ADVERTISEMENT

Why do some REALLY want muschamp gone this year?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
Seriously, what is the real reason? He came in to a dumpster fire and has gotten on fairly solid ground. He has recruited better than any coach prior in a much more difficult time to recruit here considering we are competing with very very good recruiters in Clemson and Georgia. This team has not lived up to expectations, I will agree 100% on that, however there is growth on the offense as the season has gone and they are improving and understanding Mclendons style more and more. The defense has struggled but with injuries all season. The good news is all these guys coming back will be much more experienced than had we not had these injuries. We have more good players coming in and while next year may be 7-5 based on schedule I truly think by 2020 we will have a team that on defense resembles what Muschamp had at Florida. Offense, while breaking in new QB, will be good.
However, if we get rid of Muschamp now, then we go back to square one and in three years if it is the same thing there will be screams to get rid of that guy and then the next and the next and we will stay as a midlevel program.
VT is having a worse year than us but there is not one word on their board about getting rid of Fuente and he has been there same length as Muschamp has here.
Change for sake of change is not the way to go. If after 5-6 years we are still around .500 or just above, then maybe start looking but after three years, get real and find better things to do than want another coach gone.

To get a better coach. Which may or may not be the case. I agree Muschamp needs a little more time.

The factors of our rival being a national contender mixed with the success we had 10-13 gave hope that we could contend at the highest level and fans want the team to get there quicker rather than later.

Reactions: Coyote89
I don't want him gone but damn his hardheadidness and nosiness when it comes to offense. Why he can't leave it alone is beyond me, he's his own worst enemy.

Reactions: lakeworld
Yes, WM has seemingly been a relentless recruiter, with fairly positive results. I think for many of us it's just a growing concern that he's not a good game-day coach. We're moving toward the end of his third season and he just hasn't notched any really good wins. I'm not ready to change just yet, but my concern is growing with the mounting losses against quality opponents. He's had three goes at UGA, Texas A&M, and UK, and can't get a win. Ahead by 17 points last week, and I was worried he might let up on the gas and allow the Gators to come back. Recruits well. Talks X's and O's well. Acts passionate. But then game-day comes and things go south. I hope he can improve. I wish he would bring in a proven OC. We shall see.

Reactions: Brace1
Our 3 11-win seasons in hindsight are proving to be poison. Our fan-base (at least a lot of them on this and other boards) weren't/aren't capable of handing that success. Now some feel we're entitled to have 10 and 11-win season every year, and after any loss, someone must be fired. Geesh.....

Seriously, what is the real reason? He came in to a dumpster fire and has gotten on fairly solid ground. He has recruited better than any coach prior in a much more difficult time to recruit here considering we are competing with very very good recruiters in Clemson and Georgia. This team has not lived up to expectations, I will agree 100% on that, however there is growth on the offense as the season has gone and they are improving and understanding Mclendons style more and more. The defense has struggled but with injuries all season. The good news is all these guys coming back will be much more experienced than had we not had these injuries. We have more good players coming in and while next year may be 7-5 based on schedule I truly think by 2020 we will have a team that on defense resembles what Muschamp had at Florida. Offense, while breaking in new QB, will be good.
However, if we get rid of Muschamp now, then we go back to square one and in three years if it is the same thing there will be screams to get rid of that guy and then the next and the next and we will stay as a midlevel program.
VT is having a worse year than us but there is not one word on their board about getting rid of Fuente and he has been there same length as Muschamp has here.
Change for sake of change is not the way to go. If after 5-6 years we are still around .500 or just above, then maybe start looking but after three years, get real and find better things to do than want another coach gone.

Let's revisit this post after November 24...

If VT instate rival was playing for national championships every year now, yes they would be complaining.

He’s not going anywhere before 2021. We can be upset all we want but it’s not going to change. I hope by then we are winning big. I was upset like everyone else on Saturday but he’s here at least till 2021 so I hope by then he’s got us winning and proves everyone wrong.

Yes, WM has seemingly been a relentless recruiter, with fairly positive results. I think for many of us it's just a growing concern that he's not a good game-day coach. We're moving toward the end of his third season and he just hasn't notched any really good wins. I'm not ready to change just yet, but my concern is growing with the mounting losses against quality opponents. He's had three goes at UGA, Texas A&M, and UK, and can't get a win. Ahead by 17 points last week, and I was worried he might let up on the gas and allow the Gators to come back. Recruits well. Talks X's and O's well. Acts passionate. But then game-day comes and things go south. I hope he can improve. I wish he would bring in a proven OC. We shall see.
I keep seeing this about Bmac. Dude has installed an offense that works. Calls a great game. did we have the dropsies yes but replace a OC because the WR got the yips? Some folks are out of their minds.

Muschamp gets two more years minimum. I like most of what he's doing with two exceptions: 1. He needs to make sure the team is making effective adjustments during the game. Maybe we were spoiled by Spurrier (he was the master) but other staffs appear to be a few steps ahead of us. Not always- but too often. 2. I don't care for his messaging style. He's bland, bloodless, repeats the same stuff over and over again (at the end of the day). He makes it look like being a SEC head coach is no fun at all- and being around him is no fun at all. Again, I probably just miss Spurrier's character. He made it fun for us sometimes and I'm sure he made it fun for the kids sometimes.

Maybe one more thing- I think Spurrier coached the kids up but when gameday came he was more likely to give the players a chance to make a play. "Give them a chance" was something I heard him say more than once. More likely to take a calculated risk, and the players knew it- they knew if he practiced it- it would happen during the game. They needed to be ready and do it the way coach wanted. Nick Jones and Dylan Thompson were the masters of this.

Anyway- I'm good with coach but can we maybe make it just tiny bit fun?

In an article I read today it sounded like he's been teaching tackling since he's got here but can't understand why we're so bad at it. He also made it sound like he'd have to recruit better tacklers to get better. It's those kind of comments that makes one say- what??? It's no wonder why a lot of fans are questioning his coaching ability.

Muschamp gets two more years minimum. I like most of what he's doing with two exceptions: 1. He needs to make sure the team is making effective adjustments during the game. Maybe we were spoiled by Spurrier (he was the master) but other staffs appear to be a few steps ahead of us. Not always- but too often. 2. I don't care for his messaging style. He's bland, bloodless, repeats the same stuff over and over again (at the end of the day). He makes it look like being a SEC head coach is no fun at all- and being around him is no fun at all. Again, I probably just miss Spurrier's character. He made it fun for us sometimes and I'm sure he made it fun for the kids sometimes.

Maybe one more thing- I think Spurrier coached the kids up but when gameday came he was more likely to give the players a chance to make a play. "Give them a chance" was something I heard him say more than once. More likely to take a calculated risk, and the players knew it- they knew if he practiced it- it would happen during the game. They needed to be ready and do it the way coach wanted. Nick Jones and Dylan Thompson were the masters of this.

Anyway- I'm good with coach but can we maybe make it just tiny bit fun?

How much fun can it be with fans like (some of ) ours?!??

I want you gone too.

Jk-valid points.

I want a team that can compete and not a team that wins games with sheer luck. Against the same teams that are being destroyed by our closest rivals, we squeak by. That is not what I expected to see in our third year. Teams being coached by first year coaches are kicking the asses of good schools we just can not seem to beat. UT over UK and UF over LSU. That can be explained in one word...coaching. Here is an honest question for you that posted this original post. Do you really think he is going to make us a contender for the SEC Title ? Our AD selected a coach from a program where two other coaches had won national championships. This same guy ran their otherwise successful program into the ground. Then you bring that guy to a school that has suffered with mediocrity for most of its history. He may be the guy USC needs to be a middle of the pack team that can beat Clemson once every five or six years, but otherwise I just don't see it. That being said, I still think any coach should be entitled to five years, no matter how bad they are now.

Last edited:
Here's my take:
I think Champ is a heckuva coach and we are lucky to have him and his staff. Look at the jobs he's had even when he got fired from Florida, they were all better football schools than us so that should tell you something.
The answer to our problems is to continue to recruit. We do not have a coaching problem.
The thought of firing Muschamp after year 3 is pure idiocy.
Even if we did who would we get? Who's gonna come here after you've canned one of the most respected coaches in the business after year 3. I keep hearing Neal Brown, that's comical.
We lost to Florida because we gave up 376 on the ground and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Offense did plenty to win that game.
Our defensive woes are the result of youth and/or strength on the DL. Aside from Kinlaw and an injured Wonnum we have to get these other guys a good year in the weightroom. Clyde Wrenn said at the beginning of the year we would struggle on the DL for another year but then we would be good.
Muschamp is not as involved offensively as many of you think. McClendon is proving he can do it weekly.
Right now we need to keep recruiting, keep being supportive, and realize we were spoiled the first two years. It's coming. I believe. We don't want to be a school that goes through coaches every 4 years and never accomplishes much. Colorado is seeing that now.

I want a team that can compete and not a team that wins games with sheer luck. Against the same teams that are being destroyed by our closest rivals, we squeak by. That is not what I expected to see in our third year. Teams being coached by first year coaches are kicking the asses of good schools we just can not seem to beat. UT over UK and UF over LSU. That can be explained in one word...coaching. Here is an honest question for you that posted this original post. Do you really think he is going to make us a contender for the SEC Title ? Our AD selected a coach from a program where two other coaches had won national championships. This same guy ran their otherwise successful program into the ground. Then you bring that guy to a school that has suffered with mediocrity for most of its history. He may be the guy USC needs to be a middle of the pack team that can beat Clemson once every five or six years, but otherwise I just don't see it. That being said, I still think any coach should be entitled to five years, no matter how bad they are now.

Honest question, what did kind of record did you expect by year 3?

Muschamp has us close....we should have beat tamu/uf/uk. Is so we are happy campers. Since not ...we are not so happy campers. I truly think the D will come around next season. We need to quit losing games we should win. We aint catching the taters this year or next so besides bama we need to and can beat any other team on the schedule. But if we dont get better we can lose any game also.

Reactions: rogue cock
Based on play. Have we forgotten Florida already? Let's be honest with ourselves, Muschamp was Tanner's third or fourth option because he is pedestrian as a head coach at this point in his career.

Not sure what his previous jobs or what choice he may have been affects anything. You don't dump your wife because she had an affair when she was in college or because your high school sweetheart married someone else. How bout stick to the only thing that should be important to us, his time here.

Honestly, JS, you probably inadvertently answered the OP's question. A lot of fans want him gone because they think he was our 3rd or 4th choice and because he was fired from Florida, plain and simple. They've been calling for his head since day 1.

seriously, we have the most impatient fans and a lot of it is because of clemson being where they are....some of our fans just cant get over that fact....when sos was winning 11 games a year all he had to worry about mostly was uga.....he couldnt do any better now than champ has done.....and for the record even with a tougher schedule he will still win at least as many games in his 1st 3 yrs as sos did....so basically all the whiners on this board are just that,,,whiners....sorry guys but facts are facts.....and yall are like liberals that hate trump...doesnt matter what he does you aint gonna like it....he could cure cancer and you would bitch about all the jobs that were lost because of it...so keep recruiting Will and if our idiot fanbase doesnt get you run off then one day we can reap the benefits of being patient.....remember one thing....the offense has always been Will's downfall, it appears to be going in the right direction now and yes we have been thin on defense and we shoulda known that....but we know he can put a defense on the field so now is definitely not the time to be acting hastily as some on here believe...and after reading these facts the same ones will still be bitching about it....that is guaranteed...

Not sure what his previous jobs or what choice he may have been affects anything. You don't dump your wife because she had an affair when she was in college or because your high school sweetheart married someone else. How bout stick to the only thing that should be important to us, his time here.

Honestly, JS, you probably inadvertently answered the OP's question. A lot of fans want him gone because they think he was our 3rd or 4th choice and because he was fired from Florida, plain and simple. They've been calling for his head since day 1.
I know, I'm one of them. Muschamp's sole appeal was/is his ability to recruit. I understand not upsetting the apple cart perspective but we still have to have someone coach the recruits we get. I don't have a lot of confidence in his ability to develop players at this point. When we lost EJ and Lawing, that's what we have been missing ever since. Coaches who develop talent.

Our 3 11-win seasons in hindsight are proving to be poison. Our fan-base (at least a lot of them on this and other boards) weren't/aren't capable of handing that success. Now some feel we're entitled to have 10 and 11-win season every year, and after any loss, someone must be fired. Geesh.....

I disagree wholeheartedly with your assessment. For the first time in my lifetime (1958), we actually beat our arch-rival five straight years in a row. And as you recall, most of those games were games our team dominated with a strong defense. These were not fluke wins with last second scores or missed kicks from the Tigers. These were wins by a much better team that was beating an ACC team that was heading to the ACC Championship during some of those seasons. So SOS showed it could be done. Anyone that claims we are feeling ENTITLED must have forgotten the fact that we still putting 60,000 plus fans in the stands during an 0-11 season and countless other seasons of miserable Gamecock Football. What we can't handle anymore is lousy football and your are damn right we have endured enough crap over the last 100 years that winning is the only thing acceptable moving forward...PERIOD!

I disagree wholeheartedly with your assessment. For the first time in my lifetime (1958), we actually beat our arch-rival five straight years in a row. And as you recall, most of those games were games our team dominated with a strong defense. These were not fluke wins with last second scores or missed kicks from the Tigers. These were wins by a much better team that was beating an ACC team that was heading to the ACC Championship during some of those seasons. So SOS showed it could be done. Anyone that claims we are feeling ENTITLED must have forgotten the fact that we still putting 60,000 plus fans in the stands during an 0-11 season and countless other seasons of miserable Gamecock Football. What we can't handle anymore is lousy football and your are damn right we have endured enough crap over the last 100 years that winning is the only thing acceptable moving forward...PERIOD!
Why is that ^^^^^^^ so hard for some to understand?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
He's 29-27 in SEC. HES A :500 guy with now a huge body of work in conference play. He had much more talent in Florida and finished 2 games above 500. He's had less talent at SC and is 500. After next years schedule he should be at the most around 500 still or more than likely under it here. It's what the fans expect. SC has pretty much floated around this type of result more years than not the last century. He has the problem of following Spurrier and facing our rival which is the 2nd best program in the Nation now. Do I think he'll turn us into a National power?Definitely not but the best thing that can happen to him and us is Clemson take a step back. We'll never join them at the level they're at now so hopefully they'll fall back down to a level that makes us feel better about going 7-5.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
He's 29-27 in SEC. HES A :500 guy with now a huge body of work in conference play. He had much more talent in Florida and finished 2 games above 500. He's had less talent at SC and is 500. After next years schedule he should be at the most around 500 still or more than likely under it here. It's what the fans expect. SC has pretty much floated around this type of result more years than not the last century. He has the problem of following Spurrier and facing our rival which is the 2nd best program in the Nation now. Do I think he'll turn us into a National power?Definitely not but the best thing that can happen to him and us is Clemson take a step back. We'll never join them at the level they're at now so hopefully they'll fall back down to a level that makes us feel better about going 7-5.
Historically, that's the gospel. Until we get a BOT that is in lock step with the athletic department, i.e...Bama, Clemson, Georgia, etc....we will forever be mediocre.

Honest question, what did kind of record did you expect by year 3?
It's not the record...its being competitive. We are in our third year...the season is shot. Unless winning seven games was the goal all alone with wins over UT-C and the Zips. We should have blown out Ole Miss when we were up 17-3. But no, we fall behind by 10 before winning in a West Coast style game. We then go on the road again and blown a 17 point lead to those Florida pukes! Truth be told, they could have scored another touchdown but since winning was the goal a few kneel-downs kept the score respectable. We get destroyed by UK and the coach says they were not playing where they were supposed to be. That is coaching. We tied Texas A/M and the entire stadium is rocking during the timeout leading to the fourth quarter. We all want to see a third and out by our defense. All we see is first down after first down as they drive 80 plus yards for a score. Georgia just outright embarrassed us with a third year coach...hired the same year we brought in the Boom. And many of those running backs they have now were recruited in past three years. They are light years ahead of us. It's not about wins. Its about being a competitive team. A team someone want to come play for. Not a team that gets embarrassed on the national stage during hype week against UGA. Does that answer your question?

PS: Saban inherited a horrible program from Shula and finished his first season at 6-6 with a bowl loss to some team. The next season they finished the regular season undefeated and trashed Auburn in the process. The same Auburn team that had beaten them six years in a row. Expectations...they call it The Process. Here we just keep up The Excuses.

Last edited:
I keep seeing this about Bmac. Dude has installed an offense that works. Calls a great game. did we have the dropsies yes but replace a OC because the WR got the yips? Some folks are out of their minds.
Disagree with your assessment that Bmac "calls a great game." In my opinion, the play calling has been horrible half the time. And I slept in a Holiday Inn last night. So there. You lose!

A lot of people were giving him shit about interfering with th
It's not the record...its being competitive. We are in our third year...the season is shot. Unless winning seven games was the goal all alone with wins over UT-C and the Zips. We should have blown out Ole Miss when we were up 17-3. But no, we fall behind by 10 before winning in a West Coast style game. We then go on the road again and blown a 17 point lead to those Florida pukes! Truth be told, they could have scored another touchdown but since winning was the goal a few kneel-downs kept the score respectable. We get destroyed by UK and the coach says they were not playing where they were supposed to be. That is coaching. We tied Texas A/M and the entire stadium is rocking during the timeout leading to the fourth quarter. We all want to see a third and out by our defense. All we see is first down after first down as they drive 80 plus yards for a score. Georgia just outright embarrassed us with a third year coach...hired the same year we brought in the Boom. And many of those running backs they have now were recruited in past three years. They are light years ahead of us. It's not about wins. Its about being a competitive team. A team someone want to come play for. Not a team that gets embarrassed on the national stage during hype week against UGA. Does that answer your question?

Not really. Some people have been calling for Muschamp's head since day 1, I have no idea if that includes you or not.

So you don't/didn't have any expectations for year 1, 2 or 3, win/loss wise, just as long as we are competitive? Personally, I just want to see improvement. I want wins to increase and talent to increase, though talent usually helps with wins.

To get a better coach. Which may or may not be the case. I agree Muschamp needs a little more time.

The factors of our rival being a national contender mixed with the success we had 10-13 gave hope that we could contend at the highest level and fans want the team to get there quicker rather than later.
Agreed. I know it's hard to be patient when Clemson is in the CFP every year, but Muschamp's rebuild is still on-schedule. Winning 9 games last year was a surprise so everyone thought the team was ready to take another big step forward this season. But last year was a bit of an aberration. Playing close games almost every week in the SEC East is where the program really is right now and that's not so bad. It shows that the program is consistently competitive and could win a lot of games with just modest improvement on defense and a true difference-maker at QB. Muschamp's got Hilinski coming in at QB and he'll eventually get the defense fixed because that's what he does best. So, just give it another year or two and I think fans will be pretty happy.

If some had their way even Spurrier would be gone in three years, it took him, what six years to win nine games?

I remember some threads on here calling for Spurries head after the Auburn loss in 2010. "Spurrier can't win here." "Spurrier is too old." They'll never fess up to it but if Hyman had been as short sighted, we would not have had that successful run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT