ADVERTISEMENT

What has disappointed you the most in the Muschamp era ..

I was was one of the doom and gloom guys that thought this hire was a disaster from the start but I feel like we gave this guy the benefit of a doubt . What area are you most disappointed in :

1. Recruiting
2. Player Development
3. Conditioning
4. Gameday coaching
5. Coaching Hires
6. Offensive Identity
7. Defensive Gameplanning

Etc etc etc .... just interested what everyone’s take is

Clemson’s rise. Followed close by two losses in a row to mediocre ACC teams. Somebody better tell them or they are going to miss that big check I write every year, for my Century Club dues.

Last edited:
Does Tanner still blaming Muschamp’s failure on Spurrier count? Year four and Tanner was still giving interviews about how bad the program was. Not sure if he realized that was even more damning on his job as an AD but it also didn’t match the results since those terrible leftovers were Muschamp’s best teams.

MissChamp is who I thought he was the day he was hired. I am more disappointed that the pathetic powers that be - the BOT and Ray Tanner - have hired the people they have hired. Ray Tanner has no business as the AD and we are back to the basement of the SEC, while the Taters are the tops of the NCAA. Ray Charles could see that if you cannot win at Floriduh, you haven't a snowballs' chance in the bloody pit of hades of winning at SC. Yet somehow, the leadership at SC felt they knew better and that everyone else was a moron. I sometimes wish that my father and grandfather had been fans of some other school. Least I married an LSU girl, so I can pull for them as much as is possible. Sadly, every few years, I get to watch my Gamecocks get slaughtered by them and catch hell from the rest of the family for the rest of the year....Yea. Its so great to be a Gamecock!

21 rushing yards off of 27 attempts against Appalachian State. I really thought South Carolina had the firepower on offense last season to be a decent team, but that was just not the case. Losing Bentley really hurt South Carolina.

That has to be among the most disastrous offensive statistics in our program's history. Less than 1 yard rushing per attempt against App State. And, yeah, yeah, I know App State is pretty good, but any P5 program should be able to muster at least 1 yard rushing per attempt against a Sun Belt team.

The inability to score points. These guys come here as 3 and 4 star prospects. Two-three years later they don't know how to block, tackle, run, catch or throw. I guess my biggest disappointment is that he's still here after his horrendous year 4. Sadly, I believe 6 wins will keep him another year.

The inability to score points. These guys come here as 3 and 4 star prospects. Two-three years later they don't know how to block, tackle, run, catch or throw. I guess my biggest disappointment is that he's still here after his horrendous year 4. Sadly, I believe 6 wins will keep him another year.

If you had told us 4 years ago that in Year 4 we could only get 4 wins and lose to App State AND Champ would be back, nobody would have believed it.

The UGA win probably saved his job. I don't think any buyout could have saved him at 3-9 with a loss to App State thrown in.

21 rushing yards off of 27 attempts against Appalachian State. I really thought South Carolina had the firepower on offense last season to be a decent team, but that was just not the case. Losing Bentley really hurt South Carolina.

What makes 27 attempts for 21 yards even worse was Georgia Southern getting 152 yards on 30 carries the week before, and heck Coastal had 184 yards on 40 attempts in their game,

Rico did not look 100% to me in that game but our staff kept runing him to the tune of 14 carries for 9 yards. This was the week after Fenwick went 102 yards on 18 carries againts Vandy, made no sense to me watching it.

It almost makes you think something was tipping them off to the run plays, I hope our staff is not that stupid, but that would start to explain alot

If you had told us 4 years ago that in Year 4 we could only get 4 wins and lose to App State AND Champ would be back, nobody would have believed it.

The UGA win probably saved his job. I don't think any buyout could have saved him at 3-9 with a loss to App State thrown in.
He is the only HC ever, not in his first year, at USC to retain his job after a 4 win season. He really has accomplished something here.

They should have been able to line up and run the ball on App St. But they lost to UNC at full strength. And Bentley literally threw that game away late in the 4th. Twice. Two colossal coaching failures by BOOM! and staff in year 4. Win those two, win 6 games and get a lame bowl, and everyone says "Well, it was a very tough schedule. Well see next year." Those two games were his season in a nutshell.

Last edited:
That he didn’t learn a DAMN thing from his time as coach at Florida. I’ve never liked the hire from the get go but thought he might have learned his lesson in regards to the offensive side of the ball after the shit show that he was in charge of at Florida. He hasn’t learned a damn thing from it and is the main reason why we are now the 6th best team in the SEC East. Thanks Coach, appreciate it.[/ There is a reason he had no head coaching offers except of course from Ray.

Players on those teams got drafted. Not sure they were inferior

Maybe but a coach with all of his players on the roster should not have less talent at South Carolina than any of those schools....maybe North Carolina could match it but they shouldn’t have more talent just one year removed from a complete dumpster fire.

The fans who never gave the staff a chance and criticised their every move. It will happen with any new coach or staff they hire. They are die hard malcontents that will never be happy. That is why we have such a hard time succeeding.

The fans who never gave the staff a chance and criticised their every move. It will happen with any new coach or staff they hire. They are die hard malcontents that will never be happy. That is why we have such a hard time succeeding.
We don't coach or play. Success or failure happens on the field.

Reactions: 803blf and Heyward1
I think that game more than any other put the lie to the reputation of Eric Wolford.
I think looking back at last season, the rushing attack was actually the strength of the offense (with the exception of the Missouri and Tennessee game). But the last three games of the season the rushing game really floundered.

The fact that he was known for his defense, and that has been a weak link for most of his tenure. The offense has sucked too, but I expected that. I can’t forgive a bad offense and a terrible defense, though.

THIS ^^^^! The lack of a decent defense, much less an ASSUMED very good one , was simply damned intolerable!

Reactions: TheReelEss
I think recruiting has been good considering what he has to sell. I think development has been pretty good. I generally trust Muschamp there.

The gameday coaching has been terrible. That UNC loss was inexcusable. The bend but don't break defense bends and breaks.

And for some reason, the media keeps on telling fans how good players look, but I'm often disappointed.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
I was was one of the doom and gloom guys that thought this hire was a disaster from the start but I feel like we gave this guy the benefit of a doubt . What area are you most disappointed in :

1. Recruiting
2. Player Development
3. Conditioning
4. Gameday coaching
5. Coaching Hires
6. Offensive Identity

What am I most disappointed in? Not listed.

RT’s “dumbness” in his hiring. Showed me he was a clueless AD! He cannot even hire hire a sure-fire BB coach. Forget football.

As some posters note WM failed at UF. Who hires a coach that fails at UF as HC at USC? That’s a major dumb move. Then touting WM’s greatness after the 9 win season (after beating cupcakes and falling SEC programs). Following year WM is rewarded with an even better contract and a buyout that handcuffs the U. Epic dumbness.

This is a travesty. Not fair to the donors and the fans. Thank goodness we have Dawn. I miss Spurrier. RT is the Shakespeare of stupid hires and Muschamp is the Covid of bad outcomes.

Last edited:
That has to be among the most disastrous offensive statistics in our program's history. Less than 1 yard rushing per attempt against App State. And, yeah, yeah, I know App State is pretty good, but any P5 program should be able to muster at least 1 yard rushing per attempt against a Sun Belt team.
Fair criticism.

If I had to give a criticism I think the thing that I see the most is I hear the right talk and the the right words....but when the rubber meets the road we rarely seem to be tougher or smarter than the other guys and how do you not trace that back to the root of the coaching staff.
There are some other obvious things I guess one could point out - I had kind of hoped the recruiting would have been better overall too.

Reactions: SOSUSC
What makes 27 attempts for 21 yards even worse was Georgia Southern getting 152 yards on 30 carries the week before, and heck Coastal had 184 yards on 40 attempts in their game,

Rico did not look 100% to me in that game but our staff kept runing him to the tune of 14 carries for 9 yards. This was the week after Fenwick went 102 yards on 18 carries againts Vandy, made no sense to me watching it.

It almost makes you think something was tipping them off to the run plays, I hope our staff is not that stupid, but that would start to explain alot
Good assessment.

Reactions: Gradstudent
They should have been able to line up and run the ball on App St. But they lost to UNC at full strength. And Bentley literally threw that game away late in the 4th. Twice. Two colossal coaching failures by BOOM! and staff in year 4. Win those two, win 6 games and get a lame bowl, and everyone says "Well, it was a very tough schedule. Well see next year." Those two games were his season in a nutshell.
I think Missouri was a winnable game also.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Behavior of the fans on this board.

The behavior? For stating the obvious? Let's hear an assessment instead of judgment.

Muschamp & Co. have a 10+ million annual tab and their end product has been in steady decline.

Both Florida and South Carolina have shuffled chess pieces around this guy for almost a decade - hopeful that some random combination of quality assistants might help ease his continual inequities as a head coach.

And then the contract/buyout which well exceeds the likes of Dan Mullin, James Franklin, Ryan Day, Mark Dantonio, Ed Orgeron, Jim Harbaugh, Jeremy Pruitt, etc.

For a comparative, UNC signed Mack Brown @ 3.5mil a year and a 3mil buyout.

We took a chance on a coach who was just off failing at a program that will always bring in better recruits. If the contract was more reflective of that fact {versus Tanner's "industry norm" cover}, he would likely be long gone.

1. Recruiting
2. Player Development
3. Conditioning
4. Gameday coaching
5. Coaching Hires
6. Offensive Identity

The armchair coaches who seem to know it all.

1. Recruiting
2. Player Development
3. Conditioning
4. Gameday coaching
5. Coaching Hires
6. Offensive Identity

All of above.... Except for recruiting... I thought recruiting is better than what Sparky and Brad brought in...

Tennessee was a winnable game. And they lost it by 20.
Maybe that's my biggest gripe. The average margin of defeat left no doubt who was getting outcoached.
Tennessee improved as the season went along so I knew that game would be tough to get a win. What I find disappointing about that game is that Tennessee came into game against South Carolina with a quarterback predicament with one quarterback having a concussion issues the other quarterback the coaching staff had lost confidence in. I believe they started the game with a wide receiver (Jennings) at the quarterback position until eventually they settled on Guarantano. Yet, Tennessee had too many explosive plays which was embarrassing for South Carolina defense not able to stop Jennings or Callaway.

Missouri was a bad loss. Missouri ended up losing to Vanderbilt a few games after defeating South Carolina. When you play a ferocious football schedule you cannot afford to let games like North Carolina Missouri and Appalachian State slip through your fingers.

Last edited:
Inability or lack of desire to make in game adjustments.
I agree 100% with this. I truly hope Muschamp can turn it around with Bobo running the offense. I just think there are times during games that you just shake your head and go geez, what are we doing! Having said that, I truly hope our in game coaching takes off!

I was pretty damn happy when we were beating top teams, winning 11 games a year, owning Clemson and finishing in the top 10.

What should I be happy about now?

I thought Muschamp was a bad hire to begin with. So, I'm not surprised in the results. I did think when he was hired, that he would leave the next coach with a lot of talent. I was wrong about that. Consequently, Muschamp's recruiting has been the big disappointment in his time here. Thus, the Muschamp hire is looking to have been a monumental error in judgment.

Reactions: SOSUSC and Heyward1
I think looking back at last season, the rushing attack was actually the strength of the offense (with the exception of the Missouri and Tennessee game). But the last three games of the season the rushing game really floundered.
I've never seen great wonders with Wolford over an extended period of time - in either of his stints here. Not terrible, but not what he is touted to be.

So what do you see as the success of the Muschamp program and why do you feel we are in better shape today than we were when he took over?
That's a response to a different question than what was asked, and an erroneous assumption made on your part. I have no idea what goes on inside the football program, and I doubt many responders do as well.

How long has he been here? 4 years, I'll hold off on any possible negative opinions until the END of next year.

I don't think any of the fans you're talking about played on the App State D Line.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
How long has he been here? 4 years, I'll hold off on any possible negative opinions until the END of next year.

I will say it now. WM is a bad HC. The key is to foresee this and not wait. When he was hired I said we were screwed. I have not seen anything to change my mind. In fact the opposite - the evidence confirms what I said 4 years ago. We have a clueless AD and a very poor HC. No need to wait to the end of the year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT