ADVERTISEMENT

Who wants to live in big cities?

Goose cock

May 12, 2019
I’m actually moving from Spartanburg to the metropolis of Pacolet. I have to believe people will be moving away from larger cities in waves now.

With this new wave of working from home...employers are going to see it's more cost efficient to let folks work from home.

I think you might see more people moving back to the country for the peace and quite. City life is not all that it's cracked up to be...I prefer bedroom communities near larger cities.

With Amazon, I order things and have them sent overnite...The only stores I shop in anymore is WalMart and Dollar Tree...

I hate traffic more and more, the older I get...

I stayed in Tokyo for three years and never had a problem. Love that place. You could be out in the city at 3 AM and not have to worry about trouble.
If I could move to anywhere I wanted, it would be Bavarian or Austrian Alps.

I stayed in Tokyo for three years and never had a problem. Love that place. You could be out in the city at 3 AM and not have to worry about trouble.
If I could move to anywhere I wanted, it would be Bavarian or Austrian Alps.
Tokyo (38 million population) is not a Melting Pot.

Everyone comes from the same bolt of cloth.

Far fewer grievances than in a metropolis like Sparkle City (38, 000 population).

Good luck.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I think a lot is age. At this point in my life, no I would not want to be in a big city. In my twenties and thirties (up until I had kids), yeah I could have handled it. Something to do all the time, greater variety of restaurants and dessert places, etc.

I think a lot is age. At this point in my life, no I would not want to be in a big city. In my twenties and thirties (up until I had kids), yeah I could have handled it. Something to do all the time, greater variety of restaurants and dessert places, etc.

Definitely true, however, watching these cities implode, I have no desire to live in some volatile place.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
"The Home of The Fighting Gamecocks" is the only place I'd live. Harbison has the feel of a city but it's a huge forest with 20+ miles of paved walking trails. Deer, raccoon, coyote and multiple lakes a few hundred yards from the largest shopping district in SC. Where else can you find that?

I like being not too far from a city with activities I like. When I was young and naive and lived in NJ, I could drive to NYC, park on the street, and go see a Broadway play. Later I lived in VA and DC was 10 miles away. Now I live on a lake not too far from Greenville but the theater I support is in Pelzer (very small!).

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
Most people live in the suburbs near big cities and not so much within the city limits itself.
I live about 25 miles east of Atlanta, which I believe I get the best of both worlds. Close enough to a big city for great restaurants, concerts, activities etc. Far enough away to enjoy less traffic, congestion, and having my own space/yard.
It just comes down to the personal lifestyle that one is looking for.

People who enjoy nice shopping options, new/inventive/good/exotic restaurants, vibrant music scenes, museums, culture, wine shops, etc will continue to live in cities.

My suggestion if you live in a large metro is to buy in the best area of town with the most amenities and walkablity. You reap the benefits of living in a large city and the closer in you live, the less traffic. Living on the fringes of a large city would suck due to traffic.The next step is to buy a country house/lake house/mountain house to get out whenever you need a break. We have a lake house and use it every other weekend. It helps to relax me after a couple weeks of being in the city, but I'd never want to live at the lake full time.

It's all about balance.

Of course doing the above takes a fair amount of coin - so make good life choices and be successful.

Last edited:
I have to live close enough to enjoy big city things I like.

My wife and I love plays and professional shows and big cities have tons of those. We also like being close enough to enjoy quite a few stays in a few select older upscale hotels throughout the year for special nights out which are located in bigger cities like Charlotte. I also like wide open spaces.

i own my house which is in a small town in the midlands area and I own another home in the country with a dozen or so acres that I greatly enjoy exploring.

I've lived in big cities since I left Columbia - it's been wonderful. You take the bad with the good in any place - but the bad has always been minuscule compared to the benefits of city life (and I've been fortunate to live in some great ones).

That said, I do agree with the poster about age being a factor. When the kids are out of the house my dream is to move to out to the country and have a little hobby farm. I've gotten to the "been there, done that" phase of living in cities.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
Left Charlotte in 2014, have not missed it a moment. Lexington for now,
Gilbert, Leesville or Mt Pleasant likely up next.
Key West remains on the Radar
Long shot late entry Santa Rosa Beach FL

RollLaugh

I guess I should stop reading GC if I don't appreciate binary dogma.
  • Mega cities (London, Paris, NYC) have great attributes and drawbacks
  • Big cities (Dallas, Atlanta) have great attributes and drawbacks.
  • Medium cities have great attributes and drawbacks (Austin, Charlotte)
  • Small cities have great attributes and drawbacks (Columbia, Winston-Salem)
  • Large towns have great attributes and drawbacks (Spartanburg, Asheville)
  • Small towns have great attributes and drawbacks (Hartsville, Clinton)
  • Rural life has great attributes and drawbacks
I simultaneously enjoy and dislike multiple elements of all of these types of places.

Me personally, I need somewhere with extensive quality options for live music in small rock clubs and juke joints. So Austin, where I've lived since 2006, is about as good as it gets. Lots of other great things about Austin too. Lots of not so great things about Austin too.

But I've never understood the demonization of big cities or small towns or this or that - everything has good and bad and most of this world is good.

U mean like cola?

RollLaugh

I simultaneously enjoy and dislike multiple elements of all of these types of places.

Me personally, I need somewhere with extensive quality options for live music in small rock clubs and juke joints. So Austin, where I've lived since 2006, is about as good as it gets. Lots of other great things about Austin too. Lots of not so great things about Austin too.

But I've never understood the demonization of big cities or small towns or this or that - everything has good and bad and most of this world is good.

yep. It’s a stupid argument.

and it depends on many factors. My wife of 22 years loves city life more than country life. She appreciates visits to rural areas a lot but doesn’t want to live there.

I prefer rural life a bit more but I also love big cities.

it’s never a “one or the other” for us.

Reactions: SlashElectric
People who enjoy nice shopping options, new/inventive/good/exotic restaurants, vibrant music scenes, museums, culture, wine shops, etc will continue to live in cities.
Of course, everyone has different definitions of "nice," "good," "vibrant," etc. and that's what leads a lot of folks to live in or near small towns in rural areas. One of the best gun stores I've ever been in is located in Ennis, MT. One of my favorite camping and outdoors stores was Sunrift Adventures in Traveler's Rest (is it still there?). In contrast, I spent a couple of hours in Harrod's last summer and couldn't find a single thing I wanted to buy (among the few things there I could afford) other than a tin of shortbread cookies. To each his own - people tend to gravitate to what they like, but as somebody stated above, one isn't necessarily "better" or "nicer" than the other. They are simply different.

I have a lot of friends live in large metropolitan areas and when we talk about what we like or dislike about where we live, they always say something similar to the quoted language above. They love being close to shopping, restaurants, the arts, etc. But the reality is, they do the vast majority of their shopping at Target or Walmart, the movie theater is their most frequented entertainment venue, and they can count on hand (usually a couple of fingers) the number of times they have stepped into a museum or performing arts center in the last year. In many cases, even if they wanted to visit those places more often, they simply can't afford to do so.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Dallas is too damn hot. I live in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte and love it. Looking to go 10 miles south into Lancaster County but it's all being bought up

Like most things, there is good and bad. I love walkable and bikable places. That's how our ancestors built cities - incrementally. We are trying the suburban ponzi scheme which is not sustainable. I hate driving.

With that said, if you have kids, sometimes you have to move where the good schools are.

RollLaugh

Keep Austin Weird, and yes I love it there, just not quite on my live in list. But 5 separate visits it’s damn cool

Reactions: SlashElectric
I considered Columbia a big city when I moved here... Thank God it is not!

I think he has been the Sheriff since 1992 or 1993???

I don't like him as a person, but I do respect him and he will not put up with bad cops and will not put up with rioters too...

Well he was out there like a big dummy saying the rioters weren’t from the area. He’s no different than anyone else. He’s up for re-election he’s not about to come out as a law and order guy.

Well he was out there like a big dummy saying the rioters weren’t from the area. He’s no different than anyone else. He’s up for re-election he’s not about to come out as a law and order guy.
But,Lott is correct.
I lot of these “protesters” are brought in and paid.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT