ADVERTISEMENT

Zeb to start vs EIU

I dont want to see us just run the ball all day. We have to get the WRs and TEs involved and pass the ball some. I would like to see 200 yards rushing and 200 yards passing.
I'd rather not either, but if all Zeb has to do is hand the ball off and throw a couple of easy passes to get the win then I'm find with it. Hopefully, he doesn't have to throw for 300 yards for us to win against EIU.

I'd rather not either, but if all Zeb has to do is hand the ball off and throw a couple of easy passes to get the win then I'm find with it. Hopefully, he doesn't have to throw for 300 yards for us to win against EIU.
I think if he gives us 120-130 yds in the first half we will be fine...and with the running game give us enough cushion to play others.

Wow, name calling.

Arm strength is one component. It doesn't matter if a pitcher can throw a baseball 100 mph. If he can't throw strikes, he'll be sitting on the bench. The best pitcher is the one that throws strikes.

You seem to know alot about Brown, more than the most of us it seems, so answer this question...if he's a player, why'd he come in out of shape? Rule #1 going into practice, be in friggin shape. It's the one thing you can control and he didn't do it. Why?
I do know what talent looks like. I have evaluated talent more than 40 of my life. Brown has a unique gift .His was blessed with a really really good arm. Brown is a playmaker with the ball in his hand. Being out of shape he has to answer to that.

What we really needed this past season were receivers that could run routes and top it off by actually catching the football. If that hasn't changed this season, it won't matter who we have throwing the ball.
Bingo, which is exactly why I hope we make an effort to see what we’ve got downfield instead of 60 minutes of running the ball sprinkled with swings and dumps. We HAVE TO HAVE playmaking receivers as the season moves on or we’re dead.

Do we still have the WR that transferred from GT or did he portal out on us?

Bingo, which is exactly why I hope we make an effort to see what we’ve got downfield instead of 60 minutes of running the ball sprinkled with swings and dumps. We HAVE TO HAVE playmaking receivers as the season moves on or we’re dead.

Do we still have the WR that transferred from GT or did he portal out on us

Do we still have the WR that transferred from GT or did he portal out on us?
To be honest I don't think Doty or Zeb can stretch the field with consistent accuracy. Maybe Zeb has a chance but we'll see.

Reactions: Ldgator
5lfgpa.jpg

To be honest I don't think Doty or Zeb can stretch the field with consistent accuracy. Maybe Zeb has a chance but we'll see.
Doty completed 64% of his passes in HS and here is his scouting report:

"Athletic build with muscle mass and no bad weight. Has more than adequate height for the position and has increased his lower body mass and strength in recent years. One of the more athletic signal caller in the 2020 class, owning the best athletic testing numbers at the position entering the 2019 offseason. An explosive athlete who saw his first extended time as a starter in the 2018 season. A legitimate dual threat with a solid mechanical foundation as a passer. Throws a tight, clean ball which leads to consistent accuracy and ball location. Displays accuracy and touch to all levels of the field, excelling in red zone touch throws. Has the ability to develop into one of the nation’s more dangerous runners at the position with outstanding top end speed and a long stride. Has the ability to pull away from defenders. Led his team to a state championship in his first year as a full-time starter with a dominant playoff run. Has the reputation of a top competitor with a high energy level. Can continue to improve arm strength and an aggressive mentality in anticipatory throws and driving the ball with veolcity downfield. Has the upside of developing into more of a run threat in addition to increasing creativity in off-script situations, given his natural tools. Projects as a high level Power 5 starting quarterback with the upside of developing into a NFL Draft pick."

Pretty darned good. And he completed 61% last year with a very poor pass blocking OL and a bunch of inconsistent receivers.

As the GA he drew the pass routes out so I think he got the job because he knows the playbook inside and out. Let's go!
And like i said, put ANYONE else in and he throws for 400 yards against an Obviously inferior team, then QB controversy starts!! No matter what this kid does, Its Doty's team..

True but keep it mind who he was backing up at North Dakota St . There’s not a starting QB in the SEC right now who would beat out Trey Lance for any job . I think he’s just a placeholder until Doty gets back but at this point what has Doty done to solidify the QB position ?? I think it’s a crapshoot either way
Lance played in their one fall 2020 game against Central Arkansas. Last spring Noland started for a few games at NDSU and then was replaced by a true freshman in the playoffs - the freshman ended the season 30-59 for 363 yards, 2TDS and 3 INTs. Now maybe the coaches were playing for the future, but you don't bench your starter for the playoffs. As long as he can throw a short route and hand the ball off seamlessly, I'm good with that.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Hey genius just because Zeb is starting has nothing to do with Brown arm .Brown still has the better arm. The Coaches feel more comfortable with Zeb because he has been in this offense before. Brown has not.
Brown was in a spread offense throwing the ball and utilizing his strength. His arm. What do you not get .
Lol Brown has an ELITE arm, or so you posted several times before. Well maybe it's his decision making that isn't elite, cause he got beat out by a GA!!

No your not an idiot like some on here .You are stuck on pass completions which does not tell the whole story.
What a tool, so here goes.."I can throw the ball a 100 yards, it isn't accurate and I don't complete a high percentage but damn do I have an ELITE arm"...get over it, your "boy" couldn't beat out a dude who was assisting coaches just a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I do know what talent looks like. I have evaluated talent more than 40 of my life. Brown has a unique gift .His was blessed with a really really good arm. Brown is a playmaker with the ball in his hand. Being out of shape he has to answer to that.
So apparently you are a better judge of talent than every team that scouts the tidewater/piedmont area of Virginia. Then most of those same coaches missed the 2nd bite at the cherry when he decided to leave St Francis. it isn't like scouts weren't watching his games as a junior/senior because he was in the same class at the same school as Yetur Gross-Matos who held scholarships from and was pursued by basically every team in the south east and all the big ten schools. So somehow every one of those teams just whiffed on this "elite" QB not once but twice?

So apparently you are a better judge of talent than every team that scouts the tidewater/piedmont area of Virginia. Then most of those same coaches missed the 2nd bite at the cherry when he decided to leave St Francis. it isn't like scouts weren't watching his games as a junior/senior because he was in the same class at the same school as Yetur Gross-Matos who held scholarships from and was pursued by basically every team in the south east and all the big ten schools. So somehow every one of those teams just whiffed on this "elite" QB not once but twice?
Thank you. That was my initial point....he was in an area that is very highly recruited by the B1G, ACC and SEC and I'm sure by some Big 12 and PAC schools. No way a player in that region gets overlooked by all the schools that recruit there.. Not to mention all the B-5 schools that occasionally find a diamond with a few rough edges in that region.

Last edited:
Reactions: chief2791
Hey genius just because Zeb is starting has nothing to do with Brown arm .Brown still has the better arm. The Coaches feel more comfortable with Zeb because he has been in this offense before. Brown has not.
Brown was in a spread offense throwing the ball and utilizing his strength. His arm. What do you not get .

lol, you are indefatigable, I'll give you that.

Once again you people hear what you want to hear. Never said nothing about the Coaches not knowing anything .Clean your ears out.

So apparently you are a better judge of talent than every team that scouts the tidewater/piedmont area of Virginia. Then most of those same coaches missed the 2nd bite at the cherry when he decided to leave St Francis. it isn't like scouts weren't watching his games as a junior/senior because he was in the same class at the same school as Yetur Gross-Matos who held scholarships from and was pursued by basically every team in the south east and all the big ten schools. So somehow every one of those teams just whiffed on this "elite" QB not once but twice

Thank you. That was my initial point....he was in an area that is very highly recruited by the B1G, ACC and SEC and I'm sure by some Big 12 and PAC schools. No way a player in that region get overlooked by all the schools that recruit there.. Not to mention all the B-5 schools that occasionally find a diamond with a few rough edges in that region.
So, you don't think coaches make mistakes. It happens all the time. Football, Baseball, Basketball.

You have seen practices?

Just want to make sure that I’m keeping up with the nuances of this thread.

Brown can’t be any good because he wasn’t recruited by any big schools.

Noland is experienced not because he played but because he backed up a guy who wasn’t recruited by any big schools.

Doty completed 64% of his passes in HS and here is his scouting report:

"Athletic build with muscle mass and no bad weight. Has more than adequate height for the position and has increased his lower body mass and strength in recent years. One of the more athletic signal caller in the 2020 class, owning the best athletic testing numbers at the position entering the 2019 offseason. An explosive athlete who saw his first extended time as a starter in the 2018 season. A legitimate dual threat with a solid mechanical foundation as a passer. Throws a tight, clean ball which leads to consistent accuracy and ball location. Displays accuracy and touch to all levels of the field, excelling in red zone touch throws. Has the ability to develop into one of the nation’s more dangerous runners at the position with outstanding top end speed and a long stride. Has the ability to pull away from defenders. Led his team to a state championship in his first year as a full-time starter with a dominant playoff run. Has the reputation of a top competitor with a high energy level. Can continue to improve arm strength and an aggressive mentality in anticipatory throws and driving the ball with veolcity downfield. Has the upside of developing into more of a run threat in addition to increasing creativity in off-script situations, given his natural tools. Projects as a high level Power 5 starting quarterback with the upside of developing into a NFL Draft pick."

Pretty darned good. And he completed 61% last year with a very poor pass blocking OL and a bunch

You have seen practices?

Again, WHAT type

I would say the chances are infinitesimal....and missing a second time around absolutely negligible.
I've been coaching for many of years and we all make mistakes on a kid.

Just want to make sure that I’m keeping up with the nuances of this thread.

Brown can’t be any good because he wasn’t recruited by any big schools.

Noland is experienced not because he played but because he backed up a guy who wasn’t recruited by any big schools.
"[C]an't be any good" No, I don't think anyone is saying that. Has an elite strong and accurate arm that all the coaches that recruit in one of the highest recruited areas in the country somehow missed... Absolutely stating that.

Regarding Noland....know nothing other than he is a former GA who somehow surpassed the kid with the golden (undiscovered) arm.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT