ADVERTISEMENT

Welp, I see good old FFF whiffed on another one.

Gregg-Marshall.jpg
Stop it. Now.

Don`t blame Frank - he took us to the Final Four in case you forgot. Blame the damn AAU coaches who convince these guys to go elsewhere. Hell, if they all stayed in the state and went to Carolina we would have the talent to win the N.C. Thank you Trae Hannibal. All Frank needs is the talent and the AAU coaches are ruining it for us.

I'm still a Frank supporter, but clearly something about our recruiting, particularly in state, needs to change.

This reminds me of the George Felton era in a lot of ways. Felton started off by signing many of the top in-state guys. (Barry Manning, JoJo English, Joe Rhett come to mind...was Michael Glover signed by Felton?) Yeah, he missed on a few big ones at that time (Stanley Roberts, Everick Sullivan), but in-state recruiting coupled with some nice out of state commits built a decent team. By the early 90s, what little talent was in South Carolina went elsewhere and George was gone 2 years later.

The past 4 South Carolina High School classes tell the story. In 2016, 3 top kids left for Power 5 conferences (UNC, K State, UT) and we got Rah Felder, who is no longer enrolled. In 2017 5 top kids left for P5 schools (UNC, Clemson, Cincy-okay, not P5 but still big-, Clemson, Georgia) and we signed Jason Cudd. In 2018, we got no one...Duke, Vandy, UT, NC State, Providence, Xavier and Wake got the top SC kids. So far, the 2019 class is just as bad for us...Juwan Gary to Alabama, and Josiah James, Christian Brown, and Malcolm Wilson have no interest in us.

I hate to say it, but based on today's basketball climate, Frank needs to commit to working with the AAU crowd. Heck, hire Carey Rich as an assistant. He seems to have decent connections and relationships around the state.
Excellent post.

Don`t blame Frank - he took us to the Final Four in case you forgot. Blame the damn AAU coaches who convince these guys to go elsewhere. Hell, if they all stayed in the state and went to Carolina we would have the talent to win the N.C. Thank you Trae Hannibal. All Frank needs is the talent and the AAU coaches are ruining it for us.
We need to assimilate something from the college coaches not being ruined by the AAU coaches.

Reactions: rogue cock
Adapt or perish...

I could be way off and this may have been discussed on here before....but does anyone think being a under armour school hurts us with basketball recruits?

I can't see it as a major factor, but we had a huge brand discussion about Jump Man & the jordan branding, but I don't think the apparel brand matters to deeply to the other blue schools.

You know what, we are the University of South Carolina - have been for a long time. It's not unreasonable to expect to successfully recruit the best prospects from our own state - in ANY sport.

You know what, we are the University of South Carolina - have been for a long time. It's not unreasonable to expect to successfully recruit the best prospects from our own state - in ANY sport.

we have been missing on in state Basket Ball prospects since I can remember . McGuire was pulling guys from NY&NJ. this isn't new, but it still proves irritating. While I want improvement at least Martin has been in the conversations with some of these, we weren't even there for some time.

Thank you BJ McKie (& Junior), Thornwell

Our instate recruiting is absolutely horrible, and has been for a while now.
and long before he got here. With the exception of a few players, we've missed out on the top players as long as I've been a fan of USC basketball and I was born a fan, however I didn't really start following until the 80s, you know, being a baby, toddler, small child and all that.

I'm still a Frank supporter, but clearly something about our recruiting, particularly in state, needs to change.

This reminds me of the George Felton era in a lot of ways. Felton started off by signing many of the top in-state guys. (Barry Manning, JoJo English, Joe Rhett come to mind...was Michael Glover signed by Felton?) Yeah, he missed on a few big ones at that time (Stanley Roberts, Everick Sullivan), but in-state recruiting coupled with some nice out of state commits built a decent team. By the early 90s, what little talent was in South Carolina went elsewhere and George was gone 2 years later.

The past 4 South Carolina High School classes tell the story. In 2016, 3 top kids left for Power 5 conferences (UNC, K State, UT) and we got Rah Felder, who is no longer enrolled. In 2017 5 top kids left for P5 schools (UNC, Clemson, Cincy-okay, not P5 but still big-, Clemson, Georgia) and we signed Jason Cudd. In 2018, we got no one...Duke, Vandy, UT, NC State, Providence, Xavier and Wake got the top SC kids. So far, the 2019 class is just as bad for us...Juwan Gary to Alabama, and Josiah James, Christian Brown, and Malcolm Wilson have no interest in us.

I hate to say it, but based on today's basketball climate, Frank needs to commit to working with the AAU crowd. Heck, hire Carey Rich as an assistant. He seems to have decent connections and relationships around the state.
I'd love to see the NCAA taking a closer look at the AAU guys and seeing just who's getting funding from some of the big schools. It's obvious that they're not getting anything from USC because they push all of their kids away from us and it's been that way for a long time.

Reactions: king ward
we have been missing on in state Basket Ball prospects since I can remember . McGuire was pulling guys from NY&NJ. this isn't new, but it still proves irritating. While I want improvement at least Martin has been in the conversations with some of these, we weren't even there for some time.

Thank you BJ McKie (& Junior), Thornwell
McGuire came here when we were nothing and had to build where his recruiting contacts were, which happened to be where the best basketball was being played. Neither were we as an institution ready to recruit black athletes when he first arrived, although he wanted to. The situation has been different for several decades.

But we want to have our cake and eat it too, always have; I'll let you figure that one out. Compound that with a refusal to get dirty with aau stuff (which I fully support), in-state in particular will continue to be tough regardless of the coach's name or style.

What does Perry Clark do except make several hundred thousand a year and sit on the bench with a disinterested look on his face like someone stole his dinner?

I have often wondered the same exact thing. I guess he is supposed to be the older x and o genius that many staffs like to have. But he must bring something to the table as Bobby Cremins had him on his staff for years down at GT.

I have often wondered the same exact thing. I guess he is supposed to be the older x and o genius that many staffs like to have. But he must bring something to the table as Bobby Cremins had him on his staff for years down at GT.
Once upon a time, Perry Clark was a hot name in coaching. Back in the late 80s, when he briefly revived Tulane, everyone thought he was the next big-time coach. That idea quickly died.

Some basketball players just don’t want to do the work...demanded by Frank Martin.

I buy that, sort of. I do think that Martin stresses hard work and team above individual, and he doesn't appear to coddle anybody. That coaching philosophy might not fit in with the superstar recruit's world view of himself as the center of the basketball universe.

The easy road is the one a lot of folks pick ... not saying it's wrong, and nothing about playing for Martin looks like an easy road.

Besides, if you're looking at college as a minor league apprenticeship before the NBA, you're basically looking at how to best to position yourself for the draft and the big contract. I'm not sure getting benched for not playing Martin's way is going to help in that regard.

That, and Martin seems to me to be unwilling to play the AAU game, which I applaud.

I like Martin, I hope he continues to have success here and stays a while. He's a good representative of this university. And I'd rather we get hard-working, high character kids who want to be Gamecocks than kids who think they're doing us a favor by coming here.

Some basketball players just don’t want to do the work...demanded by Frank Martin.
This...these players just don't want to work their ass off anymore. And why not? When most of these guys can go to Duke, KY, UNC...and be guaranteed to make it to the tourny every year. I like Frank and what he stands for. Just wish some of these elite players would buy in to his system.

This...these players just don't want to work their ass off anymore. And why not? When most of these guys can go to Duke, KY, UNC...and be guaranteed to make it to the tourny every year. I like Frank and what he stands for. Just wish some of these elite players would buy in to his system.
Are you actually stating that they don't have to work their asses off for Coach K, Williams, or Pitino? Seriously? That's just another excuse.

Why is everyone so willing to give our basketball coach a break on poor recruiting and make excuses for him when they in no way would do the same for our football coach? Our basketball history is no worse....and, truthfully, a bit better...than our football program. Yet, we have a no-name "failure" of a football coach bringing in some of the best classes than we have seen since (and prior) to us having a big-name "Hall of Fame" football coach. Martin came here with a much bigger name and more success than Muschamp, but even with a few more years to establish relationships with state coaches and learn the territory, he doesn't have near the success....not even close! We complain about Muschamp losing a recruit but act as apologists for Martin losing one....and Muschamp doesn't miss much.

Are you actually stating that they don't have to work their asses off for Coach K, Williams, or Pitino? Seriously? That's just another excuse.
I'm willing to bet that Martin's practices compared to those three are a lot more intense. Martin has been warned in the past about the screaming and berating of his players. I'm not saying those guys don't work their asses off. But not every player can handle Martin...just ask Silva

People talk about Frank's demeanor but has anyone ever actually watched Coach K? He can be just as intense and foul mouthed as Frank. The biggest difference is Frank at least seems to be a nice guy off the court. Coach K seems to be a D!$& all the way around.

Just another excuse. Coach K is every bit as intense as Martin...if not moreso...and his practices are known to be tough.

The answer to our recruiting issues are much simpler than that.

Just another excuse. Coach K is every bit as intense as Martin...if not moreso...and his practices are known to be tough.

The answer to our recruiting issues are much simpler than that.
Yes...It's called winning and championships. Something USC hasn't done since the late 90's. The Coach K's of the world will always have an advantage...just show the kids the trophy case.

I must have missed something...did Muschamp win a SEC title that I am unaware of? Because where I'm sitting all I see is a 6 win and a 9 win season
In case you missed it, the discussion is on recruiting. BTW, I'm also unaware of any of those trophies Martin may have either....and he's had longer to accomplish them in a conference that doesn't have the elite teams in basketball that they do football.

Reactions: ddw1263
Didn't Eddie Fogler express the same problem about AAU coaches? Basically, I think it had something to do with paying for players if I remember correctly. I stand by Fogler, Odom & Martin but I feel like I'm in the minority.

Reactions: classof95#
In case you missed it, the discussion is on recruiting. BTW, I'm also unaware of any of those trophies Martin may have either....and he's had longer to accomplish them in a conference that doesn't have the elite teams in basketball that they do football.
Hey, he did get us to a final 4. Still waiting for Muschamp to do that

Maybe so, I was only pointing out 99% of your post is harping about something negative with Gamecock sports.

If you expect the worst, you will get the worst. Everything must run it's course and if Martin can't cut it... he will eventually be let go.

I think most people are confused that you are being so completely negative given that he was able to take a team to the Final Four. Something that has never been done. That's like focusing on Spurrier's last year in football and completely ignoring what he did in 2010-2013.
most posts about frank come from greg marshall worshippers and they think if he goes we will get gm....never ever will that happen

Not in the final 4 for Josiah James. When's that Final Fluke going to start paying off like so many of ya'll promised? Not to worry though. I'm sure FFF's killing it recruiting in Eastern Europe mudholes and up in Manitoba. Hey, I've been meaning to ask if some of ya'll want to get together for an NCAA tourney watch party next year. We could even invite FFF since he'll have plenty of free time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, trust the coaches.
Unfortunately that was happening well before Frank Martin came on the scene. Hoped he could turn it around. Actually, I don't care where they come from if they can win for us.

Reactions: classof95#
most posts about frank come from greg marshall worshippers and they think if he goes we will get gm....never ever will that happen
Marshall won't come here primarily because we won't pay that much for a basketball coach. We missed our chance to get him cheaply. Can't blame him.

Not in the final 4 for Josiah James. When's that Final Fluke going to start paying off like so many of ya'll promised? Not to worry though. I'm sure FFF's killing it recruiting in Eastern Europe mudholes and up in Manitoba. Hey, I've been meaning to ask if some of ya'll want to get together for an NCAA tourney watch party next year. We could even invite FFF since he'll have plenty of free time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, trust the coaches.
Yeah, not sure why Frank has completely whiffed in terms of building on that Final Four appearance. It should have been the launching pad for the program but it just hasn't happened. Meanwhile, the rest of the SEC is killing it in recruiting and several programs have had major upgrades in coaching. So, it's going to a MUCH tougher league over the next few years.

I guess the good news for Gamecock fans is that football, baseball, and women's basketball all appear to be in good hands. So, if men's basketball is the only source of frustration, that's not so bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT