ADVERTISEMENT

When was the first time you saw the Gamecocks play at W-B?

I do this thread every year. I usually wait until the end of baseball season or near the end of baseball season.

Plus, include any details you can think of that will make it interesting.

My first game at W-B was in 1971. The Gamecocks were playing Maryland and USC easily won the game. I rode from Greenville with an old friend who is now decreased. Before I left Greenville in 1973 he and I saw a lot of games together at W-B. I was single and living the high life. LOL!

EDIT: Just wanted to add it was the first year the West Upper Deck was open and the first year of Astro Turf. I just remember sitting in my seat before the game started and looking around and saying to myself, this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen in my life.

So, when was the first game you saw at W-B?
Clemson GAME IN 1950. Got to see my hero Steve Wadiak tote the ball. Next to Rogers, greatest ballcarrier in USC history.

Pretty sure he started that one after leading us to our only score the week before after we got hammered at Alabama 48-7.

Amazing how that team turned it around with one switch at QB.
What’s more amazing is they saw him in practice everyday and didn’t know he was the better QB by far.lol

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
First I remember was in 1982. Richard Bell was the coach. We were trailing a small school late and my dad was so mad that we walked out with a bunch of others. If I recall, I think we might have come back (heard lots of cheering from the ramp). But I don't remember. Richmond?

Reactions: SCexpat38
Damn, mojo. Watching Carolina for first time lose (or win for that matter) friggin' 11-10 would be tough to come back from.

I remember being at that game in college going “this is such Fing bad football”. Pretty sure the World Series was going on. Can’t believe I gave up watching the Braves play a World Series game to watch that....yes I know the Braves lost too.

1987 NC State- my brother was a freshman at USC and I was still a senior in High School. He clobbered them but I remember Todd Ellis taking a massive blindside hit- I thought he might be dead LOL.

First I remember was in 1982. Richard Bell was the coach. We were trailing a small school late and my dad was so mad that we walked out with a bunch of others. If I recall, I think we might have come back (heard lots of cheering from the ramp). But I don't remember. Richmond?
I believe it was Furman.

Almost certain mine was against App State to open the ‘87 season. But I also remember a game against Duke and one against ECU very early on as well.

1981 season opener

According to google Wake Forest.
It’s not burnt into my memory as significantly as others, but I remember turning 5 a few weeks prior and one of my gifts was to get to go the game with my wicked cool aunt & uncle and their friends. I remember getting a hat and tailgating.

I was a sophomore at Wofford in 65 and we borrowed some guy's Nash Rambler and drove down to see Benny Galloway play in a freshman game. Growing up in Easley it wasn't hard to see a Clemson game but getting to Columbia was a different story.

9/16/78. Played #17 Kentucky. My dad's friend took me to the game. A 14-14 tie. Should have taken that as a microcosm of my future as a Gamecock fan. If I recollect, we then beat a ranked Georgia team but lost to Duke and then GA Tech beat us 6-3.

Go Cocks!!!!

I believe it was Furman.
Thanks. I was a young teenager, and just couldn't remember. Solidly hooked in '83. Dad was a season ticket holder from 1983 to the early 2000's. Six great seats right on the 50 yard line. Those were fun times! Even went to a lot of out of town games. Nowadays, I just watch them on my big flat screen and eat shrimp and grits.

Honestly have no idea. My parents were taking me to games before I knew what a football was. I have some vague memories of just watching the scoreboard flash "TOUCHDOWN" after a score...but that's about it.

I was 11 and it was a huge deal for my family and some other friends to get tickets for the 1968 season opener against Duke. It was a night game at the stadium well before it was renamed Williams-Brice, I think. Duke had a really good quarterback named Leo Hart and a star back/receiver - Wes Chesson who went on to earn All-America honors in his career, to my knowledge. Tommy Suggs, in possibly his first varsity game, was the Cocks' sparkplug, along with RB Warren Muir and Fred Ziegler. Even then my eyesight was awful, but I still enjoyed the experience, squinting to see the action. Duke pulled out a 14-7 win, but I've remained a diehard Gamecock fan, no matter the sport, from approximately 1966 to this day.

Around 1976. We played Duke. My Dad had great seats. 45 yard line, about 30 rows up. We were across the aisle from the Duke fans. In those days, we gave the visitors some of the best seats in the house.

First game I remember going to was the 1977 home game against clemson. The game was regional televised by ABC and I think start time was either 3:30 or 4:30. I think South Carolina was losing at halftime 24-0 but took the lead in the forth quarter with the score being 27-24. clemson ended up scoring a touchdown on their last possession of the game with the final score ended at 31-27. South Carolina ended the regular season playing at Hawaii and lost that game.

9/16/78. Played #17 Kentucky. My dad's friend took me to the game. A 14-14 tie. Should have taken that as a microcosm of my future as a Gamecock fan. If I recollect, we then beat a ranked Georgia team but lost to Duke and then GA Tech beat us 6-3.

Go Cocks!!!!

I attended the UK game in '78, remember it well.

I do this thread every year. I usually wait until the end of baseball season or near the end of baseball season.

Plus, include any details you can think of that will make it interesting.

My first game at W-B was in 1971. The Gamecocks were playing Maryland and USC easily won the game. I rode from Greenville with an old friend who is now decreased. Before I left Greenville in 1973 he and I saw a lot of games together at W-B. I was single and living the high life. LOL!

EDIT: Just wanted to add it was the first year the West Upper Deck was open and the first year of Astro Turf. I just remember sitting in my seat before the game started and looking around and saying to myself, this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen in my life.

So, when was the first game you saw at W-B?

When did you lose your virginity at Willy B? Dumb threads continue....

Sir, many of us treasure the memory of watching our first game at W-B. Plus, some of us attended that first game with family and / or friends that have since passed away, which makes it even more memorable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT