ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a new baseball coach

We have traditionally struggled at the SEC tournament, even with good teams for some unknown reason . So it looks like we’ll be a two seed somewhere close by with one last chance to salvage a once promising season. Make a super and Kingston’s here to stay another year like it or not in my opinion. If we screw the pooch in the regional, Ray needs to man up and give him his walking papers.

Reactions: Jbouton2
We have traditionally struggled at the SEC tournament, even with good teams for some unknown reason . So it looks like we’ll be a two seed somewhere close by with one last chance to salvage a once promising season. Make a super and Kingston’s here to stay another year like it or not in my opinion. If we screw the pooch in the regional, Ray needs to man up and give him his walking papers.
I'm not sure we would win a regional as a host. Just my honest opinion.
You're correct on the Super regional statement.
I also agree with your last statement, especially if my opening sentence would hold true.

Reactions: CockFamily6
$1.3 according to that list. 6th in the conference. Hes won a natty, played for another (losing to us), and been to Omaha i think 7 times in just 16 years as a head coach. The only guy in the conference that has had more success is Corbin @ Vandy.
Correct on the 1.3. I misread the list.
Still misguided societal priorities.

Ray won’t act on this unless the FIRE TANNER chants start up.
I expect Ray ignores the "Fire Tanner" chants as much as he ignored the same chants during his first couple of years as our baseball coach. Good thing he did.

Reactions: mikeypen
Yes it was a good thing. However, I'm beginning to think this story cannot turn out the same with a current HC.
I dont see how it can. I dont see how as a coach, especally a coach that values hitting can describe this season as anything other than a failure. On top of that you have what was turning out to be your best year yet end in epic failure. Where do you go from there? Fire your hitting coach after one year? That doesnt seem like a fix to me... not even close.
Ray needs to find out what Kingston plans to do about the slide we have been in since Kingston was hired... and it better be good.
That said, I expect another free pass for Kingston and another year to right a ship that continues to take on water while we all struggle to find something about the program we like... again.

Reactions: 92Pony and Jbouton2
I dont see how it can. I dont see how as a coach, especally a coach that values hitting can describe this season as anything other than a failure. On top of that you have what was turning out to be your best year yet end in epic failure. Where do you go from there? Fire your hitting coach after one year? That doesnt seem like a fix to me... not even close.
Ray needs to find out what Kingston plans to do about the slide we have been in since Kingston was hired... and it better be good.
That said, I expect another free pass for Kingston and another year to right a ship that continues to take on water while we all struggle to find something about the program we like... again.
I can't help but wonder what effect Kingston's analytics approach has on a hitting coach. For example, what if a hitting coach doesn't use analytical data? Kind of like teaching from the "basics" of hitting. Wonder how much analytical thoughts Tony Gwynn, Ted Williams, Christian Walker etc used ?
Sure wish RT would press him on that.

Reactions: bucketdad
I can't help but wonder what effect Kingston's analytics approach has on a hitting coach. For example, what if a hitting coach doesn't use analytical data? Kind of like teaching from the "basics" of hitting. Wonder how much analytical thoughts Tony Gwynn, Ted Williams, Christian Walker etc used ?
Sure wish RT would press him on that.
I'd like to think those guys would be opposed to overthinking baseball.
I also think overthinking has been a problem here since day one of the Kingston era

Reactions: 92Pony
How much would y’all pay to get Clemson “other” Coach ? Is he worth 600k.
They are crushing the ACC.

Last edited:
How much y’all pay to get Clemson “other” Coach ? Is he worth 600k.
They are crushing the ACC.
Right now I would settle having a year like Ole Miss and Mississippi St had just to get rid of our current HC.
If players leave because they like our current HC, so be it. The new staff will have to start with that. The right guy however could influence some of the potential defectors to stay IMO.

We don't deserve to host.

It doesn't matter. I don't see us winning no matter where we play. Things just aren't working at all for this team for whatever reason.

It is what it is.

Reactions: cockofdawn
We don't deserve to host.

It doesn't matter. I don't see us winning no matter where we play. Things just aren't working at all for this team for whatever reason.

It is what it is.
I feel where a lot of you are coming from, but I wouldn't slough it off as we don't deserve to host I'll take the host), if you look at our entire body of work I think we're on the right side of the bubble, we just have to see if another team on the bubble is more deserving and remember the NCAA is going to pick a nice site that is going to but on a show and make some money, like Founder's Park. Now are we playing like a host team, at the moment I'm in agreement, something just doesn't seem right that a season could turn like this after the start we had, but I'll take you back six months to a football team that the entire fan base had given up on and were 20+ point dogs to a top ranked team and well you know the rest of the story, I'm just reminding you that sports are a funny thing and crazy stuff happens and it can turn both ways good and bad.

Reactions: Neanderthal
I feel where a lot of you are coming from, but I wouldn't slough it off as we don't deserve to host I'll take the host), if you look at our entire body of work I think we're on the right side of the bubble, we just have to see if another team on the bubble is more deserving and remember the NCAA is going to pick a nice site that is going to but on a show and make some money, like Founder's Park. Now are we playing like a host team, at the moment I'm in agreement, something just doesn't seem right that a season could turn like this after the start we had, but I'll take you back six months to a football team that the entire fan base had given up on and were 20+ point dogs to a top ranked team and well you know the rest of the story, I'm just reminding you that sports are a funny thing and crazy stuff happens and it can turn both ways good and bad.
If you have a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back.....
Couldn't resist, like the song 😁

Regardless of what happens in the regionals, still don't see Kingston being fired this year. One month ago we had played 40 games, had lost only 6 of them and were ranked at or near the top of every poll. We were also just coming off of a sweep of #2 UF.

This last month has not been kind, but how do you fire a coach who had that much success that deep into a season? If we had kept pace, it might have been the best regular-second record any Carolina baseball team has ever recorded with one of the toughest schedules in the country.

Regardless of what happens in the regionals, still don't see Kingston being fired this year. One month ago we had played 40 games, had lost only 6 of them and were ranked at or near the top of every poll. We were also just coming off of a sweep of #2 UF.

This last month has not been kind, but how do you fire a coach who had that much success that deep into a season? If we had kept pace, it might have been the best regular-second record any Carolina baseball team has ever recorded with one of the toughest schedules in the country.
IF. Two letters, but very big word.. it wasn’t. But Tanner will not fire him, period!!

Reactions: turncock
I just don't see how you can fire a coach still currently 20 games above .500 who has been in the polls for most of the season?
I've seen it past 5 weeks. Kind of like his previous years here minus the year with Holbrook players.

I've seen it past 5 weeks. Kind of like his previous years here minus the year with Holbrook players.
So he's proved he's better than Holbrooke, but that he can't recruit! Whittle said today the next class ain't looking so hot so it's portal or bust.

Everyone has different opinions.

baseball isn't football. We clearly have some players that have totally lost the feel of the game. We have key injuries to players that will prevent them from being able to return to mid-season form.

As I said, I don't think it matters if we host are not. This team has some serious internal issues.

Everyone has different opinions.

baseball isn't football. We clearly have some players that have totally lost the feel of the game. We have key injuries to players that will prevent them from being able to return to mid-season form.

As I said, I don't think it matters if we host are not. This team has some serious internal issues.
Your thoughts on specific internal issues? What they are etc...

I just don't see how you can fire a coach still currently 20 games above .500 who has been in the polls for most of the season?
Unfortunately for Kingston, this once National Championship program, does not feel just being “over .500” is good enough. You think Bama football is happy with a top ten ranking?? It’s World Series or else!

Still alive, but lost the next game after you typed this.

And we've gone from "probably hosting a regional and top 10" to "chance to host regional" with no mention of ranking.

So no, didn't age well.
Hosting a Regional !
Can hate on our gamecocks All you want but the season is not over. If we lose our regional you can come back and celebrate!
But as of today yes it aged very well thank you

Reactions: section907
Hosting a Regional !
Can hate on our gamecocks All you want but the season is not over. If we lose our regional you can come back and celebrate!
Happy it happened. I didn't see it coming however. Time to prove we were worthy of this selection. I'll be pulling for the guys!

Hosting a Regional !

Can you point to a post where I hate on the baseball team? No? Because I don't care enough about it.

I do laugh at posters like you who jump the gun while whining about others jumping the gun. I find the irony very amusing.

But no, it didn't age well, unless we're still ranked in the top ten? Did I miss that? I admit I don't follow it too closely.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucketdad
Can you point to a post where I hate on the baseball team? No? Because I don't care enough about it.

I do laugh at posters like you who jump the gun while whining about others jumping the gun. I find the irony very amusing.

But no, it didn't age well, unless we're still ranked in the top ten? Did I miss that? I admit I don't follow it too closely.
You don’t follow It closely, but you come on a baseball thread and post negativity, you need to follow it less closely!

Reactions: mikeypen
You don’t follow It closely, but you come on a baseball thread and post negativity, you need to follow it less closely!

Can you point to that negativity, or was it a post about a specific poster putting his foot in his mouth?

Can you point to that negativity, or was it a post about a specific poster putting his foot in his mouth?
have you read your post just in this thread, I wouldn’t call them positive, especially from someone that doesn’t follow baseball closely!

have you read your post just in this thread, I wouldn’t call them positive, especially from someone that doesn’t follow baseball closely!

I don't think I've posted in any baseball threads other than this. And yes, I read my posts. See some posts laughing at a poster jumping the gun while telling people not to jump the gun. Then replying to people who think that's somehow hating on the team. I'm thinking some people are just looking for it due to the ongoing back and forth

Still don't see any actual hating on the team though. Can you point to some if that negativity?

Last edited:
So if we were to win our regional, do we then go to the overall #1 seed's place? ... or do we know yet?

Get over firing him we have a great team that injuries hurt. Put that firing energy into something else like getting our roads fixed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT