ADVERTISEMENT

Throw The Records Out the Window - FORGET The Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportsSuites1

Oct 17, 2007
... unless you're smart enough to TAKE THE POINTS and bet it.

It's been EIGHT YEARS since clemson won in Columbia ... on a last second FG that didn't come CLOSE to covering the spread. We finished 2007 6-6 and didn't go anywhere. clemson was 9-3 ranked Top 25 and a 10-point favorite when a BS 50-yarder set up that FG with under a minute to go, costing us the game straight up but WINNING the bet with ease.

The year before we went to clemson, they were again ranked Top 25 ... we had just barely beaten Middle Tennessee the week before to become 'bowl eligible' - clemson was an 11-point favorite and we beat them STRAIGHT UP (coming back from THREE scores down). Then WE (on a high) beat Houston in the Liberty Bowl while clemson went on to crap against Kentucky in their bowl game.

After that loss in 2007 (a WIN ATS) clemson beat us there in '08 and then the STREAK started - FIVE IN A ROW (three of which clemson entered the game as the betting FAVORITE).

We beat 'em with good teams, we beat their BEST teams with teams that weren't really all that hot, we beat 'em with GREAT teams ... even when they've been OBVIOUSLY 'better' we've beaten 'em and we've CERTAINLY ALMOST ALWAYS "beaten the spread".

clemson has a very good team, they would probably be the 4th or 5th best team in the SEC this year but they ARE NOT 17 1/2 points better than the Gamecocks. When our guys 'quit' we get slaughtered (see 63 in '03) when clemson quits THEY get slaughtered (see 70 v. WVA not too long ago). When we BOTH play 'hard' we do BETTER than 'good' and we play VERY WELL in Columbia when the fans are screaming and clemson is dropping the ball.

IF our guys SHOW UP we will 'cover' ... and lesser SC teams have beaten higher ranked, much better clemson teams STRAIGHT UP before ... HERE and THERE - but especially HERE when the fans are screaming. We've got NOTHING to lose ... they have EVERYTHING to lose. clemson CANNOT take the pressure. We have NO pressure. clemson may well win, they SHOULD win, they're BETTER than we are ... so what?!!! We've 'been there' MANY times before and pulled it off. RECENTLY, very recently.

clemson ain't gonna' cover 17 1/2 ... and they might drop it a few times and LOSE. THEY'VE BEEN KNOWN TO!!!

Our players will be crying "Please make the bad man stop mommy" before the second quarter.
Sad to say, I agree! Just hate we've gone down this far this fast and, especially, under the leadership of one of the best ever - Spurrier! I just can't believe he let this happen (and he DID - the buck stops with him - didn't change ONE thing last year when he recognized what was happening - only hired his old-time bud, Hoke, which made NO difference - only worse)! Whatever - that's water over the dam and all we can do now, helplessly regardless of WHO we're playing on Sat., is hope for a great hire. About the spread - I'm amazed it's less than 4 td's and it could be worse unless EVERYBODY just lays back - then it'll be closer to 2 td's! We've checked out except Pharaoh, Skai, our kickers & one or two more & as energetic as Elliott is, he's just finishing out now too handling interviews, etc. the best he can. He has no choice imo and I so admire his effort & dedication!!

SS1 always seems to have interesting posts. I hate to say it but there is no amount of kool-aid that makes me think we will magically beat clemmy this year. I will root as hard as I can for our Gamecocks but the reality of the situation says we likely lose Saturday. My hope is that we play hard and keep it respectable.

Please, just stop.

We used to fly into Logan, check-in at the Hyatt Boston Harbor then enjoy the water taxi the next morning over to visit with Goodwin Proctor on State Street, where our primary lawyer was a 'Harvard' guy - also a pr$ck; who (initially) thought we were hicks 'cause our drawls were 'south' of Ted Turner's - but after we told the firm's managing partner his golden-boy was an a-hole he shut up and did his job; while we usually met up with Bill Weld and strolled over to lunch at Faneuil Hall or, on occasion - just down the street to Legal Seafood.
'Bout everyone I ever met from 'Harvard' in Boston was a pr$ck who thought we were hicks ... and almost every one of them worked for somebody else, sometimes us!!! ... always muttering under their breath "this guy drives me nuts" - but taking the money. HARVARD!!! HA! Bunch of 'hired-guns' ... supping at the trough of other people's invention and acumen. Much like, actually - almost EXACTLY like 'ladies of the evening'.

Don't dab that perfume on too heavy-handed!!! (FWIW - the firm's BC lawyers were almost always 'nice guys').
HARVARD! HA!!! You probably have it plastered on a vanity license plate. (Our 'story' had a happy ending, that barrister who was initially such a pr$ck [summa cum laude at Williams College, magna cum laude at Harvard Law] after a while got to be a pretty decent guy - once we 'loosened' him up).

You 'ought try that instead of giving 'directives' ... no one pays attention to the 'hired help' anyway ... just stick to the IP and draw your check on Friday.

[QUOTE="SportsSuites1, post: 1201007, member We've got NOTHING to We've 'been there' MANY times before and pulled it off. RECENTLY, very recently.[/QUOTE]

Pulled it off? Exactly when?
In the series history, when Clemson has finished the season with a winning record and USC has finished with a losing record, the Gamecocks have won exactly twice, neither in WB
1896 USC won. Clemson finished 2-1 and USC 1-2. Game at Columbia before WB
1996, USC won. Clemson finished 7-5, and USC 5-7. Game at Clemson
Where are the MANY times?

Last edited:

It's been EIGHT YEARS since clemson won in Columbia ... on a last second FG that didn't come CLOSE to covering the spread. We finished 2007 6-6 and didn't go anywhere. clemson was 9-3 ranked Top 25 and a 10-point favorite when a BS 50-yarder set up that FG with under a minute to go, costing us the game straight up but WINNING the bet with ease.

The year before we went to clemson, they were again ranked Top 25 ... we had just barely beaten Middle Tennessee the week before to become 'bowl eligible' - clemson was an 11-point favorite and we beat them STRAIGHT UP (coming back from THREE scores down). Then WE (on a high) beat Houston in the Liberty Bowl while clemson went on to crap against Kentucky in their bowl game.

After that loss in 2007 (a WIN ATS) clemson beat us there in '08 and then the STREAK started - FIVE IN A ROW (three of which clemson entered the game as the betting FAVORITE).

We beat 'em with good teams, we beat their BEST teams with teams that weren't really all that hot, we beat 'em with GREAT teams ... even when they've been OBVIOUSLY 'better' we've beaten 'em and we've CERTAINLY ALMOST ALWAYS "beaten the spread".

clemson has a very good team, they would probably be the 4th or 5th best team in the SEC this year but they ARE NOT 17 1/2 points better than the Gamecocks. When our guys 'quit' we get slaughtered (see 63 in '03) when clemson quits THEY get slaughtered (see 70 v. WVA not too long ago). When we BOTH play 'hard' we do BETTER than 'good' and we play VERY WELL in Columbia when the fans are screaming and clemson is dropping the ball.

IF our guys SHOW UP we will 'cover' ... and lesser SC teams have beaten higher ranked, much better clemson teams STRAIGHT UP before ... HERE and THERE - but especially HERE when the fans are screaming. We've got NOTHING to lose ... they have EVERYTHING to lose. clemson CANNOT take the pressure. We have NO pressure. clemson may well win, they SHOULD win, they're BETTER than we are ... so what?!!! We've 'been there' MANY times before and pulled it off. RECENTLY, very recently.

clemson ain't gonna' cover 17 1/2 ... and they might drop it a few times and LOSE. THEY'VE BEEN KNOWN TO!!!
i hope you are wrong

I hardly ever put as much effort into a post as SS1 did in the OP at the top of this thread. I probably won't today either. If I were going to, I would devote myself to talking about a future after Saturday. Saturday isn't going to be too good.

We used to fly into Logan, check-in at the Hyatt Boston Harbor then enjoy the water taxi the next morning over to visit with Goodwin Proctor on State Street, where our primary lawyer was a 'Harvard' guy - also a pr$ck; who (initially) thought we were hicks 'cause our drawls were 'south' of Ted Turner's - but after we told the firm's managing partner his golden-boy was an a-hole he shut up and did his job; while we usually met up with Bill Weld and strolled over to lunch at Faneuil Hall or, on occasion - just down the street to Legal Seafood.
'Bout everyone I ever met from 'Harvard' in Boston was a pr$ck who thought we were hicks ... and almost every one of them worked for somebody else, sometimes us!!! ... always muttering under their breath "this guy drives me nuts" - but taking the money. HARVARD!!! HA! Bunch of 'hired-guns' ... supping at the trough of other people's invention and acumen. Much like, actually - almost EXACTLY like 'ladies of the evening'.

Don't dab that perfume on too heavy-handed!!! (FWIW - the firm's BC lawyers were almost always 'nice guys').
HARVARD! HA!!! You probably have it plastered on a vanity license plate. (Our 'story' had a happy ending, that barrister who was initially such a pr$ck [summa cum laude at Williams College, magna cum laude at Harvard Law] after a while got to be a pretty decent guy - once we 'loosened' him up).

You 'ought try that instead of giving 'directives' ... no one pays attention to the 'hired help' anyway ... just stick to the IP and draw your check on Friday.

Seriously, Get some help

Reactions: Heyward1
i hope you are wrong

Heck, I've been wrong MANY times, but not THIS time.
We've got the Constitution we have 'cause Washington wouldn't surrender even after losing dang near every fight year after year before finally boxing in Cornwallis at Yorktown ... who DID 'give up'.
Just beat the guy right in front of you, knock the dog out of HIM and keep your eyes open, never quit. If we get knocked down don't STAY down. We came from 3 scores back AT CLEMSON few years ago (as a double-digit underdog) ... clemson's panic will play into what we need to do on Saturday. They'll be AFRAID to loose, AFRAID to be THE GUY who 'drops the punt' 'fumbles the ball' drops the pass' 'misses the tackle' 'falls down' 'gets fooled' 'gets beat' or 'gets hurt'.
Remember Spiller starting the game a few years back returning the opening KO for a TD in a game clemson was the BIG favorite? He followed that up with 17 yards on 19 touches and ended up crying under a towel on the end of the bench.
This guy is already 'practicing' ...
images

Reactions: scmuffin02
Heck, I've been wrong MANY times, but not THIS time.
We've got the Constitution we have 'cause Washington wouldn't surrender even after losing dang near every fight year after year before finally boxing in Cornwallis at Yorktown ... who DID 'give up'.
Just beat the guy right in front of you, knock the dog out of HIM and keep your eyes open, never quit. If we get knocked down don't STAY down. We came from 3 scores back AT CLEMSON few years ago (as a double-digit underdog) ... clemson's panic will play into what we need to do on Saturday. They'll be AFRAID to loose, AFRAID to be THE GUY who 'drops the punt' 'fumbles the ball' drops the pass' 'misses the tackle' 'falls down' 'gets fooled' 'gets beat' or 'gets hurt'.
Remember Spiller starting the game a few years back returning the opening KO for a TD in a game clemson was the BIG favorite? He followed that up with 17 yards on 19 touches and ended up crying under a towel on the end of the bench. @SportsSuites1 already 'practicing' ...
oldguywithfunnyface1.jpg

Reactions: ClemsonJaysun

I'm not sure what this has to do with Carolina football, but I can relate with the "hick" part. I've worked up north in Mass, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio. Most people in the north think that we are all backward hicks in the south. From my experience Ohio is the worst state for this. I have seen a lot of backward towns and people "up north".

What can you say about this thread... If it's a troll, it's a terrible attempt. If it's real... My god

Reactions: V1RUS

Trooper Dell is this you????

Sports, if our players had your sprit we might have a chance. Unfortunately, they don't and the sooner you face reality, the sooner life will be kinder, sweeter for you.

The OP's points are valid. I don't think he predicted a win for the Gamecocks, he was simply reminding everyone of another dynamic in rivalries such as this.
As I read the comments, I wondered how many of those commenting will watch the game. I believe most to all will, and do not believe they will watch because they enjoy watching the trainwreck we've become lately. They will watch JUST IN CASE we somewhow find the determination to pull out a victory. That's all the OP was trying to say.

Reactions: SportsSuites1

Since your so sure about this being a sure thing just put a picture of your ticket on here showing where your taking Carolina straight up. That way we all can send our condolences to your bank account.

This year we are in a transition and they are having a great year. We could win the game cause anything is possible, but no one should put their money on it. We should all pull for our guys to go out and finish up the season and thank the seniors for their great careers. Hope for the best but this one just isn't looking good for the home team

This might be the BEST post I've read in a while? Why? I have no f*cking idea!

My goodness would I pay big money to know what the real story is with SS1. My bet is he's living in his parents' basement somewhere in Lugoff. Seems like he at least reads a lot when he isn't on FGF making bombastic predictions and scolding others on their grammar.

My goodness would I pay big money to know what the real story is with SS1. My bet is he's living in his parents' basement somewhere in Lugoff. Seems like he at least reads a lot when he isn't on FGF making bombastic predictions and scolding others on their grammar.

You may be onto something. We could do a charity raffle - "An evening of bourbon, grammar, and stories with SS1". I would certainly buy a chance to win!

I honestly think this 'wacko' thinks that 'covering' the spread 'is' just as 'good' as 'winning' the game. All 'he' ever talks about 'when' talking about 'Clemson' is covering the 'spread'. Ss1, the 'spread' is just a 'number' someone 'makes' up to 'create' action. The 'real' accomplishment is 'winning', something your 'not' too 'familiar' with. I 'guess' when 'your' 3-8 you 'have' to 'take' the 'moral' victories any 'way' 'you' can 'get' 'them'.

Reactions: CockyOneStraight

sounds good, but the last time our defense was this bad, they beat us 63-17......or something like that....I'll just wait and see if a fired up team comes out or one that wants to quit and go home.....

I am just curious who are the 3 or 4 teams in the SEC that you think are better than Clemson?

I don't know-
I'm actually kinda diggin it.
Suites, You have given me some, (just a little mind you)- "ray of hope". And for that I am thankful. Truly...............thankful. "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things".
Go Gamecocks!

Reactions: SportsSuites1
I am just curious who are the 3 or 4 teams in the SEC that you think are better than Clemson?
I'm sure he would say something like Kentucky, Tenn, LSU, and south Carolina. That would be just about right coming from that wacko.

Pay me and I'll let you swim in the ocean.

He has no room for correcting grammar either.
I honestly think this 'wacko' thinks that 'covering' the spread 'is' just as 'good' as 'winning' the game. All 'he' ever talks about 'when' talking about 'Clemson' is covering the 'spread'. Ss1, the 'spread' is just a 'number' someone 'makes' up to 'create' action. The 'real' accomplishment is 'winning', something your 'not' too 'familiar' with. I 'guess' when 'your' 3-8 you 'have' to 'take' the 'moral' victories any 'way' 'you' can 'get' 'them'.

You missed about fourteen incorrect 'quotes'.

Reactions: cemani
I know how the OP feels. I felt that way when UF had Tebow and was winning National Championships and we were sleepwalking through 7-6 season as Bowden was making his way towards the Exits. I tried to convince myself that even though we were a 5 or 6 loss team and they were #1 or #2 we could somehow find a way to win the game and upset them.

Then we would end up losing by 30 points. I think the best way to think in a situation like this is be realistic. If by the 1 in a 1000 chance an upset occurs then that is awesome. But you kind of have to see the situation as it is and think long term.

Bowden retired and Jimbo took over and we climbed our way back and turned the tables on Florida. Now Florida is slowly creeping their way back.

South Carolina has made some changes and if they get the right coach then the tide can turn. But that takes time.

But maybe they will surprise some people this weekend. They still have to play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT