ADVERTISEMENT

We gonna get a real OC now?

Someone told me they were hearing rumblings of Phil Longo being the new OC
I’ve heard those same rumblings.

No idea how much truth in those rumblings, but OTOH who really foresaw Rattler and Stogner transferring here?

What’s also interesting is Coach Guge suddenly tweeting about our program. Heard some rumblings on that also.

Would you please explain to me why our OC is deemed by some fans to be so bad? If we had a superstar OC in that position this year with the players we had, how much better would we have been? Perhaps the presumption we don't have a good OC has taken a life of its own.
What plays do you call when the O line doesn't open any holes or protect for more than 2 seconds? All play calls look terrible when they get blown up before they can start.
Well, the OC is in charge of the entire O. So the terrible O-line play is also on him, no?

Well, the OC is in charge of the entire O. So the terrible O-line play is also on him, no?
I'd imagine it's on him if the players were good enough. People said he should scheme for his players. What do you do when they can't perform simple tasks and basics? You teach them, you tell them, you show them. You can't do it for them. We'll see if it's on him if he comes back. If he does, he'll get a chance to prove his worth with some better players and some experience in the system. If not, then obviously Beamer believes Satterfield was the problem. I'm ok either way.

Reactions: WingchunCock
I'm going to wait and see.
Unless Shane knows something the rest of us do not, I would expect some staff changes after bowl season is over.
I'll apologize in advance for the snarkiness that follows ...

There's a long list of assistants and coordinators who have been holding off taking jobs at OU, Texas, LSU, Florida, So Cal, Penn State and Notre Dame just because they are waiting for a phone call from SB on December 31st.

Yes but isn’t the offensive coordinator’s role to coach the entire offense? It’s a system. At the end of the day someone needs to accept ownership and that’s the OC.
They have all accepted responsibility. Still doesn't mean he should be fired. Satt as OC helped get Rattler to Carolina.

We probably shouldn't fire the OC that the best rated QB to ever walk on our campus just committed to play for.

Last edited:
Reactions: jweaks
Apparently one of the reasons Rattler came was bc of Satterfield and his scheme transitioning to the NFL ... Just read it. Tried to put a screenshot of it but evidently I've become electronically stupid

Apparently one of the reasons Rattler came was bc of Satterfield and his scheme transitioning to the NFL ... Just read it. Tried to put a screenshot of it but evidently I've become electronically stupid

I find that a very odd comment considering Satterfields history of success (here and prior) and rattlers history of systems and choices.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I find that a very odd comment considering Satterfields history of success (here and prior) and rattlers history of systems and choices.
It’s a page out of Dabo’s playbook of controlling the narrative. Let’s see if this works for Beamer.

With Rattler, Stogner, Vann and a few good WRs and OL Satt will be okay. Charlie Ward made Brad Scott look like a genius.
Well, Warrick Dunn was rumbling through defenses at that time also - and both benefitted from being behind an outstanding offensive line.

Its what his personal coach said. Like I said I tried to take a screenshot and post it but it didn't work. It was posted on a Carolina website

Its what his personal coach said. Like I said I tried to take a screenshot and post it but it didn't work. It was posted on a Carolina website

Yeah, I think that was in another thread too.

I agree with whoever said they believed that beamers previous relationship probably played a much bigger role. But that's just opinion.

Reactions: chief2791
Yeah, I think that was in another thread too.

I agree with whoever said they believed that beamers previous relationship probably played a much bigger role. But that's just opinion.
Idc that he pulled him in. I'm not happy that he's staying, If that's the plan. I'm also pretty pissed about Barham. I had a friend that said he flipped bc Maryland gave his mother a job

I'm also hearing a rumor that Adkins is retiring, Satt is moving to OL and he's bringing in someone else to call plays. Which would be inline with what he did for the Panthers.

I'm also hearing a rumor that Adkins is retiring, Satt is moving to OL and he's bringing in someone else to call plays. Which would be inline with what he did for the Panthers.
Not shooting the messenger, but I certainly hope not. In my experience demoted employees never work out. They're human, they're butt-hurt. If they're not doing what they're hired to do, it's time for them to go. About the only scenario that it works is if the guy replacing them is someone that they're familiar with and worked with/for previously.

Not shooting the messenger, but I certainly hope not. In my experience demoted employees never work out. They're human, they're butt-hurt. If they're not doing what they're hired to do, it's time for them to go. About the only scenario that it works is if the guy replacing them is someone that they're familiar with and worked with/for previously.
I’m pretty sure Satterfield is used to it by now…

I just don't want him calling plays again. I've heard something's about him not getting along with the rest of the staff or something like that. I don't think he needs to be there at all. But he dang sure doesn't need to call plays. But at the end of the day, it's just a rumor. But it's from the same guy that told me Barham flipped bc they got his mom a state job

Would love to see Longo come in here. I am tired of the excuses for Satt when the offense with less talent the year before was able to do more and at least create running lanes for the RB's.

Reactions: THMoore100
Would love to see Longo come in here. I am tired of the excuses for Satt when the offense with less talent the year before was able to do more and at least create running lanes for the RB's.
Sorry.. just noticed your name.. NoVa .. Northern VA?? A couple friends of mine were from NoVa when I was going to school in cola

I'll apologize in advance for the snarkiness that follows ...

There's a long list of assistants and coordinators who have been holding off taking jobs at OU, Texas, LSU, Florida, So Cal, Penn State and Notre Dame just because they are waiting for a phone call from SB on December 31st.
Yeah and Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, and Spencer Rattler would never come here. ;)

LOL. How did that work out for you?

Longo had an NFL QB at his disposal, and Satterfield outscored him with a 4th string converted wide receiver.

Epic fail.

Reactions: tngamecock#

Longo had an NFL QB at his disposal, and Satterfield outscored him with a 4th string converted wide receiver.

Epic fail.
Longo coaches defense? The UNC defense gave up 32 ppg last season. Not exactly the old steel curtain there.

Longo also didn’t get shut out in any games this year either though so there’s that…

Epic fail.
Longo scored 21 while USC played keep away and a month to prep for him. How many times did we score 21 in games we lost? It took having 2+ Weeks for any O performance to score more than 30 points. I’d rather UNC season on O than ours. Their bad D this year isn’t his fault. Good try though. I’ll take the guy with consistently top 50 O’s than the 116th O ranked OC.

Old saying, you are as good as your last game. He did an outstanding job in the bowl game.

Old saying, you are as good as your last game. He did an outstanding job in the bowl game.

Satterfield doesn't even get that with these howling monkeys.

Our OC drops 38 on UNC with a 4th string converted wide receiver that has never shown us anything at QB over the years, and UNC's OC stinks it up against a thin defense with players missing, and these idiot are in love with Longo.

LOLongo.

Longo coaches defense? The UNC defense gave up 32 ppg last season. Not exactly the old steel curtain there.

Longo also didn’t get shut out in any games this year either though so there’s that…

Satterfield wouldn't have either if Beamer would have kicked field goals at the end of the game against Clemson instead of turning the ball over on downs going for TDs.

But it was the right call to go for TDs, even if it gives the howling monkeys a stupid talking point all off season. About all you have left.

Longo scored 21 while USC played keep away and a month to prep for him. How many times did we score 21 in games we lost? It took having 2+ Weeks for any O performance to score more than 30 points. I’d rather UNC season on O than ours. Their bad D this year isn’t his fault. Good try though. I’ll take the guy with consistently top 50 O’s than the 116th O ranked OC.

Put UNCs season in the SEC, and they wouldn't look any better than our season. Probably worse.

If they couldn't run the ball on us, they would have gotten destroyed in our SEC schedule. No way they make a bowl.

The tarholes can always use more fans…..I’m just sayin

Against FBS opponents coming into the bowl game, UNC was giving up a little more at 35 points per game. North Carolina's defense was awful. That's why I felt good about that game, that and the fact that we had multiple weeks to prepare for them, like we did Florida and their awful defense. Unfortunately, we do not have multiple weeks to always prepare for an opponent. I hope that next season, Satterfield can get his act together with just one week to prepare for an opponent, including those with good defenses.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Against FBS opponents coming into the bowl game, UNC was giving up a little more at 35 points per game. North Carolina's defense was awful.

Wait, does that mean Satterfields great success was to be about equal to the average offense UNC saw in an a she she schedule?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT