ADVERTISEMENT

We are surrounded by National Championships…

Sending an SOS

Aug 20, 2005
Many of the major football programs around us have national titles in the last 15 years:

UGA
Bama
LSU
Clemson
Auburn
Florida
FSU

The reality is that the SE dominates college football. And despite all of these powerful programs around of them, the Gamecocks have been left out of the mix.

But why not us? I know that’s sort of a rhetorical question, but I’m hoping that CSB is the one who flips the script.

I am excited about what I have seen towards the end of this year and the off-season, and for the first time in quite a while, I am excited for football next season.

Our program is changing. And we all know that Change is slow, but we are making progress. It's nice to have a young coach to build around. We will get there, but it will take time. We have the all the amenities to build a winning program, lets hope that the politics that have kept us in the cellar don't trip us up again. GO Gamecocks!!!

Many of the major football programs around us have national titles in the last 15 years:

UGA
Bama
LSU
Clemson
Auburn
Florida
FSU

The reality is that the SE dominates college football. And despite all of these powerful programs around of them, the Gamecocks have been left out of the mix.

But why not us? I know that’s sort of a rhetorical question, but I’m hoping that CSB is the one who flips the script.

I am excited about what I have seen towards the end of this year and the off-season, and for the first time in quite a while, I am excited for football next season.
If we have talent it will leave. Remember when Clemson had a whole d line that would have been drafted high and they all came back. That’s what it takes and that would never happen here. We have folks bolting for the nfl that would be second or third team on Bama or Uga

If we have talent it will leave. Remember when Clemson had a whole d line that would have been drafted high and they all came back. That’s what it takes and that would never happen here. We have folks bolting for the nfl that would be second or third team on Bama or Uga
I think we'll see people staying now. It's a different mentality than we had under the previous staff. These guys are starting to play for the name on the front of the jersey, more than the one on the back.

Also, most of those bolting this year are done with school anyway, with all the extra eligibility. Can't really fault them for leaving in that case.

Here is the problem. As things currently stand, USC cannot recruit with Clemson and UGA. Just isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future. They select players.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

UGA
Bama
LSU
Clemson
Auburn
Florida
FSU

The next step litmus tests are UK and Tennessee. We have to get back around those programs to attain anything better.

The next step litmus tests are UK and Tennessee. We have to get back around those programs to attain anything better.
exactly and every year we think will be the year that we beat UK but that never happens, and Tennessee and Missouri have completely owned us as well. If we can't beat those teams then we are never going to have a chance at the elite teams

I think we'll see people staying now. It's a different mentality than we had under the previous staff. These guys are starting to play for the name on the front of the jersey, more than the one on the back.

Also, most of those bolting this year are done with school anyway, with all the extra eligibility. Can't really fault them for leaving in that case.
I agree. Garnet Trust may give enough to players while in school to make it worthwhile to stay versus going to the NFL early and risking not getting on a roster. Smart players also want to stay at school to get their degree. Of course, some are getting their degree in 3 years. YMMV and FWIW.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I agree. Garnet Trust may give enough to players while in school to make it worthwhile to stay versus going to the NFL early and risking not getting on a roster. Smart players also want to stay at school to get their degree. Of course, some are getting their degree in 3 years. YMMV and FWIW.
Honestly, for those that have their degree in 3 years, I can't really fault them for leaving. They have their "fall back" in hand, if you will. If they have no desire for a post-graduate degree, wish them well IMO.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach

UGA
Bama
LSU
Clemson
Auburn
Florida
FSU

Location, donors and history. If you are a school who typically is ranked near or around the top for recruiting over a 4-year moving average AND you have competent coach (doesn't have to be great), chances are you are going to be very successful. Sprinkle in a 4-team playoff format and it further increases your probability of remaining successful over time.

Last edited:
There is no reason we can’t be included. There were more guys this year than announced they were coming back than decided to leave which was a positive. Would we have benefited from everyone coming back sure but that’s probably a bit of an unreasonable expectation especially with RBs.

It is tough that we couldn’t capitalize on Spurrier but between encouraging him to stick around too long and then following it up with one of the worst coaching searches in major college history it dug that hole a bit deeper.

Beamer has with one glaring exception put together a staff that has shown an early ability to coach up players. Recruiting gets easier with success and success comes from the ability to develop guys and get more out of them as you start. It is very likely that a lot of warts are going to get covered next year and if they can capitalize on this it’s going to strengthen the growth potential.

It won’t happen overnight but a foundation has been started and how it is built from here will determine where we go.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Why not us? A/D Ray Tanner and the BOT seem to not have the ability or desire to implement a winning football culture. Mr. Tanner was a historically bad hire as a/d. And in return oversees Spurrier get burned out and run the program into the gutter. Then makes a stupid hire to replace Spurrier.

I’m optimistic about Beamer though. We shall see in the coming season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT