ADVERTISEMENT

UNC cancelling in person classes

I have a son that about to start at UNCC. He will be living on campus, currently classes is 50/50 online/in person. If they go to 100% online will there be a purpose to stay on campus? Will we get refund for house/food that we already paid for?

Yes there is a purpose to stay on campus... .$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

These schools bled money last semester, they can't afford to do another semester/year. One of my interns this year goes to Vandy, their is a clause for their tuition that if a certain percent of time is completed in person, then the tuition/room and board/food is nonrefundable.

If I am looking at examples that hit close to home, meaning that I personally know and regularly interact with the person:
- 3 friends that I work out with every week have had it. 2 say it felt like the flu with a lower fever and worse cough. One had no symptoms but had to get tested before traveling and was positive. Never developed symptoms.

- Both of my parents (mid 60s) just got over it. Said it was miserable but very similar to the flu. I haven't seen my folks since March because my Mom is high risk for complications. Ended up with a bad cough but fully recovered with just rest at home.

- Friend's Mother passed away a few weeks ago. Death was labeled as a result of COVID, but the family is aggressively fighting that as her health was deteriorating way before the pandemic and they can't recall a test ever being administered.

So I'm not saying it isn't real. I just think there's a ton of media hype around every single positive case, and I can only think of one reason why.

One major factor in how bad the infection can be is the load of the virus that a person gets. It takes approximately 1,000 virus particles for an infection to take hold in someone's body. If you get exactly 1,000 particles, you'll probably be asymptomatic or have slight reactions. If you are around a carrier for a long time and get a load of 10,000 particles, the infection will be much much stronger.

Just another reason to mask it up and social distance - so if you do get exposed, the exposure is smaller in your system and your body can handle it.

Had these students even been at campus as long as the incubation period?

At what point does testing positive and being asymptomatic mean go on as if you had the flu. I guess that won’t happen till after November. The numbers on this thing were way off and are getting better by the day. Let it run its course. I’m so tired of this shit.
All the shutting down and opening back up and shutting down. All it is doing is delaying the inevitable..

One major factor in how bad the infection can be is the load of the virus that a person gets. It takes approximately 1,000 virus particles for an infection to take hold in someone's body. If you get exactly 1,000 particles, you'll probably be asymptomatic or have slight reactions. If you are around a carrier for a long time and get a load of 10,000 particles, the infection will be much much stronger.

Just another reason to mask it up and social distance - so if you do get exposed, the exposure is smaller in your system and your body can handle it.
This is a huge factor that is hardly discussed for some reason. It explains why some young, healthy medical care workers have passed away.

If I am looking at examples that hit close to home, meaning that I personally know and regularly interact with the person:
I know several who got it and got well. They were pretty sick, miserable, and had headaches for up to 10 days. Also some that are latino who lost relatives. Latinos and blacks are more likely to get really sick and maybe die.

The reasons why some get sick and others not are still a mystery, but if we had widespread infections, we'd for sure have more fatalities.

Even if the numbers are off. by 25%, that's still a lot of people that have been lost. At some point, there has to be a number that is more than the public can accept. The first wave I am willing to forgive. However, this second wave didn't have to happen. We all have been selfish. Progressives had no business out there in May and June with all the protests. Conservatives have been too eager to get back to normal for fear that Conservative politicians will be blamed. We all have fallen short. Hopefully, the light will come on for everyone at some point and we can listen to the experts for better or worse. If they are wrong, we can blame them.
You think people wanting to get back to work give a damn about conservative politicians? Most of them want top be able to provide for their family again and not watch the rest of the countrey crumble, bvecause if I'm working, that's great. But if no one else is, eventually, I won't have work to go to. Going back to work has very little to do with politics and very much to do with saving this country from economic collapse. And pumping money into the population only speeds that economic collapse. It gives people money today that will be worthless next month due to massive inflation. We need to get the economic wheels rolling again. We didn't shut down for H1N1 when it killed millions, why are we shutting down for this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT