ADVERTISEMENT

Unacceptable

Anybody and I mean anybody can be had for the right amt of money including Herman. Don't think Ray even upped the ante when Houston matched USC's offer. Houston!! A somewhat 3rd rate school in a 3rd rate conference. If Herman was made to be happy at USC, he would have stayed.
And herein lies the problem with message boards. The fact that some people actually think this way makes sensible dialogue difficult.

Great post.

McGee would have gotten Herman or Riley or would have made Ga outbid for Kirby. This season is make or break for Will. NO EXCUSES. SS would be 8-4 or 9-3 with this schedule. This will tell if Will has it or not. I hope he shuts all his critics up, including me. So far his staffing has left something to be desired. What bugs the hell out of me is that he is so intelligent but makes some not so intelligent decisions. Had to fire Roper whom he should never have brought with him in the first place, promoting and then having to hire a hand holder for a rookie OC, not using all the allotted practices for a minor bowl BUT he and staff failed to see how important that bowl was for fans, etc. If he would employ the smarts as a HC that he did in wife shopping, USC would have won a NC.

Note:Some of the most argumentative people on earth on this site. They must have the last word. Have seen threads where two of them go on and on, ruining a thread.

Fans opinions shouldn't be a factor to any head Coach in College football. I agree that we should've been more prepared and played a better game, but not for the fans.

Steve Spurrier had a record of 35 - 28 his first 5 seasons here from 2005 - 2009.
He had an amazing run of 42 - 11 from 2010 - 2013, but then ended his career with a record of 9 - 10 from 2014 - 2015. His official record probably would have been even worse the final season if he hadn't quit midway through. My point is he didn't set the world on fire while he was building the program. Then he had 4 seasons of unbelievable success like we have never experienced. But then it all came crashing down. Suggesting that Spurrier would go 9-3 or 8-4 with this schedule seems a little silly to me considering his career coaching record at USC.

Reactions: rogue cock
Sadly, yeah. As fans, we often think other coaches should look at Spurrier's run and say "see, you can win big at SC" but I'm afraid they look at it and say "even if you're the most wildly successful you've ever been at SC, the ceiling is SEC runner-up." And, let's be honest, anyone who looks at the team realizes we kind of backed into it. How many teams with 3 conferences losses have made it to Atlanta? On top of that, SOS didn't even get SEC runner-up with his best and most talented teams at SEC. We may never stockpile talent like we had on those 2011-2013 teams, and they never made it to Atlanta. So I do think coaches look at his run and come to the conclusion that our absolute maximum ceiling is SEC runner-up.

At some point in the future we're going to have gamble on a totally unknown entity, like Clemson did with Dabo.

The SEC has been a 3 or 4 horse race for 15 years, so the same can be said for 9 or 10 coaching jobs in the SEC. A conference championship is not the only metric in determining whether or not a team is successful. Besides, runner up in the SEC is still probably a top 10 team in the country. Hell Alabama went to the playoffs without winning the SEC.

Last edited:
Anybody and I mean anybody can be had for the right amt of money including Herman. Don't think Ray even upped the ante when Houston matched USC's offer. Houston!! A somewhat 3rd rate school in a 3rd rate conference. If Herman was made to be happy at USC, he would have stayed.

You have no idea what kind of offer, if any at all, was made to Herman. I agree with several other posters, Herman was never coming here. I've read may times here on this site that Muschamp was identified and interviewed very early in the process. I think we moved on Muschamp very quickly after Georgia made a move for Smart.

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock
Nope...he would have run to Texas first chance he got.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Ain't worried about gamecock football at all. We are capable of doing great things this year and the future is surely bright. Just hush and let it all play out out. We need to play all this year and every year in the 1984 uni's period cause that's who we really are. Best uni's in the history of college football.

We appeared lost in the coaching search process. Spurrier gave us a 3 month headstart and we still botched it. Tanner interviewed spike dyches..

And herein lies the problem with message boards. The fact that some people actually think this way makes sensible dialogue difficult.
Oh, OK. Will submit all posts to you for approval in the future before actually posting. You are not exactly the kind of sensible dialogue. All you did was personally insult me. That's sensible dialogue?
Will not have any "sensible dialogue" with you in the future. Welcome to Ignoreville. Advise you to do the same with me so you won't have to read my posts.

Last edited:
Herman could have been gotten for the right amount of money and he would have stayed here for the right amount of money. That's the problem with USC-always settling. Ala and Mich hired their coaches away from the pros with all that prestige and salary. That Herman couldn't have been hired away from Houston and not flirt with Texas is laughable.

Reactions: Goose cock
Can't disagree with most of this. I don't think many here believe the promotion of Tanner to AD was a wise move. It really just didn't make any sense. Now we're kind of screwed though. He's probably the most revered of our current/former coaches b/c of the back-to-back national titles and the powerhouse baseball program he established, so firing him isn't really a possibility. Guess we can just hope he realizes he doesn't have it and graciously steps aside into some kind of ambassador role or something. That would be a great fit for him.

For all of Clemson's commitment to success, which can't be overstated, there's no accounting for luck. They got flat lucky with Dabo. Not saying they didn't do their due diligence and vet him thoroughly, but with absolutely no track record as a HC or even a coordinator, it was a real roll of the dice to promote him to HC. But, as they say, the rest is history and he's arguably the best coach in the game.
Danny Ford was just an OL Coach.

Herman could have been gotten for the right amount of money and he would have stayed here for the right amount of money. That's the problem with USC-always settling. Ala and Mich hired their coaches away from the pros with all that prestige and salary. That Herman couldn't have been hired away from Houston and not flirt with Texas is laughable.
No, just no. Based on your theory, we would've lost Spurrier to Bama. They offered more than we could or would but he didn't go. Interesting. Sometimes people are actually motivated by something other than money.

No, just no. Based on your theory, we would've lost Spurrier to Bama. They offered more than we could or would but he didn't go. Interesting. Sometimes people are actually motivated by something other than money.
Hmm... Good point but situation was different and I stand by my post. 99.99% of people are not as high minded as you may think.

That is an absolutely false statement!
There comes a point that "x" amount of dollars is enough for anyone and that person does what they want to do regardless of additional money. If I had 100 million dollars, there is no way I would take a job and live in Bangladesh or Siberia. If I loved my job and had enough money for all my desires, I would not move to a place I did not want to be for more money.

That is an absolutely false statement!
There comes a point that "x" amount of dollars is enough for anyone and that person does what they want to do regardless of additional money. If I had 100 million dollars, there is no way I would take a job and live in Bangladesh or Siberia. If I loved my job and had enough money for all my desires, I would not move to a place I did not want to be for more money.
OK, I an just more cynical and, to put it better, more realistic than you. Ala and Mich have proven that ANY coach can be had for a kazillion dollars.

OK, I an just more cynical and, to put it better, more realistic than you. Ala and Mich have proven that ANY coach can be had for a kazillion dollars.
??? How do you figure? Alabama didn't get their first choice (as we have already covered) and Michigan got an alumnus whose ONLY interest in coaching college ball was at Michigan...and one who wasn't well received at San Fran.

Last edited:
Not the same. The situation with the school (history and outlook) and how easy recruiting is to a school have a major impact on a coach's decision on where to go. Smart or Herman wanted to be highly successful as much as the money. Say what you want but the job is easier in Texas and Georgia than here. That does not mean that they would not be successful here. It just means that the path to success is more work here with a greater chance of failure. Once you get to a certain level of income the other parts of the job come into play more.

We need to stop with the "Clemson showed us the blueprint" rhetoric. Sure, there might be some things that we can take from their rise such as making sure university leadership is aligned with the athletic department, but it would be nearly impossible for us to duplicate what has happened in Clemson

1) You can't duplicate Dabo Swinney. Whether their old AD actually knew what he was doing or if they just got plain lucky, you're never going to know if you've got someone like that on your hands until it happens. Whatever you think of him, he's got an awesome hard knock story to sell people in the media and on the recruiting trail. He came up through the best program in the history of CFB as a coach and player, but he's now created something totally distinct from what is happening at Bama. He's a very rare commodity relative to other head coaches, and he was a monster recruiter as an assistant. Some of our fans make fun of him selling real estate, but that experience probably did nothing but make him more successful now as someone who sells his vision. Add in the fact that this is the social media age and he's got a million sound bytes ready at any time, and it makes it even harder to duplicate his impact.

2) Clemson is a completely different environment from our campus. We make fun of them as sheep herders and all of that, but they've been known as a place that is 100% focused on college football and all that comes with it for a long time. It's only been recently that we actually had some decent spots to tailgate at within walking distance of WB, and they've been selling that down home scene for their whole history. I have no doubt that it is easier to get away with things and shield your program when you're nestled in some far flung hills instead of being in the state capital. Clemson the town is nothing at all and exists just for the purpose of the university. We have a totally different feel that appeals to some kids, but they do a good job of selling the whole safety and 100% devotion to football angle to mamas and grandmamas when they're recruiting. Throw in the media coverage in the capital and it's a totally different ballgame.

3) Clemson already had legit history. Yes, it had been 20 years since they were really nationally relevant, but they did a good job of harping on that 1981 title and all of their conference titles. We have ONE conference title in over 120 years. They had coaches like Frank Howard and Danny Ford who were known across the south and the whole game of CFB. Certainly we pulled a coup bringing in Lou and Spurrier back to back, but we don't have any coaches who are historically known for doing great things as a Carolina man. We all love the memory of Joe Morrison, but people around the country don't remember him and can't point to anything sustained that he did here. This is one of those vicious cycles where you have to have had some success already on a grand scale to duplicate it at a later point. Hell, college basketball is the same way and that's even with a tournament that allows for true Cinderella runs.

We need to try and forge our own path. No, I don't have all the answers, but I know that we can't duplicate the three things I mentioned above with respect to Clemson.

Reactions: luv2hear2001
My last post in this thread. Don't wanna bore the hell out of IF readers with a half page of arguing. I don't have to have the last word in an argument because I am always right.:)

We need to stop with the "Clemson showed us the blueprint" rhetoric. Sure, there might be some things that we can take from their rise such as making sure university leadership is aligned with the athletic department, but it would be nearly impossible for us to duplicate what has happened in Clemson

1) You can't duplicate Dabo Swinney. Whether their old AD actually knew what he was doing or if they just got plain lucky, you're never going to know if you've got someone like that on your hands until it happens. Whatever you think of him, he's got an awesome hard knock story to sell people in the media and on the recruiting trail. He came up through the best program in the history of CFB as a coach and player, but he's now created something totally distinct from what is happening at Bama. He's a very rare commodity relative to other head coaches, and he was a monster recruiter as an assistant. Some of our fans make fun of him selling real estate, but that experience probably did nothing but make him more successful now as someone who sells his vision. Add in the fact that this is the social media age and he's got a million sound bytes ready at any time, and it makes it even harder to duplicate his impact.

2) Clemson is a completely different environment from our campus. We make fun of them as sheep herders and all of that, but they've been known as a place that is 100% focused on college football and all that comes with it for a long time. It's only been recently that we actually had some decent spots to tailgate at within walking distance of WB, and they've been selling that down home scene for their whole history. I have no doubt that it is easier to get away with things and shield your program when you're nestled in some far flung hills instead of being in the state capital. Clemson the town is nothing at all and exists just for the purpose of the university. We have a totally different feel that appeals to some kids, but they do a good job of selling the whole safety and 100% devotion to football angle to mamas and grandmamas when they're recruiting. Throw in the media coverage in the capital and it's a totally different ballgame.

3) Clemson already had legit history. Yes, it had been 20 years since they were really nationally relevant, but they did a good job of harping on that 1981 title and all of their conference titles. We have ONE conference title in over 120 years. They had coaches like Frank Howard and Danny Ford who were known across the south and the whole game of CFB. Certainly we pulled a coup bringing in Lou and Spurrier back to back, but we don't have any coaches who are historically known for doing great things as a Carolina man. We all love the memory of Joe Morrison, but people around the country don't remember him and can't point to anything sustained that he did here. This is one of those vicious cycles where you have to have had some success already on a grand scale to duplicate it at a later point. Hell, college basketball is the same way and that's even with a tournament that allows for true Cinderella runs.

We need to try and forge our own path. No, I don't have all the answers, but I know that we can't duplicate the three things I mentioned above with respect to Clemson.

We need to stop the excuses and the acceptance of poor performances. I’ve stated elsewhere, we have never demanded anything of our football program. The results show it. If anything, Clemson demands high level play while we just kind of show up and give no matter the product. In other parts of our lives we wouldn’t put up with it. We have a larger alumni base and more cash than they do. All while in the same geographical recruiting base. There is zero reason for the lack of success that we have had. It’s ok to demand more.

Wrong again. Nick Saban turned down the Cleveland Browns for a kazillion dollars about five years ago.

We need to stop the excuses and the acceptance of poor performances. I’ve stated elsewhere, we have never demanded anything of our football program. The results show it. If anything, Clemson demands high level play while we just kind of show up and give no matter the product. In other parts of our lives we wouldn’t put up with it. We have a larger alumni base and more cash than they do. All while in the same geographical recruiting base. There is zero reason for the lack of success that we have had. It’s ok to demand more.
I don't disagree with demanding more at all. I just don't buy into the "Clemson gave us a blueprint" notion. I think it can be done here and must be done here; we just have to find the right people with the right kind of vision. I don't think any of us are particularly certain that we have those people in place now whether we're talking university leadership, the AD, or our current coach.

SickIt's great to see so much hope about the future of our football program in the thread. Hell, you'd think it was mid-season and we were 0-6 but it's wonderful that Clemson gives us something to discuss.

I don't disagree with demanding more at all. I just don't buy into the "Clemson gave us a blueprint" notion. I think it can be done here and must be done here; we just have to find the right people with the right kind of vision. I don't think any of us are particularly certain that we have those people in place now whether we're talking university leadership, the AD, or our current coach.
i am

Reactions: kidrobinski
We can carve our own path fine. The Gamecock way. What effect will the new President have on Athletic Dept., if any? Or more likely in 2-3 years?

SickIt's great to see so much hope about the future of our football program in the thread. Hell, you'd think it was mid-season and we were 0-6 but it's wonderful that Clemson gives us something to discuss.

Well, they have won 2 of the last 3 championships and destroyed us along the way. Damn right, I want better. We have been historically mismanaged and had politicians constantly involved. I am glad to be wrong but I don’t think we are in danger of losing either our head coach nor AD to another school based on their performance. Putting up with terrible performance has to stop.

We have been historically mismanaged and had politicians constantly involved. Putting up with terrible performance has to stop.
Why can't we strive to:
-Improve each week,
-be the team that turned the program around,
-be motivated by the "underdog label" against the ranked teams,
-be focused on one thing each week, our opponent.
(except for CSU week, start preparing for Alabama)
-be all we can be for the 5-6 seconds of each play.

As others mention, he would have jumped for Texas in a heartbeat. That was, is, will always be, his dream job. In any kind of business, no matter how much money you throw at someone or how "happy" you make them, if their dream job offers, they are gone.
The same can be said of Smart. Had we gotten him, the moment UGa came open, he would have bolted.

Yup. Because all those situations are comparable, and money is the only reason anyone does anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT