ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Thread 2024

Cause a game is 4 quarters and winning the first quarter doesn’t mean squat. Teams get better as the game goes along at least ones with winning records. That’s coaching.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Many of the players transferring probably are interesting in being paid. Even $25K a year would be extremely meaningful to college kids. Even if you remove the money factor, the no-wait portal has created a timeshare situation for schools like us. If you can't pay them enough and you're not on a annual path to the playoffs, why wouldn't they move around frequently?

I'll ask once again and see if you can come up with anything once again. How do we go 10-2 in first quarters with the toughest schedule in the country if our coaching sucks? That's easily enough games to rule out it being an anomaly.

What a weird statistic… if we were so well coached how did we blow 5 leads?

Reactions: bayrooster
Cause a game is 4 quarters and winning the first quarter doesn’t mean squat. Teams get better as the game goes along at least ones with winning records. That’s coaching.

BOT? Teams with better/deeper talent get better as the game goes along. That's recruiting.

You're not winning 1st quarters on the road against some of the best teams in the country without good coaching.

What a weird statistic… if we were so well coached how did we blow 5 leads?

Layers of talent which we don't have. We barely had a 1st team for most of the season.

In this era of up tempo, having fresh players replace winded players while not losing much from a talent perspective is pure gold. We just don't have that critical component.

There's a reason most of Spurrier's real success was on the heels of the recruiting breakthrough.

Last edited:
Layers of talent which we don't have. We barely had a 1st team for most of the season.

In this era of up tempo, having fresh players replace winded players while not losing much from a talent perspective is pure gold. We just don't have that critical component.

There's a reason most of Spurrier's real success was on the heels of the recruiting breakthrough.

Except we got blown out by a team with less talent than us.

The more logical answer is that the opposing teams adjusted to us much better than we adjusted to them i.e. they were better coached.

What? Gamecocks first team can do what? Spurrier’s success was from players in the state. Winning the first quarter does what?

Jayden McGowan, wr and kick return man, transferring in from Vandy. 100M champ in high school, played 2 years at Vandy. Caught 44 passes freshman yr and 36 this year. Wanted to play for USC out of high school but USC did not recruit him. Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Boston College and Indiana showed interest, but then Justin Stepp got involved. 5’8”, good hands, fast.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
I'm pleasantly surprised that it seems we've been able to offset our portal losses. Hope we keep trending in the right direction.

(IMO, we can't successfully play this game on a yearly basis)

Go Cocks!

We got TE Brady Hunt through the portal. He was a freshman All American. He is a quality pickup. Looks to me that Beamer is getting it done through the portal. Hope Hunt gets quality coaching.

I agree. Beamer filling critical needs with some quality players. Maalik Murphy would be a huge pickup if it happens.

Ole Piss doing well too. Surprised to see Tyler Baron leave TN and end up there.

Many of the players transferring probably are interesting in being paid. Even $25K a year would be extremely meaningful to college kids. Even if you remove the money factor, the no-wait portal has created a timeshare situation for schools like us. If you can't pay them enough and you're not on a annual path to the playoffs, why wouldn't they move around frequently?

I'll ask once again and see if you can come up with anything once again. How do we go 10-2 in first quarters with the toughest schedule in the country if our coaching sucks? That's easily enough games to rule out it being an anomaly.
It’s created a time share for every school…not just us

Reactions: Ward Jr
The overall effect is continuous talent funneling to the top teams.

If you're playoff contender with deep pockets, the world is now your oyster more than ever before.
True. That's what happened in the pre-1973 era with the rich schools dominating before the NCAA put a limit on how many players can be on scholarship. I hope we are not going back to that era. But unless the NCAA steps up, we are.. And that's not good for South Carolina football.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Ray Tanner needs to step up, show some leadership and be proactive, within the NCAA, regarding changes to NIL and the Transfer Portal. But, I won't hold my breath that Baseball Ray will.

Ray Tanner needs to step up, show some leadership and be proactive, within the NCAA, regarding changes to NIL and the Transfer Portal. But, I won't hold my breath that Baseball Ray will.

To be fair, Ray could put on the most proactive hat he owns, but how much can he do as a single AD?

I agree, someone needs to step up and lead. But I think it's going to be the "haves" taking the place of the ncaa as far as governing themselves. And I'm afraid they'll make the rules favor themselves.

I've enjoyed how McGowan went from "flipping the wr room" to not being worth an offer in less than 24 hours.

I wish the pumpers realized how toxic they are.

To be fair, Ray could put on the most proactive hat he owns, but how much can he do as a single AD?

I agree, someone needs to step up and lead. But I think it's going to be the "haves" taking the place of the ncaa as far as governing themselves. And I'm afraid they'll make the rules favor themselves.
While that's the prevailing attitude no positive changes will even be discussed. The "haves" are in the catbird seat and don't care.

Reactions: Lurker123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT