ADVERTISEMENT

Who was planning on retirement...

I retired last year (I'm 52) and was able to fish, hike, travel, go to the gym, volunteer and sleep late. That worked for about two months before I started feeling detached from humanity. My good friend offered me a job doing pretty much what I did for 24 years (real estate attorney) on my terms. I can go in when I please (normally on days when it is raining, too hot outside, when I'm bored or when I'm needed). I am paid well and like what I do. The best part, like Scuba above, is that I can quit whenever I want to.
Now the last two months have cost me a ton of money in paper losses, and I did sell some stock two weeks ago when I got scared (Haney, that was me). I do believe that ultimately the market will be back, but it will take a couple of years because the ramifications of this virus will be long term. If the country 'opens' on Jun 1st, employment will lag and people won't go out right away and start spending money as they did up to late January. They will be wary until they start believing that everything is back to normal. And I can't wait for everything to be back to normal.
Loss some too like everyone else but hung tight and didn’t sell. A fortunate thing happened to me (at least currently fortunate). My company, just by chance, deposited my 401k portion of my annual,performance, their match, and my annual retirements shared savings into my 401K on the lowest DOW day in March. Now, that is pure luck. Good dollar cost averaging. I don’t usually get that lucky.

Same t
Loss some too like everyone else but hung tight and didn’t sell. A fortunate thing happened to me (at least currently fortunate). My company, just by chance, deposited my 401k portion of my annual,performance, their match, and my annual retirements shared savings into my 401K on the lowest DOW day in March. Now, that is pure luck. Good dollar cost averaging. I don’t usually get that lucky.
Same thing with the gf and her 401K match. She has no clue about investing and gets a gift. I know a lot about the market and have the strange ability to buy high and sell low.

I spent about 10-15 years making poor choices and behaving very badly. Have never had company provided health insurance, a company car, a pension, a 401K or a matching anything. Most likely, I will be working until the day I keel over, which may be sooner rather than later, due to those years of bad choices! It is what it is.....

I spent about 10-15 years making poor choices and behaving very badly. Have never had company provided health insurance, a company car, a pension, a 401K or a matching anything. Most likely, I will be working until the day I keel over, which may be sooner rather than later, due to those years of bad choices! It is what it is.....

Those are not bad choices, but life choices you learn from and try to make better choices..

We all do that everyday... Best of luck to you and hope you find happiness in what you do at work...

While each person is the sum of their experience. Not everyone learns from those experiences. It would appear that you have. To have the opportunity to retire comfortably doesn't require all of the benefits you listed. Only some of them.

Three bits of advice I would give;

1) Do whatever you need to do start a more successful career path and get a better job. Be that education, internship, etc. Don't forget to "network" the people you already know and more importantly the people who know you.

2) Pay yourself first! A 401K is available to anyone. Begin that investment for yourself before you pay anything else. With investing, money invested over time is your ally. Put away any amount, even small sums, regularly and allow them to work for you.

3) Pay down whatever debt that you can and stop purchasing anything on credit. Interest compounding against you is literally throwing money down a hole.

Retired from USC in 2015. We love retirement, saved some $s. House is paid for & we eat too well. Stay healthy & safe fellow Gamecocks.

I plan on retiring at 56 (7 years away). This should be a distant memory by then. But your investments don't freeze the day you retire. If you wait until the situation is perfect, you could die before you get to retirement. Who wants to die working?

A few more weeks and your investments will likely be plus territory from the time we had the free fall in March......assuming you didn’t pull it out during the free fall.

just made a few minor adjustments
I will be back in the Marijuana development stock in a few weeks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT