ADVERTISEMENT

Who here honestly thinks we'll win Saturday?

I don't expect to win but it wouldn't surprise me.

I still think we have yet to find our identity on offense but it is slowly taking shape with Orth..

If we can find it this week and the D can play the whole game, we have a good shot.. If D plays only one half and the offense looks like it's on Ambien again, ouch..

Well, we've lost to Kentucky and beaten Georgia before. Last year for instance. But I just can't believe in Orth until I see more from him. One TD pass and on awful game costing INT where he threw it right at the guy even though he saw him in one half of play is not bandwagon jumping stuff. A defense that didn't allow a point the second half but couldn't get a stop at the end that the absolutely had to have doesn't fill me confidence. If things go as they should, then they should simply dominate us in the trenches.

The spread is a joke but we are going to need someone other than BW and PC to make the ball plays. Adams will be the key in my opinion and I expect Orth will be looking for him when the bullpups blitz which will be often. Would be nice to see our WR throw some blocks too.

No doubt we can win tomorrow...defense is the key.

me. Sorry, but UGA is never world beater and we always match up well with them (regardless of their so called top 10 recruiting class every year). We will win tonight, perfect set up.

Going back to the old days.... Well play them close but no cigar. Hard to beat Georgia in Athens even with the great talent we had a few years ago!

Yep, only one of those 4 wins recently was in Athens and even Steve admitted you were outplayed that day. But, just seems recently you guys are catching the breaks that you didn't for so long. I expect it to be close. Hopefully the dawgs will make the plays when we have to. For whatever reason, you guys always play as if this game is your season and we just don't bring that same kind of mentality into it.

Guys, I think it's highly unlikely you're gonna beat or stop Chubb. It's a ten game streak now of 100 yard games as a starter. He hasn't failed to get that number against anyone, and that includes one game of sharing touches with Todd. And honestly, your D so far, hasn't been that great against the run. I think you guys played TG about as tough as anyone last year and he still went for over a hundred. I've listented to all your podcast "experts" (sportswriters, etc) and they all say if you can hold him to like 150 yards or less and move the ball against our D like last year, then you definitely have a shot. I completely agree with that.

I guess my point is this, what have you seen from your defense that makes you think you can hold Chubb to like 50 yards or whatever?

Again, I'm not by any means saying you can't win, but if that depends on completely making Chubb a non factor, I'd say you can't win.

I think if you win it'll be similar to last year, except neither team will probably throw the ball as well and the score will be about 10 to 15 points lower for both sides.

Guys, I think it's highly unlikely you're gonna beat or stop Chubb. It's a ten game streak now of 100 yard games as a starter. He hasn't failed to get that number against anyone, and that includes one game of sharing touches with Todd. And honestly, your D so far, hasn't been that great against the run. I think you guys played TG about as tough as anyone last year and he still went for over a hundred. I've listented to all your podcast "experts" (sportswriters, etc) and they all say if you can hold him to like 150 yards or less and move the ball against our D like last year, then you definitely have a shot. I completely agree with that.

I guess my point is this, what have you seen from your defense that makes you think you can hold Chubb to like 50 yards or whatever?

Again, I'm not by any means saying you can't win, but if that depends on completely making Chubb a non factor, I'd say you can't win.

I think if you win it'll be similar to last year, except neither team will probably throw the ball as well and the score will be about 10 to 15 points lower for both sides.

We can win and we can win in Athens ... we're 2-2 in Athens the last 4 trips there and 4 W's out of the last 5 games.
In 2007 UGA finished 11-2 & ranked #2 in the country after winning the Sugar Bowl.
SC finished 6-6, unranked and didn't go to a bowl that year, the only time we haven't since Spurrier's been here
Georgia was LOADED with talent ,,, your QB was a guy named STAFFORD who was picked #! in Round 1 of the NFL draft.
Your RB that year was Keowshon Moreno - 2nd in the SEC rushing that year with 1400 yards - also a 1st Round NFL pick (#12 - Broncos) ... you had NINE players drafted (and four more sign free agency contracts) off that 2007 team
WE BEAT YOU IN ATHENS 16 - 12
Our team was a 25.5 point underdog that day, we had two guys drafted - a WR (Rice) and a DB (Bennett) ... SC STARTED 7 sophs. that day - OUR QB was Blake Mitchell.
Again, your QB was a guy named STAFFORD
We held Moreno to 104 yards - no TD's
We held Stafford to 19/41 for 213 and 1 pick - no TD's
We DIDN'T FUMBLE, we had zero interceptions, we punted great and we had 173 yards passing, BALL CONTROL ... our BEST rusher that day had about 55-60 yards, we had 2 or 3 guys who had about 25 each, the whole team had about 125
We had a little over 300 yards offense and held Georgia UNDER 400, the interception we got REALLY hurt GA, our not turning it over hurt GA, our running the clock hurt GA, our throwing dinky (SAFE) passes all day hurt GA - our team of 'nobody's' that NOBODY gave a chance smacked the dookie out of GA and not only 'beat the spread' won the game STRAIGHT UP.

We've heard this 'we're too good' line before ... that '07 Georgia team was a LOT better than this GA team with 'stars' everywhere ... you talk about Chubb after he's gone to the pros like Moreno and had a couple of 1,000 yard seasons like Moreno and scored 30 TD's in the NFL like Moreno and maybe we'll quake ... we won't STOP Chubb but we WILL slow him down ... he's good, no doubt - Better? Hardly, certainly not yet.

And how does that GA QB stack up against Stafford?

A BETTER Q. is how does SC's team this year stack up against that team we had in 2007? IT IS A LOT BETTER with many more 'quality' athletes who are just as hungry as those SC guys were who smacked you in 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014 in ATHENS, Columbia, ATHENS, Columbia and Columbia.

Reactions: livingstons1
We can win and we can win in Athens ... we're 2-2 in Athens the last 4 trips there and 4 W's out of the last 5 games.
In 2007 UGA finished 11-2 & ranked #2 in the country after winning the Sugar Bowl.
SC finished 6-6, unranked and didn't go to a bowl that year, the only time we haven't since Spurrier's been here
Georgia was LOADED with talent ,,, your QB was a guy named STAFFORD who was picked #! in Round 1 of the NFL draft.
Your RB that year was Keowshon Moreno - 2nd in the SEC rushing that year with 1400 yards - also a 1st Round NFL pick (#12 - Broncos) ... you had NINE players drafted (and four more sign free agency contracts) off that 2007 team
Our team was a 25.5 point underdog that day, we had two guys drafted - a WR (Rice) and a DB (Bennett) ... SC STARTED 7 sophs. that day - OUR QB was Blake Mitchell.
We DIDN'T FUMBLE, we had zero interceptions, we punted great and we had 173 yards passing, BALL CONTROL ... our BEST rusher that day had about 55-60 yards, we had 2 or 3 guys who had about 25 each, the whole team had about 125
We had a little over 300 yards offense and held Georgia UNDER 400, the interception we got REALLY hurt GA, our not turning it over hurt GA, our running the clock hurt GA, our throwing dinky (SAFE) passes all day hurt GA - our team of 'nobody's' that NOBODY gave a chance smacked the dookie out of GA and not only 'beat the spread' won the game STRAIGHT UP.

We've heard this 'we're too good' line before ... that '07 Georgia team was a LOT better than this GA team with 'stars' everywhere ... you talk about Chubb after he's gone to the pros like Moreno and had a couple of 1,000 yard seasons like Moreno and scored 30 TD's in the NFL like Moreno and maybe we'll quake ... we won't STOP Chubb but we WILL slow him down ... he's good, no doubt - Better? Hardly, certainly not yet.

A BETTER Q. is how does SC's team this year stack up against that team we had in 2007? IT IS A LOT BETTER with many more 'quality' athletes who are just as hungry as those SC guys were who smacked you in 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014 in ATHENS, Columbia, ATHENS, Columbia and Columbia.

That's just crazy talk to some people....

We're actually better positioned to win this year than last and look what happened last year.

Everyone is putting so much weight on this being Perry Orth's first start.
Big Deal... it's not like he's never played SEC football in front of a crowd.
Besides, he's got the same work ethic and outlook that Connor Shaw has and the team responds to him with positivity.

They win this one by 10

If you'll read my post, I didn't say you couldn't win or 'we're too good". I said I don't think you'll stop Chubb. Nor do I think there is a any rationale based on what we've seen from Chubb and USC to this point that would back that up. What happened in 2007 with that USC defense and that UGA offense will have nothing to do with today's game.

I noted at least twice in the post that you could win the game. I just don't buy that you can stop Nick. Example: you certainly didn't stop Todd last year but still won the game.

Also, this is the largest point spread of any game Richt has coached against USC. So, you definitely weren't a 25 point underdog in 2007. Not even close. I don't know what the spread was. Maybe double digits, but nowhere near 25. I'm pretty sure the only times since SOS has been there that a spread has been like that is when you've faced Tebow's UF or maybe Saban at Bama.

Last edited:
If you'll read my post, I didn't say you couldn't win or 'we're too good". I said I don't think you'll stop Chubb. Nor do I think there is a any rationale based on what we've seen from Chubb and USC to this point that would back that up. What happened in 2007 with that USC defense and that UGA offense will have nothing to do with today's game.

I noted at least twice in the post that you could win the game. I just don't buy that you can stop Nick. Example: you certainly didn't stop Todd last year but still won the game.

Also, this is the largest point spread of any game Richt has coached against USC. So, you definitely weren't a 25 point underdog in 2007. Not even close. I don't know what the spread was. Maybe double digits, but nowhere near 25. I'm pretty sure the only times since SOS has been there that a spread has been like that is when you've faced Tebow's UF or maybe Saban at Bama.

You do know that point spreads are simply designed to get people to bet one way or the other, right?

For instance, the line setters could actually think that UGA would win by 40 but they're not going to offer that because history amongst other things would show that South Carolina would easily cover that.
So no one would take UGA.
They reduce the spread to something that becomes better for them mathematically so they make money either way. That's why the spread changes throughout the week, so they can get people to change their minds or sway them to bet.

In my opinion they could make this a PK bet.

No, we won't stop Chubb, he might get 100 yards, unless you run the same UGA offensive package that Richt has run for the past 10 years.... in which case, he may only get 60.

You do know that point spreads are simply designed to get people to bet one way or the other, right?

For instance, the line setters could actually think that UGA would win by 40 but they're not going to offer that because history amongst other things would show that South Carolina would easily cover that.
So no one would take UGA.
They reduce the spread to something that becomes better for them mathematically so they make money either way. That's why the spread changes throughout the week, so they can get people to change their minds or sway them to bet.

In my opinion they could make this a PK bet.

No, we won't stop Chubb, he might get 100 yards, unless you run the same UGA offensive package that Richt has run for the past 10 years.... in which case, he may only get 60.

I didn't say anything about what point spreads are or are not used for. I said that the 2007 point spread was nowhere near 25 for our game. I was simply telling your guy on here he got that wrong. Just like he somehow thought I was saying we couldn't be beat. That's all I said.

I didn't say anything about what point spreads are or are not used for. I said that the 2007 point spread was nowhere near 25 for our game. I was simply telling your guy on here he got that wrong. Just like he somehow thought I was saying we couldn't be beat. That's all I said.
Don't worry about SS1.

Tebow had spreads like that against us (and covered) Saban was double-digits, too but he got whacked.

In '07 we opened against LA-lafette and won but didn't come close to covering, winning 28-14 at home while looking bad
GA opened against Ok State and you blew 'em out by 3 TD's while holding OC Larry Fedora's world-beater OK State offense under 300 yards total (Fedora went to So,Miss the following year as HC)

We weren't ranked and couldn't get a sniff ... GA was #13 pre-season and went to #11 after beating Ok State and vegas loved GA You were 25.5 over us that day

From 2005 all the way until into the '09 season we were FREQUENTLY double-digit underdogs
Spurrier's 1st year we scared you in Athens (you were ranked #9 that year when we played, we were also 'unranked' that year) - but then in '06 you shut us out in Columbia beating us 18-0 and we supposedly didn't have squat coming back.

We've 'endured' spreads like that against Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida and 'others' ... you might not recall but I do.

I think today's spread is a joke. WE CAN WIN.

Tebow had spreads like that against us (and covered) Saban was double-digits, too but he got whacked.

In '07 we opened against LA-lafette and won but didn't come close to covering, winning 28-14 at home while looking bad
GA opened against Ok State and you blew 'em out by 3 TD's while holding OC Larry Fedora's world-beater OK State offense under 300 yards total (Fedora went to So,Miss the following year as HC)

We weren't ranked and couldn't get a sniff ... GA was #13 pre-season and went to #11 after beating Ok State and vegas loved GA You were 25.5 over us that day

From 2005 all the way until into the '09 season we were FREQUENTLY double-digit underdogs
Spurrier's 1st year we scared you in Athens (you were ranked #9 that year when we played, we were also 'unranked' that year) - but then in '06 you shut us out in Columbia beating us 18-0 and we supposedly didn't have squat coming back.

We've 'endured' spreads like that against Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida and 'others' ... you might not recall but I do.

I think today's spread is a joke. WE CAN WIN.

I said, I think you can win. I don't know how I got into this discussion about point spreads being relevant to outcomes. I certainly never said anything about it.

I don't think either offense is as good as they were last year. I think both defenses might be a little better.

About all I said is I think Chubb will get his 100, the game will probably be in the upper 40's to lower 50's in total points and going by history, probably close.

As far as saying for sure we'll win. Never said that. Not even close.

Nobody said we can't win, but many believe we won't. There's a difference.

I think as fans, when it comes to close games, we all believe we'll win. Generally speaking, I don't like those dawg fans that are always negative.

I would expect you guys to think you have a chance, if not a good one. Recent history says you do. In fact, total history would suggest the game will be a fight to the end.

Anyway, look forward to watching it. First real game of the year and should tell me a little more about what we have. Hopefully no one gets hurt.

Reactions: jdgrn01
just curious.
Are we capable with this team...YES. Will we win...maybe. This is going to be a four quarter game if Perry/Nunez stays calm in the pocket and the team sticks to the gameplan. We have beaten them before and can do it again. No rose colored glasses here, just X's and O's. Stick to the gameplan. Must contain Chubb and Sony under 100 yards IF possible.

Unfortunately not a chance. I believe we are in for a long day today. Georgia is looking for revenge for being beaten by an inferior Gamecock team last year. Based on the last 2 games, I see no reason to believe we can contain the stable of running backs and the experienced OL of Georgia. I don't think we cover the spread.
Hope I'm wrong but I look for the worst Georgia loss in years today.

Game starts in less than an hour...So I will repeat...If you compare talent (Top to bottom) who would you take in this one?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT