ADVERTISEMENT

Back to Louisiana

Jan 10, 2019
FloTown
Well, it looks like I am heading back to Louisiana for the next 5-6 months. Man, it is an absolute mess down there. I was afraid this was gonna be a bad one. Half the power grid is somewhere in the Mississippi River. Last year, there was no power for the first 3-4 weeks. It may be 8 weeks this go round, or more. The few adjusters that I know that are already there are saying the devastation is hard to wrap your mind around. No power. No cell coverage. No internet signal. Nothing open. Last year when I drove in in complete darkness, I got out of the car and I have never seen mosquitoes like that. You couldnt hardly stand to go out to your car at night but living in an RV with 2 other adjusters, you had no choice but keep your extra clothes and what not out in the car. Last trip was one of the most stressful periods of my life (lost one of my closest friends on this planet to Covid and had to watch his funeral online, not to mention the devastation you see every single day) but one of the most fruitful financially. I hate to make my fortunes off of the tragedies of others, but it is what it is. Went from Iowa to Louisiana to Oregon and back to Louisiana. Home for Christmas and then back to Louisiana in January and Texas in February for the freeze event they had. Its hard on a family, though we seem to handle it as best as anyone can. I will miss pretty much all of deer season, and it will be tough to have the time to catch any SC football but I should be good financially for awhile when its over. You can bet that I will be carrying the entire time because NO can be a very rough place, although thankfully, I will be working all govt. buildings/colleges, etc., so I should have some element of safety by virtue of that.
Makes me sad - all the heartache and tragedy in the world. Haiti. Afghanistan. Louisiana. California. It is a tough world. Keep the first responders and the adjusters and most of all, the people living down there in your prayers. They are going to need it. The news will forget it in 2 weeks but the people down there will be dealing with it for the next 3-4 years.

Yes sir. It was really tough. Although, they had no humidity! Cannot say the same for south La.
Yeah, it's hot, but not like the south. I live north of Iowa and the storms in the midwest are no joke. Anyway, good luck. If you have time, pick up a hobby or do something to keep your mind occupied away from home. You're doing important work.

Yeah, it's hot, but not like the south. I live north of Iowa and the storms in the midwest are no joke. Anyway, good luck. If you have time, pick up a hobby or do something to keep your mind occupied away from home. You're doing important work.
Yea, that derico did as much damage in Iowa as the hurricane did in Louisiana - at least the one last year. This one was much, much worse. I am going to take my metal detector in hopes I get to use it a couple of times but thats part of the stress. There is just so much work that its hard to take any time off for fear of getting behind. What sucks is I have worked hard to drop 35 pounds over the last 3 months. When you are in that, you eat what you can, when you can. Afraid I will put it all back on quickly, although admittedly, that is 1st world problems!

Well, it looks like I am heading back to Louisiana for the next 5-6 months. Man, it is an absolute mess down there. I was afraid this was gonna be a bad one. Half the power grid is somewhere in the Mississippi River. Last year, there was no power for the first 3-4 weeks. It may be 8 weeks this go round, or more. The few adjusters that I know that are already there are saying the devastation is hard to wrap your mind around. No power. No cell coverage. No internet signal. Nothing open. Last year when I drove in in complete darkness, I got out of the car and I have never seen mosquitoes like that. You couldnt hardly stand to go out to your car at night but living in an RV with 2 other adjusters, you had no choice but keep your extra clothes and what not out in the car. Last trip was one of the most stressful periods of my life (lost one of my closest friends on this planet to Covid and had to watch his funeral online, not to mention the devastation you see every single day) but one of the most fruitful financially. I hate to make my fortunes off of the tragedies of others, but it is what it is. Went from Iowa to Louisiana to Oregon and back to Louisiana. Home for Christmas and then back to Louisiana in January and Texas in February for the freeze event they had. Its hard on a family, though we seem to handle it as best as anyone can. I will miss pretty much all of deer season, and it will be tough to have the time to catch any SC football but I should be good financially for awhile when its over. You can bet that I will be carrying the entire time because NO can be a very rough place, although thankfully, I will be working all govt. buildings/colleges, etc., so I should have some element of safety by virtue of that.
Makes me sad - all the heartache and tragedy in the world. Haiti. Afghanistan. Louisiana. California. It is a tough world. Keep the first responders and the adjusters and most of all, the people living down there in your prayers. They are going to need it. The news will forget it in 2 weeks but the people down there will be dealing with it for the next 3-4 years.
Be safe .

The few adjusters that I know that are already there are saying the devastation is hard to wrap your mind around. No power. No cell coverage. No internet signal. Nothing open. Last year when I drove in in complete darkness, I got out of the car and I have never seen mosquitoes like that. You couldnt hardly stand to go out to your car at night but living in an RV with 2 other adjusters, you had no choice but keep your extra clothes and what not out in the car.

and that’s before the storm hit! Kidding. I know people down there and get updates, but I can tell you, that’s probably the last state I would choose to live in.

Be safe down there. How do you get into that type of work? I travel nonstop myself and basically live in hotels or my camper.

and that’s before the storm hit! Kidding. I know people down there and get updates, but I can tell you, that’s probably the last state I would choose to live in.

Be safe down there. How do you get into that type of work? I travel nonstop myself and basically live in hotels or my camper.
My wife is from Northern Louisiana - Shreveport area. Horrid! :) As far as getting in the biz, you have to get licensed. Helps to have a construction background and once licensed, get registered with the various firms and learn the software - Xactimate. I have been doing it for almost 5 years. Its a tough biz because in these serious storm situations, its extremely stressful - 7 days a week, 17 hours a day is not at all uncommon. If you get to a certain point though, the money is insane but its tough on a family. I miss my girls terribly when I am gone but then there are times in the year where I am here 24/7 as well. This will be my first deployment thought when I will be taking my dog. Should be interesting. Am trying to find a 5th wheel right now to buy and take down because there is nowhere to stay.

Money is great, but family is better and life is extremely short! To each their own, but I recommend more time around your family sooner than later. If you live long enough, one day you're going to look back at not being around the family enough as your biggest regret in life. 😉 Take that Dr Phil moment and keep it in your head. Be safe, good luck and thanks for going out to help those in need.

As crazy as it sounds. I believe things could have been much worse. I have a ton of family down there. Gulfport fared much better because the way it was rebuilt after Katrina. I hate it for ya bro. Every penny of my charitable giving this year, and then some will go to uninsured families there. I'm retiring to Gulfport and am constantly researching on better ways to build. My family is in the lumber biz and you can believe what I build will be concrete.

Last edited:
My wife is from Northern Louisiana - Shreveport area. Horrid! :) As far as getting in the biz, you have to get licensed. Helps to have a construction background and once licensed, get registered with the various firms and learn the software - Xactimate. I have been doing it for almost 5 years. Its a tough biz because in these serious storm situations, its extremely stressful - 7 days a week, 17 hours a day is not at all uncommon. If you get to a certain point though, the money is insane but its tough on a family. I miss my girls terribly when I am gone but then there are times in the year where I am here 24/7 as well. This will be my first deployment thought when I will be taking my dog. Should be interesting. Am trying to find a 5th wheel right now to buy and take down because there is nowhere to stay.

Yes, horrid is the perfect analogy lol. There are nice places in every state to make homesteads but I have yet to find it in La. I work mills and plants and work schedules similar to yours quite a bit. I also have girls at home that I am missing, thank goodness for facetime at least.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
Take care my friend. As bad as it will be, you’ll be an answer from Heaven for the people who need your help. BTW, love the play on the Delbert McClinton tune in your message title.

All of you hating on LA. Visit Mandeville or Madisonville. Imagine Charleston at half the price, no Yankees and better fishing. California has the nicest weather on the planet but is in Hell fire 4 months outa the year. It hear ya, but its a half truth. People say the same about SC. All depends on your lifestyle

Yea, that derico did as much damage in Iowa as the hurricane did in Louisiana - at least the one last year. This one was much, much worse. I am going to take my metal detector in hopes I get to use it a couple of times but thats part of the stress. There is just so much work that its hard to take any time off for fear of getting behind. What sucks is I have worked hard to drop 35 pounds over the last 3 months. When you are in that, you eat what you can, when you can. Afraid I will put it all back on quickly, although admittedly, that is 1st world problems!
Yeah, I imagine it is hard to get a routine going when so much work is calling.

Money is great, but family is better and life is extremely short! To each their own, but I recommend more time around your family sooner than later. If you live long enough, one day you're going to look back at not being around the family enough as your biggest regret in life. 😉 Take that Dr Phil moment and keep it in your head. Be safe, good luck and thanks for going out to help those in need.
I agree 100%. By the same token, you know if things are good enough to be gone for extended periods. My wife and I have always kind of done our own thing and been pretty independent. Trust me, I wont be doing this year in and year out. I almost skipped this one but the money I made last year went to buying our new home and doing updates in it so the balance has gotten a bit low. If I go for this run, I wont have those expenses so it would make a big difference. But you are absolutely right. If I ever feel like I am losing them by being gone, I would pull the plug in a heartbeat. I guess the good thing for me on these ventures is that I dont have the time to get tempted! The schedule is enough to drive you mad.

As crazy as it sounds. I believe things could have been much worse. I have a ton of family down there. Gulfport fared much better because the way it was rebuilt after Katrina. I hate it for ya bro. Every penny of my charitable giving this year, and then some will go to uninsured families there. I'm retiring to Gulfport and am constantly researching on better ways to build. My family is in the lumber biz and you can believe what I build will be concrete.
You are a good man. Those folks are going to need it. I am hoping to be able to take down a bunch of supplies with me.

This all sucks. Wish we could go about 15 years without an event like this. Im not sure how many are aware how bad the ice event in TX disrupted our economy.

This all sucks. Wish we could go about 15 years without an event like this. Im not sure how many are aware how bad the ice event in TX disrupted our economy.
Man, it was crazy there. I felt so bad for some of the insureds that I worked with. A ton of people there had 10K max water damage clauses in their policy. Do you know how hard it is to have to point that out to a 75 year old lady who has 100K worth of damage? 10K wouldnt cover their debris removal.

Pm me cockcrows...You will go b4 me and I would like to kick in on some relief supplies. Also when you get on th ground you may could give me some insight on how I could help. I'm in construction.

Pm me cockcrows...You will go b4 me and I would like to kick in on some relief supplies. Also when you get on th ground you may could give me some insight on how I could help. I'm in construction.
I will do that Brad. It will be next week before we try to head down because right now, there is just nothing working and its too dangerous. Infrastructure is shot. Our biggest concern right now is finding accommodations because there is no internet in order to book things through.

Yeah..I was in Gpt 3 days after Katrina. I had to wait for Diane Sawyer to finish a broadcast before we could show the National Guard my father in laws Id to go to their demolished home. I know batteries, water , and bug spray are a big need. I will clean out my closet as well for clothes. I had a trip planned in October. Let me know. I wanna help.

Yeah..I was in Gpt 3 days after Katrina. I had to wait for Diane Sawyer to finish a broadcast before we could show the National Guard my father in laws Id to go to their demolished home. I know batteries, water , and bug spray are a big need. I will clean out my closet as well for clothes. I had a trip planned in October. Let me know. I wanna help.
Lets touch base this weekend and we can get together. I am seriously considering buying a 5th wheel because I get tired of paying crazy rents on the road so if I do that, I will have a lot of extra room to carry supplies down. Last year, we were able to put a bunch of folks in touch with the cajun navy and got them some help. Good folks in that organization.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
Roger that. I will be at the game. We could meet up..If not...LMK what you need. OSB is cheap again, and ill go get anything. Thank you my brother.

Be safe and take care of yourself! Can't imagine the devastation that you're walking into. Prayers to you and all of the families that are trying to rebuild their lives.

Sounds like you and your wife/family are all on the same page. You may be away for a while, but sometimes you have to be. My dad has always told me "you have to make hay while the sun is shining". Go get that money while it's there to be made. And when you get back, relax, and take them on an extra special trip.

I know how tough it can be dealing with flooding and the aftermath. In my case, I invited the water damage restoration expert, and it made a huge difference. If you ever need help with that, I can recommend checking out https://www.alldryus.com/texas/dallas-water-damage-restoration/ for their services.
It's heartbreaking to see so much tragedy and heartache in the world, from natural disasters to conflicts. Keeping the first responders, adjusters, and most importantly, the people living in affected areas in our thoughts and prayers is so important.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT