ADVERTISEMENT

Who was at the Mayo Bowl game yesterday? Give us a first hand account of the events

I think we beat they in every aspect possible. We outplayed them, coached better than them, had more fans, we were twice as loud, our band was better, our hype videos were better. It wasn’t even close either. It was all around arse whoopin in every sense, and a great day to be a Gamecock in Charlotte.
The post game trophy ceremony before the Mayo bath….man that was some powerful stuff. Every Gamecock stayed for that and we all had chills. Chants of “Beamer, Beamer” throughout the stadium. Couldn’t have sent the seniors out on a better note

Awesome trip! Strange to be at a bowl game and not have a fan zone with activities. We sort of tailgated in the Marriott lobby. Partly because of the early start. UNC fans nice but in shock. They expected an easy victory though they did not come out and say that. At least the ones I spoke to. They expected a good game but pulling ahead in the second half as they wore us down. They were very confident before kickoff. That ended quickly. Stadium is nice with PLENTY of vendors of all types. I spent more money because the lines were short and vendors close. I could see the TV timeout dude go on the field, get supplies and be back in my seat before he was off the field. Beer (24 ounce) was a little over 13 bucks with tax. You could not go any distance without there being another vendor area. Willy B could learn from that. Lines were short and fast. Bottomless popcorn was nice for 9 bucks. We wore that out as a group. Post game was cool and you could see the emotions on our players. Great time. Majority of Carolina fans stayed well after the game until the mayo dunking was complete.

Awesome trip! Strange to be at a bowl game and not have a fan zone with activities. We sort of tailgated in the Marriott lobby. Partly because of the early start. UNC fans nice but in shock. They expected an easy victory though they did not come out and say that. At least the ones I spoke to. They expected a good game but pulling ahead in the second half as they wore us down. They were very confident before kickoff. That ended quickly. Stadium is nice with PLENTY of vendors of all types. I spent more money because the lines were short and vendors close. I could see the TV timeout dude go on the field, get supplies and be back in my seat before he was off the field. Beer (24 ounce) was a little over 13 bucks with tax. You could not go any distance without there being another vendor area. Willy B could learn from that. Lines were short and fast. Bottomless popcorn was nice for 9 bucks. We wore that out as a group. Post game was cool and you could see the emotions on our players. Great time. Majority of Carolina fans stayed well after the game until the mayo dunking was complete.
Similar experience. The few UNC fans I spoke with were not surprised at the performance of their defense (or lack thereof), but were very surprised that our defense was able to shut down Howell and the UNC offense. They didn't expect that. It was a great time, the USC fans were loud....had a lot of fun.

We jumped on them early and put them in a hole they were trying and failing to climb out of the rest of the game. I was there and have an opinion about UNC. We outcoached them. They did not ever adjust to our bringing Joyner in and out of the game, and his running and passing. Then Kevin Harris got warmed up and hammered them. UNC was complacent and down. NC State had recently beat them. They had recently beaten us not too long ago. Comparing statistics of the two teams it seemed like a win for them. But when you take into account the caliber of teams that beat us and that we faced verses those that they faced, there is no comparison. The best teams that they had played were NC State, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Wake Forest. I am not taking anything away from those teams, but they are not Georgia, Texas A&M, Clemson, not to mention Kentucky, Florida, and Auburn. Taking that into account UNC should not have expected an easy opponent. Our coaches had put together an impressive offensive and defensive game plan that they could not answer. It was a great win for us! Congratulations to Coach Beamer his staff and our players.

We jumped on them early and put them in a hole they were trying and failing to climb out of the rest of the game. I was there and have an opinion about UNC. We outcoached them. They did not ever adjust to our bringing Joyner in and out of the game, and his running and passing. Then Kevin Harris got warmed up and hammered them. UNC was complacent and down. NC State had recently beat them. They had recently beaten us not too long ago. Comparing statistics of the two teams it seemed like a win for them. But when you take into account the caliber of teams that beat us and that we faced verses those that they faced, there is no comparison. The best teams that they had played were NC State, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Wake Forest. I am not taking anything away from those teams, but they are not Georgia, Texas A&M, Clemson, not to mention Kentucky, Florida, and Auburn. Taking that into account UNC should not have expected an easy opponent. Our coaches had put together an impressive offensive and defensive game plan that they could not answer. It was a great win for us! Congratulations to Coach Beamer his staff and our players.
Thanks. Enjoyed reading this, very well done. Hits on everything.

It was awesome, we had a very loud fan before the game. Talking a lot of junk. HE was as silent as an old lady in an library after the bomb at the beginning of the game. All the fans who had refused to go to the game. Man you missed it. The Florida and the Mayo bowl games were awesome games to be at this year. Both we had lots of fans saying they weren’t going to attend and waste their money. You couldn‘t capture on tv what happened at the game. Hearing the chants of fans chanting ”Game” “Cock” coming down from the upper decks on ramps was amazing to see. To be a gamecock fan and to see the Misery of unc fans in the mist of them fans coming down was awesome after what they did to us a few years ago.

Last edited:
I also wanted to hear how upset the tar hole fans were at the game. That's the part I really wanted to hear.
They do not care. Go to a game in Chapel Hill. They will leave the hotel to tailgate 45 minutes before kickoff. They will call the football game pregame festivities for the preseason basketball scrimmage against the EA Sports All-Stars later that night. Those are things I have witnessed firsthand.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I will never forget walking out of that stadium in 2019 after they had just beat us. Their fans were talking major sh%$. By the end of the game there were none of them left to talk to this time. I sat behind the Gamecocks bench both games and the energy level of the players on the side lines was much greater this time. You could tell even before the game that they were there to win.

Any good pregame activities?
Not really, at least on the day of the game. All of the other bowl games I have attended (except the awful papa johns bowl) had good festivities and a great fan zone with food and beverage vendors everywhere. Part of that is due to the early start and the pandemic.

Reactions: vacock#
I will never forget walking out of that stadium in 2019 after they had just beat us. Their fans were talking major sh%$. By the end of the game there were none of them left to talk to this time. I sat behind the Gamecocks bench both games and the energy level of the players on the side lines was much greater this time. You could tell even before the game that they were there to win.
I felt in the Clemson game we came out flat. Still don’t understand why there are games that we don’t get up for. It was a home game. Clemson was not as powerful as usual. But we seemed to not be into the game from the start. Unfortunately, this is nothing new for our team. Thank goodness this bowl game…we were all in!

Last edited:
It was awesome, we had a very loud fan before the game. Talking a lot of junk. HE was as silent as an old lady in an library after the bomb at the beginning of the game. All the fans who had refused to go to the game. Man you missed it. The Florida and the Mayo bowl games were awesome games to be at this year. Both we had lots of fans saying they weren’t going to attend and waste their money. You couldn‘t capture on tv what happened at the game. Hearing the chants of fans chanting ”Game” “Cock” coming down from the upper decks on ramps was amazing to see. To be a gamecock fan and to see the Misery of unc fans in the mist of them fans coming down was awesome after what they did to us a few years ago.
Yes I had sissies that hadn’t said a word all game chanting acc at me and my middle son up there in Charlotte the day Muskrat happened and we lost playing not to lose. So happy that poser is outta here!!! Sickness kept my home this game. Had every intention of going, free lodging, etc.

I felt in the Clemson game we came out flat. Still don’t understand why there are games that we don’t get up for. Unfortunately, this is nothing new for our team. Thank goodness this bowl game…we were all in!
Yeah. I was disappointed in the way we competed against Clemsux also

Reactions: nikolas22
I'm in section 346 and a couple of rows behind me I see Alex English. I nod and give him a thumbs up and he smiles back at me. I'm sitting beside a tall, young guy, his 2 sons and his dad. As the game goes on and we're kicking ass we're high 5ing each other. We start talking during half time and I tell him Alex English is sitting behind us, he says "I know. My Dad played basketball with him at Carolina". Turns out I'm sitting beside Grayson Greiner. His dad is Mark Greiner (for those who may not know). Grayson says he's a free agent now with several offers from other teams but the lock out prevents his agent and the teams from communicating.

Hard to generate that kind of excitement vs an SEC opponent.

I'm in section 346 and a couple of rows behind me I see Alex English. I nod and give him a thumbs up and he smiles back at me. I'm sitting beside a tall, young guy, his 2 sons and his dad. As the game goes on and we're kicking ass we're high 5ing each other. We start talking during half time and I tell him Alex English is sitting behind us, he says "I know. My Dad played basketball with him at Carolina". Turns out I'm sitting beside Grayson Greiner. His dad is Mark Greiner (for those who may not know). Grayson says he's a free agent now with several offers from other teams but the lock out prevents his agent and the teams from communicating.
Mark Greiner lived in Charlotte when he was a student at USC.

My understanding is that Mark's father-in-law (Grayson's maternal grandfather) played football for USC back in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT