get us an OC with up tempo spread and sling it down the field. Difference between us and CleMson is CleMson don’t feel obligated to keep something that ain’t working.

Reactions: RockThrillCock
Clemson gave us the blue print. Why not copy what they did and get us an OC with up tempo spread and sling it down the field. Difference between us and CleMson is CleMson don’t feel obligated to keep something that ain’t working.

We had that...Brad Scott. While the SEC is down, you still have defenses that can compete with the gimmick offense. And you better be able to play defense too, which the fast offense typically don’t do well because their d is tire. Clemson doesn’t have to worry about that often because they are far more talented than the other teams.

Clemson has done well against the SEC but their closest games have been against Auburn and A&M in the regular season along with FSU (outside of the crazy upsets). They don’t put up 50 on the talented teams.

It worked for them and it was brilliant. But I don’t think we’d have the same successes they had on the way up. Keep in mind we beat them 5 years in a row while they were building this thing because we had players on D.

We could be like Ole Miss basically.

Reactions: funktavious
Nothing wrong with a hillbilly. Saban, Jimbo and Bowden are all hillbillies from WV.

Some guy named Terry Don hired a guy with an even odder name at Hillbilly U and it worked out for them.

Ray doesn’t need to sound like a Wall Street hedge fund manager to do a great job for SC. Just needs to make the right hires, manage the finances and then get out of the way.
Hillbillies don’t run $100MM corps.

They proved that when they fired Bowden in mid-season.

Umm from a getting beat in the trenches standpoint the ol class it takes to catch up came in this fall. The dl started coming in this fall and a motherload is incoming next fall. We are 3 years away from being at the top. . Better than being 4. Im going to enjoy watching the ascension.

What package would Joyner have that BMc didn't have. That experiment did not work. Either let the kid play or don't put him in there to run the ball. That was some of the worst offense this team has EVER seen.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Point 5: Jake will leave after this season and go somewhere around the 4th or 5th round.

I seriously can't understand this line of thinking. Hope I'm just missing something (BIG) but I can't see Bentley playing in the NFL under any circumstance. If he makes a team, I think he'll be toast within a week of training camp.

He can't make a 15 yard pass to a wide open receiver. He only sees one receiver and everyone on the field can watch his eyes and see who that is.

If we lose to Marshall, which is very possible, we should play everyone who thinks they are a QB, on the team, in the Russell House, cleaning the dorms with eligibility...

So, another person is ignoring the wins of Jake Bentley, and ignoring another sorry OFFENSIVE LINE performance (compared to the dominance of UGA's line and ALABAMA's Offensive lines).

I DISAGREE--and am not blindly blaming the QB.
First,and FOREMOST our shotty performance versus UGA is on Muschamp.

Oh yes, I am grateful that He has improved the Carolina win totals from 3,but Muschamp also just put out a HOME TEAM that was more nervous than the opponent in Columbia !! How can that be on Jake Bentley.

Rico Dowdles' TWO early Dropped balls that should have been a first down is NOT THE FAULT OF JAKE BENTLEY !
I stopped counting at 6 receiver drops.

A dropped ball that richochets into an INTERCEPTION IS NOT THE FAULT OF JAKE BENTLEY.

An "SEC" level punter who F@cks up the morale instead of kicking a decent kick==that leads DIRECTLY to a 20-10 score before halftime (a nail in the coffin of the underdog's (USC) confidence is NOT THE FAULT of QB Jake Bentley !

Muschamp is OVERLY focused on this "work the same way towards each opponent" .
BULLSHOT ! Kirby said he had been talking to HIS team and prepping some things toward Carolina for MONTHS. Muschamp keeps saying the opposite.
And that football team on Saturday came out LOOKING like they were nervous and simply NOT READY.

So, for all Boom has done, he was RIGHT to admit , "IT's On me that the team didn't play better against Georgia."
Unlike Kirby Smart, he certainly did NOT have the 'cocks ready to play. (Remember when we beat UGA 35-7 ? NOw, on THAT day, we were MENTALLY locked in and pre-CONDITIONED to play..

you WENT:
...................................................................................
.................................................................................

Feel free to disagree and let's have a cordial debate. I'm willing to change my mind. I've been a gamecock for 36 years, and I love the program, but I don't think we'll get back to the 2013 season in the foreseeable future.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

The truth always hurts. I still love my team. They just need to focus on each game and the rest will take care of itself.
I will add that you left out the need for a big time SEC back. Watching Miss State and Kentucky made me wonder why we can't get one of those.

Nothing to debate. You’re right on every point.

I’ve been skeptical of the whole “catch up” logic as well. If an object is already way ahead of you, and it’s moving at a much more rapid pace, you will never catch it.
We can catch by doing exactly what others have done to go from good to elite" CHEAT. LIKE. HELL.

That's the only solution.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Clemson has recruited well, but not elite. They have recruited QB elite and have developed players very, very well.
Here's recruiting since 2015. Parentheses is per player star average according to Rivals.
2015: Clemson 6 (3.59), UGA 9 (3.71), SC 26 (3.04) *** 2015 UGA doesn't include Demetris Robertson which would have put UGA above Clemson
2016: UGA 3 (3.69), SC 16 (3.24), Clemson 22 (3.86)
2017: UGA 1 (4.19), Clemson 8 (4.06, SC 18 (3.38)
2018: UGA 1 (4.06), Clemson 5 (3.5), SC 15 (3.44)
Kirby has UGA in rarefied air in recruiting. Clemson won the lottery with Deshaun Watson and he really elevated their program. If Muschamp can land the right recruit or 2, your next step could be closer than you think.

CU has recruited more than just DW...when you look at the breakdown of 5* / 4* / 3* recruits in those same years. SC is loaded with 3 stars, which can't regularly compete with 5 star rosters and it showed on Saturday.

2015: CU - 3/9/10; UGA - 2/11/14; SC 0/11/17
2016: CU - 3/10/6; UGA - 3/10/7; SC 0/7/14
2017: CU - 3/6/5; UGA - 2/14/10; SC 0/7/17
2018: CU - 6/6/5; UGA - 8/15/3; SC 0/8/13

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
FWIW, from an outsider standpoint, here is what I think:

1) Spurrier - everyone knows he quit and tried to let his name do the recruiting. But recruits were skeptical on how long he would be there, not to mention his treatment of QBs.

1) Ray Tanner - As much as he is loved, he is in over his head as AD. He was a great BB coach and better suited for that role. His biggest mistake is letting the huge head start on replacing Spurrier slip until the wheels came off with the Citadel loss, scaring off any viable candidates. He should have had a coach on speed dial for the day Spurrier called it quits. Honestly, at the time, I think Elliott was the guy for a fresh new start because of his passion, motivation and love for the school. In a weird way he was a Dabo but that's why everyone wanted him gone. So the next viable choice would have been Charlie Strong (who was never a good fit for Texas).

2) Muschamp - I could be wrong, but I think he was a desperation hire and I just don't think he can get it done. He was in line for the Texas job and they let him go without a fight. He couldn't get it done at UF where the program recruits itself. And at Auburn he fielded one of the worst defense in the SEC. But then again, it takes time. He is only in year three of taking over a dumpster fire that lost to The Citadel. I know Muschamp wants to win, but he has a lot to prove to make me a believer and right now he can't even beat Kentucky.

3) Bobby Bentley - I questioned this hire too. While BB was a great coach on the HS level...he made it a point to beat the poop out of all of the other area HS coaches...which I am sure they all remember. Now he was charged with buddying up with them to recruit their stars. Probably not a big deal, but I always wondered. Additionally, once can only wonder if he negotiated his son the starting position as part of his hiring. Why else would you put a high school senior in charge of an SEC offence? IMO, J. Bentley had glimmers of stardom, but just never even seemed on par with C Shaw.

Nonetheless, Muschamp is your man and you have to give him time. Even DS inherited a program that was "one play away" from winning ACC championships under Bowden and it still took him 6-7 years to build a program. So Muschamp cannot fix it in 3 years and you have to keep expectations realistic. The garnet colored glasses made a win vs UGA win a sure thing, then when it didn't happen, fans want heads to roll. But you have to remember roster of 3 stars just cannot compete with a roster of 5 stars. The new football facility should help recruiting, fan support has never been a problem and the struggle at Florida and Tennessee look to be ongoing. I don't think UGA will reign supreme for decades like Bama, so just keep expectations real, keep building and eventually the gap will close.

Reactions: CliffordII
So, another person is ignoring the wins of Jake Bentley, and ignoring another sorry OFFENSIVE LINE performance (compared to the dominance of UGA's line and ALABAMA's Offensive lines).

I DISAGREE--and am not blindly blaming the QB.
First,and FOREMOST our shotty performance versus UGA is on Muschamp.

Oh yes, I am grateful that He has improved the Carolina win totals from 3,but Muschamp also just put out a HOME TEAM that was more nervous than the opponent in Columbia !! How can that be on Jake Bentley.

Rico Dowdles' TWO early Dropped balls that should have been a first down is NOT THE FAULT OF JAKE BENTLEY !
I stopped counting at 6 receiver drops.

A dropped ball that richochets into an INTERCEPTION IS NOT THE FAULT OF JAKE BENTLEY.

An "SEC" level punter who F@cks up the morale instead of kicking a decent kick==that leads DIRECTLY to a 20-10 score before halftime (a nail in the coffin of the underdog's (USC) confidence is NOT THE FAULT of QB Jake Bentley !

Muschamp is OVERLY focused on this "work the same way towards each opponent" .
BULLSHOT ! Kirby said he had been talking to HIS team and prepping some things toward Carolina for MONTHS. Muschamp keeps saying the opposite.
And that football team on Saturday came out LOOKING like they were nervous and simply NOT READY.

So, for all Boom has done, he was RIGHT to admit , "IT's On me that the team didn't play better against Georgia."
Unlike Kirby Smart, he certainly did NOT have the 'cocks ready to play. (Remember when we beat UGA 35-7 ? NOw, on THAT day, we were MENTALLY locked in and pre-CONDITIONED to play..

you WENT:
...................................................................................
.................................................................................

[/QUOTE]

I can easily concede your points on the dropped passes and interceptions. I was a bit disappointed with that as well. To be clear, I am not blaming Jake for those passes; those are on the receivers and RBs. However, I think it is undeniable that he has not really played very well against good opponents even when he has time in the pocket. I'll also concede that it is possible his play appeared diminished because of the drops, and perhaps he lost some confidence due to those drops. All that being said, I still don't think he is what one would call a top tier qb. He is good, just not great. He is serviceable, and we could still win championships with a player of his caliber if we had the players around him. Heck,Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl, and he was less than average.

I can also agree with you on some of your Muschamp points. He uses nearly the exact same language here that he used at Florida. When he first came here, there were gator fans on our board who posted links to some familiar lines...."you think I can't recruit, look at my wife".... and "we are a blue collar team". Both things he said at Florida; I would have liked to see some originality. Also, I didn't like the BMac hire.

To disagree, I think Muschamp can win here. I think that if we get some of the defensive recruits we are after, and we can put together some defenses like we had in 2012 and 2013, then we can gain some ground on these other teams. I think Muschamp has the energy to revitalize this team, but it is farther away than the 3- 4 years people are thinking it will take. I'm thinking 6 - 7 is more accurate.

]cockyferg, YOU WENT

I can easily concede your points on the dropped passes and interceptions. I was a bit disappointed with that as well. To be clear, I am not blaming Jake for those passes.... I'll also concede that it is possible his play appeared diminished because of the drops, and perhaps he lost some confidence due to those drops. All that being said, I still don't think he is what one would call a top tier qb. He is good, just not great. He is serviceable, and we could still win championships with a player of his caliber if we had the players around him. Heck,Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl, and he was less than average.

I can also agree with you on some of your Muschamp points. . . Also, I didn't like the BMac hire.

To disagree, I think Muschamp can win here. I think that if we get some of the defensive recruits we are after. . . but it is farther away than the 3- 4 years people are thinking it will take. I'm thinking 6 - 7 is more accurate.[/QUOTE]

Cockyferg, Thank you for your well-thought through responses. On The Other Hand,

I AM NOT SAYING THAT MUSCHAMP IS A BAD COACH. I'M JUST SAYING THAT FOR THIS UGA, 2018 GAME, MUSCHAMP SHOULD HAVE BEEN Leading his troops to weightlift and think towards UGA SINCE MARCH or APRIL, 2018. That's exactly what KIRBY SMART indicates HE was doing.

KIRBY said (the week before this game w/ Carolina) that HE was talking to HIS players towards CAROLINA "for MONTHS" before the game. And if you look at the readiness/alertness/belief of UGA, you can BELIEVE that they had been thinking about us for a LONG time !

No, I remember myself having written it twice.
Overall, I appreciate what Muschamp has done.
Muschamp had to turn Spurrier's exiting dumpster fire 3-9 team into a 6-7 and then into a 9-4 contender. I'm no ungrateful fan. I've seen some bad years of 1 win and 11 losses and ZERO and 12 in 1992, And so, OVERALL, I LOVE MY MUSCHAMP.

On the other hand, I particularly like the prudence of your long range thinking. You went: I think Muschamp has the energy to revitalize this team, but it is farther away than the 3- 4 years people are thinking it will take. I'm thinking 6 - 7 is more accurate.
Now, to be sure, I HOPE it doesn't take but 2-3 years, but I am WITH YOU;
I believe Muschamp has the energy (and the PASSION) to turn us into SEC Winners in time.

NOW, I do disagree with you on the BMAC hire.
I love the QB hire of Dan Werner--and I think it's too early to evaluate the BMAC as a failure. But we can respectfully "agree to disagree" on that one.

Thanks for taking the time, fellow Gamecock ! I'm Clifford in Athens, Ga.
Let's keep hoping for the best-- and continue being patient in a temporary setback !

Last edited:
Reactions: cockyferg
They proved that when they fired Bowden in mid-season.
That should have ended in disaster for them. They got lucky as it seems Clemson always tends to do. They promoted a coordinator up as interim coach and he took off with the program. Nobody thought Dabo would have the success that he has had. I've heard posters complain about hiring from within the program but that's exactly what Clemson did. That doesn't mean it is the formula. It just means that there is no exact science when it comes to hiring coaches.

Reactions: king ward
We could have had Peyton Manning back there yesterday and we would not have won. We lost that game on the LOS.
That is not true because Bently did have time to throw ,but his ball placement was not the best . With Manning (lol) better placement and down field passes.

We had that...Brad Scott. While the SEC is down, you still have defenses that can compete with the gimmick offense. And you better be able to play defense too, which the fast offense typically don’t do well because their d is tire. Clemson doesn’t have to worry about that often because they are far more talented than the other teams.

Clemson has done well against the SEC but their closest games have been against Auburn and A&M in the regular season along with FSU (outside of the crazy upsets). They don’t put up 50 on th

It worked for them and it was brilliant. But I don’t think we’d have the same successes they had on the way up. Keep in mind we beat them 5 years in a row while they were building this thing because we had players on D.

We could be like Ole Miss basically.
Hmm, they put up quite a few point in Oklahoma, OSU, And Bama two years running

That is not true because Bently did have time to throw ,but his ball placement was not the best . With Manning (lol) better placement and down field passes.
Eh, He completed 64% of his passes and that was with multiple drops and balls batted down at the line of scrimmage, some coming on 3rd down. I didn't see WRs running wide open the way it seemed like UGA receivers seemed to be doing. I thought maybe we could have tried to throw it downfield more. I think we really only had the long pass to Edwards on our last TD. Regardless, we needed balance and without a threat to run the football, we were not going to win that game. That starts up front with the offensive line.

Reactions: CliffordII
Hmm, they put up quite a few point in Oklahoma, OSU, And Bama two years running

They scored on Bama once they had Watson and their best teams. That’s what I meant by saying when they were building the program, our defense was shutting them down while they were blowing everyone else out. But they had to have success before against other team to get guys like them to come play, which they did against pretty much everyone but us. I don’t believe we’d have the same success, though I do admit cfb has changed a ton even over the last 5 years. I just think if we went high powered like that we’d see similar results to the Brad Scott era...getting dominated in the trenches and losing a lot more games. Not saying 1-11 Brad Scott..but more like the .500 record Brad Scott with talented teams. Not going to get the 5* QB’s, WRs, OL, and DL to sign up for that.

Keep in mind Clemson only scored 6 points against Bama last season. Saban struggled for a couple of seasons to figure out Ole Miss too.

You make a good point. I just don’t see SC having the same success in the building period from week to week that Clemson had...winning 10 game each year before they had their best players (the past 3 years). When Clemson plays teams in the ACC, it’s clear there is a major difference in the talent on the field. ACC teams are competitive. Not knocking that. But SC won’t have the luxury of that large of a talent gap against teams on a consistent basis outside of Vandy and a handful of teams having an off year or two.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT