ADVERTISEMENT

Titus Touch Car Wash

They are playing in the playoffs and we are making idiots out of ourselves. This may be some of the most embarrassing stuff I have seen on our behalf, but I am sure we take that as a challenge to set our bar lower.
On the outside looking in it made sense. 3/29/17 business sold 325,000, 4/8/17 committed. When people on the board dug deeper it ended. This was groupthink lol. The bigger question now is why did the City of Florence spend so much for a lousy piece of land?

Last edited:
Reactions: jimnasium
On the outside looking in it made sense. When people with knowledge of the real estate business started digging deeper it ended. This was groupthink lol. The bigger question now is why did the City of Florence spend so much for a lousy piece of land?

Newspring doesn't have a campus in Florence. The money has to come from somewhere.

It's called gentrification. What will happen is investors will buy a lot of the land and businesses in the area to raise the property value on paper, then "donate" the property and land to a nonprofit run by the local government to keep the taxes at a minimum, then they will start building new, shiny buildings and raise the actual value while still having a relatively low tax rate. It's what's happening in Atlanta, DC, Detroit, and several other cities. This brings in the middle class and drives out the poor, thus making a killing on what is now considered prime real estate. But I'm sure this is happening all over the country to get Clemson recruits.

For the record, here's a letter to the editor days later about the gentrification of Florence:
http://www.scnow.com/opinion/letters/article_0544660a-18b8-11e7-9b1f-a33a6cebf95f.html

So we've got a Clemsux fan who read Business Appraisals For Dummies who believes that an appraisal of a car washing business in Florence, SC could credibly be valued at 10x EBITDA. Wow.

Just a basic concept used in appraisals to say the premise of this discussion might be flawed, not trying to complete a comprehensive analysis of the value of this business / property.

You guys work so hard to create a story to explain Clemson’s success because you can’t grasp the more subtle congruence of many factors such as coaching, facilities, player development, culture, etc, etc. All you could think to do is cheat.

But keep on with your juvenile name calling and outlandish conspiracy theories. It’s entertaining up to the point where I think some of you are mentally unstable.

FWIW Newspring does have a campus in Florence.

They're everywhere. The Walmart of churches. Anyway, in that case I have no idea how or why a city that has a perfectly good Newspring would get involved in this. Does Rock Hill have one? We need one there.

Just a basic concept used in appraisals to say the premise of this discussion might be flawed, not trying to complete a comprehensive analysis of the value of this business / property.

You guys work so hard to create a story to explain Clemson’s success because you can’t grasp the more subtle congruence of many factors such as coaching, facilities, player development, culture, etc, etc. All you could think to do is cheat.

But keep on with your juvenile name calling and outlandish conspiracy theories. It’s entertaining up to the point where I think some of you are mentally unstable.
First, your fanbase talked about The Rock Hill bagman for years, so spare us the lectures. Second, the best predictor for future behavior is past behavior. Given Clemson's history, is it really any shock some of our fans think your boosters are gaming the system?

It's called gentrification. What will happen is investors will buy a lot of the land and businesses in the area to raise the property value on paper, then "donate" the property and land to a nonprofit run by the local government to keep the taxes at a minimum, then they will start building new, shiny buildings and raise the actual value while still having a relatively low tax rate. It's what's happening in Atlanta, DC, Detroit, and several other cities. This brings in the middle class and drives out the poor, thus making a killing on what is now considered prime real estate. But I'm sure this is happening all over the country to get Clemson recruits.

For the record, here's a letter to the editor days later about the gentrification of Florence:
http://www.scnow.com/opinion/letters/article_0544660a-18b8-11e7-9b1f-a33a6cebf95f.html
Hilarious. Go to google street view and get back to me about the inevitability of that area being gentrified.

Well, it’s not like it’s a stretch to think Clemson is capable of cheating.

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but the tiger is partially correct. The property was owned by Woodrow Johnson. I would assume he leased the property to the boys father to wash cars. The City of Florence bought several parcels on that block in 2017. I would agree that they paid way over market value for all these parcels, which were owned by different people. Based on the sales price of these parcels somebody should be fired or investigated. A search of Woodrow indicates he owns a fairly nice home and has another rental aside from the one he sold to the City of Florence. He operates a trucking company with approx 8 drivers and was registered with the DOT in 1992.

Not sure why the City wants that block or why they would plan to construct a park there.

In conclusion I don't see anything wrong here based on the layers of the onion I peeled, but the sales price for Woodrow's parcel does seem way out of line.

Could be the most embarrassing thread of 2017. Wow.
Recruit Dad had land that sold for 10x market value one week before commitment. Researched it and found it was nothing. What is embarrassing about that?

All we did was put the “Dad got paid through selling property” thing to rest with actual facts. Not sure how that is a bad thing.

Last edited:
I live in Florence, had to run an errand this morning, so I am actually parked on the property right now. Regentrification ? I don't see it happening. It is a corner lot, I could see it going for $40k for a gas station. The location is on the border of downtown and the industrial / rough section.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Don’t know and don’t care. Maybe he thought gifting an asset that could be a revenue generating asset was helpful for the not-for-profit. That is a fairly common type of asset (revenue producing) to gift.
You don't think it's a little odd that it XT is the one flashing the $$$ and getting the new rides then I have a bridge I want to sell you. Guilty as sin and you know it it's been going on for years. How do you buy property from a convict still in jail anyway?

You don't think it's a little odd that it XT is the one flashing the $$$ and getting the new rides then I have a bridge I want to sell you. Guilty as sin and you know it it's been going on for years. How do you buy property from a convict still in jail anyway?
The only real issue here would appear to be that Ezra Thomas never owned that piece of property. But even if he did, being in jail prevents somebody from selling property?

Geez ... you guys are getting sooo excited with your little sleuthing and its been really entertaining... as usual. But you might want to consider there are several ways to appraise the FMV of a property / business. The net income method would yield a value around $ 325,000 if the business generated net revenue just under $ 30,000 annually. But please continue your delusions.
It's actually cash flow method, and the selling price is generally 3 to 5 times average annual cash flow of the previous 5 years, plus the depreciated value of any physical assets. If the business has not been operating for 2/3 years, you don't consider the cash flow aspect.

I live in Florence, had to run an errand this morning, so I am actually parked on the property right now. Regentrification ? I don't see it happening. It is a corner lot, I could see it going for $40k for a gas station. The location is on the border of downtown and the industrial / rough section.
I'm actually in Florence, too, and caught an exclusive pic of you doing work on this case.

26174923_1787646431305695_2002218061_n.png

All in good fun, amigo. :)

Don’t know and don’t care. Maybe he thought gifting an asset that could be a revenue generating asset was helpful for the not-for-profit. That is a fairly common type of asset (revenue producing) to gift.
Non-profits seldom run "for-profit" businesses. It makes no sense for them to to so. They are taxed on the income of the "for-profit" aspect of the business, just like a regular business or if it is a seasonal type business they have UBIT (unrelated business income tax). If they receive property it is to sell, or to use as part of their non-profit purpose.

Reactions: ryanpusc
First, your fanbase talked about The Rock Hill bagman for years, so spare us the lectures. Second, the best predictor for future behavior is past behavior. Given Clemson's history, is it really any shock some of our fans think your boosters are gaming the system?

Amen! If someone knows their past behavior garnered something nice, it’s only natural to think they can go back to behaving the same way. It’s worked before... why wouldn’t it work again?
The timing of this rise is strangely similar to the late 70’s turnaround.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

Dear God in heaven.

Reactions: carolimamike864
I admit that I was confused about Woodrow Johnson owning the property. I was told that XTs dad sold the land, which was wrong, but he still may have sold the business. And there's still the question of the registered agent being from Simpsonville and having the Clemson connections. Who is he and why is he the registered agent? Did he buy the car wash portion from XT's dad? If so, how much did he pay for a business that is closed now. Furthermore, if his father's business just closed and he didn't sell it, where is the money for a new Camaro coming from? The monthly payment on a $25,000 car is between $400 - $700 depending upon credit, which is not cheap.

To me it all seems shady, but that's just an opinion at this point. And none of this is meant to be an indictment of XT. I just don't trust Clemson at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT