ADVERTISEMENT

What is the underlying reason South Carolina hasn't

There are a lot of intelligent responses in this thread but I would challenge those that are blaming schedule and conference for the lack of success in recruiting and on the field success. Georgia plays in the same conference and has almost an identical schedule. Look at their on the field success and especially their recruiting.
Why do you think Bobby Bowden said it was easier to win a National championship playing in the ACC?

Why do you think Bobby Bowden said it was easier to win a National championship playing in the ACC?

Which one would you rather be in then? The ACC has an easier schedule top to bottom, but you do not get the extra, what, $20 million every year. Along with the recruits that will only play in the SEC (look at how many Carolina recruits over the years have cited this)

Would you prefer to play in the league? Would Carolina be better as a whole if it never left?

There is a reason the SEC is elite and there is a price to pay in being there

For what it's worth, I think one huge disadvantage that we have in recruiting is that the football stadium isn't in the center of campus. When I arrived at USC in 1979, I was shocked to find the stadium in what at the time was a hugely unsightly industrial area. It has certainly improved, but the ambiance suffers greatly in comparison to Athens, Oxford, Auburn, Florida, etc. It's really unfortunate that this situation can never be altered.

Which one would you rather be in then? The ACC has an easier schedule top to bottom, but you do not get the extra, what, $20 million every year. Along with the recruits that will only play in the SEC (look at how many Carolina recruits over the years have cited this)

Would you prefer to play in the league? Would Carolina be better as a whole if it never left?

Absolutely we would've won more games playing in the ACC. And would've Won a Conference Championship in my lifetime.

Reached the level of success that Clemson has in football? I just dont understand it,we have the fan support, facilities ,money,and conference affiliation to be as successful as any team in the country in my opinion.

A long time ago Clemson supporters controlled the SC Congress. I won’t go into why except to say SC was agrian state. Clemson was and is the agriculture school. In their infinite wisdom they decided against a School of Veterinary Medicine to build a great football team. SC got very little money for their sports and Clemson did very well for theirs. SC was given so little funding there was talk of dropping football.

Today Clemson is the defending National Champs in football, the only School Of Agriculture in the country without a Vet school. So if you want a good team, go to Clemson. If you want a vet school for all the people, go to Auburn, GA, Tennessee, Texas A& M, or even Abraham Baldwin. They are all our neighboring states.

Reactions: funktavious
A long time ago Clemson supporters controlled the SC Congress. I won’t go into why except to say SC was agrian state. Clemson was and is the agriculture school. In their infinite wisdom they decided against a School of Veterinary Medicine to build a great football team. SC got very little money for their sports and Clemson did very well for theirs. SC was given so little funding there was talk of dropping football.

Today Clemson is the defending National Champs in football, the only School Of Agriculture in the country without a Vet school. So if you want a good team, go to Clemson. If you want a vet school for all the people, go to Auburn, GA, Tennessee, Texas A& M, or even Abraham Baldwin. They are all our neighboring states.
I would probably be a graduate of ABAC and be a wildlife biologist if not for alcohol lol

For what it's worth, I think one huge disadvantage that we have in recruiting is that the football stadium isn't in the center of campus. When I arrived at USC in 1979, I was shocked to find the stadium in what at the time was a hugely unsightly industrial area. It has certainly improved, but the ambiance suffers greatly in comparison to Athens, Oxford, Auburn, Florida, etc. It's really unfortunate that this situation can never be altered.

Excellent point. I don’t know if this by itself would be a damning factor, but it sure as hell doesn’t help. Think we overlook how much of a disadvantage this is (not only to recruiting, but the gameday experience as a whole).

I am guessing one of your biggest problems is not being able to detect kidding around in a post hoping to get a smile out of someone

Sorry !!! A lot of people actually do believe what you posted unfortunately. Apologies . Deep down I was hoping you were kidding !! Sorry bro .

Reactions: coolcock2001
Frank Howard did a good job at Taterville when he was there and Danny Furd did an even better job, however, there was a reason. Danny was caught with his hand in the cookie jar and I still have the paperwork from the papers on the pay player scheme hatched by one BC I@%%$#% and other alumni. Are they still doing it today, I don't know for sure but have a suspicion. They don't like losing to us, they rather throw their mother under the bus first. Recruiting is the name of the game and if you can get a little coaching with it, the world is not enough.

Also shooting ourselves in the foot in less important, granted, but other foolish ways. We upset Bama here in 2010. Should have been a sea of garnet and black covering Willy B, Like the sea of orange when Clemson wins. Stupid as hell SEC rule resulted in, instead, people seeing people in yellow tackling our fans trying to celebrate one of the biggest wins in our history.Yellow vests were doing their job but should have been told to let fans do whatever,. Whenever we do that again, call off the authorities and let us celebrate.. Who cares how much the SEC makes off of that idiotic rule. Yeah, I know, people can get hurt. The other leagues do it and doesn`t seem to be much of a problem, does it? Little things(not that it really was) add up.

It is recruiting. And for a variety of reasons.and of course, just like every other message board that has a mediocre football program, many like to accuse that the others are paying folks off, and not that they may be doing things better. And here is the honest truth, if everybody else is handing out the cash, then you better put yourself on an even playing field. But there are a couple of reasons Clemson is more successful in recruiting. And they were becoming more successful during their five year losing streak to USC. One.....their staff. Hardly any turnover. That comes into play. And hate to say it, but Dabo. We can't stand him, but the rest of the football world seems to be enamored with him. He has almost become some type of cult hero. Don't have that at USC. And maybe most importantly is the schedule. They may have one ACC game each year that is competitive. They can roll out the balls and win 9- 10 games. USC doesn't have that luxury. Playing a schedule like USC has next year becomes a cumulative thing. It wears a team down as the year goes along. USC could finish fourth in the east and not look very good. But could get in the ACC championship game if in the division that produced Pitt for their representative. And one needs to put wins together to really generate the buzz that gets the recruiting at that level. Being one of two schools in a small state that doesn't produce enough D1 players for one school makes that even more difficult. And when three of the people in your division are traditional football powers, it doesn't make things easier to turn around. It is just a difficult situation that there are no easy answers to.
Seems like that easy answer except that we just the #%*^! Best out of us by one those Acc teams

Its great to see a thread with so many intelligent responses, there are few dumb ones but that's to be expected in any conversation. I have enjoyed reading them all.

Don’t leave out Clemtech.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

Penn State doesn’t have a veterinary school. Kentucky doesn’t. Arkansas doesn’t. Arizona doesn’t. Connecticutt doesn't. UMASS doesn’t. Maryland doesn’t. Montana doesn’t. Rhode Island doesn’t. North Dakota doesn’t. South Dakota doesn’t. Wyoming doesn’t. West Virginia doesn’t. Utah doesn’t. Vermont doesn’t. New Mexico doesn’t. Rutgers doesn’t. Maine doesn’t. Idaho doesn’t. Hawaii doesn’t. Delaware doesn’t. Alaska doesn’t.

Those are all agriculture schools.

Penn State doesn’t have a veterinary school. Kentucky doesn’t. Arkansas doesn’t. Arizona doesn’t. Connecticutt doesn't. UMASS doesn’t. Maryland doesn’t. Montana doesn’t. Rhode Island doesn’t. North Dakota doesn’t. South Dakota doesn’t. Wyoming doesn’t. West Virginia doesn’t. Utah doesn’t. Vermont doesn’t. New Mexico doesn’t. Rutgers doesn’t. Maine doesn’t. Idaho doesn’t. Hawaii doesn’t. Delaware doesn’t. Alaska doesn’t.

Those are all agriculture schools.
Penn is generally recognized to have the best in the country. https://www.vet.upenn.edu/

U of Hawaii does have a veterinary program....had a friend who went there.

Most of the schools you named are the primary state university...not an agricultural school. Also, many of the States in which those schools are located have veterinary programs at other schools. Clemson is a pure A&M university....established solely for the purpose of being so...unlike the other universities you mention.

Last edited:
Why did Carolina pull out of the ACC? I was a Clemson student and the time but never have heard a consistent explanation as to why it occurred. Seems a more natural fit for them to be in the ACC. Have they ever considered applying to re-enter?

Reactions: kidmike41
Why did Carolina pull out of the ACC? I was a Clemson student and the time but never have heard a consistent explanation as to why it occurred. Seems a more natural fit for them to be in the ACC. Have they ever considered applying to re-enter?
IIRC (and I'm sure someone on here can answer with more depth) it was primarily over the higher admission requirements that the ACC required which kept us from accepting many in-state players and, to a lesser extent, the control Tobacco Road had over the conference.

3 factors IMHO. 1) Up until Holtz got here, the BOT meddled too much in the program. 2) CU has had 5 coaches since 1980. We have had 9. 3) Face it. The campus and stadium setting up there is more college like. We WILL pass them by soon and they will spend a decade trying to catch us. Stadium improvements, facility upgrades, superior education assistance, what I believe to be a CWM long stay and a BOT that has now totally turned over, all play into this flip.

3 factors IMHO. 1) Up until Holtz got here, the BOT meddled too much in the program. 2) CU has had 5 coaches since 1980. We have had 9. 3) Face it. The campus and stadium setting up there is more college like. We WILL pass them by soon and they will spend a decade trying to catch us. Stadium improvements, facility upgrades, superior education assistance, what I believe to be a CWM long stay and a BOT that has now totally turned over, all play into this flip.

I appreciate the optimism, but don’t see it.

They are an elite program and are better than us in every facet right now. Long road ahead. Let’s just beat them once before we think about passing them as a program.

To me a perfect illustration is the Orange Bowl Against WVU . Clemson by all accounts had an outstanding year , if I can remember correctly the only two games they lost that year were to us and FSU . WVU absolutely curbstomped them on primetime . I think Tavon Austin had 6000 yards by himself (exaggeration but it seemed like it) . Days later the DC is gone and a pile of cash in on its way to Venerables . That would never happen here unfortunately. I was very encouraged that Muschamp had the balls to send Roper packing but if the defense is a mess again next year and T-Rob still has a job then I question if we are serious about winning .

To me a perfect illustration is the Orange Bowl Against WVU . Clemson by all accounts had an outstanding year , if I can remember correctly the only two games they lost that year were to us and FSU . WVU absolutely curbstomped them on primetime . I think Tavon Austin had 6000 yards by himself (exaggeration but it seemed like it) . Days later the DC is gone and a pile of cash in on its way to Venerables . That would never happen here unfortunately. I was very encouraged that Muschamp had the balls to send Roper packing but if the defense is a mess again next year and T-Rob still has a job then I question if we are serious about winning .
At the time, Steele had a much better reputation than Venables did. Venables just lost the solo DC position at Oklahoma.

Penn is generally recognized to have the best in the country. https://www.vet.upenn.edu/

U of Hawaii does have a veterinary program....had a friend who went there.

Most of the schools you named are the primary state university...not an agricultural school. Also, many of the States in which those schools are located have veterinary programs at other schools. Clemson is a pure A&M university....established solely for the purpose of being so...unlike the other universities you mention.

1) Penn and Penn State are two different schools. I hope you already knew that.

2) Hawaii has some sort pre-vet degree, not an accredited DVM. It’s like animal science at Clemson.

3) All the schools in my list are land grant universities. Check the history of each. You may be surprised.

You have overlooked the obvious reason that Carolina can’t produce on the football field with consistent results: the Chicken Curse!

FGF: Apologies in advance if this issue has already been discussed, but I believe you're site might have some technical issues.

The rocket scientist above (camotiger) registers an account in 2004 and then waits over 15 years to lay down his first gem? Seems implausible.

Reached the level of success that Clemson has in football? I just dont understand it,we have the fan support, facilities ,money,and conference affiliation to be as successful as any team in the country in my opinion.
This decade, Clemson beat Alabama 2x, we beat them 1x. We are the last team in the SEC East to beat Alabama.

We beat Clemson 5x in a row before Steve Spurrier lost his team, quit, and left the new guy a team incapable of beating the Citadel at home.

We'll be back soon but have to endure the toughest schedule in the nation in 2019 before we make another big mark in college football.

Is that price losing? The winning percentage of SEC schools vs. other SEC schools is .500. We just have to be better than the other teams, but that is the case for everyone.

Bama doesn’t seem to need to pay this price. Their average margin of victory in SEC games was 30 this year.

Dude...Miami Hurricanes don't even own a football stadium and won 5 National titles cheating and paying players. We educate and have never cheated on the levels Clemson, Florida, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, and North Carolina have in football recruiting.

We did do steroids but Clemson just got busted big time for that with 3 players and Dabo said they gave them out by mistake. Whatever the hell that means. We'll have to wait about 43 more days to find out.

Is that price losing? The winning percentage of SEC schools vs. other SEC schools is .500. We just have to be better than the other teams, but that is the case for everyone.

Bama doesn’t seem to need to pay this price. Their average margin of victory in SEC games was 30 this year.

Carolina does not have the same mentality as most of the high end SEC teams. It just doesn’t. The fans are great, to good. They show up and give support when the team is bad. Those teams demand change when the team is not a champion. It does specifically work all the team at places like UGA, Auburn, LSU and Tenn but the demand it

It hurts to say this but I think our fanatical support for a mediocre program is part of the problem . I’m as guilty as anyone . I graduated during the 0-11 season and every game was a sellout . That’s a problem . The Ad and BOT know that no matter the product on the field , we as a fanbase will still support and spend $$ . There’s no pressure to be elite . I’ve been to the Swamp during Mcelwaine last year , I’ve been to Tuscaloosa during the Shula days before Saban . Different story at those programs . If you aren’t winning folks are staying at home . Would never advocate us as a fanbase to do this but when the bottomline is suffering , changes come quick .
Empty seats are the only thing that brings change. Sad but true.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Don't need to go anywhere to see anything. You guys have been good but the likes of FSU, UM, UNC, VT, GT, Louisville and others have had either poor coaching hires past or present, that the way has been paved for y'all. There is no team in the ACC prepared to compete against Clemson for the next few years and that is a fact. And it's been this way the past few years.

Hell, you should be laughing all the way to the playoffs.
Bama and the SEC is not a lot different when it gets right down to it. Yes, the other teams look better but no one is really challenging bama. UGAY acts like they are, but they appear to have some serious mental issues with the whole "bama" thing.....including bowl-cut Not-so Smart.

Carolina does not have the same mentality as most of the high end SEC teams. It just doesn’t. The fans are great, to good. They show up and give support when the team is bad. Those teams demand change when the team is not a champion. It does specifically work all the team at places like UGA, Auburn, LSU and Tenn but the demand it

Nick Saban's Wife: "There's no joy in winning at Alabama, only relief."

UofSC will never be that way. 8-4 here gets you $4,000,000.00 a year.

There are a lot of intelligent responses in this thread but I would challenge those that are blaming schedule and conference for the lack of success in recruiting and on the field success. Georgia plays in the same conference and has almost an identical schedule. Look at their on the field success and especially their recruiting.
Georgia has an advantage with a very fertile home for recruiting. They could take nothing but players from the state of Georgia and have a top-10 class every year. Both South Carolina and Clemson have to be able to recruit outside of state lines to achieve success on the field.

This is another reason Carolina fans should dislike Clemson. Those Clemson supporters in congress did everything in their power to diminish USC. If Ben Tillman would have had his way USC would have been permanently closed.

This decade, Clemson beat Alabama 2x, we beat them 1x. We are the last team in the SEC East to beat Alabama.

We beat Clemson 5x in a row before Steve Spurrier lost his team, quit, and left the new guy a team incapable of beating the Citadel at home.

We'll be back soon but have to endure the toughest schedule in the nation in 2019 before we make another big mark in college football.

Is 2010 the same decade? I’m never sure if the decade is 2000-2009 or 2001-2010. I just know it isn’t 2000-2010 because that’s 11 years.

This is another reason Carolina fans should dislike Clemson. Those Clemson supporters in congress did everything in their power to diminish USC. If Ben Tillman would have had his way USC would have been permanently closed.

That’s a common thread, but the truth is he would have closed it if he wanted to. I think there were only a dozen or so students when he was governor.

Bingo . An 8-4 or 7-5 record here makes you a hero , the same record at the schools you mentioned gets you fired . Ask Les Miles or Mark Richt . Both those guys would have statues outside Williams Brice .

Bingo . An 8-4 or 7-5 record here makes you a hero , the same record at the schools you mentioned gets you fired . Ask Les Miles or Mark Richt . Both those guys would have statues outside Williams Brice .

Everyone loved Joe Morrison

I agree with this statement. But... What caused us to get to that point? What makes 7-5 and 8-4 a good year here but a fireable offense elsewhere? Those expectations had to be set and accepted at some point. What caused us to set and accept those standards?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT